AFC Championship... Ravens vs Patriots Game Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsinDC. Show PatsinDC's posts

Re: AFC Championship... Ravens vs Patriots Game Thread

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

In response to Quagmire3's comment:

guys top arguing over this game. We had a great year just a disappointing ending. Goes to show you how spoiled we all are!

So I guess you call spoiled not winning a SB since 2004--9 years spoiled--OK? Brady an elite QB and BB the genius and 0 SB wins in 9 years--we are spoiled?

YESSSSS!!!!!! You DO realize most teams aren't even in a position to think about MAYBE going to the SB or even postseason. Sheesh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsinDC. Show PatsinDC's posts

In response to user_480967's comment:

In response to PatsinDC's comment:

Well, it's one game and anything can happen. The Patriots are, on the whole, a better team. Injuries were their undoing tonight. But don't fear Pats fans- we're still the best team in football and will be until Brady retires. We can't win 'em all, law of averages and all that...

You are in denial. Seek help.

Not really. And keep those brilliant rejoinders coming!

Once the Packers were eliminated there were no teams that could beat the Pats entirely on their own merits. The Patriots had to beat themselves tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsinDC. Show PatsinDC's posts

In response to Yank63's comment:

Well, it's one game and anything can happen. The Patriots are, on the whole, a better team. Injuries were their undoing tonight. But don't fear Pats fans- we're still the best team in football and will be until Brady retires. We can't win 'em all, law of averages and all that...

Best team in football?  what planet are you on!!

I'm on Planet Earth and what we earthlings call "minimally observant." What color is the sky on your world?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepublic. Show joepublic's posts

In response to IntelligentObserver's comment:

In response to bdarg's comment:

In response to buzzer68's comment:

The NFL game has passed by Bill Belichick.  He has yesterday's defensive schemes for today's offenses.  No pass rush to speak of.  Cannot change on the fly or adjust.  The young coaches are taking over (Tomlin, Harbaugh, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Wisenhunt, Kubiak, etc.) and BB is behind the times.  Time to move on, build a new philosophy and a new team from the ground up for the modern era.  This is why Bill Parcells and Mike Ditka had to retire - the game passed them by and they knew it.  Bill Belichick, you should have some honor and do the right thing: retire.  The games get REAL tough at this time of the year and 20 points can get hard to come by - and his preparations don't appear to include anything less than 35 points provided by the offense.  Trench warfare (like tonight's game) are a way of life in January football and if your schemes don't plan for that, time for a new schemer.

You are a complete idiot.  BB made it to the Super Bowl last year an dvisional final this year.  Where were Tomlin, McCarthy, Kubiak and Wisenhunt?  You cannot have everything in the salary cap error and BB is making the decisions he feels will win the most games.  What NFL team has had more success than the Partiots in the last 10 years?

Actually, you should have said the past 15 years because in the past 10 years both the Giants and the Steelers have had as much success as the Pats.

"Actually" slick, in the last 10 years, although all three teams mentioned have 2 SB wins, it's pretty hard to argue the Giants and Steelers have had the same success as the Pats.  IN that time period the facts are:
    Regular season record: Pats = 126-24, Steelers 103-57, and Giants 87-73

Playoff apperances: Pats 9, Steelers 6, Giants 5.

Superbowl appearances: Pats 4, Steelers 3, Giants 2.

No comparison

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsinDC. Show PatsinDC's posts

In response to joepublic's comment:

The NFL game has passed by Bill Belichick.  He has yesterday's defensive schemes for today's offenses.  No pass rush to speak of.  Cannot change on the fly or adjust.  The young coaches are taking over (Tomlin, Harbaugh, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Wisenhunt, Kubiak, etc.) and BB is behind the times.  Time to move on, build a new philosophy and a new team from the ground up for the modern era.  This is why Bill Parcells and Mike Ditka had to retire - the game passed them by and they knew it.  Bill Belichick, you should have some honor and do the right thing: retire.  The games get REAL tough at this time of the year and 20 points can get hard to come by - and his preparations don't appear to include anything less than 35 points provided by the offense.  Trench warfare (like tonight's game) are a way of life in January football and if your schemes don't plan for that, time for a new schemer.

You are a complete idiot.  BB made it to the Super Bowl last year an dvisional final this year.  Where were Tomlin, McCarthy, Kubiak and Wisenhunt?  You cannot have everything in the salary cap error and BB is making the decisions he feels will win the most games.  What NFL team has had more success than the Partiots in the last 10 years?

Actually, you should have said the past 15 years because in the past 10 years both the Giants and the Steelers have had as much success as the Pats.

"Actually" slick, in the last 10 years, although all three teams mentioned have 2 SB wins, it's pretty hard to argue the Giants and Steelers have had the same success as the Pats.  IN that time period the facts are:

No comparison

YEAH, JoePublic! This is when our online presence is needed the most. I don't post after wins [so I rarely post] but I do find it particularly galling when cynical and jealous haters [who would give their left nut to be a Pats fan] show up on here and try and denigrate the most dominant team in American professional sports history.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from IntelligentObserver. Show IntelligentObserver's posts

No comparison

Wow! A little defensive, are we, chief? I was speaking of success in terms of the bottom line which is the Super Bowl. And maybe I was being a little too subtle for you but I was "actually" paying the Pats a compliment. So I'll state it outright for you: In the past 15 years no franchise has had more success in winning championships than New England.

Calm down. I realize that the stellar regular season record doesn't mean jack, particularly when six of the games are against powerhouses like the Jets and the Bills, and they haven't won the big one since the '04 season.

I was just giving you something to hang your hat on as the glory days of New England football recede relentlessly into the past. ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tommyboy-bs. Show Tommyboy-bs's posts

I wish I could have been at Foxboro yesterday to see the silence and the look on those arrogant fans who came in thinking the Patriots were going to blast the Ravens.

Do any of you people (including those commenting on Boston Globe) remember when you said the Ravens got lucky and beat a mediocre quarterback named Manning 8 days ago?

How is that billboard working out now?  I bet Ray Lewis would love for Boston to throw him a party after his team embarrassed the Patriots. 

God I'd love to know how the person in charge of putting that billboard up is dealing with it this morning. Feels nice to know he/she probably feels like a piece of e xcrement now.

I bet sissy boy Tom Brady is flying to his real home in Los Angeles tomorrow so he can take photos for the next Ugg Boot catalog. The man isn't even from New England and is not a New Englander at heart.  He bails the region the first chance he gets to escape to some other part of the world.

The last superbowl the Patriots won was Feb 6, 2005.  Brady's next chance at a ring comes 9 years later, assuming he has a really great season and playoff run.  That is pretty much a decade in time!!!  Sorry but the first three rings were from a different TB and different era.  His priority shifted to that arrogant coathanger of a wife and sipping chardene in Paris with her.  He is a pretty boy now.. not the TB of nearly 10 years ago.  He is also aging so I question whether he will bring New England another ring before his career is over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tommyboy-bs. Show Tommyboy-bs's posts

I wish I could have been at Foxboro yesterday to see the silence and the look on those arrogant fans who came in thinking the Patriots were going to blast the Ravens.

Do any of you people (including those commenting on Boston Globe) remember when you said the Ravens got lucky and beat a mediocre quarterback named Manning 8 days ago?

How is that billboard working out now?  I bet Ray Lewis would love for Boston to throw him a party after his team embarrassed the Patriots. 

God I'd love to know how the person in charge of putting that billboard up is dealing with it this morning. Feels nice to know he/she probably feels like a piece of e xcrement now.

I bet sissy boy Tom Brady is flying to his real home in Los Angeles tomorrow so he can take photos for the next Ugg Boot catalog. The man isn't even from New England and is not a New Englander at heart.  He bails the region the first chance he gets to escape to some other part of the world.

The last superbowl the Patriots won was Feb 6, 2005.  Brady's next chance at a ring comes 9 years later, assuming he has a really great season and playoff run.  That is pretty much a decade in time!!!  Sorry but the first three rings were from a different TB and different era.  His priority shifted to that arrogant coathanger of a wife and sipping chardene in Paris with her.  He is a pretty boy now.. not the TB of nearly 10 years ago.  He is also aging so I question whether he will bring New England another ring before his career is over.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cryochiller. Show cryochiller's posts

the Ravens came in here and punched the Patriots in the mouth!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsinDC. Show PatsinDC's posts

In response to Tommyboy-bs' comment:

Whoa, you can't say that! We Pats posters have been on here all night and morning defending the Patriots and making a convincing case that the better team lost. Brady cornholed Lewis and Suggs up and down the field all night- clowning these self-described "tough guys" by a Cali "pretty boy" :-)

That shows great character and a command of the facts by Pats supporters. Typically, fans disappear when their team loses and the opposite is the case here! You have to respect that- the NFL is a lesser institution when the marquee, model franchise like New England somehow finds a way to lose.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.

W. Churchill

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepublic. Show joepublic's posts

Yes indeed.....the Pats lost to the better team yesterday.  Kudos to the Ravens.  Although I could not be a big fan of any team with a headhunter (Pollard), a classless loud mouth (Suggs), and a convicted thug self promoter (Lewis)...(funny how time and TV ratings can remake a guy who really SHOULD be crying into a pillow in his prison cell).....but hats off to the Ravens.  Yesterday they were the better team. 

All these NE haters talk about how New England's run is over, etc...it's kinda funny.  So the Ravens will get clobbered in the Super Bowl this year, then they will lose Lewis, likely Ed Reed, and numerous others, and guaranteed will be an average team next year, yet NE will still have all the tools in place that got them into the playoffs for NINE of the last TEN years....and no signs of letting up.  YES, teams have a year here or there where they put it all together and find their way to the Super Bowl.....but few teams in HISTORY have ever done what the Pats have....including the Ravens.  Hate all you want.....yes....Belichick is a pain in the rump and doesn't roll over for the press.....yes Brady spends too much time with the fashion shoots and GQ stuff....yes, the Pats are a PERENNIAL playoff team that the country is sick of seeing.  My advice to you....get over it.....it's nowhere near over.  Because even after we lose Belicick and Brady, we will have the Krafts who know what it takes to win!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notadem. Show notadem's posts

If we were the best team in the NFL, we would be heading to New Orleans to prove it.  It has nothing to do with the law of averages.  Baltimore was the better team.  They beat us twice this year, thus they will be heading to New Orleans.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from morbius. Show morbius's posts

Reminded me of that character on the old Laugh-In, the one who rode the tricycle, and bumped into things, and then fell over, the way Brady ran into that ref and fell right over. Laugh-In should be the name for that game yesterday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsinDC. Show PatsinDC's posts

In response to notadem's comment:

If we were the best team in the NFL, we would be heading to New Orleans to prove it.  It has nothing to do with the law of averages.  Baltimore was the better team.  They beat us twice this year, thus they will be heading to New Orleans.

We all seem to forgetting that the Patriots OWN the Ravens and the Ravens had never beaten us prior to 2009. The past isn't dead, it's all around us. That kind of dominance cannot be wiped away because the Ravens have finally gotten off the schnide versus us. Flacco is still the guy we thought he was- chuck and duck, "you run down the field and, regardless of whether or not you're covered, I'll throw the ball high and then you jump up and get it. If you don't catch it, no matter, we'll get a PI call."

That approach, and the refs missed call on that game winning FG the Ravens had, are the ways they beat us. The only team IN THE NFL that has it over on us is The Giants. Everyone else is deservedly scorned by the Pats' fanbase.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyd99. Show joeyd99's posts

Terrible ending with Lots of questions.  We're so spoiled by our success but how would you like to be a Jets, Browns, Cheifs or Raiders fan.  Now talk about feeling bad.  The last two years we have not had all our weapons on the field when we NEEDED them the most.  One of my big concerns is the lack of true toughness and heart this team seems to be missing.  No one is scared to come into Foxboro anymore.  There's no Rodney Harrison running around out there and no true shut down corner either.  How do you get that back I don't know but they better find it.  The way they played last night, anyone could have beaten them and thats a real shame.  I felt bad for Ridley, biggest head shot of the night goes without a flag.  After Wes dropped that third down pass, in the third quarter they never recovered, it looked like they were excepting there fate that they couldn'd do it.  Brady is one of the greatest but this team another leader besides him.  We are running out of time with Brady and serious championship runs so lets hope we can make some strong smart moves in the off season.  Because if they don't, last nights effort will start to become the norm around here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rterrell3844. Show rterrell3844's posts

I believe it was a good year but I feel something is missing. We seem to have great regular seasons and once we get to the big test, we can't pass it now.

The last time we won the big game was when Romeo and Charlie were on the staff. Defence and offense were unstopable. Could it be their input is missed? I think so.

It's true we go far during the regular season but we know getting into the second season (the playoffs) and wining then is what it's all about.

I think the defense should be upgraded as well as the play calling on offense. We hear how we have so many weapons on offense but they are not getting open or not executing plays in the big game.

It's time to get a big fast receiver to open up the field for the short stuff.

Just remember, even when we won the superbowl, our offense was not great but the defense was. We never blew anyone out or scored a ton of points in the big game.

Still, I will be right there next year cheering them on and hoping for a big play receiver, shut down corner and a hell-of-a pass rusher (late Christmas list to Santa!!!!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from throwthemout. Show throwthemout's posts

John Madden will tell you that Smash Mouth Football is back! Seattle, San Fran, Ravens, and when all hands are healthy the Pats. When these teams collide they lose parts and the last ones standing win. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrunoWoohoo. Show BrunoWoohoo's posts

The Ravens wanted it more and they deserved the victory. End of story...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from terminator-x. Show terminator-x's posts

We've had this discussion for the past eight years. No timely pass rush and a lack of talent in the defensive backfield. Without Gronk, they lack a physical presence among their pass catchers. The truth is that it is difficult to get to the Superbowl, and even more difficult to win it. Due to the structure of the draft, free agency, and the salary cap, the NFL is designed so that good teams don't stay consistently good for a decade.

The Pats fans have been blessed with contending teams since 2001, despite the system's design to create parity. The Pats have had one Top 10 pick since they won their first Super Bowl (Mayo was #10 pick), yet they still put enough talent on the field to win at least 10 games per year. But the fact remains that it's much easier to find gamebreaking players when picking among the Top 10 players than picking ever year at #25 or higher. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepublic. Show joepublic's posts

In response to BrunoWoohoo's comment:

The Ravens wanted it more and they deserved the victory. End of story...

Oh ok.....end of story...lets not discuss it anymore. ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigguy45. Show bigguy45's posts

I hate to say this but we have become the Colts of the Manning years.  All offense, a bit soft on defense and Brady is becoming a bit Favre like the past couple of years.  Take a shot in free agency on some bruising safeties and get Wilfork some help up front!  Just a thought here Ed Reed is a free agent after the SB and BB is a huge Ed Reed fan!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ecapsmolly. Show ecapsmolly's posts

I just saw film of the catch by Ridley.  There was a hit to the helmet NOT CALLED.  That should have been a 15 yard penalty, first down and Patriots ball, yet they score to put the game away.

PATS GET SHORT END OF STICK AGAIN

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dago64. Show dago64's posts

Guys, many of you are over analyzing why the Pats keep losing big playoff games.

The only period in history when the Pats were "great" was when they used to spy on other teams illegally. The Spygate(cheating) issue has been one of the biggest factors in the Patriots' success in the past. Without Spygate,  chances to win another big game are very slim.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

No comparison

YEAH, JoePublic! This is when our online presence is needed the most. I don't post after wins [so I rarely post] but I do find it particularly galling when cynical and jealous haters [who would give their left nut to be a Pats fan] show up on here and try and denigrate the most dominant team in American professional sports history.

They're not even the most dominant team in Boston professional sports history. What would Bill Russell think of this?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

.....Once the Packers were eliminated there were no teams that could beat the Pats entirely on their own merits. The Patriots had to beat themselves tonight.

Really? That's the same excuse made by teams that the Pats beat in the SB. BS. I am glad you are not their spokesperson. LAME.

Sections
Shortcuts