Addai "Quit"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsGnome. Show PatsGnome's posts

Re: Addai "Quit"

In response to "Re: Addai "Quit"": [QUOTE]The word "quit" unfortunately has negative connotations that may be unfair to Addai.  If the guy was struggling to keep up and was physically unable to continue the sprints, he may simply have come to the conclusion that this was a job he was no longer able to do and decided to offer his resignation before he collapsed from exhaustion and had to be carted away.  That wouldn't make him a "quitter" in the negative sense of the word, just a guy who realized he wasn't up for the job anymore.  Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE] I have to disagree. Addai quit on the Patriots, if he had chosen the option of retirement, then the Patriots would not have released Addai. The Patriot's in the past had players choose this option and it is not a disgrace. But, quitting on your team is a disgrace. Addai has not retired yet, so he must be looking for another team to sign him when a particular team runs into trouble with their running backs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm glad we're not going to have a former Colt on the team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Addai "Quit":
    [QUOTE]I think your going a little over board Tex. The guy has been injured for like 6 years. there is a good chance he "quit" because he just couldn't finish. I hardly think it was premeditated.

RESPONSE: Who said that him quitting was "premeditated"? The bottom line is that he came to camp out of shape after accepting the Pats' contract offer, and money. Sorry, but that's inexcusable, especially for a veteran. What does Addai's past injuries have to do with anything? No one has reported that he couldn't pass the conditioning run due to an injury.

We brought him in for a visit and had time then to decide whether or not it was worth it to sign him and we chose to do so.

RESPONSE: That's right. Do you really think that BB would have signed him if he was damaged goods? Do you think that Addai had to pass do his conditioning run as a condition precedent to the Pats' signing him? Every player under contract is counted upon to report to training camp in shape. Addai should be both embarrassed and ashamed of himself for letting the team down. There's simply no excuse for him to report camp out of shape, after taking the teams' money.  

Again, I think we got a good look at Rildey,Vareen and Bolden and it is a testament to them that we cut Addai.

RESPONSE: That's possible, I suppose. But it's far more likely that Addai simply got cut because he failed his conditioning test.

They are ready to contribute, and believe me as a fan who thinks we need to use the running game more then we do, I am nervous about having this many young guys on the team. Then young guys don't get injured as often as old vets.... Fred taylor,Sammy morris, Kevin Faulk.

RESPONSE: Let's hope you're right about Vereen and Ridley being ready and able to contribute. As far as younger RBs don't get injured as much as older ones go...I can't say. Vereen hardly saw the field last year due to hamstring issues. 
         Let me ask you this...would you be in favor of the Pats' trading their 2013 #1 pick to Jacksonville to get Maurice Jones-Drew, assuming he's available? Could that be the move to get the Pats' back to the SB, and over the SB hump?    
         Or...would you rather see BB gamble on the kids coming through?  
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I love it when chicken hawks question the toughness of players like Addai or Maroney.  You can't get off your couch without straining your back but you're more then qualified to call Addai or Maroney a p_ssy.

Brilliant.  Mighty, here is your answer to your Maroney query in the "erudite" thread, Maroney averaged 4.5 yards per carry when healthy.  Get a grip.

You aren't fit to judge a player who made it to the pinnacle of football. The average career of an NFL player is 3 years, do you get those odds in accounting?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Who the h3ll cares?????????? A cheap FA pick up that did not make it, With his history what did you expect. The gossip circle needs more fodder to B!TCH about. Carry on girls.... And the same goes for that airbag troll..........
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]

lets not use a term referring to females as a term to disparage others.

peace

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I think your going a little over board Tex. The guy has been injured for like 6 years. there is a good chance he "quit" because he just couldn't finish. I hardly think it was premeditated. We brought him in for a visit and had time then to decide whether or not it was worth it to sign him and we chose to do so. Again, I think we got a good look at Rildey,Vareen and Bolden and it is a testament to them that we cut Addai. They are ready to contribute, and believe me as a fan who thinks we need to use the running game more then we do, I am nervous about having this many young guys on the team. Then young guys don't get injured as often as old vets.... Fred taylor,Sammy morris, Kevin Faulk.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

if we dont add a stud. i  actually like this better. bb is reluctant to play rookies. old school. you gotta earn your spot over time. this year, if we have young guys he will just have to go with the best of them. if we did last year wed know exactly what we had in ridley by 3/4 through the season. till now, we know he looked good a for the amount of plays he got and that fumbled twice (hardly a mortal sin as a rb)

id lofe to see a lot of vereen ridley bolden, and if none of them can cut it we'll have to pick up something this year and something better for the long term. otherwise we find out we got something good and exactly what that is.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

If Addai only failed the conditioning test he would have been held out of camp, been on the sidelines riding a stationary bike until he did pass (like other players who didn't pass in BB's tenure). If he did quit, so be it. The world, the NFL, and the New England Patriots move on. I hope this opens the door a little for the rookie Bolden.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]If Addai only failed the conditioning test he would have been held out of camp, been on the sidelines riding a stationary bike until he did pass (like other players who didn't pass in BB's tenure). If he did quit, so be it. The world, the NFL, and the New England Patriots move on. I hope this opens the door a little for the rookie Bolden.
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

+1

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" : +1
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Bolden has potential:
    http://www.fanaticalfootballfiend.com/3/post/2011/6/brandon-bolden-scouting-reports.html

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

opinons around camp are the same re bolden potential.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" :      Sorry...I'm not buying it. Addai took Bob Kraft's money to sign on with the Patriots. By signing him up, BB showed that he was counting on Addai to perform a role with the team. At the very least, Addai has an obligation to come to camp in shape...ready to accept whatever role that BB had in mind for him.       Do you really think that Addai went up to BB after failing to complete this endurance test...a test that all Patriots' skill players are required to to perform...and told him that he wasn't up to it anymore? Do you really think that Addai is going to hand Bob Kraft back his money?      This was a case where Addai simply showed up out of shape. After the Haynesworth/Ocho experience of last year, BB obviously didn't have the patience for it: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82ad4053/article/joseph-addai-reportedly-quit-on-new-england-patriots      Here are the terms of the Pats' one year deal with Addai, which he signed back in May. It shows that BB was counting on him:   Closer look at Addai's 1-year deal By Mike Reiss Taking a closer look at the one-year contract signed by running back Joseph Addai, and what it might mean for the Patriots: Base salary: $725,000 Signing bonus: $75,000 Workout bonus: $50,000 Roster bonus: $218,750 Incentives: $300,000 Salary cap charge: $1.36 million ANALYSIS: At this time of year, many of the deals signed by veterans are for the minimum. This deal isn't, which could reflect how the Patriots plan for Addai to be on their roster. From the team side, this type of contract is consistent with the offseason approach of offering a modest bonus to attract proven players who can help build better depth.      Addai gets $125,000 up front (signing/workout bonuses) whether he makes the team or not.      Meanwhile, a more significant part of the deal is the roster bonus ($218,750), which sets up a situation where Addai can earn more if he's on the roster and contributing. From the Patriots side, the roster bonus is money they can feel more comfortable paying when knowing for certain that he's on the club.      The feeling here is that Addai will ultimately make the club, and this will turn out to be a good deal for him, but this contract reflects there is a minor level of uncertainty about him making the cut: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7895138/new-england-patriots-agree-deal-joseph-addai-source-confirms   
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

TP - that contract actually tells me he was a fringe player and they were expecting him to be. You can always tell by signing bonus vs roster/incentive bonuses. If BB was expecting any player to make the team typically they give them more money up front in the signing and workout bonuses. If they are a long shot they get a majority in roster and incentives. Considering half his salary would have been incentives and roster bonus it means they brought him in to camp to give him a shot but didn't plan on him playing a role on the team unless he proved he deserved it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

So the former Colt FA we signed is a pansey, Addai swindled Bob Kraft out of his lunch money of 125k and now Kraft is headed to the poor house, The NY Media is a bigger bunch of sl##zeballs than the Regular National media, and finally Pats are scr#wed in 2012, considering NE's 2012 Avaliable Team Cap money can now be rounded down to just 10 Million...verses rounded up to 11 Million.

This cover it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I never expected Addai to make it past September (I figured he'd mentor for a bit and then Ridley would take over), but this is embarrassing. If you are a professional running back, you should be able to run sprints without people trying to tackle you. Even if you're slightly out of shape you should be capable of doing this if you are an NFL back that is 29 years old. Disgusting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Maybe his hamstring gave out.  The guy's been injured a lot over the past few years.  Maybe he reaggravated something and didn't want to make it even worse than it was. I don't get all the vitriol directed at this guy. Plenty of players struggle with BB's conditioning tests.  Some unnamed source says something and it's reported by some obscure reporter for CNN New England (have you ever heard of Mary Paoletti?) and people are talking about the guy like he's got the moral character of Jerry Sandusky.  Would it make people here happier if he ran until he collapsed and died like Korey Stringer?  Would people then be coming on and saying Bob Kraft got his $125,000 worth?  Geez.  Talk about disgusting. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to "Re: Addai "Quit"": [QUOTE]Maybe his hamstring gave out.  The guy's been injured a lot over the past few years.  Maybe he reaggravated something and didn't want to make it even worse than it was. I don't get all the vitriol directed at this guy. Plenty of players struggle with BB's conditioning tests.  Some unnamed source says something and it's reported by some obscure reporter for CNN New England (have you ever heard of Mary Paoletti?) and people are talking about the guy like he's got the moral character of Jerry Sandusky.  Would it make people here happier if he ran until he collapsed and died like Korey Stringer?  Would people then be coming on and saying Bob Kraft got his $125,000 worth?  Geez.  Talk about disgusting.  Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE] Yeah I guess you're right, it could of been his hamstring and if he kept running it could of killed him....add in the fact that 120k isn't a lot of dough for a couple of sprints. I'm sure what the pats are trying to do is keep the mysterious injury quiet until they sign him back onto the roster in a couple of weeks...Belichick will just let this "quitting" story run a bit longer to add to the intrigue.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

I'm happy he's gone

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe his hamstring gave out.

RESPONSE: Nonsense! No one has reported this. No matter how you attempt to twist things, the facts before us indicate that he came to camp out of shape, and failed his conditioning test.

The guy's been injured a lot over the past few years.  Maybe he reaggravated something and didn't want to make it even worse than it was. I don't get all the vitriol directed at this guy. Plenty of players struggle with BB's conditioning tests.

RESPONSE: The Patriots were counting on him to make the team, and provide veteran leadership. They may have gone in a different direction, and picked up a different veteran RB (Tim Hightower?), were it not for the Addai deal. He stole $125,000 from the team and ate up a far greater amount of precious cap space, in reporting to camp out of shape. He at least owed the Patriots his best effort. 

Some unnamed source says something and it's reported by some obscure reporter for CNN New England (have you ever heard of Mary Paoletti?) and people are talking about the guy like he's got the moral character of Jerry Sandusky.

RESPONSE: How do you know that it was an "obscure source"? Apparently, not so obscure, as the media is relying on it...and nothing has come from the Addai camp to the contrary.

Would it make people here happier if he ran until he collapsed and died like Korey Stringer?  Would people then be coming on and saying Bob Kraft got his $125,000 worth?  Geez.  Talk about disgusting.

RESPONSE: Really...LOL!!! The fact that he quit is secondary to his failing to take his responsibilities to the team seriously. Playing football is his job. The minimum requirement is that he reports to camp in top shape, and gives his best effort. Had he done that, he would have earned his $125,000, whether he made the team or not.
         How many guys out there would gladly bust their butts to get in tip-top shape, on a chance to win a spot on an NFL team? Though it may seem like a mere pittance to you, $125,000 for a couple of months of working out is far more money than most people earn in a year. 
         Addai threw away an opportunity, and let the team that was counting on him to come in and compete, down.  

Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"How many guys out there would gladly bust their butts to get in tip-top shape, on a chance to win a spot on an NFL team? Though it may seem like a mere pittance to you, $125,000 for a couple of months of working out is far more money than most people earn in a year." 

TexasPat
    -  I'm gonna ask you this 1 time, and I would like for you to answer me in all earnestness, regardless of my feelings...
    ~Do you think that I really could- have 'what it takes' to be a Pro Football star?  -'Cause I do...have for a really long time now, actually.  This is my Pro spot, ready?  =Strong Safety...And I am TELLING you, I man that spot like a CHAMP.  HS Team stopped doing the Tri-town Football thing my Jr & Sr years...BUT (check this)- JV Coach, HS Gym Teacher, My dad, brother, and NO less than 2 DOZEN seperate friends and acquaintences, WILL ALL, probably more often than not, attest to the fact that I play my Coverage D, LIKE G-luuue....  And you know I'm crazy- No 1 dimensional player in Laz...heck, I'd rather the running play head my way so I can be involved in a collision; Whenever it didn't I felt left out anyway.  Oh, yup- Played Man Up D Lacrosse too-Senior year captain tasked with shutting down (say, whaaat?)-THE OPPOSING TEAMS TOP OFFENSIVE SCORER...mmm-hmm.  Lastly, If unbelievably, even that's not enough background qualifiers, ANY-one in my parent's neighborhood, can ALSO attest to the fact that my game's just nasty, nasty, nasty...

Any-way- Quick Q:  WILL this here be requiring A-Lot of additional excercise, as you now say during the full span of (and I will be holding to this) NO Greater than 3 Months time?  Example: I do the exercise bike for 15 minutes before I lift 3X a week.  Now- For instance (just to start with a sorta "roundabout")- WILL you be expecting more of say, In the neighborhood of a "5 minute bump-up" in total time on the stationary bike...or, eeeh-ah, say a "15 Minute BUMP-UP"?  And finally now...How will- Or, I should rephrase: "How should or How should I not now," Begin to incorporate those foods commonly referred to as "fruits &/or vegetables" into my greater Daily Diet?  I believe they DO play a role somehow greater than the flavors commonly found in Fruit roll-ups and 7-11 slurpees...I'm just not precisely sure to the "full" extent (or, look just mentally picture: "____?").

Finally now... Some Important details:  I'd like any number in the range of: 17-30...  Now, NOT all of'em- 21, and 22 are out...and given the choice between either "29" or "30", I'll take #29 all day long...so try to visualize along those lines on this one for me.  Now, I WILL consider 37, 38, or 39...AND 41, but that is it.  *Check this- I'm going for quiet & reserved in my Number, BUT wild and ostentatious in my gameday wardrobe...YET, After I crush someone or Run one of several of my Pick 6's on in during this upcoming season alone, I will be forwarding that Quiet & Reserved attitude of celebratory show & display (or lackthereof)-like a Quiet Assassin of Certain Unceremonious Death. 
    Look'a that ^ ?  Take'a look at that:  That has Winning All-Pro Combo, written ALL Over It!  
         Oh, my garb!! (best part)-  I will be going for the full knee high Solid Color (matched with the jersey, never the pants) Sock Affect in my display.  Likewise, I'll be doing the same per shoe color-Matched to knee football socks.  Now my tats...And here we run in to a slight issue-  Right sleeve's good to go (yet needs some touchup), but the left sleeve is in some 2/3rd's stage of a piecemeal mess still;  PERFECT Plan of Action=The "Allen Iverson" single sleeve...Awesome.  Everyone'll think it's just for ease of movement on 1 side for a greater ideal flow to bat away passes in air-So even better, right?  And as an aside: Just for added affect-Single spandex dry-fit sleeve, again= Matched to both sox and shoe solid single color.  Ideally now, I'd wish to get at least some of that 125k forwarded to me just so that right open arm is good to go on television...HD, close-ups-gotta make sure that side's ink is REAL tight in this day and age if I want to start and have any real shot to make a pro bowlesque impact in my quality of play in NE's Secondary...  Look, I know this is being picky, BUT I plan on forwarding myself as a TRUE professional, thus-  IF I plan on r!pp!n' sh#t up on the nationally televised pro football stage, I plan on donning a well-orchestrated gameday ensemble that is nothing less than spectacular.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Is BB taking a gamble with his young backs if he doesn't bring in any vets? Maybe he is, but doesn't he & every coach in the league have to gamble somewhere, somehow with his team each and every year?

As I said in a previous post, neither Ridley nor Vereen saw a lot of action last year, but it sure looks as if BB has seen enough to take that gamble. I'm one of the people that think Ridley looked way better than BJGE ever did. And 2 fumbles just doesn't scare me....I think this kid is the real deal...if they give him the majority of touches this year, I predict 1000 yard season for him.

Vereen was drafted ahead of Ridley, so one has to think that the potential is there for these two to really be something special. Time will tell as usual...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Is BB taking a gamble with his young backs if he doesn't bring in any vets? Maybe he is, but doesn't he & every coach in the league have to gamble somewhere, somehow with his team each and every year? As I said in a previous post, neither Ridley nor Vereen saw a lot of action last year, but it sure looks as if BB has seen enough to take that gamble. I'm one of the people that think Ridley looked way better than BJGE ever did. And 2 fumbles just doesn't scare me....I think this kid is the real deal...if they give him the majority of touches this year, I predict 1000 yard season for him. Vereen was drafted ahead of Ridley, so one has to think that the potential is there for these two to really be something special. Time will tell as usual...
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you're right. As you say, time will tell.

I'm not too concerned about the RB situation. But, the OL is another matter. LT Matt Light is gone, and will be replaced by second year man, Nate Solder.  Logan Mankins may be out to as late as November, recovering from a serious knee injury. RG Brian Waters is 35, and may retire. RT Sebastien Vollmer still is bothered by back and ankles woes. Center Dan Koppen is 33 years old, and coming back from a serious ankle injury. YUCK!  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" :

You really do like to get on your moral high horse and point fingers at others don't you?  I presume you've never failed at anything or let anyone else down in your life, have you?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Is BB taking a gamble with his young backs if he doesn't bring in any vets? Maybe he is, but doesn't he & every coach in the league have to gamble somewhere, somehow with his team each and every year? As I said in a previous post, neither Ridley nor Vereen saw a lot of action last year, but it sure looks as if BB has seen enough to take that gamble. I'm one of the people that think Ridley looked way better than BJGE ever did. And 2 fumbles just doesn't scare me....I think this kid is the real deal...if they give him the majority of touches this year, I predict 1000 yard season for him. Vereen was drafted ahead of Ridley, so one has to think that the potential is there for these two to really be something special. Time will tell as usual...
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

"I'm one of the people that think Ridley looked way better than BJGE ever did. And 2 fumbles just doesn't scare me.."

you and me both

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" : You really do like to get on your moral high horse and point fingers at others don't you?  I presume you've never failed at anything or let anyone else down in your life, have you?

Look whose talking...LOL!!!

Unfortunately, failing is part of life. But, not trying your best is unacceptable...especially when you've been paid top dollar to do your best.

Don't you agree?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" :      Look whose talking...LOL!!!      Unfortunately, failing is part of life. But, not trying your best is unacceptable...especially when you've been paid top dollar to do your best.      Don't you agree?       

Do you know he didn't try his best?  That's the problem with your accusations.  You weren't there and you don't know what happened, but you're jumping to all sorts of conclusions about the guy's character based on a very sketchy second-hand report.  I think that's unfair, and quite frankly puts your own character in a rather unflattering light. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addai "Quit" : Do you know he didn't try his best?  That's the problem with your accusations.  You weren't there and you don't know what happened, but you're jumping to all sorts of conclusions about the guy's character based on a very sketchy second-hand report.  I think that's unfair, and quite frankly puts your own character in a rather unflattering light. 

Are you and Addai related?...LOL!!! I guess you don't agree with my previous post, that we should all give our best effort, especially when we're being paid to do so? Oh, well... 

Addai came to camp out of shape. Considering that he was well paid, and was being counted upon by the team, that's unacceptable. Until I see something to the contrary, other than your baseless whines, that's my opinion. 

Frankly, resorting to personal attacks on my character seems to me to put your own character in a rather unflattering light. You're an intelligent guy, and should know better. 

Sections
Shortcuts