Aaron Hernandez

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Aaron Hernandez

Anyone who follows my posts knows how high I am on this kid and his abilities.

If you're not familiar with Hernandez, I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.  He has the speed, quickness, strength, versatility and athleticism to impact from day one and will provide BB with a weapon that he can move and create mismatches all over the field.

While he won't play many snaps as an inline player, he'll provide match up nightmares in the slot or out of the backfield as he's too quick and athletic for most LB's and is too big and strong for most nickel DB's, think, Dallas Clark.

He was Tebow's offensive/pass-catching security blanket in Gainesville, has big play potential, has been productive in the toughest conference in America and is a local kid as he was born and raised a Patriots fan in Bristol, CT.

Welcome Home To New England!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: Aaron Hernandez

if he can learn to block he will be amazing. I worry that if he cannot learn to block teams will see that he is in instead of crumpler and gronkowski and know that the ball is coming to him.  However still a great pick and should make our offense that much harder for D coordinators to protect against.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Personally, I think he could suprise some folks as a blocker as he does possess great strength for his size (30 reps at 225).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Aaron Hernandez:
    Peter King in his Monday Night Quarterback column today wrote " Hernandez (at 113) was thievery; watching Florida four or five times on TV in the fall and on tape last week, I thought he looked like a bona fide NFL tight end right now." He seemed to be really high on the kid.  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/25/draft/4.html
    Posted by murghkhor

I just saw that. I wish I followed college football more and could see these guys play. From what i've heard he seems like he's going to be a great pick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

A. peter king is high on everything the pats do, literally and figuratively...so i just really wish people would stop taking his opinion seriously
    B. Aaron Hernandez went to Florida and played in a offense that doesnt even remotely look like a pro-offense
    C. he went to florida, where they arent exactly known for putting out good pros
    D. lets line him up first before annointing him the next dallas clark eh?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from umichfan. Show umichfan's posts

I watch college football probably more than the pro's.  Also I have been following the Gators for the past 4 years.  I am a big fan of Tim Tebow and I have to tell you that Hernandez was GREAT and made some pretty impressive catches.  I have watched most of the Gator games the past few years either on tv or on the internet.  I'm very happy that the Patriots were able to pick him up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

One thing that MB said that is most interesting is Hernandez versatility. With a guy like Gronk, a more inline TE, you pretty much know what your getting (if you are a defense)...good blocker, good pass catcher. He is a match up problem because of size, but you could stick your faster LB or safety on him...won't win all the time, but can win. 

With Hernandez, IF USED PROPERLY, could be a wild card type of player defenses will have to specifically scheme around. We could virtually line him up on the line, as an Hback, in the slot, etc. He's too big for a CB to cover, to fast for a LB (most LB's) to cover. His blocking is adequate, and can be improved, but when lining up as a hback, I think he could provide decent pass protection for Brady, then scoot out of the backfield ala Faulk. 

Now imagine Brady in the shotgun and Faulk on Brady's right side, Hernandez on Brady's left side. Both are pass catching options, both can handle pass protection, both can probably run. If you are a defense, what do you do? Couple this with Gronk, Moss, Edelman, Tate, etc. and you have a pretty dynamic offense that can score points and control the ball. I for one would like to see if Hernandez can run out of the backfield...anyone have an info or thoughts on this?...Could we use him as a powerback?

I know we are a long way away from opening day, but we are limited I think by only our creativity in using Hernandez with other's on the roster in terms of play calling. I honestly hope who ever is calling plays this year recognizes the weaponry and uses them right without telegraphing what the play is. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Anyone who follows my posts knows how high I am on this kid and his abilities.   This is a funny statement given this mornings top headline on the pats page :)
    Posted by batou

Haha, nice!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

One thing that MB said that is most interesting is Hernandez versatility. With a guy like Gronk, a more inline TE, you pretty much know what your getting (if you are a defense)...good blocker, good pass catcher. He is a match up problem because of size, but you could stick your faster LB or safety on him...won't win all the time, but can win.  With Hernandez, IF USED PROPERLY, could be a wild card type of player defenses will have to specifically scheme around. We could virtually line him up on the line, as an Hback, in the slot, etc. He's too big for a CB to cover, to fast for a LB (most LB's) to cover. His blocking is adequate, and can be improved, but when lining up as a hback, I think he could provide decent pass protection for Brady, then scoot out of the backfield ala Faulk.  Now imagine Brady in the shotgun and Faulk on Brady's right side, Hernandez on Brady's left side. Both are pass catching options, both can handle pass protection, both can probably run. If you are a defense, what do you do? Couple this with Gronk, Moss, Edelman, Tate, etc. and you have a pretty dynamic offense that can score points and control the ball. I for one would like to see if Hernandez can run out of the backfield...anyone have an info or thoughts on this?...Could we use him as a powerback? I know we are a long way away from opening day, but we are limited I think by only our creativity in using Hernandez with other's on the roster in terms of play calling. I honestly hope who ever is calling plays this year recognizes the weaponry and uses them right without telegraphing what the play is. 
    Posted by PatsLifer

Pats,
    Good stuff.

As for the highlighted section of your post above, I think you may see him used in some capacity out of the backfield.  While he may not take a direct hand off, Florida did run a lot of plays where he was lined up in the backfield off set from Tebow, the ball was snapped and Tebow would option pitch it to Hernandez on some sort of inside delay draw play in which he'd need to create on his own. 

Sections
Shortcuts