Aaron Dobson Comparison

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Aaron Dobson Comparison

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'll give a guy like Jones a shot because at least he's got some size, speed and experience in the NFL. A guy like that has never had the benefit of playing with a Tom Brady either. On the other hand a guy like Jenkins was a real head scratcher (as to why we even signed him in the first place).

Jones is at best a slot receiver, and I think we have better slot options ahead of him like Amendola, Boyce, Edelman and even TJ Moe who is crazy quick.  He might become superman with Brady or even prove to be a sold outside receiver, but he'd better get off to a fast start.  

Jenkins is tall, fast and talented but can't stay healthy for anything, he might need to add some weight.  If he could stay healthy you'd be hard pressed to cut him but it seems unlikely.  But both have upside and if some other player doesn't get through camp healthy, one of these guys can bail you out if they reach their potential.

I must be thinking of a different Jenkins....I'm talking about the guy we got from the Vikings who was a former first round pick, who's nickname is molasses. That Jenkins is one of the slowest wide receivers in the NFL and has little quickness, but is big enough to almost be considered a pass catching TE.

I didn't know that Jones ever even played in the slot, if he does then I can't see him sticking because there are so many guys in front of him.

Dobson is a guy I'm looking forward to watching because before the draft he was the one guy I didn't want them to draft. He looked stiff to me and I thought he was exactly the type we usually never go for. So with him I'm very curious, because when you are only watching internet stuff you never get to see the whole picture...there has got to be more to this guy for us to take him in the second round.

The internet stuff on Boyce is kind of interesting too, because to me it looks like if he had a better QB he would of had more plays. And at his size it's surprising he can run that fast - to me he looks almost like a running back when the ball is in his hands - he's just real bulkie/stout. He kind of reminds me of Boldin.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

this is the same Aaron Dobson who has been outplayed by Molasses Mike Jenkins thus far in OTA's......

Wow.  It use to be that rookies had to be all pro by the end of training camp before they were considered busts.  Now it's the first OTA session.  Tough crowd.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

i doubt it! i think it's the athlete and the ability not the gloves

if it were that easy anybody could be an nfl wr and also make such catches but i dont see that happening anytime soon-and the old guys didn't make those catches not because they didnt have the gloves but because they couldn't-they didn't have today's players skill level and athleticism

Maybe I chose the wrong all-timer yesterday

What about Paul Warfield or Lynn Swann? Were they less skilled or less athletically gifted than today's WR's? Youll have a hard time convincing me of that

Despite their talent, neither one ever made the one-handed "velcro" sn atch out of the air play that seems so ommonplace nowdays. At least I dont think they did

And PS not to start anything with you, but David Tyree...if he plays SB42 barehanded, the ball bounces off his head and lands harmlessly incomplete

You know it too. Dont even lie lol

Edit: The word s-n-a-t-c-h is a banned word here apparently. So funny

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I must be thinking of a different Jenkins....I'm talking about the guy we got from the Vikings who was a former first round pick, who's nickname is molasses. That Jenkins is one of the slowest wide receivers in the NFL and has little quickness, but is big enough to almost be considered a pass catching TE.

I didn't know that Jones ever even played in the slot, if he does then I can't see him sticking because there are so many guys in front of him.

Dobson is a guy I'm looking forward to watching because before the draft he was the one guy I didn't want them to draft. He looked stiff to me and I thought he was exactly the type we usually never go for. So with him I'm very curious, because when you are only watching internet stuff you never get to see the whole picture...there has got to be more to this guy for us to take him in the second round.

The internet stuff on Boyce is kind of interesting too, because to me it looks like if he had a better QB he would of had more plays. And at his size it's surprising he can run that fast - to me he looks almost like a running back when the ball is in his hands - he's just real bulkie/stout. He kind of reminds me of Boldin.

I'm sure fans who think little of a high draft pick who can't seem to stay healthy will give them all sorts of nicknames.  I'll have to concede Jenkins must have lost some speed since he ran a 4.4 as a rookie, his average per catch isn't that impressive.  

I'm not sure Jones has ever played the slot either but considering how paltry his average per catch is it's not hard to say the guy has little ability with YAC.  Don't know that we need an oversized, average athleticism slot guy but we surely don't need on out on an island.

Dobson, Boyce and Moe have me fired up for some offense this year, bring on football already!