ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE!

You have to figure if Jackson and Sharpton arnt trying to make coin off this then the slavery card cant be legally played.

FAIL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE!:
    You have to figure if Jackson and Sharpton arnt trying to make coin off this then the slavery card cant be legally played. FAIL
    Posted by Philskiw1

lol!!

Nice one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE!:
    Maybe if he earned his degree he could have been smart enough to consider how this would be taken by the fan.
    Posted by Sam-Adams

I was just about to submit a post about how much milk people have beeen wasting out their noses over this labor strife . . .   when, suddenly, I read something that actually WAS milk-out-the-nose funny.

Elite athletes . . .   earning degrees.

As Beldar Conehead might say: "Astronauts . . .  to the moon? Ha, ha, ha, ha!"

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE! : What is minimum wage for a practice squad player?
    Posted by BBReigns
    peterson would likely call that a genocide of epic proportions that makes what hitler and stalin did seem like a kool-aid slumber party in comparison.... 

those guys make around a non-guaranteed max of 102k for the year with a minimum of around 6k per week with ZERO fringe benefits over 17 weeks. pats are actually the benovolent "slave owners" in this regard, in that they are generally the top team in terms of pay to practice squad guys. a few years ago they give billy yates 425K which is the guaranteed amaount he would have made had he been on the active roster plus getting him some fringe benefits. all the patriot practice squad guys made well in excess of the minimum. the team average was around 185k. again, i can feel their pain. how can these interns possibly buy groceries on such measly earnings? they could easily go elsewhere in corporate america and make millions as everyone else does as an intern!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

How this is compared to salery is beyond me.  They can quit the NFL any time they wish to.  They don't need to work there.  Come to the private sector where the real fun is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE! : What is minimum wage for a practice squad player?
    Posted by BBReigns

Over 80K a season.  Not bad for only participating in practices.  Not bad considering some of them would be bagging groceries otherwise.  Not bad if you compare it to similar "apprentice" programs.  That's a good way of looking at it.  They are basically in an apprenticeship program.  

Several practice squad players also get paid well above minimum salary.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Dear Adrian Peterson...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

looks like peterson just fumbled his reputation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE! : Over 80K a season.  Not bad for only participating in practices.  Not bad considering some of them would be bagging groceries otherwise.  Not bad if you compare it to similar "apprentice" programs.  That's a good way of looking at it.  They are basically in an apprenticeship program.   Several practice squad players also get paid well above minimum salary.
    Posted by carawaydj

Thanks, I seriously did not know.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Brand me and put me on/in the fields....nice pay and lots of time off...must be a miserable life to live

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

One of the most preposterous utterances ever and one certain to be of astronomical PR value to the owners.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Surely Prolate and Z have different thoughts about this, no?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

If Adrian Peterson doesn't like how his employers are treating him then maybe he should get a real job and see how he likes it! 

My employer isn't going to open there books for me and I am praying I get a 3% raise this year.  Incase AD doesn't know it, that is less than the cost of living increase!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

This may be the first post of yours I really liked. Well played. I think you do better when you quit worrying about being contrarian and riling people up and just do your thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

This may be the first post of yours I really liked. Well played. I think you do better when you quit worrying about being contrarian and riling people up and just do your thing.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker
    i go with the flow. sometimes its good to coincidentally take the contrarian view and end up riling people up. sometimes its good to just coincidetally roll with the kool-aid and end up soothing people down. whether i am liked or not ultimately depends on the point of view of the individual reader not me. you obviously like THIS position. next month, when i am also "just doing my thing", you may turn against me again. i just hope you and others who may disagree at that time may keep in mind that i am the same person. sometimes we agree, sometime we don't. wait long enough, there may be another point of agreement!Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Surely Prolate and Z have different thoughts about this, no?
    Posted by UD6

Of course employment in the NFL is not like slavery . . . but some of the attitudes of the pro-owner crowd here make me think that if slavery for players were legal, many would not object.

While the actual conditions of employment in the NFL are not at all like slavery, the attitudes toward ownership and labor expressed by some of the owners' defenders here (and maybe held by some of the owners themselves) are very much the same attitudes that make slavery possible where it's not prohibited by law.

And there is something about a draft that does feel just a little like a livestock auction, no?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Sounds like a pick up game when you were a kid. If it was ok and fair then then its fair now. Cept Doug Anderson wont be getting 6 mill per.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Sounds like a pick up game when you were a kid. If it was ok and fair then then its fair now. Cept Doug Anderson wont be getting 6 mill per.
    Posted by Philskiw1

It's kinda funny how if a white person makes any comment that includes the word slavery it somehow gets twisted into that person being a racist..... even though slavery existed thousands of years before it started in the USA and has nothing to do with skin color.

However a black athlete makes a comment like this and people will forget about it in a week.  It's just another example of a minority taking advantage of a society petrified of even the semblance of racism that they can get away with anything.  The only problem here is that the athlete is just so incredibly stupid that his comment doesn't even make enough sense for him to gain anything from it.

What he should have said was the white plantaion/football team owners are out whipping them every day during practice and making them live in dirt shacks.

I mean seriously .. where are all the black special interest groups ? Shoudln't they be ticket off at this black athlete for making a mockery of slavery ? They seem to jump on every opportunity  to ride the media to personal glory.  I guess they only do that if a white person makes the comment..............

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Here's what Peterson said, by the way:

"It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too."

I think he was really talking about the attitudes of "owners" to workers in general (hence the reference to "regular jobs").  And in that, I'm not sure I fully disagree with him. 

Wage slavery has never been nearly as bad as chattel slavery. But it does share some similarities. For those who know their history, slave owners frequently made the argument that chattel slavery in the South wasn't any worse than wage slavery in the North. Where their argument went wrong was in trying to justify the continued existence of one injustice on the grounds that another continuing injustice was equally as bad. But their recognition of injustice in both cases was spot on.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE! : Of course employment in the NFL is not like slavery . . . but some of the attitudes of the pro-owner crowd here make me think that if slavery for players were legal, many would not object. While the actual conditions of employment in the NFL are not at all like slavery, the attitudes toward ownership and labor expressed by some of the owners' defenders here (and maybe held by some of the owners themselves) are very much the same attitudes that make slavery possible where it's not prohibited by law. And there is something about a draft that does feel just a little like a livestock auction, no?    
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

I'd be very interested in the specifics.  Which comments by which poster leads you to infer a 'pro-slavery' attitude? 

Quite frankly, attempting to defend Peterson's comment is nearly as absurd as the comment itself.

And your alternative to the NFL draft would be precisely what?  As you well know it's not the person that is owned by a particular team but his right to participate at the NFL level.  A player can always opt out of the draft or opt simply not to play.  The option is always his.  No team can compel a player to play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE! : Of course employment in the NFL is not like slavery . . . but some of the attitudes of the pro-owner crowd here make me think that if slavery for players were legal, many would not object. While the actual conditions of employment in the NFL are not at all like slavery, the attitudes toward ownership and labor expressed by some of the owners' defenders here (and maybe held by some of the owners themselves) are very much the same attitudes that make slavery possible where it's not prohibited by law. And there is something about a draft that does feel just a little like a livestock auction, no?    

Wow.  Because these people strongly support ownership who want 10 million more per team than the current deal allows, they are akin to pro-slave mentality?  And I wonder if any cattle at auction have been able to wiggle out of their sale like Eli and Elway were able to do?  And I wonder why the player cattle so willingly attends the draft when the offer is to do so is made? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Here's what Peterson said, by the way: "It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too." I think he was really talking about the attitudes of "owners" to workers in general (hence the reference to "regular jobs").  And in that, I'm not sure I fully disagree with him.  Wage slavery has never been nearly as bad as chattel slavery. But it does share some similarities. For those who know their history, slave owners frequently made the argument that chattel slavery in the South wasn't any worse than wage slavery in the North. Where their argument went wrong was in trying to justify the continued existence of one injustice on the grounds that another continuing injustice was equally as bad. But their recognition of injustice in both cases was spot on.

Wage slavery?  Isn't it ironic that there are so many who work for managers without a need for a union and likely have less overall benefits than those who do, yet it is unions or pro-union supporters who are the ones that would claim wage slavery? 

If a union worker has negotiated a better deal than a non-union worker, why in the world would management give even more to the union worker who already has the better deal?      

And the managers/owners are greedy?  As you describe it, the union wants to have their cake and eat it too.

Wage Slavery is simply a convenient term used as a negotiation tactic.  In the player's case, there are other football leagues in which they may play, but none afford the income and luxuries that NFL does for their service. With all of those free agents out there, I've heard of none that have said they are bagging the NFL for another league, and only one who says he will play in another league.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: ADRIAN PETERSON: ITS LIKE SLAVERY ALL OVER AGAIN... I AGREE! :   And there is something about a draft that does feel just a little like a livestock auction, no?    

Yes . . .  there is, pro.

In much the same way that National Signing Day for elite high school seniors feels just a little like a livestock auction.

But I guess, in your world, when you're giving away free "education" . . .  

(please pardon me for a moment, while I laugh uproariously at my own little joke) 

. . .   the "livestock auction" is perfectly okay . . . which is not even to mention that those very same kids scratch and claw (and lie and cheat) to position themselves as best they can for the next one.

You should get another hobby . . . hypocrisy isn't working out that well for you, dude.

I've heard good things about curling.

Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

Here's what Peterson said, by the way: "It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too." I think he was really talking about the attitudes of "owners" to workers in general (hence the reference to "regular jobs").  And in that, I'm not sure I fully disagree with him.  Wage slavery has never been nearly as bad as chattel slavery. But it does share some similarities. For those who know their history, slave owners frequently made the argument that chattel slavery in the South wasn't any worse than wage slavery in the North. Where their argument went wrong was in trying to justify the continued existence of one injustice on the grounds that another continuing injustice was equally as bad. But their recognition of injustice in both cases was spot on.
    ok pro, y should anyone ever own a business. you sound like a radical leftie. ok, let us have the government own everything for its immoral and indecent for anyone to own anything esp a business.... wage slavery is the classic oxymoron. you may leave and go elsewhere whenever you can or want. again, peterson's point is so off and inappropriate.. there is NOTHING about the nfl players akin to that of any REGULAR worker including non-player employees!

Sections
Shortcuts