Absolutely Priceless

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Absolutely Priceless

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

LOL.  List does not include wasted draft picks with 3 year contracts, All replaced with more of the same.  

And what was our combined record since 2008..?

Exactly, case closed...

I don't like to deal in absolutes but if you don't like it go be a Bengal's fan and tell me how that works out for you, they sign big name players to huge contracts on the regular. 

All those players above don't add up to Asante Samuel's inflated contract and how many rings did the Eagles win with his addition or Nnamdi Asomugha for that matter?

Well, the problem is, the team needs talent to get over that hump.  Do you see talent there?  I'm not going to do the reserch but I'd be willing to bet that over 20 FA's and failed  cornerback draft picks with 3 year contracts, (restricting the team from getting talent) do not = A$$ante's bloated contract.  Not even close.  And that's just replacing one player of many.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Good article, between Belichick and Kraft the Patriots have the best people running the organization. Look how much teams like Buffalo spent last year and what it got them. Belichick always keeps the big picture in focus. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

BB is the best, period, end of story...the combination of BB as GM, a sharp, smart man with a degree in economics and Kraft, a supremely talented businessman and leader is just so tough to beat, and places the Pats at the head of the game....What I find amazing is how many other owners failed to heed what Kraft said two years ago about flat revenues available for the CAP! Kraft negotiated the union agreement for the owners, ended the strike, and both he, representing the NFL, and the Players Association, knew the business numbers and knew what was ahead...or they should have known! A combination of hubris and stupidity...just proves you don't have to be brilliant to amass lots of capital and own a professional sports franchise.

Hmmm.  Where have I heard this exact verbiage and points made before?

Sounds so familiar,  just can't place it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The reson why we win according to Rusty     SALARY CAP MANAGEMENT

The reson why we can't win anything substantial according to Rusty   TOM BRADY AND BELICKICK'S COACING

Can't make this stuff up!

Number of debates won by rusty 0.....Number of salary cap articles googled 10000000000000   

49ers $3,638,717 Bears $4,201,205 Bengals $45,273,805 Bills $19,927,814 Broncos $9,175,605 Browns $46,622,155 Buccaneers $32,872,205 Cardinals $8,792,669 Chargers $11,716,511 Chiefs $16,859,196 Colts $43,544,252 Cowboys ($5,656,268) Dolphins $36,578,906 Eagles $32,440,721 Falcons $21,294,151 Giants $10,332,113 Jaguars $32,037,364 Jets $8,186,238 Lions $8,566,876 Packers $20,640,927 Panthers $7,100,452 Patriots $25,369,201 Raiders $8,767,622 Rams $11,979,489 Ravens $12,664,866 Redskins ($3,392,362) Saints ($1,097,680) Seahawks $17,072,219 Steelers $1,781,279 Texans $7,842,693 Titans $18,596,942 Vikings

$18,031,304

Off this list three teams appear to be in "salary cap hell"...of course that will change by Monday.

And there are 6 teams with more cap room than us. Does that mean they are smarter?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Some "fans" here think we should sign All Pro players at every position regardless of cost, they don't factor in cost, availability and the overall big picture.  Also many cherry pick players and say "so and so" wasn't a good signing, but then don't offer an alternative in the same price range simply because that player didn't exist... in short, we should have signed someone else even though there was nobody available at that price.

If we were 3-13 or 5-11 over the past "rebuilding" years than I could empathize but from where I'm standing you guys sound like entitled fans, this is football, some players don't work out because their knees were shot or they took too many blows to the skull, not because they weren't good players or a good signing at the time.  

And I've seen it here too often where fans will praise BB for signing value players like Fanene when he got signed and two years later they're saying I told you so... much like the draft, many fans here are experts 2-3 years in hindsight.  

"Value" players like Joe Andruzzi, Roman Phifer, Rodney Harrison and Mike Vrabel were the backbone of championship teams, try not to have such a double standard for the ones that don't work out, just do what the Patriots do and move forward.

I can't tell you how sick and tired I've become of hearing people say you can't sign pro bowlers all over the roster - no one is asking for that. No one. All I'm saying is if you go into free agency, instead of signing the third level guy at every position, try signing the top level guy at ONE position and then go the cheaper route on the others...that expensive guy will not only be a better player, but also make all the others better.

I seriously almost crapped my pants when we signed Fenene last year and to make matters worse we found out that he was our top free agent target after we offered too little to draw Red Bryant away from Seattle. So after a season in which we desperately needed defensive line help we ended up with Jonathan Fenene. That's not going for it...that sure is managing your cap, but it's not about winning...it's not.  When you end up with Steven Gregory, instead of Dashon Goldson...it's not about winning...it's about money. Now if you had signed Red Bryant, go ahead and save money on Gregory, but don't do both, because you're going to end up seeing what Gregory is....a guy that is physically out matched on the football field.

And something else...we haven't even spent to the cap over the last two years. You telling me that helped against the Giants when they were physically beating us along the lines of scrimmage? I'd take that seven million we saved and spent it on a defensive lineman that could of done something, before I set my cap up for better positioning 3 years down the road. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

42/46:

Your backpedal and lack of a counter, proves I win.   You just got exposed to the bejesus.   BEST GM OF ALL TIME. PERIOD.

BRADY plays better in SB 46 and you don't exist here.

My god are people stupid unware of how brilliant BB is.

uh huh...and tom brady and the afc easy sure make it easier to be the "greatest" gm of all time

besides since he learned from parcells and young any compliment u throw bellichick is just a compliment to the Master so why should i mind that?

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Well, the problem is, the team needs talent to get over that hump.  Do you see talent there?

The Patriots are, year in year out, one of the most talent laden teams in the NFL, that's how they win the AFC East every year and contend for a Super Bowl.  You can choose to disagree but you'd be wrong, according to not only myself but about 99% of the NFL and media at large.

Again, how did Philadelphia and their "dream team" of super soldiers do last year, how has Dan Snyder's team building strategy in Washington of buying every high priced "talent" in the league translated into wins?  Did they do better than the talentless Pats?

crickets

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Every sports writer in the national media is wrong. 25 milly in cap room going into the strongest FA class in years is not a good position to be in. Pezz and Hurtl are right. BB is a bad GM. Look at that list of players that every team has. Tiquan Underwood killed us with his cap hit. It's the practice squad guys that keep us from getting over the hump. Great points of view on this forum. BB sux.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Every sports writer in the national media is wrong. 25 milly in cap room going into the strongest FA class in years is not a good position to be in. Pezz and Hurtl are right. BB is a bad GM. Look at that list of players that every team has. Tiquan Underwood killed us with his cap hit. It's the practice squad guys that keep us from getting over the hump. Great points of view on this forum. BB sux.

You do realize that the 18m they had in cap money was a result of 18 FA's coming off the books, Right?  The other was a result of TB extending, right?

That's 18M to sign or replace 18 FA's with 3 of those being in the 4-6M each, range.

You do realize that there is a very good chance that one or all of those high dollar FA's won't be re-signed because they STILL don't have the money to sign all of them AND 15 other FA's that need to either be resigned or replaced.  Right?

Now if they could get that 20+ million in dead money back that was wasted on cut, worthless players, in the past 2 years,........  now that would be something!

Glad you all loved T. Underwood.  I'm sure Tampa Bay does too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Part of the cap space is also carried over from last years unused $$$$

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

I am not sure we are even giving the Pats enough credit here.

The Pats are in contention every year.

Do you know how many teams sell out completely to contracts that essentially put them in 'now or never' type mode? Just so they are in contention one or two years? Look at the Jets...they were what ..sort of in contention for 2 years!

Secondly...do you think the 49rs are strategic? Do you know how many years they had to s*ck to get where they are?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Well, the problem is, the team needs talent to get over that hump.  Do you see talent there?

The Patriots are, year in year out, one of the most talent laden teams in the NFL, that's how they win the AFC East every year and contend for a Super Bowl.  You can choose to disagree but you'd be wrong, according to not only myself but about 99% of the NFL and media at large.

Again, how did Philadelphia and their "dream team" of super soldiers do last year, how has Dan Snyder's team building strategy in Washington of buying every high priced "talent" in the league translated into wins?  Did they do better than the talentless Pats?

crickets

You got crickets?  May I suggest Truly Nolan, for pest control.

The problem with your question is that none of those other teams have Tom F. Brady.

How do you think TB would have done with the iggles or even better, Vick with this current Pats team.  Would any QB do as well with all the immense, desirable talent they recently possessed.  Is any one building their secondary with such stallworths as Chung or any of the other wasted high round picks?

Do you know another QB capable of bringing a 31st ranked D to the SB?  Rogers?  Brees?  Flacco?  Manning?

Sorry, but the team needs talent.   TB needs a little help.  Nothing wrong with trading a little cap space for that.  Brady did!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You do realize that the 18m they had in cap money was a result of 18 FA's coming off the books, Right?  The other was a result of TB extending, right?

That's 18M to sign or replace 18 FA's with 3 of those being in the 4-6M each, range.

You do realize that there is a very good chance that one or all of those high dollar FA's won't be re-signed because they STILL don't have the money to sign all of them AND 15 other FA's that need to either be resigned or replaced.  Right?

So let me get this right, we have no talent but you're concerned about the free agents we might lose this year?  This gets better by the second...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

First, copying and pasting articles in their entirety is a classless move. You should post excerpts and links unless you want an economy where writers like the ones you copied and pasted no longer exist. Without page views on their pieces these guys don't make even a modest living. 

Second, cherry picking articles that support your point of view does not result in a devastating victory for your agenda. 

The fact is you have chosen a not-viable argument, now you hunt in search of supporting evidence and ignore what doesn't jive. 

The position that "Belichick can do no wrong" and "Brady has become a liability in big games and that's why we don't have more rings" is simply not a viable position. It's an extreme position that can only be supported by name calling and berating others until they are too discouraged to post here. 

The reality is far more nuanced and blame lies on all sides. It's uncomfortable and complex but true. 

Anyone who watches these big games can see how the Pats have been dominated by superior defensive units - the kind we used to have. 

Anyone can see we have become the Indianapolis Colts - a fantastic regular season team (that by the way benefits greatly from a weak division) - whose high powered offense gets exposed in the postseason, and whose postseason success depends on an opportunistic defense getting hot and forcing turnovers. When the turnovers aren't there, we tend to lose. 

This is obvious to most Pats fans because we used to beat the Colts in the postseason by turning this particular table back on them. Now that it's being turned on us most of us have the good sense to recognize: when you lose, all are accountable. 

Outside the "selective fact bubble" you live in, the outside world sees this pretty clearly, and both Belichick and Brady's legacies have taken a hit - or perhaps not become everything they could have been - because of it. The one area we do agree in terms of outside perception is that Spygate is held against this team's early championships far more than is fair or valid. 

If Belichick ever wins a ring without Brady (highly unlikely) I am open to revising my position somewhat. But it doesn't take a genius to see Bill has struggled to reload the defense to what it once was. Doesn't let the offense off the hook or diminish some of the improvements defensively that have been made..

The good news is there's a couple years left to tack on another ring.  Now we watch the offseason moves with a higher level of urgency...

It's not too hard to accept this unless you have a ridiculous axe to grind.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

So let me get this right, we have no talent but you're concerned about the free agents we might lose this year?  This gets better by the second...

I'm concerned that 3 of them would take most of the available cap to sign or replace (with = or better talent) and that 15 others also need to be signed or replaced, yes.

That cap space is not free money to do with what ever they want.  It has to replace or re-sign 1/3rd of the team for criss sakes. ( not to mention, hopefully IMPROVE it)

Do you not understand that?

Do you not understand that teams with less cap don't have to replace 1/3rd of their team?

That's huge!!!!!

When you finally grasp that, get back to me.  K?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

they dont realize that every post they are proving themselves wrong

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

they dont realize that every post they are proving themselves wrong

hey russ

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm concerned that 3 of them would take most of the available cap to sign or replace (with = or better talent) and that 15 others also need to be signed or replaced, yes.

That cap space is not free money to do with what ever they want.  It has to replace or re-sign 1/3rd of the team for criss sakes. ( not to mention, hopefully IMPROVE it)

Do you not understand that teams with less cap don't have to replace 1/3rd of their team?

That's huge!!!!!

Where in the rule book does it state that the Pats can't cut players and free up more space?  

You do realize that these cap numbers are fluid and that having room to maneuver is really the ideal situation?  

So how does being one game from the Super Bowl and having some of the best cap flexibility in the NFL = bad?

When you finally grasp that... oh, never mind.  

I guess it's right up there with the offense not scoring being the defense's fault, PER being more important than actually scoring, up being down, left being right and other Orwellian nonsense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Wozzy, I think you'd have to be crazy not to recognize that Belichick has done an extraordinary job keeping the team competitive from year to year and that a large part of that success has to do with careful cap management.  At the same time, I think that a lot of the team's success every year comes from excellent coaching, a great QB, and schemes that allow even average talent to flourish (BB is absolutely brilliant at assembling a group of guys who complement each other and then modifying his schemes to get the most out of them).

Still, the failures in the playoffs (and they've been significant failures--blown out by the Ravens in 2009, bad against the Jets in 2010, a disappointing Super Bowl loss against a vulnerable Giants team in 2011, and a pathetic performance against the Ravens in the AFC Championship this past year), all have pointed to weaknesses in talent and/or lack of depth.  We don't have a lot of true impact players and when one gets hurt (Moss, Welker, Gronk, Mankins, etc.) we often can't recover.  The defense, as well, has just not been great, so we're stuck winning with offense. These aren't coaching problems. They are, in part, execution problems.  But mostly they are talent problems.  Belichick's approach has kept the team highly competitive, but it maybe has not given them quite enough guns to get over the top against good teams in big games. Signing one or two more top FAs and not trading down all the time to pick JAGs may help. It's quite possible that flirting a little closer with salary cap hell could pay off once in a while.  Rusty keeps telling us that Pittsburgh is headed down because of salary cap issues.  Maybe.  But they've also won two championships while the Pats have been managing cap. There's a legitimate debate, here, about which approach is really better. Maybe a little salary cap hell once in a while pays off? Maybe picking Clay Matthews rather than Butler and Tate helps too?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

That's huge!!!!!

Where in the rule book does it state that the Pats can't cut players and free up more space?  

You do realize that these cap numbers are fluid and that having room to maneuver is really the ideal situation?  

So how does being one game from the Super Bowl and having some of the best cap flexibility in the NFL = bad?

When you finally grasp that... oh, never mind.  

I guess it's right up there with the offense not scoring being the defense's fault, PER being more important than actually scoring, up being down, left being right and other Orwellian nonsense.

Never said there cap management approach was bad, just that they need to do a little better buying groceries with all that $$$$.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the constant flux of the same type of player given contracts, only to be replaced year after year is hurting the space and in turn, the team.

All these misfires that are a result of replacing the same player over and over, cost money.

That's money that could be used to get a better quality player.  Rather than replacing the same guy (or handful of guys) repeatedly, why not get someone that can contribute for 3-4 yrs.  Not only is it causing a dept problem, it causing a starter problem.

I know the Pats don't over pay, mostly, but the carasal of DB's, resulting in the 31st ranked D is a problem and has been since at least 2008.

Also my point about their available cap is valid.  They cannot resign their legit starters.  Replacing them on the cheap is not likely going to provide optimum results, as we've already witnessed for the past 5 years with the revolving door of safeties and CB's to replace two legit starters.  We are still waiting for some sense of stability back there.

We are still waiting for someone to rush the passer and haven't had a true #1 receiver since Moss.. ..  Sometimes you gotta spend a little money.  Basically, you get what you pay for.  You can't keep putting Delta O"Neils or Wheatlies in the back field and expect different results.

Yes, the team has remained competitive but I can tell you without reservation, that it's not because of that 31st ranked D.  Like I said, which NFL QB has brought a 31st ranked D to the SB before?   There's those darn crickets again.

18M to replace 1/3rd your team is not a lot of money.  Yes I know it's fluid..Thanks TB.

Miami has 45M to replace 12 FA's.  That leaves a whole lot more money to improve their team.  That's 20M MORE to replace or resign 6 LESS players.  That's being in great shape and if used correctly, they should improve.  NOTE: used correctly!

Their problem is not cap hel1, but QB hel1 and even that may improve with a little time.

My point is that without last years DEAD MONEY, that figure would have been 40M for the Pats to spend or at the very least, if spent last year to improve the team instead of hurting it, possibly could have resulted in better players (that also don't have to be replaced AGAIN this year) and better results.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

crickets

You got crickets?  May I suggest Truly Nolan, for pest control.

The problem with your question is that none of those other teams have Tom F. Brady.

How do you think TB would have done with the iggles or even better, Vick with this current Pats team.  Would any QB do as well with all the immense, desirable talent they recently possessed.  Is any one building their secondary with such stallworths as Chung or any of the other wasted high round picks?

Do you know another QB capable of bringing a 31st ranked D to the SB?  Rogers?  Brees?  Flacco?  Manning?

Sorry, but the team needs talent.   TB needs a little help.  Nothing wrong with trading a little cap space for that.  Brady did!

Thank you, spot on. And the truth is, I and no one is saying that Belichick is a bad GM...it's just that I think mistakes were made over the last half of a century that really cost this team. I think if Brady was NOT in the equation it would of been pretty bad around here - that guy has had to carry a team that was severly lacking in defensive talent for four years now.

I highly doubt Belichick and Ernie Adams are running around the office high fiving themselves right now for the masterful job they did bringing in free agents over the last four years and managing the cap. For god's sake, if it weren't for Brady's restructuring there would be 15 teams with MORE cap room than us. The funniest part about all this salary cap hell stuff is that there are only three teams actually in it (and two of them are known for year after year of lavish spending). 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

First, copying and pasting articles in their entirety is a classless move. You should post excerpts and links unless you want an economy where writers like the ones you copied and pasted no longer exist. Without page views on their pieces these guys don't make even a modest living. 

Second, cherry picking articles that support your point of view does not result in a devastating victory for your agenda. 

The fact is you have chosen a not-viable argument, now you hunt in search of supporting evidence and ignore what doesn't jive. 

The position that "Belichick can do no wrong" and "Brady has become a liability in big games and that's why we don't have more rings" is simply not a viable position. It's an extreme position that can only be supported by name calling and berating others until they are too discouraged to post here. 

The reality is far more nuanced and blame lies on all sides. It's uncomfortable and complex but true. 

Anyone who watches these big games can see how the Pats have been dominated by superior defensive units - the kind we used to have. 

Anyone can see we have become the Indianapolis Colts - a fantastic regular season team (that by the way benefits greatly from a weak division) - whose high powered offense gets exposed in the postseason, and whose postseason success depends on an opportunistic defense getting hot and forcing turnovers. When the turnovers aren't there, we tend to lose. 

This is obvious to most Pats fans because we used to beat the Colts in the postseason by turning this particular table back on them. Now that it's being turned on us most of us have the good sense to recognize: when you lose, all are accountable. 

Outside the "selective fact bubble" you live in, the outside world sees this pretty clearly, and both Belichick and Brady's legacies have taken a hit - or perhaps not become everything they could have been - because of it. The one area we do agree in terms of outside perception is that Spygate is held against this team's early championships far more than is fair or valid. 

If Belichick ever wins a ring without Brady (highly unlikely) I am open to revising my position somewhat. But it doesn't take a genius to see Bill has struggled to reload the defense to what it once was. Doesn't let the offense off the hook or diminish some of the improvements defensively that have been made..

The good news is there's a couple years left to tack on another ring.  Now we watch the offseason moves with a higher level of urgency...

It's not too hard to accept this unless you have a ridiculous axe to grind.

Absolutely and really outside of a few that live in this bubble on boston.com, most feel this way.