Addai "Quit"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Addai "Quit"

When asked about his decision to release RB Joseph Addai, BB said the it "simply didn't work out". But, a "league source" reportedly stated that Addai was struggling during his conditioning test, and quit. Patriot RBs are required to run 20 timed sixty yard sprints, with minimal rest:  http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/07/27/belichick_not_surprised_by_absence_of_brian_waters/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news

With Addai gone, what's next for the Patriots at RB? Do they go with Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, undrafted FA Brandon Bolden, and one of the several FBs they signed on for this year? Who among these types is ready to seize the BJGE role, especially in short yardage and red zone situations? Should the Pats go into the season without a veteran RB? Should they make a play for disgruntled Jacksonville star RB, Maurice Jones-Drew...though that would likely mean BB having to part with his #1 pick next year? 

Here's some articles on the Pats' RB situation: http://blog.patriots.com/2012/07/25/from-the-hart-committed-to-young-rb-committee/; Brandon Bolden scouting report: http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/post/2011/6/brandon-bolden-scouting-reports.html; Ryan Grant:  http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9475/ryan-grant; and  http://www.totalpackers.com/2012/03/08/oh-thats-right-ryan-grant-is-a-free-agent/; Jones-Drew trade: http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2012/07/could-the-jacksonville-jaguars-trade-rb-maurice-jones-drew/; and http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/401949/justin-barney/2012-07-24/if-maurice-jones-drew-forces-issue-jags-must-trade-him

Thoughts?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Addai "Quit"

Just like a Colt, he must have learned this from polian and Dungy.

I think the RB position is set. Barring a trade there is nobody out there that is an improvement over the guys we have.

let the 2nd and 3 rd round picks from last year have an opportunity to make plays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I don't have the link but I think it was ESPN Boston where Ridley said that he and Addai had been working out together at LSU and that Addai was always pushing for a little more and what a great vet he was and that he was in excellent shape.

Then he can't pass the conditioning test?  Go figure.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

If this sort of thing makes you sick, then stop coming here and be well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Re: Addai "Quit":
    [QUOTE]If this sort of thing makes you sick, then stop coming here and be well.
    Posted by antibody[/QUOTE]

He's the only poster I have on ignore.

Do yourself a favor.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" : He's the only poster I have on ignore. Do yourself a favor.
    Posted by Salcon[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'll consider it.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

And what's makes most of us sick is pee-ons like JetMangione who come here every day just to stir $hit and try and get people to react. Pretty sad little life he leads, sitting at his keyboard, friendless, feeding on the reactions he gets with his useless posts. Hope you are proud of yourself and your pethetic little life you lead. Add me to the long list of ignores you gutless turd.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Who the h3ll cares?????????? A cheap FA pick up that did not make it, With his history what did you expect.

The gossip circle needs more fodder to B!TCH about. Carry on girls....

And the same goes for that airbag troll..........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" : Seems that you don't understand what "here" means in a informationally connected world.  The reports of Addai "quitting" or Francona drug addiction were all over national outlets.  Although you may think that the world somehow revolves around BDC, you are mistaken.  Try getting out a bit.  When you are old enough, travel, check out what exists beyond Brockton. 
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]

I've been "beyond Brockton" for a long time. Try getting out of mom's basment once in a while.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I see absolutely no reason to bring in anymore RBs. Ridley & Vereen are going to be our guys, and in my opinion, they are going to be excellent. Both young, strong, fast. We drafted them in the 2nd & 3rd rounds for a reason, and they aren't rookies anymore. They may have not seen a ton of action, but they now have a year under their belts, and I'd bet at least one or both are going to have great production. I think many will be pleasantly surprised with these two young backs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

[QUOTE]A great example on how Boston professional sports work.  Publicly, make it seem like you're offering little information and taking the high road.  Then, release this sort of thing to the media on the down low.  This makes me sick.  We saw it with Francona and a number of former NE area athletes.
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]

Idiot, it states a league source. The NFL is headquartered in NYC. It was a leak to the spiteful NY media.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

First, I don't believe the information Second, Addai has been a class guy, excellent performer, and a leader and true great on some great Colt teams. No need to bash him as he struggles with injury and maybe end of the line.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]First, I don't believe the information Second, Addai has been a class guy, excellent performer, and a leader and true great on some great Colt teams. No need to bash him as he struggles with injury and maybe end of the line.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

YOU ARE ONE TO TALK!  You spend all your time bashing current Pats players,coaches, and front office moves. Now you take offence, and come to the support of a washed up clot player who has been consistently injured for the last three years. Not only has he been injured forever, now he has been outed as a QUITER. Are you UD or just his moron brother.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Addai "Quit"": [QUOTE]I see absolutely no reason to bring in anymore RBs. Ridley & Vereen are going to be our guys, and in my opinion, they are going to be excellent. Both young, strong, fast. We drafted them in the 2nd & 3rd rounds for a reason, and they aren't rookies anymore. They may have not seen a ton of action, but they now have a year under their belts, and I'd bet at least one or both are going to have great production. I think many will be pleasantly surprised with these two young backs. Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE] I can think of a few reasons...they really haven't played much, they have proved nothing, neither of them has had to block in the nfl yet, one of them fumbled too much and the other got hurt five minutes into training camp. I agree they were drafted for a reason and I'd have to think both should be just fine, but having a veteran around to block and mentor a bit wouldn't hurt. I watched Laurence Maroney crap his pants in the spot light for four seasons....I think you got prepare for things like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Addai "Quit"": I can think of a few reasons...they really haven't played much, they have proved nothing, neither of them has had to block in the nfl yet, one of them fumbled too much and the other got hurt five minutes into training camp. I agree they were drafted for a reason and I'd have to think both should be just fine, but having a veteran around to block and mentor a bit wouldn't hurt.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Amen. The Patriots' corp of RBs was mediocre last year. With the best of this mediocre group, BJGE, moving on, the RB position has become a concern. BB is gambling big-time on Ridley and Vereen.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" :      Amen. The Patriots' corp of RBs was mediocre last year. With the best of this mediocre group, BJGE, moving on, the RB position has become a concern. BB is gambling big-time on Ridley and Vereen.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

EVERY single team move is a gamble.......... If it wasn't so the SB would be a lock every year....... So what is new????

OH yea. and BB has made 50% of the SB's since he joined the Pats. SSSOOOO his gambles are close to a shore thing.........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

The word "quit" unfortunately has negative connotations that may be unfair to Addai.  If the guy was struggling to keep up and was physically unable to continue the sprints, he may simply have come to the conclusion that this was a job he was no longer able to do and decided to offer his resignation before he collapsed from exhaustion and had to be carted away.  That wouldn't make him a "quitter" in the negative sense of the word, just a guy who realized he wasn't up for the job anymore. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Addai "Quit":
    [QUOTE]     When asked about his decision to release RB Joseph Addai, BB said the it "simply didn't work out". But, a "league source" reportedly stated that Addai was struggling during his conditioning test, and quit. Patriot RBs are required to run 20 timed sixty yard sprints, with minimal rest:   http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/07/27/belichick_not_surprised_by_absence_of_brian_waters/?rss_id=Boston.com+--+New+England+Patriots+news     With Addai gone, what's next for the Patriots at RB? Do they go with Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, undrafted FA Brandon Bolden, and one of the several FBs they signed on for this year? Who among these types is ready to seize the BJGE role, especially in short yardage and red zone situations? Should the Pats go into the season without a veteran RB? Should they make a play for disgruntled Jacksonville star RB, Maurice Jones-Drew...though that would likely mean BB having to part with his #1 pick next year?       Here's some articles on the Pats' RB situation: http://blog.patriots.com/2012/07/25/from-the-hart-committed-to-young-rb-committee/ ; Brandon Bolden scouting report: http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/post/2011/6/brandon-bolden-scouting-reports.html ; Ryan Grant:   http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9475/ryan-grant ; and  http://www.totalpackers.com/2012/03/08/oh-thats-right-ryan-grant-is-a-free-agent/ ; Jones-Drew trade: http://www.thepigskinreport.com/2012/07/could-the-jacksonville-jaguars-trade-rb-maurice-jones-drew/ ; and http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/401949/justin-barney/2012-07-24/if-maurice-jones-drew-forces-issue-jags-must-trade-him      Thoughts?             
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Addai Quit!  The first thing this brings to mind is a team that quit on a perfect season a couple years back. Residual effects?? Could be.

I can't imagine the Jags would trade Drew as bad as that situation may look. He's responsible for a lot of their offense and I expect them to work out a long term deal within the next couple of weeks.

Who will fill the BJGE role? Stayed tuned for more "Running back by committee".

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]The word "quit" unfortunately has negative connotations that may be unfair to Addai.  If the guy was struggling to keep up and was physically unable to continue the sprints, he may simply have come to the conclusion that this was a job he was no longer able to do and decided to offer his resignation before he collapsed from exhaustion and had to be carted away.  That wouldn't make him a "quitter" in the negative sense of the word, just a guy who realized he wasn't up for the job anymore. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Sorry...I'm not buying it. Addai took Bob Kraft's money to sign on with the Patriots. By signing him up, BB showed that he was counting on Addai to perform a role with the team. At the very least, Addai has an obligation to come to camp in shape...ready to accept whatever role that BB had in mind for him. 

Do you really think that Addai went up to BB after failing to complete this endurance test...a test that all Patriots' skill players are required to to perform...and told him that he wasn't up to it anymore? Do you really think that Addai is going to hand Bob Kraft back his money?

This was a case where Addai simply showed up out of shape. After the Haynesworth/Ocho experience of last year, BB obviously didn't have the patience for it:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ad4053/article/joseph-addai-reportedly-quit-on-new-england-patriots

Here are the terms of the Pats' one year deal with Addai, which he signed back in May. It shows that BB was counting on him:  

Closer look at Addai's 1-year deal

Taking a closer look at the one-year contract signed by running back Joseph Addai, and what it might mean for the Patriots:

Base salary: $725,000
    Signing bonus: $75,000
    Workout bonus: $50,000
    Roster bonus: $218,750
    Incentives: $300,000
    Salary cap charge: $1.36 million

ANALYSIS: At this time of year, many of the deals signed by veterans are for the minimum. This deal isn't, which could reflect how the Patriots plan for Addai to be on their roster. From the team side, this type of contract is consistent with the offseason approach of offering a modest bonus to attract proven players who can help build better depth.

Addai gets $125,000 up front (signing/workout bonuses) whether he makes the team or not.

Meanwhile, a more significant part of the deal is the roster bonus ($218,750), which sets up a situation where Addai can earn more if he's on the roster and contributing. From the Patriots side, the roster bonus is money they can feel more comfortable paying when knowing for certain that he's on the club.

The feeling here is that Addai will ultimately make the club, and this will turn out to be a good deal for him, but this contract reflects there is a minor level of uncertainty about him making the cut:
    http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7895138/new-england-patriots-agree-deal-joseph-addai-source-confirms

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think your going a little over board Tex. The guy has been injured for like 6 years. there is a good chance he "quit" because he just couldn't finish. I hardly think it was premeditated. We brought him in for a visit and had time then to decide whether or not it was worth it to sign him and we chose to do so.

Again, I think we got a good look at Rildey,Vareen and Bolden and it is a testament to them that we cut Addai. They are ready to contribute, and believe me as a fan who thinks we need to use the running game more then we do, I am nervous about having this many young guys on the team. Then young guys don't get injured as often as old vets.... Fred taylor,Sammy morris, Kevin Faulk.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" :      Sorry...I'm not buying it. Addai took Bob Kraft's money to sign on with the Patriots. By signing him up, BB showed that he was counting on Addai to perform a role with the team. At the very least, Addai has an obligation to come to camp in shape...ready to accept whatever role that BB had in mind for him.       Do you really think that Addai went up to BB after failing to complete this endurance test...a test that all Patriots' skill players are required to to perform...and told him that he wasn't up to it anymore? Do you really think that Addai is going to hand Bob Kraft back his money?      This was a case where Addai simply showed up out of shape. After the Haynesworth/Ocho experience of last year, BB obviously didn't have the patience for it: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ad4053/article/joseph-addai-reportedly-quit-on-new-england-patriots      Here are the terms of the Pats' one year deal with Addai, which he signed back in May. It shows that BB was counting on him:   Closer look at Addai's 1-year deal By Mike Reiss Taking a closer look at the one-year contract signed by running back Joseph Addai, and what it might mean for the Patriots: Base salary: $725,000 Signing bonus: $75,000 Workout bonus: $50,000 Roster bonus: $218,750 Incentives: $300,000 Salary cap charge: $1.36 million ANALYSIS: At this time of year, many of the deals signed by veterans are for the minimum. This deal isn't, which could reflect how the Patriots plan for Addai to be on their roster. From the team side, this type of contract is consistent with the offseason approach of offering a modest bonus to attract proven players who can help build better depth.      Addai gets $125,000 up front (signing/workout bonuses) whether he makes the team or not.      Meanwhile, a more significant part of the deal is the roster bonus ($218,750), which sets up a situation where Addai can earn more if he's on the roster and contributing. From the Patriots side, the roster bonus is money they can feel more comfortable paying when knowing for certain that he's on the club.      The feeling here is that Addai will ultimately make the club, and this will turn out to be a good deal for him, but this contract reflects there is a minor level of uncertainty about him making the cut: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7895138/new-england-patriots-agree-deal-joseph-addai-source-confirms   
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I really think Addai probably thought he was ready for camp and then had a rude awakening duing the sprints and said "I can't finish this."  And that was it. 

$125,000 is chump change in today's NFL, so I don't think anyone is too upset--except probably Addai who I'm sure was hoping to make the team.  

Sections
Shortcuts