Aaron Dobson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Aaron Dobson

Here's something from Mike Reiss of ESPN.com....

"Every team hopes for the often-discussed "second-year" jump for its key young talent, and along those lines, Gil Brandt identifies 10 players across the NFL that he believes will make the biggest leap in 2014. 

Patriots receiver Aaron Dobson is one of them. 

"The former second-round pick has the quickness to beat press coverage and an ability to make some spectacular catches, despite having relatively small hands," Brandt writes on NFL.com. "He can make adjustments on the ball and is a good blocker for a receiver. He's got some special stuff about him." 

Health is obviously part of the discussion with Dobson, as his offseason work has been altered after undergoing surgery for a stress fracture in his foot. 

Dobson had 37 catches for 519 yards and four touchdowns last season, and Brandt predicts he'll more than double his receptions in 2014, while also eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark."

I certainly hope he hits these predicted marks, and shows himself to be the deep threat Pats have been looking for, and at the very least, a "mini-Moss" from Marshall!

Boston, City of Champions!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Re: Aaron Dobson

He played injured for a good part of last year, and the first handful of weeks it was clear he was not ready to be the go to guy.  However, he also showed flashes of what he can be in this system once more familiar with it, and healthy.  I'm really looking forward to what he can do in year two, because he most certainly has the skills and might be the answer at WR that we've all been hoping for since the loss of Moss. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Dobson needs to do a number of things all of which can go one way or the other:

1) Needs to stay healthy - he can only do so much to help ensure this and the rest lets just hope his body can hold up

2) Needs to learn to fight for the ball - One of his biggest knocks coming out of college is that he doesn't fight well for the ball. Seems a bit weird considering he's a more than willing blocker but he does have issues out fighting for balls in the air

3) Needs to generate separation - another knock coming out was his inability to generate more separation given his size and speed. He can fix this by practicing coming in and out of routes cleaner and to be more agressive with his routes instead of trying to dance around CB's. This is partially linked to #2

4) He needs to slow the game day - At times it looked like the game was moving too fast for him. Not sure how to fix this but if things don't start slowing down for him expect more drops and confused looks when the ball comes his way

He can mentally work on and fix those issues then he's got a good shot at making that jump but if he's still timid with CB's while running routes, doesn't run cleaner routes to generate separation, and things don't slow down he could be in trouble early on. The talent is their and did flash at times but he needs to pull it together and slow it down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Maybe he will run the right routes this year. That would be a big improvement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Well the good news is he's going to be practicing against talent that should make most game days a joke by comparison. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

If healthy Dobson should be able to make the jump. IMO last year he was overly concerned with making the correct adjustments on his patterns and seemed to be late locating the ball due to this. I think with a full year under his belt he should be more comfortable in the system. If he is more comfortable it will take care of some of the issues he had last year. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FourthRing. Show FourthRing's posts

Dead on, he wastes movement.  Too much in the shoulders and arms.  ADob should watch some tapes of Randy and Jerry to understand how to use your body effectively and efficiently.  He needs to run with more body control to allow for crisps route and use his positioning to box out.  Especially along the side lines last year, as was said, he tried to get over the top.  He needs to learn the positioning along the sidelines that his body size should allow aka Aquin Boldin.   

He seems to know how, because when he does make his tough catches, he puts himself in tight spots with the right leverage.  I think KT "Liberty City" was much more mature in that aspect.  KT is a disciplined route runner, or at least the routes he thought he was supposed to run. 

They both have to develop their chemistry with T12 and read Ds better like Jules is able to do. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Dobson has the talent.  I think he has the potential to be much more improved this season.  He's one of the guys I'll be keeping a close eye on this season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He played injured for a good part of last year, and the first handful of weeks it was clear he was not ready to be the go to guy.  However, he also showed flashes of what he can be in this system once more familiar with it, and healthy.  I'm really looking forward to what he can do in year two, because he most certainly has the skills and might be the answer at WR that we've all been hoping for since the loss of Moss. 

[/QUOTE]

Dobbie the House Elf has his work cut out for him. Apart from his foot, perhaps he was thinking too much - and caused him to have the dropsies.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Here's something from Mike Reiss of ESPN.com....

"Every team hopes for the often-discussed "second-year" jump for its key young talent, and along those lines, Gil Brandt identifies 10 players across the NFL that he believes will make the biggest leap in 2014. 

Patriots receiver Aaron Dobson is one of them. 

"The former second-round pick has the quickness to beat press coverage and an ability to make some spectacular catches, despite having relatively small hands," Brandt writes on NFL.com. "He can make adjustments on the ball and is a good blocker for a receiver. He's got some special stuff about him." 

Health is obviously part of the discussion with Dobson, as his offseason work has been altered after undergoing surgery for a stress fracture in his foot. 

Dobson had 37 catches for 519 yards and four touchdowns last season, and Brandt predicts he'll more than double his receptions in 2014, while also eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark."

I certainly hope he hits these predicted marks, and shows himself to be the deep threat Pats have been looking for, and at the very least, a "mini-Moss" from Marshall!

[/QUOTE]

We shall see. Im rooting for him but I dont get excited reading articles. I could pull out one of these offseason articles for practically every player. I Myself wrote an article back in 2005 about Ben Watson and how he was gonna be the greatest thing since Ben Coates after watching him as a rookie and he never again amazed me the way he had that rookie season. Its All about how bad he wants it, how his body holds up, commitment, opportunities, confidence,etc. So while I appreciate the article, it really means nothing unless Dobson himself Puts in the work. If it was as easy as getting better because its year 2, we would have never moved on from C.Jackson, T.Price, B.Tate, etc.

For every player that had made that 2nd year leap, I bet there are 3 more who totally Dropped in their 2nd years.

Dont mean to be negative but Ive gotten excited before only to be let down so now I just stay even keel and Wait on Results.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I'm not convinced on him yet. He had a few big plays but not enough. He doesn't get much seperation. I think he lacks quickness and aggressiveness. I hope to see more next year. I think we need to draft a deep threat WR in the draft. We still should be able to find a quality WR even past the 2nd round. I like Jordan Matthews if he falls to the 3rd round. Also a small school kid named Jeff Janis could be had later. He has size, speed, and great hands.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

Tom and Dobson had some chemistry issues last year (the big one for me was @Bengals with time running out Dobson broke left towards sideline, Tom threw towards the middle - missed TD to win the game), but they seemed to figure it out a little more before the season wrapped up (I LOVE that back shoulder fade route that they hooked up on a couple of times). Like most of you, I think another offseason working with Brady will do wonders for the kid. He should recognize that too. He could be one of the most impactful receivers on the team with some extra work. 

Really good stuff from Fourth Ring. Completely agree. 

I just keep going back to this......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCdFFFAxLz0

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

AD has to prove it, and for him to prove it he has the be fully healthy...if he's fully healthy, that's step one...until then, I'm keeping all judgements at bay...One thing I will say is that he cannot afford a lost year...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Wow.  People clearly forgot the 2002 season and our rookie wrs named branch and givens.  Very easy to weed out the post 2007 fans here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

AD has to prove it, and for him to prove it he has the be fully healthy...if he's fully healthy, that's step one...until then, I'm keeping all judgements at bay...One thing I will say is that he cannot afford a lost year...

[/QUOTE]

Fair point but then again, no 2nd year player can afford to have a "lost year".  Dobson needs to get healthy and get with TB12 wherever he is.  If necessary, get Mrs. Brady's permission to get into one of the guest bedrooms, and get a lot of time with TB12 catching balls and developing trust and chemistry with the franchise.  Dobson does have the tools; he has to put in the work and show he can translate all that on gamedays!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fair point but then again, no 2nd year player can afford to have a "lost year".  Dobson needs to get healthy and get with TB12 wherever he is.  If necessary, get Mrs. Brady's permission to get into one of the guest bedrooms, and get a lot of time with TB12 catching balls and developing trust and chemistry with the franchise.  Dobson does have the tools; he has to put in the work and show he can translate all that on gamedays!

[/QUOTE]

Dobbie was supposed to do that this off-season. Foot surgery (?) put that on hold.  The other WRs on the roster should visit Brady, but I haven't heard anything about that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow.  People clearly forgot the 2002 season and our rookie wrs named branch and givens.  Very easy to weed out the post 2007 fans here.

[/QUOTE]

No we actually remember them very well. That was more than 10 years ago. You ever heard of the phrase..."what have you done lately" ?  Lately weve seen a bunch of guys CUT in their 2nd years so excuse us if we are more aware of recent history than things that happened over 10 years ago. Before My memory can get me there, Im reminded of Taylor Price, B.Tate, C.Jackson, etc, all taken in similar spots...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Dobson had the typical rookie season -- looked great at times and looked like he didn't belong on the field at others.  I saw enough to make me think he will figure it out and be more consistent in year two and provide Brady with a big target.  He had some terrible drops, but I think there was too much coming at him and he was overwhelmed at times.  We saw Dobson and Thompkins learing on the job last year, I think a lot of people expected growing pains.  I'd be surprised if he didn't catch at least 60 balls for 700+ yards - assuming no inury setbacks. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agred...that's the down side to his health issue...I'm sure the guys will be working out with Brady once they get together at the early team organized sessions and will meet in cali or here after that for informal sessions...I'm sure TB is doing that with Edleman...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

I'm worried about Dobson, Foot injuries with WR's is not good at all.. They always seem to re-occur. I have faith he will have a great season if he can stay healthy, That is a big if, we need a top tier WR in either the first or second round, I would like them to go grab one in the first (Benjamin). Also with Edelman and Amandola'a injury past.. Not to mention Boyce was hurt most of the season. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I am hoping Dobson ends up being one of the better WRs in last years class considering he was a 2nd rounder and the resume of all the guys who were drafted AFTER him. He was not mentioned in the B.R's top 50 rookies of 13'.  Outside of guys like Corradelle and Deandre who were obvious studs who went early, there were numerous guys who were in worse situations who performed better. For us to have one of the best passing attacks in the past 5 years and one of the best QBs, best offensive minds in Josh, I expected more from those guys.

R.Woods had to endure THREE different QBs, all Scrubs and he managed 40 catches for 418 and 4 tds. These are almost identical #'s to Dobsons. Woods also missed time last year.

Ace Sanders, a 4th round pick playing in J-Vill w/No QB, managed 51 catches for 484..He was taken in the 4th round.

M.Brown was undrafted so he compares to Thompkins. Thompkins was quick out the gate but hit the wall early and ended up with a modest 32 catches while Marlon showed consistency early on managed 49 grabs for 524 yards and SEVEN scores.

K.Stills, Who I wanted us to get(perfect fit), went in the 5th round like Boyce. Unlike Boyce who redshirted(my prediction in camp that was scoffed at) Stills provided a deep threat for Brees in a crowded skill position roster, he caught only 32 balls but for a whopping 642 yards, giving him a 20 ypc average.

T.Williams caught 44 for 736 and had 11 plays of 20 yards or more. 3rd round pick.

We all know what Keenan Allen did coming out in the 3rd round with concerns about health. He ended being a steal and represents the best case scenario.

I didnt expect a steal but its a bit dissapointing when you compare. He was our 1st WR taken and fell short in terms of production when you look at what other guys did, taken later, in worse situations with bad QBs and generally bad offenses.

Soooo, like I said, I saw the talent that sais he could be an Andre Roberts type, solid # 2, but not a # 1..BUT, At times last year, he looked like the next Todd Pinkston. I have no Idea how he will look next season but Im hoping better than last year for starters.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Did he have a Hand injury?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Bold call:

75 Rec 1,000 Yds 8 TDs for AD

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dobson needs to do a number of things all of which can go one way or the other:

1) Needs to stay healthy - he can only do so much to help ensure this and the rest lets just hope his body can hold up

2) Needs to learn to fight for the ball - One of his biggest knocks coming out of college is that he doesn't fight well for the ball. Seems a bit weird considering he's a more than willing blocker but he does have issues out fighting for balls in the air

3) Needs to generate separation - another knock coming out was his inability to generate more separation given his size and speed. He can fix this by practicing coming in and out of routes cleaner and to be more agressive with his routes instead of trying to dance around CB's. This is partially linked to #2

4) He needs to slow the game day - At times it looked like the game was moving too fast for him. Not sure how to fix this but if things don't start slowing down for him expect more drops and confused looks when the ball comes his way

He can mentally work on and fix those issues then he's got a good shot at making that jump but if he's still timid with CB's while running routes, doesn't run cleaner routes to generate separation, and things don't slow down he could be in trouble early on. The talent is their and did flash at times but he needs to pull it together and slow it down.

[/QUOTE]

Wow, sounds like a far cry from what "The God Father Gil Brandt" had to say. The guy only built the cowboys dynasty. He thinks Dobson is a solid 2nd year break out player from what he saw on film. I trust his opinion, and it surley doesn't sound like it "could go 1 way or the other" in Brandts opinion..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Get healthy-I understand his foot should be ok for mini camp, but Pats will be cautious with him. Full speed for summer camp however

learn the offense-if he gets the offense down pat, and is in the right place at the right time and has TB's confidence, TB will get him the ball, even with out separation. 

Sections
Shortcuts