according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald Gaffney is still hopeful that the Patriots will bring him back,

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald Gaffney is still hopeful that the Patriots will bring him back,

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to PatsEng comment:

In response to TrueChamp comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid comment:

This is the beauty of what BB is doing. In a way, if they don't sign elsewhere we do still have them on the team. BB, the genius he is has extended the roster. He knows it will be difficult for both of those guys to find other teams. At least with a guaranteed contract. So he can keep them on speed dial when/if needed. Same thing with Warren G, and possibly Brian Waters.

It's a gamble either way. They could sign with another team (ie Gaffney visiting Dolphins) or if no team wants to sign them than what does that say about them? Essentially they could provide something but is it really anything more then what the 53rd man can provide? It's true they have more value to the Pats then any other team (mainly because of the QB) but again if they were anything more then a couple of plays a game type of players wouldn't they'd already be on the team or another team?

It's always nice to have the option but lets not pretend BB is brilliant for these types of moves. Simply put there's a reason these guys don't find other teams after being cut, what BB should get credit for is finding players that fit his system more then anyone elses, who can provide something more then JAGs, and are willing to wait by the phone for him to call. But, in reality any team can and does do this with players who fit their system when available. Of course it doesn't hurt that players like being here and they get a chance to join a contending team halfway through the season. It's just viewed as such low impact moves it's never really reported outside of the teams respective locations. I mean honestly do you think people from SD are scared about G Warren being that one piece waiting for the phone call? or that they even noticed he was cut in the first place?

Disagree. I think BB brought in 7 wr's for a reason. He never wants to see 2009 happen again, and by keeping Gaff,Branch and even STalworth to the end of camp and preseason, he made it very difficult for them to sign a guaranteed 1 year deal with another team. Without seeing any of these guys in camp or games coaches and GM's will not want to make that kind of commitment. Also I do agree a guy like Branch would have more value to us then another team, as he has the all important "chemistry" with Tommy. Gaff is the same deal due to his injury.

Plus, this isn't really as much of a risk. These guys barring injury to WW or Lloyd were not going to see a ton of snaps. I think it is clear that when we take a WW/Lloyd or Hern off the field, we will be replacing them with Shank,Fells,A FB or 2 RBs quite often. Depth is important but if other teams do sign Branch and Gaff. It wouldn't be much of a blow to our team. And honestly by trading for Salas, we might not even have a need for these guys at all.

True, you started off saying you disagree but by the end basically said what I was saying. That they have more value to this team then others, but would still only play minor roles hence why they aren't on the team right now. This happens with every team we just don't hear about it because they are minor moves unless you follow the team. All I'm saying is that this happens all the time to every team so as much as I love BB this isn't a brilliant move that BB thought up. This happens everywhere and any coach/GM worth his paycheck should do this.

Lol, I think the part I was disagreeing with is saying every GM and coach in the league does this. Not near the level that BB does it imo. You don't see other teams cutting half of their wr roster at the end of camp, when these guys would be 2nd, 3rd, and 4rth options for half of the teams in the league. Honestly if the Dolphins had signed Branch, Gaffney and Stalworth in the off season they would probably be 3 of the 4 starters with Devon Bess in the mix.

I also think because 1 or 2 of these guys want to be in BB's system we have an advantage over other teams trying to pull the same move. They might be willing to be cut and re-signed in order to play for us. Sacrifice to be part of the best team in football for the past 12 years....Nobody else can say that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

Re: according to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald Gaffney is still hopeful that the Patriots will bring him back,

Branch.  The guy had a great season last year, seemed like the hardest worker and most dependable of training camp.  I'm not certain that Lloyd is going to be the game changer we're counting on, and Slater hasn't shown himself to be a steady reciever. 

In response to bredbru's comment:

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

Agreed about Lloyd.  Don't think he'll be another Chad, but haven't seen anything close to Randy Moss ability to stretch the field or make great catches. 

I'd prefer Branch over Gaffney.  Deion was dependable last season, knows the playbook, seemed to be the hardest worker in training camp as well.

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

I think that the fifth WR is not something to worry about. I still want to see Lloyd in regular season action.  I was unimpressed in the preseason after all the hype.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I hope they bring Gaffney back when/if the Hammie heals. I think Branch is done and Gaffney offers more upside---have always been a big Branch fan and will remember our SB win with him but he's not even close to the same player he was.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I can't say I'd blame Gaffney, the Patriots are the class of the NFL and have a very good chance to win the Super Bowl. Gaffney works very well with Brady..  What a difference it must be in so many ways,,, playing for the Patriots or the Dolphins..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I'm willing to give Salas a chance but I would like to see either Gaffney or Branch back, but not both. I think they do need a vet backup that has chemistry with Brady. Lloyd, Welker, and Hern will be your main 1-3 receivers (not including Gronk of course) and normally I don't think you should play just in case games but that's a very thin receiving core, even adding Gronk. Considering we have no clue what Salas can do and we know Edelman is a hit or miss from game to game.

In this league you MUST play just in case games. BB has had a grat record in NE in part because he always tries to have a meaningful 53 man roster where everyone contributes. And if you look at the number of injuries that teams get nowadays you realize that every year your depth will make a difference. There are a lot of examples. Bottom line: every position and every role must have depth.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I'm willing to give Salas a chance but I would like to see either Gaffney or Branch back, but not both. I think they do need a vet backup that has chemistry with Brady. Lloyd, Welker, and Hern will be your main 1-3 receivers (not including Gronk of course) and normally I don't think you should play just in case games but that's a very thin receiving core, even adding Gronk. Considering we have no clue what Salas can do and we know Edelman is a hit or miss from game to game.

I will add, though we are talking here about roster spots, BB always plays what of games in preping his units for situational issues and special plays. And he has often made a coaching difference in doing so.

Sections
Shortcuts