According to Rob Parker ESPN, Pats overrated for SB.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caliberink. Show Caliberink's posts

According to Rob Parker ESPN, Pats overrated for SB.

Figured I'd post this since no one has posted it yet.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/25964/are-the-patriots-an-overrated-2011-team

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: According to Rob Parker ESPN, Pats overrated for SB.

I love how Underpants says the Boston media brings up Spygate. Laughable and flat out factually incorrect.

Here is another example of ESPN attempting to cause a stir.   Talk about "rpoof" for Underpanties.

How on earth is NE living in the past when they have 6 draft picks in the 2011 draft, in the top 100?

Who has this?   Who sheds aging players with such ease as well as NE does and who wins divisions while rebuilding?

The last Colts title was 4 years ago. Does this mean they are overrated in

At least NE was in the SB in 2007. 

The biggest misconception continues to be people who simply do not get the NFL, the salary cap, player development and how Belichick is a master at keeping an eb and flow over the roster in order to keep a stability.

NE will win 10+ games again, go something like 13-3 and be in the playoffs. And they'll have experienced, younger players. How many 2nd or 3rd year players even have playoff experience?

They have unloaded 5 Pro Bowl defenders who either retired, took better deals elsewhere or are on their way out.

53-16 since 2007, 35-13 since 2008. Yes, NE is living in the past.

There really is no point in listening to people who feature such low IQs that it makes me uncomfortable to see them employed.

This guy should be working at a cafeteria somewhere at a local high school.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

All I needed to read was the spygate reference.  What cr*p.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Or..

"While smoking weed, I actually focus on very interesting things and learn."

I admit I read it to see how pathetically inaccurate the analysis would be. It's almost like stopping to watch a few minutes of Springer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I am sorry rusty, did your local boston media NOT ask Cowher or Vermeil to comment on Spygate?  Is that NOT bringing up spygate?  Surely, these former coaches didn't come to the booth and ask to speak about spygate, did they?

And I think that the individual in question is suggesting that the pats are overrated by being favorites for the SB because of their recent playoff record, not regular season record. 

I recall this board laughing at a colts team who had great regular season records but poor postseason records.  With the pats "1 and done" the last 2 years, doesn't this guy make a valid point?

That said, you guys should really take a chill pill.  Would you rather have vegas odds on your side or a pundit?  I know which I'd pick.  BTW, I believe the colts were preseason favs last year in vegas.  How'd that work out?

Oh and Russ, if you are giving the pats credit for being in the 07 SB, don't you think you should give the colts credit for being in the 10 SB?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Who's Rob Parker?  Isn't he some kind of wine afficiando?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I always thought he was a gameshow host...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: According to Rob Parker ESPN, Pats overrated for SB.:
    [QUOTE]I am sorry rusty, did your local boston media NOT ask Cowher or Vermeil to comment on Spygate?  Is that NOT bringing up spygate?  Surely, these former coaches didn't come to the booth and ask to speak about spygate, did they? And I think that the individual in question is suggesting that the pats are overrated by being favorites for the SB because of their recent playoff record, not regular season record.  I recall this board laughing at a colts team who had great regular season records but poor postseason records.  With the pats "1 and done" the last 2 years, doesn't this guy make a valid point? That said, you guys should really take a chill pill.  Would you rather have vegas odds on your side or a pundit?  I know which I'd pick.  BTW, I believe the colts were preseason favs last year in vegas.  How'd that work out? Oh and Russ, if you are giving the pats credit for being in the 07 SB, don't you think you should give the colts credit for being in the 10 SB?
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Yes. I don't think the Colts are overrated heading into next season. They'll be favorites in that division, because quite frankly, no other team in that division has positoned themselves better.

Houston is apparently still a sieve on D.  Tenn will probably take a step back and Jax will probably be mediocre again.

So, that puts them in a playoff spot and a possible playoff run.

You seem to have a tough time understanding the difference between some dope inferring Spygate had something to do with what NE built, helping to win 3 SBs or go to 4 SBs for that matter, and when a media head in Boston wants a legit primary source's take on said witch hunt.

One is to discredit, the other is clarifying reality.  Get it, Corky?

In other words, what on earth is someone doing bringing up Spygate and connecting it to no titles?

Weren't we over this in 2007?

Did we not say Tyree's once in a lifetime helmet catch?  Do people not realize how stupid they look leaving out facts and realities from a discussion?

NE is 53-16 since 2007, yet they live in the past because they don't have a ring?

I am starting to think jealous NFL fans and ESPN heads will commit a mass suicide if/when NE wins another SB.

The jealousy is beyond unhealthy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The guys a moron.  The odds are set based on how people bet.  If the bettors think the Pats have the same chance as the packers to win, then they have the same odds.

As far as the "shocking" play off losses - the Jet loss was shocking, but the loss to the Ravens wasn't shocking.  The Pats were beat up pretty badly by the post season.

Spygate, spygate, spygate.  IF it provided an edge it was during the regular season.  The Giants beating them in 07 and the Jets win involved defensive schemes that neither team had implemented.  The Pats were unprepared because they hadn't seen them before.

And not winning the SB since 04?  Let's see, did anything happen after the 04 season that may have impacted the Pats? Could it have been a rule change that changed the way Defensive Holding and Pass interference were defined, effectively changing how the Pats played defense.  i seem to recall that the rule change was put in at the insistance of the Owner of the Colts.

Could the rule change had any impact considering Spygate broke several years after 04?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If I'm not mistaken, the whole spygate issue was put on the front burner by good 'ol Rog Goodell.  Many of the media figures in Boston wondered why he had to take pot shots that coincidentally surface on the eve when BB won coach of the year.  It's like telling your brother you slept with his fiancée on the eve of his wedding day.  Timing issues maybe? And how about get over it since you already set the precedent with a ridiculous fine?    

It's a legit question to ask guys like Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, Herm Edwards, Mike Ditka and other respected coaches about spygate to try and put it in perspective instead of just making blanket statements about spygate being the reason why the Pats have been a pretty good team for a the greater part of a decade. 

That article appeals to the lowest common denominator NFL fan who is upset that their own franchise can't win at anything (Jets, wink, wink).      

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ, I'll tell you what, are there media members who don't care for NE or more specifically Belichick, I am sure there are.  Is it possible that some of them (like Easterbrook), use their column to grind that axe?  I am sure it is. 

Could the particular pundit (whoever he is) in question be one of those mentioned above?  Could be. 

Who cares.  I've heard pats fans continue to talk sh&t about the colts even though the colts have generally been the better team the last 5 years (not the 5 years prior).  Are there reporters who don't give the colts respect?  you bet there are.  Heck, we have one in our own city.  

Just because you don't agree with them doesn't mean they don't deserve to be taken seriously. 

I fully expect the pats to contend next year.  I don't think all of those picks will be a great deal of help, but they don't need to be.  The core of the pats with a few exceptions (like every team) is fairly well set going into 2011.  But given 2 "one and dones", I think its ok for the media to question the pats as SB favorites. 

As for whether or not spygate helped?  Only one person can answer that question, and unfortunately for you guys, he's demonstrated that he can't be trusted. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]The guys a moron.  The odds are set based on how people bet.  If the bettors think the Pats have the same chance as the packers to win, then they have the same odds. As far as the "shocking" play off losses - the Jet loss was shocking, but the loss to the Ravens wasn't shocking.  The Pats were beat up pretty badly by the post season. Spygate, spygate, spygate.  IF it provided an edge it was during the regular season.  The Giants beating them in 07 and the Jets win involved defensive schemes that neither team had implemented.  The Pats were unprepared because they hadn't seen them before. And not winning the SB since 04?  Let's see, did anything happen after the 04 season that may have impacted the Pats? Could it have been a rule change that changed the way Defensive Holding and Pass interference were defined, effectively changing how the Pats played defense.  i seem to recall that the rule change was put in at the insistance of the Owner of the Colts. Could the rule change had any impact considering Spygate broke several years after 04?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    1.  not a rule change. 
    2.  it occurred after the 03 season. 

Next time try posting something worthwhile.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Underpants blistered by Killa on that one.  He's right.  Dead on.  ESPN is like Fox News.  They know what they need to do to get ratings, but no one takes them seriously for getting facts.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Rob Parker ESPN, Pats overrated for SB. : 1.  not a rule change.  2.  it occurred after the 03 season.  Next time try posting something worthwhile.
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

If it wasn't a rule change than how did it occur after the 03 season?

Next time, try not being a tool.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's impossible. That's Underpants you are talking to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]Well UD6 the mere fact alone that this Rob Parker guy works for ESPN means he should never be taken seriously. If you take ESPN seriously I think you should probably just stop watching sports all together.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

hmm.  a common refrain on this board.  "never take espn seriously". 

But you left the rest of the general sentiment out - "unless they praise the pats.  then they are ok"

Its so common here.  Hate on ESPN unless they say good things. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Rob Parker ESPN, Pats overrated for SB. : If it wasn't a rule change than how did it occur after the 03 season? Next time, try not being a tool.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]
    It was a rules "emphasis".  the 5 yard chuck rule has been on the books for quite some time.  some teams believed that the refs were not applying the rule on the field. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brughj121212. Show brughj121212's posts

"lost 4 out of last 5" typical New England hater. Brady has top two most votes ever in a MVP voting 07,10

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Not sure why someone would care what some nobody on espn has to say.  I've seriously never heard of the guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The thing I brought away from this is how detached writers are from certain teams or perhaps all teams.  It looks like they don't keep a diary or history of what they write which is a shame.

The two "one and dones" are so different.  The first one was a team that couldn't win on the road against good teams.  Remember that?  The defense was terrible that season.  I don't think anybody here expected to get to the SB with this team.  It wasn't so much the loss to Baltimore that was shocking as much as it was the way Baltimore ran at will against that defense.

The second "one and done" was by a team that might get there.   The combination of the schedule and youth was a huge obstacle.  Again, at the beginning of the season who was picking the Pats to do anything?  The Jets were suppose to win the division with Miami following up.

Two completely different teams with two completely different outlooks.  The one common thread was the Pats were not expected to do much in either.  

Plus, the guy doesn't know much about betting in Vegas.  Especially, if you're going to comment on such a thing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommmper. Show Stommmper's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: According to Rob Parker ESPN, Pats overrated for SB. : Yes. I don't think the Colts are overrated heading into next season. They'll be favorites in that division, because quite frankly, no other team in that division has positoned themselves better. Houston is apparently still a sieve on D.  Tenn will probably take a step back and Jax will probably be mediocre again. So, that puts them in a playoff spot and a possible playoff run. You seem to have a tough time understanding the difference between some dope inferring Spygate had something to do with what NE built, helping to win 3 SBs or go to 4 SBs for that matter, and when a media head in Boston wants a legit primary source's take on said witch hunt. One is to discredit, the other is clarifying reality.  Get it, Corky? In other words, what on earth is someone doing bringing up Spygate and connecting it to no titles? Weren't we over this in 2007? Did we not say Tyree's once in a lifetime helmet catch?  Do people not realize how stupid they look leaving out facts and realities from a discussion? NE is 53-16 since 2007, yet they live in the past because they don't have a ring? I am starting to think jealous NFL fans and ESPN heads will commit a mass suicide if/when NE wins another SB. The jealousy is beyond unhealthy.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    Get off Rust's back, he is so right!
    WE have 6, count em, 6 picks and BB is gonna get some wicked good players and were gonna win the Super Bowls right up until 2012 when th eplanet blows up. Yell

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Didn't Rob Parker host "The Price Is Right"?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Who's Rob Parker?  Isn't he some kind of wine afficiando?
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

This was my question.

Absolutely never heard of this guy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

My numeric stats ranked the Patriots #1 by a good margin as they finished the 2010 season.  Green Bay was #2.

The Patriots put an extraordinary number of players on injured reserve, about as many as Green Bay.  At least 2/3 of these guys will be back.  Watch out for both of these teams.

New England has picks #17, #28, #33, #60, #74 and #92, according to WalterFootball.  New England wins this one -- Green Bay doesn't have much drafting power in April.  Green Bay gets #32, #64 and #96, perhaps the third weakest set of draft picks in the NFL, better than Oakland who traded away their first rounder, and maybe better than the Jets who traded away their second rounder.  The Jets have nothing except #30 and #94.

I think that individual games are overrated as a predictor.  Since 2001 the Patriots are 14-5 in postseason play, or 73%.  They're only 121-39 in the last 10 regular seasons, a smidge over 75%, often against lesser teams.

To sum it up, here come the swimming lessons for the sharks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

The Pats went 14-2 in a "rebuilding" year.  They have the best-- or at worst,  one of the two best-- QB's in the AFC.  They had key defensive players out all of  last yearwho should be returning healthy this year (Ty Warren, Bodin) plus they are loaded with picks in the first three rounds. Makes sense that people would wager on the Pats as having a pretty good chance of going all the way. 

The NFL playoffs is a crapshoot, sort of like March madness.  One bad game and you're done. Tough to predict, particularly tough to win it all more than once in any  3-5 year window. 

Even with the last two years playoff losses, Brady and Belichick have a good track record in the playoffs. I like their chances next year, but I could really care less what the Vegas odds are or what some talking head who is trying to stir up ratings says.

Sections
Shortcuts