Absolutely Priceless

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Re: Absolutely Priceless

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

I

GB has been screwed the last 2 years on D due to not having their contracts and drafts in order going into the lockout.

Indy had to let Gomer walk with no return on him. Indy just started their rebuild with a HOF QB.

So, you're wrong.

Pitt and NYGs are now in a rebuild mode and we'll see how they do with it. BB did it in 3 years.  We'll continue to wait on Brady's performance in AFC title games or in the SB.

He's last 5 combined haven't cut the mustard.

There might be 2 people on planet earth that thinks an NFL roster consists of a QB and a few other guys on a 53 man roster. Last time I checked, it's takes 53 to win a SB. Let's just hope our best player gets his head out of his colon in time.

Bottom line: All these "screwed" teams have won championships while the Pats keep rebuilding that great young defense with Merriweathers and Chungs and Butlers and Wheatleys and Wilhites and Crables and Cunninghams and Braces . . . 

You don't think other teams have those types of signings just to fill holes and overpay for some positions? Statistically half the players in the NFL are overpaid (some might say they all are)

If you are the best team going into the playoffs you have suceeded. Sometimes teams go against a team on a roll, sometimes teams get a bad matchup and sometimes there is terrible luck. The Pats have seen all of these scenarios work against them and you could say benefitted from them also in thier first SB run. So actually winning a SB is hard to guarantee and is a little bit luck, getting close is the skill part.

How many times has the best team won the SB? How many times to get the feeling that if the SB was played over 5 times the losser of the first one would actually come out ahead in the series?

So sure the Patriots could have fielded better teams in individual years but it would likely cost them in other years. This is kind of what the article is about, they have fielded competitive teams but also stayed in excellent shape doing it any differently that they have might not have improved their performance.

You can bet they will go for underated bargains again this spring.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I would also like to point out that the critics seem to take it as a given that we would have won another SB if only stubborn ol Bill had just signed these marquee free agents they wanted.  That is a HUGE assumption.  I mean first of all most of these people don't even specify who it should have been and at what cost, but even if they did it is not nearly a given that the result would have been like they claimed.

It also would have meant that he was being dictated to as a GM based on the market at the time, which I commend him for not caving into. Meanwhile, the Dolphins overpay for guys like Dansby and we saw what the Jets did.

Buffalo, just panicked on Mario Williams and overpaid for Mark Anderson.

I applaud BB for not letting the market control the NE Patriots in the present or furture. That's the whole point.

Now, we're seeing why that's important. We can argue all day about SB 46, but arguing about somehow BB not being superb in the GM era is ludicrous.

I just wish the fans who do't get these concepts would stay out of these threads. Either learn from others or don't comment.  

What is do't?
    Well no one is saying we need a team of marquee FA's.  How about just a few good solid players.  I don't see any of the 30 DB's picked up over the past 6 years as fitting the bill.

If they were, they would still be here and contributing instead of creating DEAD money.

Any increase in talent would make the team better, it doesn't matter who, just that they are not replaced year after year after year. 

20M in wasted money last year is a result of those failed signings and what do they have to show for that 20M?  None of those players are even with the team any more.  That's the point. Why not use that money on some talent and not worry about replacing the same guys over and over, every 3 months.

They basically threw 20M in the trash.

Any increase of talent increases your chance in the play-offs.  Then you don't have to worry about a fluke play ruining your dreams.  You simply make your stop on the next play or the next, instead of sitting there helplessly, as your dreams are flushed.  Or better yet, never getting in that situation in the first place.

You said the Fins over paid for Dansby, what do you call OCHO and Ellis. and more than .20 cents for Haynesworth is over paying.

Funny, the Fins have 45M in cap space and only have 12 FA's to resign or replace, which gives them plenty to improve.

The Pat's would have the same 45M if they didn't flush 20M last year.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

The question isn't what he's doing, it's whether what he's doing really works if the goal is to win championships.  

The bottom line is that it hasn't won championships.

Yes it has.  It's won us 3.  Yes they were a while ago, but unless you have evidence that Belichick radically changed his strategy as GM in 2005 then you can't discount those 3.

Yes, it's gotten us very close.  Yes, we've been consistently good.  Yes, being good year after year increases the odds of winning a championship. But still, when we've had the chance, the team has had flaws that have prevented it from winning.

Isn't the whole point to try and increase the odds of winning a championship?  I think Belichick recognizes that the playoffs is a bit of a crapshoot because it is single elimination.  So he constructs the team so that we can consistently get a good seed in the playoffs and hopes we play well and get a few bounces that go our way.  When we won 3 out of 4 we had a lot of things go our way from the tuck rule to good health to Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds in the SB.  If Wes holds on or Asante holds on or Tyree doesn't make the helmet catch are we even having this conversation.  Football is a game of inches.  We had those inches in our favor in the early 2000's and they haven't been there for us these past few years.  I don't see that as an indictment of the approach.  Would you stop counting cards in blackjack simply because you got unlucky and didn't win a few hands?  Of course not.

Agree (I read this after I made my last post)

Actually I look at it as the PAts moves have put them in solid position to win 6-7 chanpionships and be dark horses for 2-3 more in an 11 year span. The first one they defied the odds by being a dark horse and winning. 4 times they really were the front runners and won 2 of those.

The other times they were in the top 4 and did not win.

You could say they have been slightly unlucky not to win one more SB in that time. With intangibles such being the most intensly studied team for weaknesses, feeling amongst the players that 'there WILL be a next year', anti PAts bias among officials and the NFL and always being at the bottom of the draft it is amazing they have accomplished what they have.

In todays NFL no matter how much you spend in one year you will not get a big enough advantage over other teams to be able to guarantee a win so gong for it in one year at the expense of other years does not make sense If you can get close every year with an evened out approach.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

I would also like to point out that the critics seem to take it as a given that we would have won another SB if only stubborn ol Bill had just signed these marquee free agents they wanted.  That is a HUGE assumption.  I mean first of all most of these people don't even specify who it should have been and at what cost, but even if they did it is not nearly a given that the result would have been like they claimed.

It also would have meant that he was being dictated to as a GM based on the market at the time, which I commend him for not caving into. Meanwhile, the Dolphins overpay for guys like Dansby and we saw what the Jets did.

I applaud BB for not letting the market control the NE Patriots in the present or furture. That's the whole point.

Now, we're seeing why that's important. We can argue all day about SB 46, but arguing about somehow BB not being superb in the GM era is ludicrous.

I just wish the fans who do't get these concepts would stay out of these threads. Either learn from others or don't comment.  

What is do't?
    Well no one is saying we need a team of marquee FA's.  How about just a few good solid players.  I don't see any of the 30 DB's picked up over the past 6 years as fitting the bill.

If they were, they would still be here and contributing instead of creating DEAD money.

Any increase in talent would make the team better, it doesn't matter who, just that they are not replaced year after year after year. 

20M in wasted money last year is a result of those failed signings and what do they have to show for that 20M?  None of those players are even with the team any more.  That's the point. Why not use that money on some talent and not worry about replacing the same guys over and over, every 3 months.

Any increase of talent increases your chance in the play-offs.  Then you don't have to worry about a fluke play ruining your dreams.  You simply make your stop on the next play or the next, instead of sitting there helplessly, as your dreams are flushed.  Or better yet, never getting in that situation in the first place.

You said the Fins over paid for Dansby, what do you call OCHO and Ellis. and more than .20 cents for Haynesworth is over paying.

Funny, the Fins have 45M in cap space and only have 12 FA's to resign or replace, which gives them plenty to improve.

Who is Pat and what is he possessing?

They are the team that possessed 20M in dead money and a less than talented backfield because of it.  Silly!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

What is do't?

They are the team that possessed 20M in dead money and a less than talented backfield because of it.  Silly!

Actually, some really like McCourty, Dennard and what Talib did in 2012.

Ya, I like McCourty @ safty. Dennard has potential unless he's wearing prison orange and Will Talib be back? What then?  More replacements on top of Arrington and chung?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Entitled is demanding that your team win the Super Bowl EVERY year, yes that's the goal but it's not easy, in fact it's damn hard and luck plays a large part.  

^ All this just sounds like a whole lot of whining, especially considering most of the posters above said they liked the signing of Fanene, Darius Butler, Gregory etc when they happened... until of course it didn't pan out quite like they expected... and then they were just stupid moves by BB.

"Hypocritical" comes to mind.

Cue the "I hated those signings" retorts...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The question isn't what he's doing, it's whether what he's doing really works if the goal is to win championships.  

The bottom line is that it hasn't won championships.

Yes it has.  It's won us 3.  Yes they were a while ago, but unless you have evidence that Belichick radically changed his strategy as GM in 2005 then you can't discount those 3.

I wouldn't say he radically changed his strategy, but he had higher picks to work with in the early part of the 2000s--picks that were used for impact players like Seymour and Warren and Wilfork.  He also had a core of good players like Law and Bruschi from past regimes, and he made some nice free agent acquistions like Vrabel and Patton.  

Since that time, the Pats have been very focused on value, I think--trading down, not re-signing expensive free agents for the most part, and bringing in low-cost free agents.  That has given them a lot of flexibility every year and allowed them to bring in a lot of players, many of whom have worked out.  But it also has maybe kept them from getting a few more impact players and also meant they've had a fair number of "value busts."  I don't think the teams since 2009 have been all that talented.  Belichick has gotten far with those teams because he's such a great coach, but the talent level has been the obstacle to going further I think.  Rusty likes to blame Brady and last year everyone was blaming the play calling (not enough running).  I think it's far simpler: just look at the players on the team. Not even Belichick seems to like his secondary given how many of them he's cut.  Other than Wilfork and maybe now Jones, the D line has been loaded with JAGs. The LBs are only recently straightened out.  We have no WRs anymore.  The RBs are good, the TEs are good, the O line is pretty good, the QB is good, the kickers are good, but McCourty is our best kick returner?  Eeesh . . . the talent issues are obvious.  

Yes, it's gotten us very close.  Yes, we've been consistently good.  Yes, being good year after year increases the odds of winning a championship. But still, when we've had the chance, the team has had flaws that have prevented it from winning.

Isn't the whole point to try and increase the odds of winning a championship?  I think Belichick recognizes that the playoffs is a bit of a crapshoot because it is single elimination.  So he constructs the team so that we can consistently get a good seed in the playoffs and hopes we play well and get a few bounces that go our way.  When we won 3 out of 4 we had a lot of things go our way from the tuck rule to good health to Kasay kicking the ball out of bounds in the SB.  If Wes holds on or Asante holds on or Tyree doesn't make the helmet catch are we even having this conversation.  Football is a game of inches.  We had those inches in our favor in the early 2000's and they haven't been there for us these past few years.  I don't see that as an indictment of the approach.  Would you stop counting cards in blackjack simply because you got unlucky and didn't win a few hands?  Of course not.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Entitled is demanding that your team win the Super Bowl EVERY year, yes that's the goal but it's not easy, in fact it's damn hard and luck plays a large part.  

^ All this just sounds like a whole lot of whining, especially considering most of the posters above said they liked the signing of Fanene, Darius Butler, Gregory etc when they happened... until of course it didn't pan out quite like they expected... and then they were just stupid moves by BB.

"Hypocritical" comes to mind.

Cue the "I hated those signings" retorts...

I can't speak for others, but I never got excited about any of those guys.  Butler in particular.  I remember Rusty and bunch of others talking about him as if he was the next Deion Sanders.  Bodden and Butler were going to be the tandem of the future.  We didn't need any corners. At the time I was saying corner was still an issue.  People made fun of me when I said it was good that Pats used a first round pick on McCourty.  People were saying corner wasn't a need.  They wre disappointed by the pick.  Ever since Samuel left at corner and Harrison at safety both those positions have been weak.  Tons of guys have been brought in to fill the gaps . . . but none have worked. 

Now maybe McCourty solves one of the safety problems and maybe Dennard will be one of the starting corners (though he still has to prove he can do it year in and year out) . . . but we still have holes all over the place.  We need another starting corner, ideally a longer term solution at second safety than Gregory, plus fifth and sixth DBs for our nickel and dime packages.  These are talent issues, pure and simple.  Why is it so hard for fans to be honest about these shortfalls in talent?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

What is do't?

Ya, I like McCourty @ safty. Dennard has potential unless he's wearing prison orange and Will Talib be back? What then?  More replacements on top of Arrington and chung?

You have no idea if Arrington will come back for the nickel or if someone like Wilson emergers with MCourty/what BB does in FA or in the draft.

You act like he has to have some juggernaut All Pro situation on D year after year after year and it's because you started watching the NFL around 2003 when BB had that luxury.

Any rational and sane Pats fan would rather be in this current position than any AFC combatant entering 2013 and beyond.

You're IRRATIONAL and have an unhealthy Brady obsession, which clouds your ability to see the forest for the trees.

If you like the Jets way so much, go bandwagon yourself over there. 

Again, never said they need all pro's just solid, consistent players.  Turning the DB's over every year is not sound.  We will have a minimum of 3 new DB's this year and probably more.  The same thing last year and the year before that and the year before that.

We are constantly turning them over because they are not good.  Turning them over cost money, cost continuity, and probably cost championships.

Seems to me, the person who constantly bashes TB in every post and mentions the jest in every other post is the one with the unhealthy obsession.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

What is do't?

You have no idea if Arrington will come back for the nickel or if someone like Wilson emergers with MCourty/what BB does in FA or in the draft.

You act like he has to have some juggernaut All Pro situation on D year after year after year and it's because you started watching the NFL around 2003 when BB had that luxury.

Any rational and sane Pats fan would rather be in this current position than any AFC combatant entering 2013 and beyond.

You're IRRATIONAL and have an unhealthy Brady obsession, which clouds your ability to see the forest for the trees.

Again, never said they need all pro's just solid, consistent players.  Turning the DB's over every year is not sound.  We will have a minimum of 3 new DB's this year and probably more.  The same thing last year and the year before that and the year before that.

We are constantly turning them over because they are not good.  Turning them over cost money, cost continuity, and probably cost championships.

Seems to me, the person who constantly bashes TB in every post and mentions the jest in every other post is the one with the unhealthy obsession.

He's not turning them over. He's had problems getting upgrades. Obviously, a career ending back injury for the quality Leigh Bodden didn't help matters.

Or, Ras I's injuries.   You act like he has to have a crystal ball with injuries or he is intentionally not tending to upgrading the positions.

It's sick.

Seems to me, I know what it takes to win a SB because I've seen this team win 3. And that was when Brady was a better QB in an EASIER era for our defense and a harder era for QBs.

Why do you think Brees is supremely better now than he was in SD in 2003? Why do you think Philip Rivers is overrated?

We're waiting on Brady. And yeah, I think it's comical you fell for the Jets knee  jerk approach and mock BB to this day, when you lost that debate 2 and 3 years ago.

Show me ONCE, just once where I said the Jets approach was sound.  Never have and never will.

Stop lying.

They turn the DB's over because they suck.  Wilhite sucked, Merri and Wheatley sucked DELTA O"NEAL REALLY SUCKED, and everyone else, sucked.

Do you notice the teams with good D's have played together for more than 3 months.  UGH

I don't want to see another year (5 is enough) of a sucky D.  If they don't do something this year it will be more of the same.  Window's are closing and the clock is ticking.

Time to stop screwing around and put some meat on the plate.  I'm tired of lemonade, even if it is from freshly squeezed lemons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

On DBs, would we have been better off trying to keep Asante Samuel?  Samuel has his flaws, but he's still a lot better than much of what we've had back there since Samuel left.  Sometimes perfection is the enemy of the good . . . 

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

What is do't?

He's not turning them over. He's had problems getting upgrades. Obviously, a career ending back injury for the quality Leigh Bodden didn't help matters.

Or, Ras I's injuries.   You act like he has to have a crystal ball with injuries or he is intentionally not tending to upgrading the positions.

It's sick.

Seems to me, I know what it takes to win a SB because I've seen this team win 3. And that was when Brady was a better QB in an EASIER era for our defense and a harder era for QBs.

Why do you think Brees is supremely better now than he was in SD in 2003? Why do you think Philip Rivers is overrated?

We're waiting on Brady. And yeah, I think it's comical you fell for the Jets knee  jerk approach and mock BB to this day, when you lost that debate 2 and 3 years ago.

Show me ONCE, just once where I said the Jets approach was sound.  Never have and never will.

Stop lying.

They turn the DB's over because they suck.  Wilhite sucked, Merri and Wheatley sucked DELTA O"NEAL REALLY SUCKED, and everyone else, sucked.

Do you notice the teams with good D's have played together for more than 3 months.  UGH

I don't want to see another year (5 is enough) of a sucky D.  If they don't do something this year it will be more of the same.  Window's are closing and the clock is ticking.

Time to stop screwing around and put some meat on the plate.  I'm tired of lemonade, even if it is from freshly squeezed lemons.

You support Mt Hurl and RKarp here, while mocking BB, so that means you must have liked the Jets spending millions on Cromartie and Revis, etc, with no return at  all on it.

In fact, they've wasted more money and picks on those spots than us, the difference was BB hasn't had a top 15 pick (other than Mayo) in the draft to address the CB spot.  That's the only difference and the fact Leigh Bodden had a career ending back injury that couldn't have been foreseen. 

Again, he can't win with you. You come off like a scorned biyatch tied to Brady's side when it comes to analyzing BB's personnel management.

Everyone sees it with you. lol

Again, show me where I said the Jets approach was good.

It's funny you are ALWAYS guilty of what you accuse others of doing.  It's called transference.  Psych 101.

If BB is buying the groceries (which we all know he is), who else is responsible for the defensive debacle?    Tom Brady?  Me?  The man on the moon?

Stop being a BBBW.   That stuff will make you blind.

The secondary has needed help  for years.  They haven't had someone to rush the passer for years.  They haven't had a #1 receiver for years. 

Oh, but they do have cap space!!!!!  Yippee!

Admitting that is step 1.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Well

Kraft continues to show why he is the  number one sports owner                                          Why BB is BB                                                                                                                          and TFB keeps being the great, great player in all ways and the contract was great for him and even better for us

With out great cap space and the lack of $ that will be offerered to FA we are in great positon

cb - we have been unlucky at cb / Bodden, McCorty going backwards but i am happy with Talib

wr w/ speed and ability to get open- we need more speed to take pressure off our TE's,rb's  and slot

pass rusher - depends on how our Jones develops -

I am glad SF and Seatle are in the other conference - the AFC is still there for the taking