Additional on the Lombardi situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Additional on the Lombardi situation

By Nic Reiner | ESPN.com   The Cleveland Browns' front office shakeup continued yesterday when Ray Farmer was promoted to general manager and Alec Scheiner was said to be transitioning into a true president role, thus replacing previous GM Mike Lombardi and CEO Joe Banner, respectively. How does this influence key free agent situations like that of safety T.J. Ward and Pro Bowl center Alex Mack?

"Move with #Browns may mean there’s hope for (D'Qwell) Jackson, Alex Mack, T.J. Ward. New approach means new thinking," reported ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon.

Echoing this sentiment, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported that the Browns now have a much better chance at retaining Mack, though he will still test free agency. Rapoport said that Mack was likely gone before because of "bad feelings built up over uncertainty and lack of contract progress."

Both Mack and Ward will be top free agents at their respective positions. There's still a chance they go elsewhere but the road to keeping them seems more smooth now for the Browns.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Additional on the Lombardi situation

I dont think C's are commanding a lot of money in free agency...I could see MAck at 4-5 years with an AAV of $4M and $10-$12 guaranteed....

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

The browns are a mess, the most disorganized organization in the league, lets take a look at what they have done.

First they fire their 1 yr coach, then hire a new coach, then fire their GM and elevate a person to GM.

Most oranizations do it this way.

Fire a GM, then let the new GM make a decision of keeping or fireing the coach, if option b they get to find a coach who is on the same wavelenght as them. The way the browns just did it, the could be a whole new round of firings this time next year.  What a mess they are. Just reenforces my happiness with the organization we currently have and look at the browns with sadness and with bitter sweet memories of the sullivan regime.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You have to have the owner. I can go right down the list of NFL teams who don't have one and I can tell you right now they will not ever be a legit SB contender.

Cleveland is one of them. Now, when they hired Lombardi, I thought they realized what they needed to do, which was scale back, tell the fans to be patient and wait 3 years to get their ducks in a row.

They couldn't even wait ONE.

1. Owner

2. GM/Coach

3. QB

Gotta have some semblance of quality in all 3 to have a shot.

Look at Cincy.  OWner/GM is Mike Brown. Nice job lately, you can tell he's getting it finally, but he's notoriously cheap and Dalton is a question mark.

So, they don't have all 3 working well right now.  Lots of talent, they seem to get the cap concept, etc, but #1s and #3 are question marks.

[/QUOTE]

What about Seattle? I thought their coach suxed? You said so.

What about Denver? I thought Elway/Fox suxed? You said so.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from endofdayshogwash. Show endofdayshogwash's posts

Mack? Funny place for a truly awful team to spend first rate money, a position that really only needs a big guy to snap...the Donkeys proved that this year, and we proved you NEED a big guy snapping this year, but not a 4-5 mill/year....way too much when you need more $$ spent in other positions...

If Mack gets 4-5 /yr, Wendell will be worth 3-4, and he's not getting it here, that's for sure...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Mack=$4-5AAV

Wendel=$2-2.5AAV

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You have to have the owner. I can go right down the list of NFL teams who don't have one and I can tell you right now they will not ever be a legit SB contender.

Cleveland is one of them. Now, when they hired Lombardi, I thought they realized what they needed to do, which was scale back, tell the fans to be patient and wait 3 years to get their ducks in a row.

They couldn't even wait ONE.

1. Owner

2. GM/Coach

3. QB

Gotta have some semblance of quality in all 3 to have a shot.

Look at Cincy.  OWner/GM is Mike Brown. Nice job lately, you can tell he's getting it finally, but he's notoriously cheap and Dalton is a question mark.

So, they don't have all 3 working well right now.  Lots of talent, they seem to get the cap concept, etc, but #1s and #3 are question marks.

[/QUOTE]

What about Seattle? I thought their coach suxed? You said so.

What about Denver? I thought Elway/Fox suxed? You said so.

[/QUOTE]

Fox kinda sucks, yeah. He doesn't do much, Bustchise. He's kind of a figurehead coach type like a Dungy. Kinda strolls up and down the sidelines chewing gum and clapping.  

Carroll was a great college coach and walked into a great situation led by Schneider. I never said he was a bad coach.  I said his style will fade quickly, because it's gimmicky.

Elway only became the GM today and still hasn't seen his team build a winner.  Read up, Bustchise.

No, for you Jets, you have trifecta of disaster:

1. Crappy owner.

2. Crappy GM/Coach (Coach controls the GM)

3. Crappy QB

This means you are 0/3 on what is needed. Enjoy at least 2 more years of .500 or sub .500 mirage work in NJ.

LOL!

[/QUOTE]

Not sure that Carroll and the Seahawks will be fading anytime soon, unless injuries set in on defense big time....other than this, the Seahawks will be right back there next season too...Carroll is a excellent coach and finally in a good situation in Seattle.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I remember when BB walked from Damien Woody.  It was a key move because it didn't destroy the cap in upcoming seasons. NE went on to win 1 more ring without Woody. It would have hurt the Pats for years moving forward, too, with key guys moving on earlier like Vrabel, maybe Bruschi or even Rodney. The 2005, 2006 and even 2007 seasons as well.

One bloated contract can do it.

If Farmer caves to Mack, Mack will set them back years.  I think Mack wasn't going to get a new deal from Lombardi which is why there was no deal already.  Mack would have gone to FA and only if the money made sense, would he be resigned.  

This is the mistake GMs make.  Haslem is now letting players and contract demands control the cap recipe, which is a mistake.

Again, Lombardi needed 3 years minimum.  He didn't get it. Epic fail.

And now woody is saying he made a mistake in leaving

btw he is a good listen

and iwe need a better center

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I dont think C's are commanding a lot of money in free agency...I could see MAck at 4-5 years with an AAV of $4M and $10-$12 guaranteed....

[/QUOTE]

And, by the way, if Lombardi could have gotten Mack at those numbers, the deal would be done.

It's clear Mack is asking for much more than that based on no deal done.

[/QUOTE]

the issue seem to be that once Chud was fired, Mack did not want to play in Cleve under Banner/Lombardi. NOw that they are out, it appears that Mack wants to stay.

Sections
Shortcuts