Abraham update

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Abraham update

By Tim Kavanagh | ESPN.com

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Abraham update

Yup and Freeney is the same type defender a sub package DE in a 4-3. We have an adequate amount of guys who can play both styles 4-3 or 3-4,no sense adding another over the hill DE.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Yup and Freeney is the same type defender a sub package DE in a 4-3. We have an adequate amount of guys who can play both styles 4-3 or 3-4,no sense adding another over the hill DE.

Among DEs last season Abraham ranked 12th in sacks, 2nd in forced fumbles and 3rd in pass deflections despite the fact that the rest of Atlanta's defensive line are JAGs.  That doesn't sound very over the hill to me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I believe the issue is money and not want. Abraham has many suitors but is asking top dollar and ain't moving off it. With all our signings and draft picks I'm thinking we no longer have any room for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

if BB is going more 3-4, this is what I was suggesting based on our draft. Abraham is a 4-3 guy and is he's supposed to really only be a subrusher for a 4-3 team at this point, a team that runs more 3-4 than normal, may not be a fit for either party.

The Pats aren't going 3-4, they're staying with a 4-3. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Pats will be multiple fronts as always, and if they bring in Abraham and if he is playing like last year, he will be on the field on passing downs, period. If they don't then one of the young guys will have to step up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think the Pats are right there with CAP spending...I have them at $114M for the top 51...about $6M in dead money pending what ever happens with the Fanene money and at $3.5 for the rookie slots...sure they can cut some one, or renegotiate some one, to make room for Abraham, but I am thinking Collins makes Abraham a moot issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Serious question:  Given the current roster, draft and the potential (uncertain, I know) availability of veteran FAs in the coming months do the Pats really need this guy?  I recognize that there is a certain implied optimism in my question but I'm beginning to think that rkarp is correct that the whole Abraham exercise is moot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

any team including the Pats takes him at between $1-1.5...I think once you go over $2M...its the Falcons, Titans and Dolphins in the race, or another team that suffers injury in camp/preseason

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

any team including the Pats takes him at between $1-1.5...I think once you go over $2M...its the Falcons, Titans and Dolphins in the race, or another team that suffers injury in camp/preseason

I think the Pats have roll over of about 6M so tyhey have that wiggle room.

I think the Pats would probably go about 2.25M, but I agree - any aging vet takes a roster spot from a promising young guy, so you are trading immediate production vs. the ability to develop someone who you might not be able to sneak to the PS and therefore lose