Adrian Wilson's signing #'s

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Adrian Wilson's signing #'s

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

This contract should tell you that he's viewed as a piece not as a starter, which imo would be the best way to use him. Limited reps through the season as an in box defender so that he's fresh for the postseason where he can make the real impact

Why do you assume that? Because you already had a negative opinion of him. I was busting your balls last week but now im serious. Stop being a debby downer. I told everyone that SS was a need and BB agreed. Stop nitpicking. YOu want him to be a failure here?? Cuz you sure act like it. Its one thing to state your case and move on but you dont have to bash the move every chance you get. Last year it was Landry and you were made to look ignorant on that, dont make it 2. You said he would last 4 games. He went on to play a solid 16(something CHung couldnt do) and got himself paid to the tune of 4/26 million. There is a difference between losing starting time on a team thats going nowhere and wants to start playing younger guys and a guy just flat out losing time to a team thats going somewhere. Wilson has Value to us because we are contending. AZ is far away so they moved on to youth. Stop being your negative energy here about players just because you dont understand parts of the game. I only say this because last year you stated Landry was too "jacked" to play and he cared more about being a body builder. You were wrong. Im surprised you havent said Adrian is too big!  He is just what we need and I hope he starts every down and has a great impact, you should too.

Yes I obviously want him to be a failure, that's why I'm suggesting to limit his reps to maximize his benefit for the postseason... I see him as a piece to the puzzle to help improve the team. What I'm tired of hearing is that we just picked up one of the top S's for dirt cheap and think he'll be an ever down starter. He won't be. The guy is 34 not 30 anymore. He's closer to what Seau gave when he joined to what Rodney gave. That doesn't mean he won't make an impact but it does mean if you are counting on him to be where he was 3-4 years ago you are soarly going to be disappointed. ~50% of snaps seems about right for Wilson.

BTW I also pulled hard to sign Goldson 2 years ago when he visited and I was dead right on that. So, I was wrong on Landry but right on Goldson and I'd still much rather had Goldson at this point. So don't make it seem like I'm never right when I was wrong in one case. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

BB is bad GM. He should have signed Mario Williams. Look what he's done for Buffalo. It was a no brainer.....It's just so obvious our team is talent deficient. DUH....

I get you sarcasm, and was never an advocate for Mario. But what if the PAts did forget about all the fringe they did sign last year and made winning offers (which would have been well within their budget last year) for Red Bryant and Goldson...imo they still would had $5M carry over, signed all their rookies and been able to dabble in "value signings" like Fells. They could have passed on Gregory, Fanene and Gallery, and instead signed Goldson and Red...

You are correct here.  While I like the get a older vet on the cheap, maybe he can have a Andre Carter or a Mark Anderson type season, it always seems like if they would have just spent the extra money and got a Goldson or a young, talented  player like that they would be better off.  It's the same old story here/ Sign quantity cheap over quality.  Frustrating! 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yes I obviously want him to be a failure, that's why I'm suggesting to limit his reps to maximize his benefit for the postseason... I see him as a piece to the puzzle to help improve the team. What I'm tired of hearing is that we just picked up one of the top S's for dirt cheap and think he'll be an ever down starter. He won't be. The guy is 34 not 30 anymore. He's closer to what Seau gave when he joined to what Rodney gave. That doesn't mean he won't make an impact but it does mean if you are counting on him to be where he was 3-4 years ago you are soarly going to be disappointed. ~50% of snaps seems about right for Wilson.

BTW I also pulled hard to sign Goldson 2 years ago when he visited and I was dead right on that. So, I was wrong on Landry but right on Goldson and I'd still much rather had Goldson at this point. So don't make it seem like I'm never right when I was wrong in one case. 

Good post!

BTW, you weren't wrong on Landry.  He was always in position to make the takle but always out of position to make a play on the ball.  One step behind 99% of the time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Umm, it wasn't frustrating back in 2001, 2003 or 2004!  Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Larry Centers, Ty Poole, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Hahahaha!  This isn't 2001, 2003, or 2004 anymore.  Get up to date dude.  Do you still wear angel floods because they were cool in the 70's?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

This contract should tell you that he's viewed as a piece not as a starter, which imo would be the best way to use him. Limited reps through the season as an in box defender so that he's fresh for the postseason where he can make the real impact

Why do you assume that? Because you already had a negative opinion of him. I was busting your balls last week but now im serious. Stop being a debby downer. I told everyone that SS was a need and BB agreed. Stop nitpicking. YOu want him to be a failure here?? Cuz you sure act like it. Its one thing to state your case and move on but you dont have to bash the move every chance you get. Last year it was Landry and you were made to look ignorant on that, dont make it 2. You said he would last 4 games. He went on to play a solid 16(something CHung couldnt do) and got himself paid to the tune of 4/26 million. There is a difference between losing starting time on a team thats going nowhere and wants to start playing younger guys and a guy just flat out losing time to a team thats going somewhere. Wilson has Value to us because we are contending. AZ is far away so they moved on to youth. Stop being your negative energy here about players just because you dont understand parts of the game. I only say this because last year you stated Landry was too "jacked" to play and he cared more about being a body builder. You were wrong. Im surprised you havent said Adrian is too big!  He is just what we need and I hope he starts every down and has a great impact, you should too.

Your speculation is fair, I just dont see the need to bash him before he plays and if you were going off your own asessment I would respect it more as I believe you know football. What I am saying is why believe a bum coach who just got fired?? We are Pats fans and will likely never know how a lot of things went down here and thats how I feel about Ken. He can say whatever he wants but doesnt mean its true. If he comes here and only plays a small role, fine. I believe even as a 1st ,2nd dwn player he is valuble because most teams pass on 1st down. I ALSO want him to be used sparingly throughout the year because we really need him in the playoffs and its because he is older, not washed up! He may turn out to be washed up, but Im not taking a coach on his way outs opinion, thats all. This team can get 10 wins in the reg.season with 8 defenders on the field as long as Brady plays. We know his value will be postseason so he may be limited but its NOT because James Sanders and R.Johnson were better. If so, why did we RELEASE James Sanders?? Because the bum was making more than we just signed Wilson for. he was the steadying force in our secondary in 2010 but NEVER made any impact plays and was shown the door that offseason with every other safety we had and now 2 years later, you want me to believe Sanders is better than the guy he just replaced and BB Wants the worse of the 2!? That would make no sense so Im gonna assume BB is smart and Ken is a desperate coach looking for work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Umm, it wasn't frustrating back in 2001, 2003 or 2004!  Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Larry Centers, Ty Poole, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Hahahaha!  This isn't 2001, 2003, or 2004 anymore.  Get up to date dude.  Do you still wear angel floods because they were cool in the 70's?

Umm, the cap exists, so yes it's the same operating platform as 2003 or 2004.  Get it?

The question is, will Brady be ready? What ever happened to this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEumzvnU9gY

The cap exists for every team yet it's the ones who are more talented that wins in the big games.  Oh, and guess what... they did it with talent they got under the same cap as the Patriots.  Half these guys won't even make it on the team come the end of the year.  Spend money on guys who are good enough to make it on the team all season.  Is there another team out there who makes roster changes, adds/drops during camp/preseason/season as much as the Patriots do?  I really don't think so.  It's a player merry-go-round with the Pats every season.  Just sing the good talented players instead of the less talented players who don't stick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

The guy needs help.  You didn't see the 49'ers asking Montana to be great every year without having talented players around him.  If I'm TFB I'm pounding my head against the wall.  Give him something to work with here.  To ask him to work miracles year after year is crazy.  No other great QB has been asked to do more with less talent then TFB has had. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Your speculation is fair, I just dont see the need to bash him before he plays and if you were going off your own asessment I would respect it more as I believe you know football. What I am saying is why believe a bum coach who just got fired?? We are Pats fans and will likely never know how a lot of things went down here and thats how I feel about Ken. He can say whatever he wants but doesnt mean its true. If he comes here and only plays a small role, fine. I believe even as a 1st ,2nd dwn player he is valuble because most teams pass on 1st down. I ALSO want him to be used sparingly throughout the year because we really need him in the playoffs and its because he is older, not washed up! He may turn out to be washed up, but Im not taking a coach on his way outs opinion, thats all. This team can get 10 wins in the reg.season with 8 defenders on the field as long as Brady plays. We know his value will be postseason so he may be limited but its NOT because James Sanders and R.Johnson were better. If so, why did we RELEASE James Sanders?? Because the bum was making more than we just signed Wilson for. he was the steadying force in our secondary in 2010 but NEVER made any impact plays and was shown the door that offseason with every other safety we had and now 2 years later, you want me to believe Sanders is better than the guy he just replaced and BB Wants the worse of the 2!? That would make no sense so Im gonna assume BB is smart and Ken is a desperate coach looking for work.

I was going by my own assessment this time. I saw him lose a couple steps by the end of the year. Like any older player he wore down and wasn't performing to the same level week 16 as he was week 4. That's why I'm saying limit his reps so that he can play to his highest level weeks 18-20 instead of weeks 1-10. I don't know how that's knocking the guy. He was one of the best S's in the game and has the intelligence and ability to impact where the team was missing, an in box defender. But, at his age I'm not expecting Rodney here. I'm expecting him to give ~50% of snaps and train T. Wilson, hence why I'm not jumping up and down saying that we just signed one of the top S's in the game. I don't know how saying he's older so you have to limit how often you use him to maximize his affect a knock on him.

The thing is I have not once in any post said it was a bad signing. Actually I have said repeatedly it was a good signing and he should help the team and make an impact situationally as an in the box defender. The one thing I have consistently said was that you need to limit his reps because he's an older player who's lost a step from his prime to maximize his affect, esp deep into the playoffs. Just because I don't see him as a 3 down starter or having a massive impact overall doesn't mean I don't like the signing or that I'm knocking the guy it means I see his age and how he'll most likely be used and the salary shows that. For what he got paid if he was the same player he was 3-4 years ago don't you feel someone, anyone would have given him a salary better then what situational vets usually get paid?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Umm, the cap exists, so yes it's the same operating platform as 2003 or 2004.  Get it?

The cap exists for every team yet it's the ones who are more talented that wins in the big games.  Oh, and guess what... they did it with talent they got under the same cap as the Patriots.  Half these guys won't even make it on the team come the end of the year.  Spend money on guys who are good enough to make it on the team all season.  Is there another team out there who makes roster changes, adds/drops during camp/preseason/season as much as the Patriots do?  I really don't think so.  It's a player merry-go-round with the Pats every season.  Just sing the good talented players instead of the less talented players who don't stick.

Dude, their teams are worse.  One lucky year where it appears a 12-4 team that signed a few trendy FAs, turns into a 7-9 team the next year because of poor cap management.

Look at the Saints. NYGs just missed the playoffs.  They've been teetering as a .500 team for years.  

You over-allocate funds to one or two positions and it weakens other parts of your roster. It's sad  you don't get this concept after it brought you a dynasty, a 16-0 season, two more SB appearances that should have win titles, etc.

You're whining about the best GM who ever did it.  If there was no cap, this team would never lose. Kraft would have just overpaid Welker, kept whoever else, etc, and overspent just to make sure their bases were covered 10x over.

That's the game and no one, flat out NO ONE, does it better than BB.

Yet, you whine about it because you want the media raving about what he does in order for you to feel secure about it.

That's pathetic for an adult to need to have that reassurance.

We haven't won a SB since the 2004 season.  Apparently it isn't working anymore.  And apparently other teams are doing it better.  In the end, the team is losing to more talented teams.  To make it as far as they have is more of a testiment to the quality of a few certain key players then anything else.  The problem is keeping those key players or bringing in other quality key players to replace them. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I was going by my own assessment this time. I saw him lose a couple steps by the end of the year. Like any older player he wore down and wasn't performing to the same level week 16 as he was week 4. That's why I'm saying limit his reps so that he can play to his highest level weeks 18-20 instead of weeks 1-10. I don't know how that's knocking the guy. He was one of the best S's in the game and has the intelligence and ability to impact where the team was missing, an in box defender. But, at his age I'm not expecting Rodney here. I'm expecting him to give ~50% of snaps and train T. Wilson, hence why I'm not jumping up and down saying that we just signed one of the top S's in the game. I don't know how saying he's older so you have to limit how often you use him to maximize his affect a knock on him.

Sorry, I misread your analysis and I thought you were only going by what coach said. If you feel he lost a step, I wont argue that because I only watched a few cardinals game but I just find it hard to believe that Sanders took his reps on 3rd down due to being faster. If anything maybe he did  less freelancing and they wanted Sanders who is always in position as we know  but never makes big plays. BB likes discipline players so he either just made a terrible signing by getting an older, freelance type or maybe Wilson just wasnt giving his all to a staff that didnt appreciate him. This is why I have to wait and see because there are so many thing to factor in, but I think you and I are on the same page as to how he should be used, I just dont buy that he was benched due to Sanders being a better player. Maybe Sanders showed more willingness to LISTEN but I think Wilson respects BB and will play harder here and have something to prove. They havent released gregory so he very well may be a p/t player but a much needed vet none the less, so I'll take him. I still want to draft a prospect too as I dont know how he we hold up in 3 years but he has never had any durability concerns and THOSE were are major problems in last 3 years (Barret, Ihedebo, Chung) all missed time and made our defense worse the last 2 years

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We haven't won a SB since the 2004 season.  Apparently it isn't working anymore.  And apparently other teams are doing it better.  In the end, the team is losing to more talented teams.  To make it as far as they have is more of a testiment to the quality of a few certain key players then anything else.  The problem is keeping those key players or bringing in other quality key players to replace them. 

Who were the big ticket FA's the Ravens added last season.  Who were the big ticket FA's the Giants added in 2011.  Who were the big ticket FA's the Packers added in 2010.  I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Dude, their teams are worse.  One lucky year where it appears a 12-4 team that signed a few trendy FAs, turns into a 7-9 team the next year because of poor cap management.

Look at the Saints. NYGs just missed the playoffs.  They've been teetering as a .500 team for years.  

You over-allocate funds to one or two positions and it weakens other parts of your roster. It's sad  you don't get this concept after it brought you a dynasty, a 16-0 season, two more SB appearances that should have win titles, etc.

You're whining about the best GM who ever did it.  If there was no cap, this team would never lose. Kraft would have just overpaid Welker, kept whoever else, etc, and overspent just to make sure their bases were covered 10x over.

That's the game and no one, flat out NO ONE, does it better than BB.

Yet, you whine about it because you want the media raving about what he does in order for you to feel secure about it.

That's pathetic for an adult to need to have that reassurance.

No. We lost a SB on 2007 with a miracle catch.

We then lost Brady in 2008.

2009, Brady returned, but it was clear it was a transition year. I always wondered why Bruschi wisely retired and Seau didn't. Seau, sadly, just couldn't let go.

BB dealt away vets like Seymour and Vrabel to commit to a load up in the 2010 and 2011 drafts INTO a LOCKOUT.

With me?

Good.

2012 hits, we host an AFC title game and Brady and his binky help put up 13 points and disappear in the 4th qtr again JUST like they did in the SB the year before.

If you wanted BB to spend wildly on defensive players into the lockout, you'd be wrong, and we'de have a weaker team OUT of the lockout. 

What we do have is one of the youngest teams in the NFL, one of the youngest Ds around, and this team will be winning divisions and hosting AFC title games in the next 2-3 years.

To be complaining about this, with cheap, quality FAs banging down BB's door right now is a joke.

The only people who Brady and Welker have to blame as they lay on a beach after losing SBs, is themselves.

Thank you and good day.

Answer me this... Do you think the Patriots could have gone into this season, signed Welker, Talib, Lloyd, adding a deep threat and a talent like Golston at safety and looking like a big SB contender?  I say yes, easily!  And this could have easily been done within the cap, especially looking where they stand now with the cap space.  

Instead they bring in Wilson who at this point of his career isn't going to be an every down player. They bring in a Donald Jones who is unproven and injury prone.  They replace Welker with Amendola, another unproven player who is injury prone.  It's the wrong approach and I fill less optomistic now then had I felt if they just would have done something along the lines as I mentioned.

They change starters like most people change pants.  Why not get a good quality player instead of 2 less talented players?  THere are more players coming and going on this team during trainging camp, preseason and regulare season then any other team.  Why?  Because they are signing less talented players.  Quantity over Quality.  That needs to change sometime soon.

Sections
Shortcuts