Adrian Wilson Unsure About Future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Adrian Wilson Unsure About Future

Adrian Wilson was this year's Jake Ballard--another resident in Bob Kraft's charitable home for the NFL's aged and infirm. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Adrian Wilson was this year's Jake Ballard--another resident in Bob Kraft's charitable home for the NFL's aged and infirm. 

Ballard was a no risk player with no real guarantee, pretty good signing and cost essentially nothing to keep around. A. Wilson however, cost $1.8mil which could have been the difference in signing Welker over Amendola or offering that little extra for Sanders. Not to mention it looked like they were counting on him to play SS so it prevented them from going out and getting another SS. Just think of the resources spent the last 3 years to find a SS. Gregory, A. Wilson, T. Wilson (mid 2nd), Harmon (late 3rd) and yet we are no better off then when we had Merriweather. Makes you wonder, considering we could of had Goldson but low balled him an offer. Would we have those resources back if they didn't lowball Goldson from the beginning?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Whatever future lies ahead for Wilson, it doesn't involve playing football. Ditto Tavon Wilson as well. The signing of Adrian Wilson was a huge BB offseason mistake, that really hurt the team.

Want to know the real reason why the Pats lost to Denver in the AFC Title game? Compare and contrast the offseasons that these two teams had. 

Tavon Wilson will stick around i think. he's a good special teamer.
    also heard he's a great locker room guy.

think: slater

but agree the misses on Armstead & Wilson hurt but the injuries were the biggest factor. if we had mayo and gronk for the denver game i think its a different story

It wasn't just Wilson and Armstead. It was signing Amendola, losing Danny Woodhead, and letting Wes Welker go to your biggest threat in the AFC. Just a terrible offseason performance by BB the GM. Compare and contrast what BB did to what Elway did in Denver. It's the main reason why the Patriots were beaten by the Broncos. Denver had some serious injuries too (Ryan Clady, Von "Roids" Miller). 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

It wasn't just Wilson and Armstead. It was signing Amendola, losing Danny Woodhead, and letting Wes Welker go to your biggest threat in the AFC. Just a terrible offseason performance by BB the GM. Compare and contrast what BB did to what Elway did in Denver. It's the main reason why the Patriots were beaten by the Broncos. Denver had some serious injuries too (Ryan Clady, Von "Roids" Miller). 

Losing Clady and Miller, as good as they are, doesn't compare to Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer and Gronk, not to mention Kelly, Armstead, Wilson and Spikes, and whoever I'm forgetting. What did Elway do besides signing Welker and letting Dumervil leave? All the key pieces were in place.

It's fair game to criticize all the moves you mention, except the Armstead signing if you ask me. The guy was sought after by several teams and the signing was for peanuts ($400K against the cap, $500K this year if he makes it back). He got MRSA, there's no way to fault anybody for that.

Even Wilson at $1.3 mil was no big deal. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

In response to MileHighMike's comment:

Whatever future lies ahead for Wilson, it doesn't involve playing football. Ditto Tavon Wilson as well. The signing of Adrian Wilson was a huge BB offseason mistake, that really hurt the team.

Want to know the real reason why the Pats lost to Denver in the AFC Title game? Compare and contrast the offseasons that these two teams had. 

Yes, he shoud have signed Ed Reed instead. lol

Ed was less money and he actually played. So, yeah. But i hear thst BB "sniffed out Reed's ego" bwahahaha!

Snow day today, queenie?

Ed Reed at 6 million was less money? LOL!

That makes no sense. Reed jumped at the highest bidder and was old, Bustchise.

At least Wilson torn an Achilles.   Reed just sucked and was done at 6 million.

Not for the Jets he wasn't.  Bill blew it. That secondary that got torched by Tannehills career day, by Cleveland's third stringer and by Manning could have used a vet like him to so McCOurty from getting burned over and over, when he was not getting dragged by RBs past the first down markers.

wait a minute Mile High...Rusty has said several times here that McCourty is better than Revis

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

funny that you predicted this about Laron Landry when the Jets signed him on the cheap.  Add that to the prediction about salary cap hell and Peyton choking in the playoffs and you are right!  Your predictions always come true, just that you have the teams and players mixed up a little bit.  If there is such a thing as karma, it is probably good that you spend all your time indoors.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Losing Clady and Miller, as good as they are, doesn't compare to Wilfork, Mayo, Vollmer and Gronk, not to mention Kelly, Armstead, Wilson and Spikes, and whoever I'm forgetting. What did Elway do besides signing Welker and letting Dumervil leave? All the key pieces were in place.

It's fair game to criticize all the moves you mention, except the Armstead signing if you ask me. The guy was sought after by several teams and the signing was for peanuts ($400K against the cap, $500K this year if he makes it back). He got MRSA, there's no way to fault anybody for that.

I'd say losing Clady and Miller were pretty big deals - Clady is the best left tackle in football and he was protecting a guy who is coming off neck surgery, on a team that throws to win...that's a big problem, in fact I started a thread about it back in September because I thought it would really really hurt Denver. It didn't.

Losing Miller is a big deal too because they already lost Dumervill. Say what you want about Miller, but he can rush like few can, that is improtant.

They also lost a guy who I think is a very good defensive lineman (Derick Wolfe), yet they never missed a beat as they punched our running game in the face. They played without several of their star players throughout the season to various injuries as well (Welker, Thomas, Moreno and more), yet never missed a beat.

And I don't think us wasting money year after year on these little "low risk" players is helping things - I literally could list 50 "low risk" players that did nothing here except crap their pants for us. Then we had to go out and find other marginal players - at low dollars - to take their place. What happened with them? Some/most were cut within days and weeks of being signed...others were coached up to the point they looked servicable...virtually none of them did anything against Denver in the biggest game of the year...the same against Baltimoire last year.

You can't really expect things to end any differently, those guys were fill ins and nothing more who most likely will be in the final round of cuts come August (see Justin Francis)...remember him? Everyone around here was putting him into the hall of fame because he had 3 sacks, now he's out of football. Trust me we'll be seeing the same from either Vellano, Jones and Siligia.

I know this opinion makes some people made around here, but it's true. I know some people will claim I'm a troll for saying all of this, but I don't care...it's all true...has been for too long now. We won't be going for it again this year, in fact we won't be going for it again until Brady retires and Patriot Place becomes a ghost town...it's a business...Kraft made that abundantly clear yesterday in an interview with ESPN.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'd say losing Clady and Miller were pretty big deals - Clady is the best left tackle in football and he was protecting a guy who is coming off neck surgery, on a team that throws to win...that's a big problem, in fact I started a thread about it back in September because I thought it would really really hurt Denver. It didn't.

Losing Miller is a big deal too because they already lost Dumervill. Say what you want about Miller, but he can rush like few can, that is improtant.

They also lost a guy who I think is a very good defensive lineman (Derick Wolfe), yet they never missed a beat as they punched our running game in the face. They played without several of their star players throughout the season to various injuries as well (Welker, Thomas, Moreno and more), yet never missed a beat.

And I don't think us wasting money year after year on these little "low risk" players is helping things - I literally could list 50 "low risk" players that did nothing here except crap their pants for us. Then we had to go out and find other marginal players - at low dollars - to take their place. What happened with them? Some/most were cut within days and weeks of being signed...others were coached up to the point they looked servicable...virtually none of them did anything against Denver in the biggest game of the year...the same against Baltimoire last year.

You can't really expect things to end any differently, those guys were fill ins and nothing more who most likely will be in the final round of cuts come August (see Justin Francis)...remember him? Everyone around here was putting him into the hall of fame because he had 3 sacks, now he's out of football. Trust me we'll be seeing the same from either Vellano, Jones and Siligia.

I know this opinion makes some people made around here, but it's true. I know some people will claim I'm a troll for saying all of this, but I don't care...it's all true...has been for too long now. We won't be going for it again this year, in fact we won't be going for it again until Brady retires and Patriot Place becomes a ghost town...it's a business...Kraft made that abundantly clear yesterday in an interview with ESPN.

Essentially this. There will be another AFC Championship loss coming next year...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Never said Clady and Miller weren't good players.  But the Pats lost what, six core guys to IR, seven if you want to add Hern? They also had guys miss time here and there that I didn't name (Vereen, Talib, Dennard, Solder, Amendola, KT, Dobson, Boyce come to mind). Give me the top four back and the Denver game might go the other way.

And I don't think us wasting money year after year on these little "low risk" players is helping things - I literally could list 50 "low risk" players that did nothing here except crap their pants for us. ....

Every team does that, it's not unique to the New England Patriots. The roster is at what 85, 90 at the start of camp? Every single team has 30-plus guys they bring in that have absolutely no chance. They all get a contract. Would you prefer they bring in just 55 or 60, just so they would have a shorter cut list?

I want someone to explain "going for it." What does that mean, exactly? How did Baltimore "go for it" last year, and Denver this year, and the NYG in 2011? What did they do that they apparently didn't do the year before. So, this year Baltimore didn't go for it? Or did they? Did any other team go for it this year, that didn't make it.

There's a salary cap. You allocate player salaries so that you have a few top tier contracts (Brady, Mankins, VW, Mayo, Gronk, guys like that), then a mid-level tier (guys like Connolly, Kelly, etc.), then your rookie contracts and min salary guys.

Every team has an allocation, every decent team has a few big contracts. If you have too many of them (see Cowboys, Dallas), your mid-tier gets shorted and you have a much bigger share of guys on the lowest tiers, because that's what you can afford.

Has Dallas been going for it all these years? personally, I think they're just mismanaged. But be that as it may, what should the Pats do to go for it this year?

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Yes, Denver which has $6.6 mil in presently available cap space is "going for it," while New England with $4.0 mil is not? Is that correct, because I'm a little slow?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

What exactly did denver do in the off season besides massage peyton mannings neck? I mean, 2 years ago they had a great off season, it was called being lucky enough to have a HOF Qb decide to join their team....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

And I was thinking this thread would be a discussion about Adrian Wilson.  By this time I should know better.

A. Wilson, IMO, was only a bad signing if BB knew in advance that the guy would get hurt.  Anyone on here know in advance that Wilson would tear up an achilles? 

100% Absolute truth. Great post. If the guy was healthy, he was a perfect fit in our system as a punishing physical presence, with superior knowledge and at only a mill and a half. Split time as a situational in the box safety.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

And I was thinking this thread would be a discussion about Adrian Wilson.  By this time I should know better.

A. Wilson, IMO, was only a bad signing if BB knew in advance that the guy would get hurt.  Anyone on here know in advance that Wilson would tear up an achilles? 

100% Absolute truth. Great post. If the guy was healthy, he was a perfect fit in our system as a punishing physical presence, with superior knowledge and at only a mill and a half. Split time as a situational in the box safety.

Well, Mt Hurl likes to mock you (and me) because apparently he had no idea who Adrian Wilson was prior to 2013. LMAO

He was a perfect fit and would have been a huge help when Spikes was pulled off on 3rds.

Bawahaha! I didn't know who Adrian Wilson was? That's pretty funny. On a serious note, lets keep in mind you are the guy who didn't realize Curtis Martin caught passes and was a receiving option...you said that. Now saying that kind of proves how utterly clueless you are. Curtis Martin is 13th all time in receptions for a running back - I'm including fullbacks in there as well - if not he would be somewhere around 8th..not too shabby considering there has been roughly 10000 running backs to play in the NFL over its history.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yes, Denver which has $6.6 mil in presently available cap space is "going for it," while New England with $4.0 mil is not? Is that correct, because I'm a little slow?

It's simple muzz - and you can go google this after - we have similar cap space available because we have an abundance of dead money (which brings us closer to the cap limit). Now actual money spent (compared to Denver) is roughly ten million less, and that's just compared to Denver. Now where do we rank in actual money spent? Fourteenth. Thirteen spent more actual money. See when we sign hot garbage and then cut them a year later - or sometimes sooner - we don't actual spend that money (those contracts), but the contract "value" stays on our cap in some capacity...bringing our cap number up...way up. Now don't worry (if you're Kraft), he'll never have to spend a penny towards those numbers because those players were cut. Take a guy like Lloyd for example - he counts against our cap - but he is no longer here and Kraft no longer actually has to pay him. Lloyd's a good example - in fact many around here praised him because he was one of the few free agents we signed over the last five years that didn't literally go out there and crap himself...he actually may of helped us this year, but he is gone, because in terms of money being actually spent it was deemed he wasn't worth it. 

I would have to go and google my brains out to find all the names of all the players that aren't here anymore that still count against our salary cap, and that's a problem. See when you throw just available cap space numbers out there it doesn't show the whole story, it doesn't tell you about the guys we could of signed, but didn't because at the time they were just too much money. When in fact they could of helped, probably still might be here (still helping), but the actual money out of pocket would have to be paid for. Right now the actual out of pocket money we spend is close to 40 million less than the top team, now some of the teams spending more are not as good as us, but many are...in fact both Super Bowl teams spent more than us.

I hope this helps muzz, but I doubt it will. In the end you'll just call me spoiled for wanting to "go for it" once before Brady is gone.

I'll add a little more muzz - only because you asked how we could go for it - we could "go for it" by spending actual out of pocket dollars to better players, but that costs money that apparently is not in our fiscally responsible budget. Kraft said yesterday he could go for it every year if he wanted to, but it wouldn't guarantee anything and he's right, but it sure would increase our odds. Now that would cost money, quite a bit more money than the Patriots have budgeted to actually spend every year and you couldn't do it every year, but you sure the hell could it once in a while. They literally could go out there when free agency starts and be the biggest players in it, they could structure contracts, they could do what they want, but they won't. They will use the excuse they want to be competitive every year and spending big might ruin that down the road, when in actuality Brady will be gone by then and we most likely will be rebuilding and asked to be patient at that point. It's about money, it's about business, it's not about going for it anymore, for some reason those days are gone around here.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

"Google"

lol

What a moron. What you don't get is that for every player that plays here and the leaves on a very cheap contract, with some dead money carry over, BB has an answer. This year, it was two rookies and Julian Edelman, all but taking up maybe 3 million total on the books in 2013.

So, again, you're not getting the fact that other NFL teams carry dead money.

Every single NFL team carries dead money. It's as sure as water being wet or you being dumb.

The only reason why you over-dramatize and over-sell this angle is to deflect from Brady's crappy postseasons, so just forget it.

We carried dead money in 2007. NE went undefeated and then Brady started crapping his panties in January and then into February in the SB. He did it again in 2011, 2012 and now this year.

So, it doesn't really matter how much dead money is on the books when you come steamrolling into the postseason and your HOF QB can't play a good game. It just doesn't matter.

Muzwell is 1000x more intelligent than you are. Truth and fact.

It's beyond pee your pants funny to watch you impose this faux intelligence over people who are clearly dozens steps ahead of you on this. Dozens.

Every team carries dead money. BB budgets for it as a built in contigency, similarly to how he sometimes tries to double down on draft picks when he can. The world is an imperfect place, as is signing FAs, drafting players or not knowing if your TE might morph into White Bulger or your HOF QB has the trots on the Wed before the AFC Title game and goes home to sit on the throne all day.

Got it? Good.

The question was why we had 4 million in cap space opposed to Denver's 6.6, I think I answered that pretty well. Denver spent more, they added better players. We didn't spend as much and the players we brought in because they were cheaper, didn't work out, therefore we had to go out and sign more guys who won't be here next year either. It's kind of like a viscous little cycle. Thirteen teams spent more actual money than us, that's good with you, right? Yet our actual ticket prices are the highest in the NFL...it's good business, it sure is. See Kraft is smart, he knows what he is doing even if you don't. You sure you worked in business? Because if you did you'd realize it's no longer about winning around here - it was once, but those days are long gone...now I know you'll say you're just fine with that and it's all Brady's fault anyway, but I expect more than that.

Yesterday Kraft said he could go for it every year if he wanted to, no one is asking for that, but once in a while would be nice.

You love Brandon Lloyd - even compared his numbers to Jerry Rice (lol) - well why wasn't Lloyd here this year? Because he was too expensive! Do you think Lloyd could of helped this team? Honest question, do you? Because you've praised the guy for over a year. Now what would Lloyd of cost this team this year? We could of afforded him. And don't say we released him because he was a head case, it was reported we reached out to him after we cut him to come back at a lower number. It's always about the budget around here. Always. Patriot Place is expensive, have you seen that place? No you haven't. There is vacancy signs on the windows  - Monday through Saturdays is a ghost town there - that place is a big reason why we are so concerned with budgets now.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts