according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald Gaffney is still hopeful that the Patriots will bring him back,

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald Gaffney is still hopeful that the Patriots will bring him back,

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2012/09/04/gaffney-visits-miami-but-hed-like-to-return-to-patriots/

g
    affney, branch, neither or both?
    what do you want to see?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald Gaffney is still hopeful that the Patriots will bring him back,

I would like to see one or the other or both!  Do not like the current WR depth. Edelman and Slater, not happy about that!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald Gaffney is still hopeful that the Patriots will bring him back,

I still like the idea of having Gaffney on this team because of the slightly different skill set he brings to the receiving corp.  Putting him and Lloyd on the field together would allow you to stretch things vertically and force more DBs back.  Maybe Slater can do the same, but he hasn't shown much as a receiver through his career.  

Branch is more a depth player at this point in his career.  He's not a big threat anymore, but he still has that great chemistry with Brady.  I see him as a guy who comes back if Salas doesn't pan out or if someone gets injured.  

Personally, I wouldn't mind having both Gaffney and Branch on the team, but the two of them probably take up too many roster slots.  Having one back is probably more reasonable, though at this point, I'm not sure BB wants to give up even one roster slot to another receiver. Still, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Gaffney back once his injury clears up.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Gaffney is a couple of weeks away from being healed.  Branch has lost a step.  The first two games will be a chance to determine how the roster is working.  It will give the offense and defense a chance to see what they have and need.  Neither game should be a true test of this team.  If the wideout situation is not settled, than I can see either of these players coming back. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm willing to give Salas a chance but I would like to see either Gaffney or Branch back, but not both. I think they do need a vet backup that has chemistry with Brady. Lloyd, Welker, and Hern will be your main 1-3 receivers (not including Gronk of course) and normally I don't think you should play just in case games but that's a very thin receiving core, even adding Gronk. Considering we have no clue what Salas can do and we know Edelman is a hit or miss from game to game.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

I am for whatever means we'll use more tradtional base sets with a Fulback and more running.  More running, less passing please.

I expect this to happen because of McDaniels alone. He takes more after Weis then O'Brien was, so expect slightly more running but more importantly much more screens. Screens are just an extension to the running game anyways and we have a couple of good RB's when they get into the open field. I expect to see a lot more screens early and often which is just as good as a running game.

BTW O'Brien's first game he had Penn toss the ball 48 times. A college team not on an island throwing the ball 48 times and barely running the ball? Yikes

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

neither. Time to turn the page.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is the beauty of what BB is doing. In a way, if they don't sign elsewhere we do still have them on the team. BB, the genius he is has extended the roster. He knows it will be difficult for both of those guys to find other teams. At least with a guaranteed contract. So he can keep them on speed dial when/if needed. Same thing with Warren G, and possibly Brian Waters.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

another Gaffney thread ?

when I think of Gaffney I remember the great catch to beat the ravens after the rex Ryan time out gaffe  on 4th down then the penalty on another 4th down ...

That was 2007 guys.  Hard to believe that was 5 seasons ago....

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is the beauty of what BB is doing. In a way, if they don't sign elsewhere we do still have them on the team. BB, the genius he is has extended the roster. He knows it will be difficult for both of those guys to find other teams. At least with a guaranteed contract. So he can keep them on speed dial when/if needed. Same thing with Warren G, and possibly Brian Waters.

It's a gamble either way. They could sign with another team (ie Gaffney visiting Dolphins) or if no team wants to sign them than what does that say about them? Essentially they could provide something but is it really anything more then what the 53rd man can provide? It's true they have more value to the Pats then any other team (mainly because of the QB) but again if they were anything more then a couple of plays a game type of players wouldn't they'd already be on the team or another team?

It's always nice to have the option but lets not pretend BB is brilliant for these types of moves. Simply put there's a reason these guys don't find other teams after being cut, what BB should get credit for is finding players that fit his system more then anyone elses, who can provide something more then JAGs, and are willing to wait by the phone for him to call. But, in reality any team can and does do this with players who fit their system when available. Of course it doesn't hurt that players like being here and they get a chance to join a contending team halfway through the season. It's just viewed as such low impact moves it's never really reported outside of the teams respective locations. I mean honestly do you think people from SD are scared about G Warren being that one piece waiting for the phone call? or that they even noticed he was cut in the first place?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    interesting  concept ... Risky perhaps , but as of now those players have not moved to other teams...

Regarding the O'Brien  comments , the guy seemed to have no clue how to use a running game ( even when it was working ...).  McDaniel  should be a huge improvement .  Thought he was clueless in '06, i must admit .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw that.  O'Brien is a psychopath.  His ego is apparently out of control. I liked it when he stood up to Moss in 2010, but sometnhing happened with he and Brady's relationship last year.

He probably thinks he was the chosen one to fix PSU's dismantled program. lol

I would not be shocked to see McDaniels use a lot of TE movement as a way to disguise, and yes, run more.

Should be interesting to see if BB holds onto Shiancoe or brings back Gaffney or Branch instead.

[/QUOTE
    O'Brien is a psychopath ... nice... 

He could be perfect for "happy valley " ... Yikes indeed...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to PatsEng comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp comment:

[QUOTE]

It's a gamble either way. They could sign with another team (ie Gaffney visiting Dolphins) or if no team wants to sign them than what does that say about them? Essentially they could provide something but is it really anything more then what the 53rd man can provide? It's true they have more value to the Pats then any other team (mainly because of the QB) but again if they were anything more then a couple of plays a game type of players wouldn't they'd already be on the team or another team?

It's always nice to have the option but lets not pretend BB is brilliant for these types of moves. Simply put there's a reason these guys don't find other teams after being cut, what BB should get credit for is finding players that fit his system more then anyone elses, who can provide something more then JAGs, and are willing to wait by the phone for him to call. But, in reality any team can and does do this with players who fit their system when available. Of course it doesn't hurt that players like being here and they get a chance to join a contending team halfway through the season. It's just viewed as such low impact moves it's never really reported outside of the teams respective locations. I mean honestly do you think people from SD are scared about G Warren being that one piece waiting for the phone call? or that they even noticed he was cut in the first place?

Disagree. I think BB brought in 7 wr's for a reason. He never wants to see 2009 happen again, and by keeping Gaff,Branch and even STalworth to the end of camp and preseason, he made it very difficult for them to sign a guaranteed 1 year deal with another team. Without seeing any of these guys in camp or games coaches and GM's will not want to make that kind of commitment. Also I do agree a guy like Branch would have more value to us then another team, as he has the all important "chemistry" with Tommy. Gaff is the same deal due to his injury.

Plus, this isn't really as much of a risk. These guys barring injury to WW or Lloyd were not going to see a ton of snaps. I think it is clear that when we take a WW/Lloyd or Hern off the field, we will be replacing them with Shank,Fells,A FB or 2 RBs quite often. Depth is important but if other teams do sign Branch and Gaff. It wouldn't be much of a blow to our team. And honestly by trading for Salas, we might not even have a need for these guys at all.

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

He's very good at this Champ.  He gets these guys into camp, lets them learn the system, then has them ready if he needs them.  I don't think I've ever seen a coach/GM better prepared to fill open roster slots during the season with guys who can step right in and contribute.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp comment:

[QUOTE]

Disagree. I think BB brought in 7 wr's for a reason. He never wants to see 2009 happen again, and by keeping Gaff,Branch and even STalworth to the end of camp and preseason, he made it very difficult for them to sign a guaranteed 1 year deal with another team. Without seeing any of these guys in camp or games coaches and GM's will not want to make that kind of commitment. Also I do agree a guy like Branch would have more value to us then another team, as he has the all important "chemistry" with Tommy. Gaff is the same deal due to his injury.

Plus, this isn't really as much of a risk. These guys barring injury to WW or Lloyd were not going to see a ton of snaps. I think it is clear that when we take a WW/Lloyd or Hern off the field, we will be replacing them with Shank,Fells,A FB or 2 RBs quite often. Depth is important but if other teams do sign Branch and Gaff. It wouldn't be much of a blow to our team. And honestly by trading for Salas, we might not even have a need for these guys at all.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True, you started off saying you disagree but by the end basically said what I was saying. That they have more value to this team then others, but would still only play minor roles hence why they aren't on the team right now. This happens with every team we just don't hear about it because they are minor moves unless you follow the team. All I'm saying is that this happens all the time to every team so as much as I love BB this isn't a brilliant move that BB thought up. This happens everywhere and any coach/GM worth his paycheck should do this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

An injured Gaffney is one more player that BB has snuck by the 53 man limit.  Gaffney knows Brady's play and will fit in here in a pinch (in 2 to 4 weeks when someone or other gets injured).  He's a marginal player at this stage and won't really help any other team.  Nor does he want to play anywhere else.  He's one more Junior Seau in BB's back pocket.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

An injured Gaffney is one more player that BB has snuck by the 53 man limit.  Gaffney knows Brady's play and will fit in here in a pinch (in 2 to 4 weeks when someone or other gets injured).  He's a marginal player at this stage and won't really help any other team.  Nor does he want to play anywhere else.  He's one more Junior Seau in BB's back pocket.

ill go with that +1

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Gaffney - brings something different than Branch and if healed up in a couple weeks could be a good pickup for us.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Gaffney - brings something different than Branch and if healed up in a couple weeks could be a good pickup for us.

i agree with you. so far..looks like bb is more sure about bringing back branch

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I think that the fifth WR is not something to worry about. I still want to see Lloyd in regular season action.  I was unimpressed in the preseason after all the hype.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

he was 53yds short of a 1,000yds last year. I wouldn't call him a marginal player but I think that combination of the injury, so close to the season start, and the thought that Gaffney might be waiting for BB to call is scaring off more teams then not. Since most teams rosters are set why take on a WR with a thigh injury where you might have to give him more then min salary right now? They could sign him after week one when his contract isn't guareentied. I'd be shocked if Gaffney isn't on a team by the end of the season and it wouldn't shock me if it wasn't the Pats

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Branch is done. He looked gassed at seasons end last year. I think gaffney is more hurt then their letting on too. I don't know how much I'm taking to heart from some Miami reporter.

Sections
Shortcuts