Adrian Wilson to the Bears

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Adrian Wilson to the Bears

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7m

Bears announced they signed 5-time Pro Bowl safety Adrian Wilson.

I hope the guy truly does have something left. Unfortunate that it didn't work here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Adrian Wilson to the Bears

Damn!  Why didn't we get him???    Oh, wait...........

I think the guy is finished, I really do. 

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And you may very well be right.  We'll see if he makes Bears 53-man and, if so, does he hang in there for the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And you may very well be right.  We'll see if he makes Bears 53-man and, if so, does he hang in there for the season.

[/QUOTE]

It will be interesting to keep an eye on him. Wish we could have seen him play last year to see what he had left. 

Just a interesting bit of info...didn't merriweather get signed by the bears when he was released from the pats?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Interesting.

Would think a big-bodied, older safety like Wilson would want to avoid a cover-2, zone scheme like the plague. That's not to say the guy is totally finished, but rather, that a bigger, more physical player who has never thrived in coverage and is now older, likely wouldn't want to be playing in a scheme that would demand that he covers large portions of the field. Not to mention that it takes away his greatest strength, which is his ability to play in the box and be physical.

Interesting choice, but I suppose someone in his position cannot exactly be particular about where they play. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

A big athletic safety is welcome anywhere if healthy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True...but with this guy that's a big "if" as we found out last year. He might lift a building bit it's his legs that are of immediate concern.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

That's right. Contrary to popular belief, the Patriots aren't the only team in need of safety help.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMike. Show MileHighMike's posts

This proves that BB was right in signing him and also it proves Queenie right in that the guy was only dumped from AZ for salary reasons.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

This proves that BB was right in signing him and also it proves Queenie right in that the guy was only dumped from AZ for salary reasons.

It doesn't prove anything yet. Plenty of guys are signed at this time of the year with some only being training camp fodder. Let's see if he makes the Bears' 53 man roster first.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

It's too bad he got hurt last summer with Achilles thing.  It should be interesting to see him play on a D that desperately needs someone back there after losing Major Wright.

Browner made Wilson expendable here.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's too bad he got hurt last summer with Achilles thing.  It should be interesting to see him play on a D that desperately needs someone back there after losing Major Wright.

[/QUOTE]

I don't really think that is true. The only similarity Bb and Wilson had is they would be able to man up on a TE. Browner will most likely be used on the outside vs. bigger WR and only in certain circumstances vs. TE. Wilson couldn't play on the outside and would be better as a 1-2 down SS in run support in the box. 

If Wilson was healthy enough to play two downs he would be here and we'd have a huge secondary of Revis-McCourty-Browner-Wilson that would work as a unit on 1-2 down

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't really think that is true. The only similarity Bb and Wilson had is they would be able to man up on a TE. Browner will most likely be used on the outside vs. bigger WR and only in certain circumstances vs. TE. Wilson couldn't play on the outside and would be better as a 1-2 down SS in run support in the box. 

If Wilson was healthy enough to play two downs he would be here and we'd have a huge secondary of Revis-McCourty-Browner-Wilson that would work as a unit on 1-2 down

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, just because two guys are big, doesn't mean they are the same player. Being an in the box safety is a lot different than being a corner...doesn't matter how big either one of them is. I'm not saying Browner couldn't take on blocks and tackle a running back, but that's not what he is. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, just because two guys are big, doesn't mean they are the same player. Being an in the box safety is a lot different than being a corner...doesn't matter how big either one of them is. I'm not saying Browner couldn't take on blocks and tackle a running back, but that's not what he is. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I never understand how people could make that connection just like I couldn't understand how people assumed Harrison was going to be converted to TE and LaFell was going to play TE as a joker. I think they see size and say well it should be easy for them to play this position, when in reality it's completely different roles. Honestly sometimes people just want to believe so hard that with the right coaching anything is possible without understanding the limitations and experienced required to just up and move positions like that. It's not that simple.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not what i said.  Please stop putting words in my mouth.

The concept is the bigger in the box defensive back not if wilson could be used at cb. 

Bb has looking for the rover for years.  Wilson would have been that.  Now it is browner's show with the idea they can keep man coverage in case he needs to bounce outside.

Browner is clearly a better option for this, but he was not available last year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

If Adrian Wilson is healthy, which is what I said above.  If he comes back from a torn Achilles which is tough but it will have been the first season ending injury of a long career.  

I love the "I told you so" posters regarding Wilson, as if they saw Wilfork's same injury before it happened.  

If he is healthy he was a Pro Bowl/All Pro level strong safety, that position deems you play with your head first, even if he lost a tenth off his forty he would still be infinitely faster than Rodney Harrison ever was.  

I can see some posters now in my mind's eye saying, "don't take that Rodney Harrison guy, he's washed up, San Diego cut him outright."  

That's funny... I'm pretty sure we can all project talent in our own way, but not sure any of us can see the future.  We went after Browner, if we didn't land him I could see BB re-signing Wilson and giving him a shot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

35 years old(soon) coming off an Achilles injury. I was looking for terms of the contract but couldn't find any yet.

I certainly wish the guy the best and wished he worked out for us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The concept is the bigger in the box defensive back not if wilson could be used at cb. 

Bb has looking for the rover for years.  Wilson would have been that.  Now it is browner's show with the idea they can keep man coverage in case he needs to bounce outside.

Browner is clearly a better option for this, but he was mot available last year.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not putting words in your mouth at all. You keep thinking of Browneer too much as this rover hybrid position. Brownerr will be used on the outside vs. a WR a lot of the time. The only times I see him moving in on a TE is vs Denver, Detriot, Buffalo and Miami. Besides that I think he's on the outside the rest if the way. 

I think if Wilson was 100% BB would have loved to keep him to play the hybrid spot because browner has always been an outside corner on just one side. Obviously BB believes in Harmon or Ryan as a safety or didnt think Wilson was healthy enough to compete for us. 

Brownerr didn't make Wilson expendable IMO. If anything it would be Collins and Anderson making Wilson expendable. Wilson's health and Collins is why he isn't here 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I never understand how people could make that connection just like I couldn't understand how people assumed Harrison was going to be converted to TE and LaFell was going to play TE as a joker. I think they see size and say well it should be easy for them to play this position, when in reality it's completely different roles. Honestly sometimes people just want to believe so hard that with the right coaching anything is possible without understanding the limitations and experienced required to just up and move positions like that. It's not that simple.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the old...Tebow will fill in for Hernandez and we will not miss a beat, stuff we heard this time last year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Browner is clearly a better option for this, but he was mot available last year.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not putting words in your mouth at all. You keep thinking of Browneer too much as this rover hybrid position. Brownerr will be used on the outside vs. a WR a lot of the time. The only times I see him moving in on a TE is vs Denver, Detriot, Buffalo and Miami. Besides that I think he's on the outside the rest if the way. 

I think if Wilson was 100% BB would have loved to keep him to play the hybrid spot because browner has always been an outside corner on just one side. Obviously BB believes in Harmon or Ryan as a safety or didnt think Wilson was healthy enough to compete for us. 

Brownerr didn't make Wilson expendable IMO. If anything it would be Collins and Anderson making Wilson expendable. Wilson's health and Collins is why he isn't here 

[/QUOTE]

Wilson was GONE way before Browner was even signed so I dont even think it was possible to make him expendable. ?! oh wait, that was Rusty who said it....never mind.

Adrian's s*cking may him expendable. (in my Tcal voice)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Did we really need him? NO

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What we do not know: did the achilles effect Wilson last summer in camp and preseason games?

What we do know: Wilson was horrible while he was here. Very slow and methodical, hesitant to put the big hit when it presented itself. Came to camp looking and moving like we was washed up and made zero progress. Very evident all of July and August

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What we do not know: did the achilles effect Wilson last summer in camp and preseason games?

What we do know: Wilson was horrible while he was here. Very slow and methodical, hesitant to put the big hit when it presented itself. Came to camp looking and moving like we was washed up and made zero progress. Very evident all of July and August

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

It was evident well before in his last month in Ari. Only the faithful blind couldn't see he'd slowed down considerable and didn't look right after losing his spot to Sanders in Ari. Said the like before they signed him so no hindsight on my part.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

If Adrian Wilson is healthy, which is what I said above.  If he comes back from a torn Achilles which is tough but it will have been the first season ending injury of a long career.  

I love the "I told you so" posters regarding Wilson, as if they saw Wilfork's same injury before it happened.  

If he is healthy he was a Pro Bowl/All Pro level strong safety, that position deems you play with your head first, even if he lost a tenth off his forty he would still be infinitely faster than Rodney Harrison ever was.  

I can see some posters now in my mind's eye saying, "don't take that Rodney Harrison guy, he's washed up, San Diego cut him outright."  

That's funny... I'm pretty sure we can all project talent in our own way, but not sure any of us can see the future.  We went after Browner, if we didn't land him I could see BB re-signing Wilson and giving him a shot.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

in all honesty I figured it was only a matter of time big Vince got hurt. He played too much. We needed someone to spell him.  I hope now he plays 2 downs and he can last another 3 years and retire a pat

we look like there can be a reasonable rotation on the D line and these guys will have gas left in the 4 th qtr

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Wilson was GONE way before Browner was even signed so I dont even think it was possible to make him expendable. ?! oh wait, that was Rusty who said it....never mind.

Adrian's s*cking may him expendable. (in my Tcal voice)

[/QUOTE]

That's a lie.  Wilson was released on April 4th.  Browner was signed the 3rd day of FA on March 14th.

Caught, Shizzles.

Like I said, Browner as a big nickel and starting outside CB made the Wilson comeback somewhere else and his release here, a formality.

So, as you can see, I am 2/2 in analysis on this topic of the Rover/Big Nickel concept.  Adrian Wilson was brought in last year for it and had a torn Achilles that was frayed that never truly healed enough for him to be counted on.

And, he was not released by Arizona because he was done. He was released because that's a young team in transition and needed more speed at the position which is why they drafted Mathieu.

Pats Eng, your wittle Welkie buddy, is also an uneducated moron on the topic.

Sections
Shortcuts