Adrian Wilson Made me Miss Meriweather last night

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Adrian Wilson Made me Miss Meriweather last night

When that happens, time to recognize a problem. Now the sting of not signing Goldson 2 years ago is really hurting. I mean this guy doesnt really look THAT slow, but he looks old and out of shape and cant break down to make tackles. Too many times I saw a player change direction and he was just out the play? He isnt gonna help much playing like that, in fact I now believe he is on the bubble. I told rkarp that his assesment was sobering 2 weeks ago when he mentioned the same. I mean we have NO safeties. McCourty is supposed to be good this year but he hasnt played much and probably still hurt. Gregory is just ok and still not impressive. Tavon is looking like a bust and an odd man out. A.Wilson is running with the Scrubs and Harmon seems very limited as a S. Showed some promise last week getting to sideline but whiffed several times last night in the run game.

PatsEng, I apologize for not listening to you when u said A.W was washed up because he def. is. He may play a part time role here but he is not a starter anymore and if he does start here, it just because everyone S*cks back there!  Good thing our Front Seven has the potential to be dominant because our back end still scares me and YES I know its preseason,. but getting punched in the mouth, Is getting punched in the mouth. S*cking is S*cking no matter what month it is.

I liked what I saw from Bequeete, Ryan at times and Kelly and some others but a lot of NO Shows last night in week 3, and thats very disappointed , but good news is now BB will have a lot to work on. Same thing happened in 03 when we got smoked by Cincy and preseason and went on to win a SB! lets hope for similar results.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Adrian Wilson Made me Miss Meriweather last night

One play late second quarter, Lion's TE breaks into the middle...Wilson thinks about lowering his shoulder but pulled up and made no effort to attack. A LB, I believe Nink, pulled the guy down from behind. Yes, I know, one play, but it was a hmmmmmm..moment for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I wasn't really certain what to make of AW's presence in the game or how he was used to begin with.  I'm inclined to agree that his performance while out there was something less than I expected.  I hit the sack at the end of the 3rd qtr.  Was he out there much in the 4th?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I wasn't really certain what to make of AW's presence in the game or how he was used to begin with.  I'm inclined to agree that his performance while out there was something less than I expected.  I hit the sack at the end of the 3rd qtr.  Was he out there much in the 4th?

He pretty much almost went wite to wire with the scrubs after the 1s came out which is usually a bad sign. Ditto for T.Wilson who played behing Harmon who isnt impressive. Fauria didnt even know his name. Kept calling him Huron...lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Several top quality players were available during the off season, Pats wouldn't open up their wallet and bring in these quality players.  They want low risk high reward players.  There was a reason Wilson was available to the Pats.  The Pats have cap money left, could have spent wiser IMO.  Best GM in sports.  Come on now.  Pay a bit more and get quality players. I'm tired of getting quantity over quality.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Look, lets not blame the issue of spending resources. The team appears to be ready and willing to sign McCourty to a pretty big deal. They also invested 2 high draft choices the past 2 years on the S position. Lastly, they signed Gregory and now Wilson. That's a lot of resources at that position.

I have not been impressed with Wilson from the opening of camp. He is a step to a step and a half slow. Can his experience cover that up? Does BB have a plan to use him differently than a conventional S? Will the other S's in camp poor performance mean Wilson makes the roster even though he has shown limitations? Which Wilson will be the better player and on the field more often in December, not September...IMO, this is what the coaching staff is deciding. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Look, lets not blame the issue of spending resources. The team appears to be ready and willing to sign McCourty to a pretty big deal. They also invested 2 high draft choices the past 2 years on the S position. Lastly, they signed Gregory and now Wilson. That's a lot of resources at that position.

I have not been impressed with Wilson from the opening of camp. He is a step to a step and a half slow. Can his experience cover that up? Does BB have a plan to use him differently than a conventional S? Will the other S's in camp poor performance mean Wilson makes the roster even though he has shown limitations? Which Wilson will be the better player and on the field more often in December, not September...IMO, this is what the coaching staff is deciding. 

They also spent a lot of resources on CB too but if you aren't spending on the right players to begin with all you are going to do is spend just to spend. TFB is right and I said it at the beginning of the FA period and got killed for it. It doesn't matter how many resources were spent if you use a shotgun style and spread a bunch of resources around but get less quality back then it will never be as effective as getting 1 top quality player. Now there is a fine line between over spending for that quality and spending too much for a single player but it's just as bad to spend a mid 2nd, 3rd, 3mil here, 2mil there and still not have a decent SS out of the bunch. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Several top quality players were available during the off season, Pats wouldn't open up their wallet and bring in these quality players.  They want low risk high reward players.  There was a reason Wilson was available to the Pats.  The Pats have cap money left, could have spent wiser IMO.  Best GM in sports.  Come on now.  Pay a bit more and get quality players. I'm tired of getting quantity over quality.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Dont get me started about Jason Jones who had a couple sacks last night. I wanted the pats to grab him. Ive always liked his game. Detriot has Suh, Jones and the young guy Farley all playing well. I remember when WE valued the D line...smh,. Jones wasnt that expensive..   Our safety position is in shambles because BB didnt want to pay Goldson 2.5 million and he went to make major money in TB. They also drafted a Stud Safety in Barron and signed Revis. Thats another team not scared to spend. I guess Brady and Fork are making too much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Now there is a fine line between over spending for that quality and spending too much for a single player but it's just as bad to spend a mid 2nd, 3rd, 3mil here, 2mil there and still not have a decent SS out of the bunch. 

You are exactly right PatsEng. 

Here is my thing.. Brady has a few years left and then he is gone.  You will never, ever have another QB like Brady.  Probably never, ever going to have the 12-15 year run like the past 12-15 years (by the time Brady retires) again.  Is it worth going all in and having a few more great seasons and then rebuild, have a few bad seasons later?  I say so. Whould you trade anothe SB championship now or next season for a few bad, rebuilding years later? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Dont get me started about Jason Jones who had a couple sacks last night. I wanted the pats to grab him. Ive always liked his game. Detriot has Suh, Jones and the young guy Farley all playing well. I remember when WE valued the D line...smh,. Jones wasnt that expensive..   Our safety position is in shambles because BB didnt want to pay Goldson 2.5 million and he went to make major money in TB. They also drafted a Stud Safety in Barron and signed Revis. Thats another team not scared to spend. I guess Brady and Fork are making too much.

I couldn't agree more.  Spend the damn money and get players, not projects!  Goldson would have cost some bucks but would it have been worth it?  Yes, from what I am seeing right now.  I wanted Cortland Finnegan too.  Wouldn't have been able to get both but I can promise you, one of them added to this team would have been huge.  I'm tired of the quantity over quality, trying to make chicken salad out of chicken crap approach.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"The team appears to be ready and willing to sign McCourty to a pretty big deal."

Why not, the wacko GM spent a lot of money on Arrington also.

"They also invested 2 high draft choices the past 2 years on the S position. Lastly, they signed Gregory and now Wilson. That's a lot of resources at that position."

You can invest a lot of time, money and resources on filling Pot Holes with Swiss Cheese.  Thing is it's never going to work.  We need a better GM making the decisions.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

"The team appears to be ready and willing to sign McCourty to a pretty big deal."

"They also invested 2 high draft choices the past 2 years on the S position. Lastly, they signed Gregory and now Wilson. That's a lot of resources at that position."

You can invest a lot of time, money and resources on filling Pot Holes with Swiss Cheese.  Thing is it's never going to work.  We need a better GM making the decisions.

I dont think that is a fair assesment at all. It has been established here on the board ad nauseum, no one wants a different GM than BB...his success has been phenominal...we can judge his drafting and free agency decisions, but to expect better by anyone else is not realistic...if he is going to coach the team, and coach his style, he should have say in the personel...no one can argue with the end results...its been quite a run, and still going...just needs some tweaks here an there

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

When all teams basically spend to the CAP the question is never one of money but what that money returns in value.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I dont think that is a fair assesment at all. It has been established here on the board ad nauseum, no one wants a different GM than BB...his success has been phenominal...we can judge his drafting and free agency decisions, but to expect better by anyone else is not realistic...if he is going to coach the team, and coach his style, he should have say in the personel...no one can argue with the end results...its been quite a run, and still going...just needs some tweaks here an there

How about simply having a trusted DB scout? I think we can all agree BB is one of the worst DB talent evaluators so would it do that much damage to BB's ego to behind the scenes hire someone and tell BB to take their advice on the subject? For example, I think McDaniels has an eye for WR's. Prior to McDaniels coming back we were horrible at drafting WR's but since McDaniels came back I think BB has put more faith in his abilities and this year, imo, some of these WR hits have come from McDaniels input.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

again, I dont agree...BB is looking for specific traits in his DB's. He values tackling CB's over cover CB's, he likes a CB that can jam the LOS, etc...so there is no sense that the Pats draft the best rated CB, if they dont tackle well.

How about simply having a trusted DB scout? I think we can all agree BB is one of the worst DB talent evaluators so would it do that much damage to BB's ego to behind the scenes hire someone and tell BB to take their advice on the subject? For example, I think McDaniels has an eye for WR's. Prior to McDaniels coming back we were horrible at drafting WR's but since McDaniels came back I think BB has put more faith in his abilities and this year, imo, some of these WR hits have come from McDaniels input.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

One play late second quarter, Lion's TE breaks into the middle...Wilson thinks about lowering his shoulder but pulled up and made no effort to attack. A LB, I believe Nink, pulled the guy down from behind. Yes, I know, one play, but it was a hmmmmmm..moment for me.

All I've heard all pre-season since we aquired AW, is that he's a big hitter. Am I missing something? I haven't seen him crush anyone yet. My questions is this: Does a guy like AW after umpteen years in the league hold out during preseason to avoid injury? That's the only thing I can think of, because I have yet to see this guy bring the hammer. He looks like a beast, why isn't he bringing it? Seeing him play in the 4th last night has me thinking he's gone...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

All I've heard all pre-season since we aquired AW, is that he's a big hitter. Am I missing something? I haven't seen him crush anyone yet. My questions is this: Does a guy like AW after umpteen years in the league hold out during preseason to avoid injury? That's the only thing I can think of, because I have yet to see this guy bring the hammer. He looks like a beast, why isn't he bringing it? Seeing him play in the 4th last night has me thinking he's gone...

I was saying the exact same thing. If so, maybe its ok, but still concerning. I will give him the B.O.T.D and say he is just going thru the motions until reg. season but the comparisons to Rodney need to stop. If AW is playing motivated with something to prove, He is done IMO> If he is saving himself, I'll wait and see. Just disappointed either way. He looks reall stiff and not able to change directions anymore. Rodney came in DAY ONE and was lighting up everyone on the team, IN PRACTICE!!  Willie Mac had to tell him to chill out cuz we needed those guys. I saw him first hand in practice knock out Troy Brown and Kevin Faulk, prompting Willie to say "Ok Rodney, we get it, you still got it, now stop hurting our players"

God I miss those days...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

When I hear the announcers start talking about a safety that plays like a linebacker, I think, that's a heck of a back-handed compliment!

Who will be this years Don Davis?...the LB who plays safety,

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Taylor Mays will be cut by the Bengals, maybe BB makes a move for him. His quickness is in doubt though, but he's built like Wilson and hits like him too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I agree mostly Rusty, but Rodney was nobodys free safety at 6'1# 225. He was just good enough to cover the slot which was a rarity and something I dont expect. I havent noticed AW except when he tries to tackle, he cant break down and square up. Lets hope it works out but Im a little disappointed and I think we need more help.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I agree mostly Rusty, but Rodney was nobodys free safety at 6'1# 225. He was just good enough to cover the slot which was a rarity and something I dont expect. I have noticed AW expect when he tries to tackle, he cant break down and square up. Lets hope it works out but Im a little disappointed and I think we need more help.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

Look at it like this:

1. A. Wilson is not Rodney. I think Rodney is a HOFer. I think Adrian Wilson has had a debatable HOF career. He got buried in crappy Arizona his whole career. He's like Aneas WIllaims of SSs.

2. Talib is here to start the year. He won an offseason award.  Dennard, I feel, will be here.

3. So, even if Gregory is the starter next to McCourty, at least those guys have had a year together, a full camp, etc. I am not saying Gregory is good, but serviceable.  I was hoping A. Wilson would beat him out, but without having enough range, you probably aren't going to start here. BB likes to mix and match Safeties and skill sets. With McCourty starting with Gregory, it appears that will be your starting duo.  It is what it is, just keep in mind, McCourty hasn't been out there yet. It's been a mish mash of Safeties similar to how our O Line was last year, mostly due to some injury issues like Vollmer.

4. Improved pass rush.  I think this is a given. They have more guys who can do it.

5. Wilson only needs to be a strategic guy in here. I have seen zero scheming here with him. WHy would BB blitz him in preaseason or how is a rover type sub player needed now?

We'll see. I don't recall Harrison's first 3 preseason games here so I can't comment on impact with him in preseason that year.

He did have two tackles in the 3rd preseason game.   Wilson had 2-3 last night on 15 snaps. But, I think it may be clear now that A. Wilson won't be a 3 down guy here. But, I'll take a quality sub player if it includes maybe he and Collins for slower guys like Spikes and maybe Nink on 3rds.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060619102911/http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20030822_NE@PHI

agree, Thanik for your honest assesment all the way around. I dont mind Gregory and McCourty in tems of being in position so long as Gregory doesnt come down and cover TE's but I worry about teams with bigger WRs who will go up for passes over the middle with no fear of being hit. (Dmac and Gregory are converted CBs, both under 190 and why I think Boldin and Torrey Smith had a field day) so they dont scare anyone and Wilson cant provide that intimidation from the box. Thats why I was hoping the Harmon kid could play a little because he can seperate WR's from the ball but he was awful in run support last night. Its like if you put all 4 safeties together they form like Voltron to be a complete Safety and I was hoping for ONE of the guys to step up and take Gregory's job. The Bright spot and saving grace is that our front 7 may so be dominant that it doesnt even matter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

A rational and respectful post. Queenie must be back on his meds!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't think we have much choice but to put Wilson out there and see if he becomes a target, it's too late really, we had our shot at signing Gholdson this off season and instead went the cheap route...again. Wilson just looks stiff to me, he doesn't look like he can break down in space and make a play and that's surprising. I fully expected his long speed to be gone, but I didn't expect that ability to quickly fire into a guy in the box to be missing...and maybe it isn't? Maybe we just need to see more?

I'll tell you straight out that I've seen nothing in Harmon or Tavon Wilson that leads me to believe they are anything more than backups/special team players, and that's discouraging...you don't draft guys that high for that purpose. Gregory has no range, athleticism, power, size, speed or strength - I seriously can't believe that guy is even out on the field. When his agent told him Belichick was interested in him, he must of thought he wanted to buy his condo for little Stevie Belichick.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't think we have much choice but to put Wilson out there and see if he becomes a target, it's too late really, we had our shot at signing Gholdson this off season and instead went the cheap route...again. Wilson just looks stiff to me, he doesn't look like he can break down in space and make a play and that's surprising. I fully expected his long speed to be gone, but I didn't expect that ability to quickly fire into a guy in the box to be missing...and maybe it isn't? Maybe we just need to see more?

I'll tell you straight out that I've seen nothing in Harmon or Tavon Wilson that leads me to believe they are anything more than backups/special team players, and that's discouraging...you don't draft guys that high for that purpose. Gregory has no range, athleticism, power, size, speed or strength - I seriously can't believe that guy is even out on the field. When his agent told him Belichick was interested in him, he must of thought he wanted to buy his condo for little Stevie Belichick.

How can we have afforded Goldson? McCourty is due his new deal.  If you sign Goldson to what TB just did, McCourty would have leverage and we'd probably lose him.

BB never pays that kind of money in the secondary either. Please learn that there is a cap and please learn that BB has a formula with certain salary allocation to each positions.

Do you ever think before you bash BB and/or Kraft? There is a cap. We had some cap space, certainly as much as any playoff contender last year if not way more, but jesus.

Wait until Revis's new deal kicks in down there. 

Would you walk up to BB and call his son "little Stevie Belichick"?  If not, don't do it here, please. I know it's hard for you, but try to show maturity at least once a day.

As for Wilson, what plays are you talking about while in the box? I can numerous plays where BB had him in the box later in the game with the 2s and 3s and he made tackles or took on their TE in man coverage, where the coverage was good, with the ball going elsewhere.

Alright, lets play GM for 30 seconds and see if we can solve this huge salary cap dilemma. We have this guy on our team right now that really can't play corner (Kyle Arrington), lets take the 4 million we gave him, and the 1-2 million we gave A. Wilson and sign Gholston. I'm certain we could of had Gholdson's first year cap figure under 6 million. As for next year and our dire need to retain McCourty, why don't we do something totally out of the box? Lets wait and see if the guy can actually play safety at a high level for more than five games, because that's all he's done. If I'm a GM, I'm not going to stay up nights worrying right now if I'm going to be able to retain a guy that failed at corner, had off season shoulder surgery and has done very little to establish himself as a player that will warrant a huge, high priced contract. Now McCourty very well may have a pro bowl year at safety, but he very well may not too.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

How can we have afforded Goldson? McCourty is due his new deal.  If you sign Goldson to what TB just did, McCourty would have leverage and we'd probably lose him.

BB never pays that kind of money in the secondary either. Please learn that there is a cap and please learn that BB has a formula with certain salary allocation to each positions.

Do you ever think before you bash BB and/or Kraft? There is a cap. We had some cap space, certainly as much as any playoff contender last year if not way more, but jesus.

Wait until Revis's new deal kicks in down there. 

Would you walk up to BB and call his son "little Stevie Belichick"?  If not, don't do it here, please. I know it's hard for you, but try to show maturity at least once a day.

As for Wilson, what plays are you talking about while in the box? I can numerous plays where BB had him in the box later in the game with the 2s and 3s and he made tackles or took on their TE in man coverage, where the coverage was good, with the ball going elsewhere.

This is too much Queenie. Would you walk up to Marvin Harrison and call him "wittle Marvie"? Or Welker "wittle Wessie"?

Didn't think so!

Sections
Shortcuts