Addai Getting the "Maroney Treatment" in Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Addai Getting the "Maroney Treatment" in Indy?

Apparently, Joseph Addai and Laurence Maroney have more in common than just being RBs, who happened to be drafted out of the same draft class. Both are drawing criticism for being "dancers" at the line of scrimmage.

Addai has been the more successful of the two RBs, having rushed for more yardage and being a much better receiver coming out of the backfield than his Patriots' counterpart. But, both suffered injury plagued seasons in 2008, with Maroney essentially missing the season, and Addai missing several games. 

Indy finished 12-4 in the regular season last year, but lost to a seemingly inferior, 8-8 Chargers' team in the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Patriots, though having the great misfortune of having to play the 2008 season without Tom Brady, still managed an 11-5 record...but failed to make the playoffs by a whisker. 

Much of the blame for each teams' failing have bbeen heaped upon Addai and Maroney. I am of the opinion that the criticism of these two still very young RBs (Maroney is only 24, while Addai is 25) lies with the mediocre performance of their respective offensive lines, and as a direct result of injuries suffered.

The Patriots have bolstered their RB corp by adding veteran Fred Taylor, while the Colts have strived to help Addai by usinng their #1 draft choice on RB Donald Brown. I look for both Maroney and Addai to have fine seasons in 2009: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2009m4d29-Way-too-early-to-give-up-on-Indianapolis-Colts-RB-Joseph-Addai.

Thoughts?  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

Re: Addai Getting the "Maroney Treatment" in Indy?

I'm with you Tex, although I have to totally disagree with any Indy critisism of Addai. 

I don't think he's ever had the potential to be better that what we've seen, he's just been fortunate to play in a Manning (pass) offense, which has opened the door for his numbers to appear better than he is (as proven with James before him).  It's a mixed blessing though, because Indy has a history of running their backs into the ground, while at the same time the Patriots have gone to great lenghths to preserve Maroney. 

I think Indy made it clear from day 1 that their plan was to use him up, and for a smaller, non-elusive back like Addai, it's starting to take its toll on his body.  There just aren't that many RB's that can be the workhorse day in/day out like he was in his first two and a half years.

On the other hand, I think Maroney was pampered too much when he was healthy.  Now it appears its a moot point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

It may be just me, but I think Maroney is better when he goes up the sides as opposed to up the middle.  He is better when there is open field in front of him.  He doesn't seem strong enough to break out of holes in the middle.  I say give him one more year and then make a decision.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It may be just me, but I think Maroney is better when he goes up the sides as opposed to up the middle.  He is better when there is open field in front of him.  He doesn't seem strong enough to break out of holes in the middle.  I say give him one more year and then make a decision.
    Posted by 347pg

In fairness to the kid, there hasn't been much running room for him up the middle. I'd like to see the Pats use him as a receiver more on swing passes and screens. Hes' capable of making some big plays if given the ball in open space.

The main problem with him is that hes' been injury prone. One of the things I like about him is that he doesn't fumble...only one since 2006.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Tex that fumble in 06 was one hell of a play by lance briggs in chicago. Maroney ran up the middle and lance stood  him straight up and took the ball right out of his hands. I agree get him in some space and he is deadly. He might get some kick off returns this season which could help him gain some confidence. I do think this is his last chance and hopefully he makes the most of it. As for Addai hes been decent for them but hes not an elite back and probably never will be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Fuzz - Addai had 226 attempts in 06 (25th in the league) and 261 attempts in 07 (11th).  I hardly think that is using him up. 

In situations like these, we never know as much as the team knows.  Yes, addai was hurt ALL year which dramatically hurt his production.  But how hurt?  He started 12 games.   

This can be construed as him being tough or not really that injured.  If the former, then I say there is a fine line between showing toughness and hurting your team.  If the latter, then well the colts need to look in another direction. 

Frankly, I think it is a little of both AND platooning RB's has proven to be effective not only with the colts but throughout the league.  I would say that while the colts had needs outside of RB (although this was also a need with Rhodes gone and Hart still mending) Polian felt Brown was too good of a back to pass on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As for Addai hes been decent for them but hes not an elite back and probably never will be.
    Posted by uncommon-sense

Bill Polian made a rare mistake after his Colts won the SB in the 2006 season. His mistake came when the real SB MVP (I know, Peyton won it, but he shouldn't have), RB Dominik Rhodes, left for Oakland as a free agent. Polian never retained a decent RB to replace him. 

As a result, Joseph Addai was left to be basically a one-man band in the 2007 Indy backfield. Addai got beat up and worn down that year...and hasn't looked like the 2006/2007 version of himself since. The acquisition of Brown should allow the Colts to cut in half Addai's reps, and revujinate and extend his career.

I hate to say this, but I think that Brown was a great #1 selection by Polian...who will immediately re-energize and rejuvinate the Indy offense. Like Addai, Brown is a dual receiving/rushing pain in the neck out of the backfield.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's a familiar refrain from an Indy perspective -- blame the offensive line, and it certainly is true that if you open a six-lane highway in front of him, Maroney has shown that he will run down it. But expecting holes to be gaping and open forever is asking too much. I don't much give a damn about Addai, but in my opinion Maroney simply does not attack the line of scrimmage -- ever .  .  .  under any circumstances. If that is because he has suffered a succesion of injuries and is contact shy, that's fine .  .  .  go work at Burger King. I'm not particularly interested in digging for reasons to defend guys who don't produce. Mediocre running backs are ten cents for 12.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

It's a familiar refrain from an Indy perspective -- blame the offensive line, and it certainly is true that if you open a six-lane highway in front of him, Maroney has shown that he will run down it. But expecting holes to be gaping and open forever is asking too much. I don't much give a damn about Addai, but in my opinion Maroney simply does not attack the line of scrimmage -- ever .  .  .  under any circumstances. If that is because he has suffered a succesion of injuries and is contact shy, that's fine .  .  .  go work at Burger King. I'm not particularly interested in digging for reasons to defend guys who don't produce. Mediocre running backs are ten cents for 12.
    Posted by prairiemike

Have you ever tried playing football with a shoulder injury? The kid is no wimp...hes' just been snakebit by injuries. You seem to forget how well Maroney ran, inside and out, during the tail end of the 2007 season...and in the playoffs against Jacksonville and San Diego.

I'm sure that hes' just as frustrated as we are over his injury problems. But, the kid is 24 years old. Its' much too early to write him off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I do remember that. But I don't get this "he's great in open space" take.

Every running back is great in open space, and if guys are hurt, that's fine.

Should we all sit back and watch him dance around behind the line of scrimmage, perfectly happy that he's useless because he's hurt. Injuries occur, and if you can't come back from them, that's perfectly okay. But why are you taking up space on the roster if you can't play?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If by the maroney treatment you mean a bunch of bone head fans jumping the gun and calling for a guys job then yes thats the Maroeny treatment. he will do fine in Indy and Maroney will do fine in NE and hopefulyl that will shut both set of fans up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I do remember that. But I don't get this "he's great in open space" take. Every running back is great in open space, and if guys are hurt, that's fine. Should we all sit back and watch him dance around behind the line of scrimmage, perfectly happy that he's useless because he's hurt. Injuries occur, and if you can't come back from them, that's perfectly okay. But why are you taking up space on the roster if you can't play?
    Posted by prairiemike

What is there not to get? The guy is fast, elusive, and powerful, once hes' up to full speed. Thats' why he was such a dangerous kick-off returner...and has made some big plays on screens and sweeps. 

The OL has been inconsistent in its' their run blocking. Any back "dances around the line of scrimmage" when there are no holes to run through, and two defensive lineman are in his face.

That said, I agree that there comes a point where, when a guy keeps getting hurt, hes' not dependable. I believe that Steven Neal, at age 33, has reached that point. But Maroney is just 24 years old. Its' far too early to quit on him. Plus, who do the Pats have at RB who are better than him, when hes' been healthy?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree with to Tex, he is far to young to quit on. Look at Kevin Faulk he was not always the great player he is now but he stuck around long enough to carve out a nintch for himself and Maroney is able to do the same thing if we let him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Again, every running back in the NFL is dangerous once they're "up to full speed" in "open space." Given enough "open space," you or I could be effective NFL running backs. Obviously, that's retarded, but the point is that we have seen what Maroney can do and then we have seen him not do it. The general consensus in here seems to be that this year is some kind of "make or break" year for Maroney and I'm thinking that's probably right. He can either recover from his injuries or he cannot -- so logically, if he's in a contract year, the brass is going to have to take a hard look at what this guy can or cannot be in the NFL. I'd love to see the guy who was getting lose in secondaries two years ago, but I haven't seen him, and frankly I don't expect to.

Gopher Nation, out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

TP - I've got to disagree with you.  The colts picked up Kenton Keith who performed pretty effectively at 121 carries 533 yards and 13 receptions.  Other than the nice doink off of keiths hands at the 5 yd line (a sure td against SD that resulted in a great int) in the playoffs, he played well for the colts.  Had he not gotten in trouble with the law, I think he would have been retained for 08 and I don't think Rhodes would have been resigned. 

Yes, Addai did take a greater load, but 06 was his rookie year.  It should be expected of a probowl rb to take more carries his second year.  At 11th most (261 carries) I don't think that was asking too much. 

I hope you are right about Brown.  I think it was an expensive pick for a second back.  That said, polian's first round Rb's have turned into probowlers. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

If dancing Laura starts over bashers Morris and Taylor i'll be surprised.

Maroney is a 4th RB on this team, Faulk is better also.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP - I've got to disagree with you.  The colts picked up Kenton Keith who performed pretty effectively at 121 carries 533 yards and 13 receptions.  Other than the nice doink off of keiths hands at the 5 yd line (a sure td against SD that resulted in a great int) in the playoffs, he played well for the colts.  Had he not gotten in trouble with the law, I think he would have been retained for 08 and I don't think Rhodes would have been resigned. 

RESPONSE: Keith was no Rhodes, but did perform well for Indy in spot duty. But, how many of those carries came against good teams? As you correctly pointed out, when pressed into service in a big game, the clock struck midnight for him.
         Marginal players often can be effective to a point with good teams...like RBs Sammy Morris and BenJarvus Green-Ellis have for the Pats. But, guys like this usually have an expiration date. I do feel Addai was overused in 2007 and 2008...and played hurt.

Yes, Addai did take a greater load, but 06 was his rookie year.  It should be expected of a probowl rb to take more carries his second year.  At 11th most (261 carries) I don't think that was asking too much. 

RESPONSE: The league has changed. More teams are using 3-4 defenses, which are harder to run against. The defensive lineman and linebackers are getting bigger and faster every year. Because of this, the days of depending on one RB to be the "workhorse" are over. Seemingly every team is now using a RB by comittee approach...or has two good RBs. The Colts joined the club last Saturday when they drafted Donald Brown. 

I hope you are right about Brown.  I think it was an expensive pick for a second back.  That said, polian's first round Rb's have turned into probowlers.

RESPONSE: I see great things ahead for Brown. Both he and Addai will be the beneficiaries if the Indy OL becomes more stable. If Jeff Saturday (knee), Tony Ugoh (back), and Mike Pollak (knee) are 100%, the Indy running game will be that much more effective.

Posted by underdogg

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Again, every running back in the NFL is dangerous once they're "up to full speed" in "open space." Given enough "open space," you or I could be effective NFL running backs.

RESPONSE: Oh come now...have you or I ever run a 4.5 40, even in our wildest dreams? Both of us could get knocked over by a feather by these 6'3", 250-300 pound masterdons.   

Obviously, that's retarded, but the point is that we have seen what Maroney can do and then we have seen him not do it.

RESPONSE: When healthy, Maroney has done fine. But, can he ever stay healthy?

The general consensus in here seems to be that this year is some kind of "make or break" year for Maroney and I'm thinking that's probably right. He can either recover from his injuries or he cannot -- so logically, if he's in a contract year, the brass is going to have to take a hard look at what this guy can or cannot be in the NFL.

RESPONSE: Agreed. Maroney has to stay healthy this year, or hes' gone. But, even if he doesn't, some team (Jets, Denver, Miami) will pick him up. He just has too much raw talent to give up on. Even Cedric Benson found a job (Bengals) after drinking and dogging himself out of the league.  
          Remember RB Antwain Smith? He was a #1 draft choice of the Buffalo Bills years ago...but was released because he couldn't stay healthy. Yet, the Pats picked him up off the scrap heap...and performed extremely well.  

I'd love to see the guy who was getting lose in secondaries two years ago, but I haven't seen him, and frankly I don't expect to. Gopher Nation, out.

RESPONSE: Like Steven Neal, Maroney hasn't showed that he can stay healthy. So, the Pats picked up a contigency plan, named Fred Taylor.

Posted by prairiemike

Mike:

Lets' hope that Maroney can finally stay healthy...and give the Pats fans that 1000-1200 yard season that they have been waiting for. It would be a huge help to both Tom Brady, and the defense (clock control).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

TP - I think I do agree with you that marginal players don't always step up.  And maybe that was keith's issue.  And I also agree that Keith was not as good as Rhodes, but Rhodes was not all that great this last year.  Unfortunately, Hart went down.  It appeared that he might have been very good for the colts last year. 

I see your point about 3/4 d's but I am not convinced he was overused.  I suppose that is possible if he was injured, but if what you say is absolutely true then it would seem there is no purpose taking an RB in the first which I don't agree with. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP - I think I do agree with you that marginal players don't always step up.  And maybe that was keith's issue.  And I also agree that Keith was not as good as Rhodes, but Rhodes was not all that great this last year.  Unfortunately, Hart went down.  It appeared that he might have been very good for the colts last year.  I see your point about 3/4 d's but I am not convinced he was overused.  I suppose that is possible if he was injured, but if what you say is absolutely true then it would seem there is no purpose taking an RB in the first which I don't agree with. 
    Posted by underdogg

Too bad about Hart. He had potential.

In todays' NFL, a team needs a set of decent RBs (like the Patriots), or two very good ones...like Indy now has. The Addai/Brown tandum could be very scary.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

Interesting conversation. Here's my two cents worth. Going into the preseason I believe there are 6 RBs on the roster, Faulk, Taylor and Morris positions are secure baring injury or other problems, BJGE, Maroney and the new draftee are in a battle to secure one of two remaining or possibly one slot, with BJGE most likely favored going in. Maroney simply must remain healty and produce.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I'm probably with the minority that thinks Maroney is done in NE.  I have him as not a bust just not a production player considering where he was taken.  Guys sometimes just need a change and thie might be Maroney's.

I don't think he'll last the season because he won't see the field too much.  If the guys ahead of him stay healthy he will be released or traded if there's any value there.

I hope if he gets a chance he takes advantage, he has all the ability to be a great RB but just hasn't been able to put it together.  I think he's biggest enemy this year is how many carries are there to be had and how many good RBs are going to take most of those.  If he gets on carry he better take it to the house.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

I never saw Maroney as a regular...didn't see what the fuss was when he hit the NE radar.  His lack of dependability leaves the team always wondrin't if he'll be in the (next) game.  The team obviously needs to establish a running game.  Ergo, I don't see the team "treating" Maroney in a negative fashion.  Rather, he played (or not played) himself into his current position.  Regardless, the Pats need a running game to balance their attack.  'Nuff said.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The team needs a running game? really? cause i am pretty sure we rushed for over 2000 yards last season with the backs we had. You just want to see a work horse back break 100 yards all by his lonesome but its not going to happen. We did just fine with the guys we had last year. And adding Fred Taylor will only help the group plus a healthy Maroney is always good.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Posted by 347pg

I believe his contract expires after this season so if he gets hurt again or continues to under perform you won't see him the next season. If Green-Ellis gets more playing time this coming season and looks good it would take a miracle for Maroney to get resigned

Sections
Shortcuts