AFC Defensive Player of the month

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

AFC Defensive Player of the month

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/27/chandler-jones-wins-afc-defensive-player-of-the-month-honors/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: AFC Defensive Player of the month

He's had a great month hope he keeps it up. We'll need him. Imagine if they had some starting caliber DT's inside to give him some help. He's going to be a force if they get an extra DT and Wilfork comes back healthy next year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

He's a bust.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

He's a bust. 

Who could possibly contend that he isn't?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He was great against Denver, for real. 

I thought he was a mixed bag against Carolina. Sacks are great, but against a Qb like Newton, you need to focus on contain, and he blew his contain (as did a few others) a bunch of times.

In the end, though, four sacks in some pretty big games is worth that honor.

He is playing at such a high level right now. Stop and think ... he could finish with 16 sacks ... who was the last Patriot to do that?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

He's a bust.

Yep and T. Wilson is an all-pro..... seriously True I don't think I've heard a single person say Jones is a bust so no need to go the extremes here 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

I have enjoyed watching him play this year. I noticed some people knocking him for his IN ability to set the edge but he DOES play some pretty good run defense. I havent noticed a great many of runs going his way but its the WAY he defends which probably isnt fundamentally right here. He likes to duck inside the tackle and blow up the play in the backfield which is great when it works but when a guy bounces out, you better hope the CB has good force on the WR or its a TD. I think because he is so important, you still see him out there but Buchanan for instance cant see the field because he loses contain all the time. All in all he is a great run defender by my estimation for a DE but just doesnt play it the way we like and maybe thats due to lack of strenght but im happy with his play in year 2. Hightower not so much. Not gonna debate about that anymore. I heard three diff. authors mention it this week alone about his poor play. Others can wish its not the case. Time to move him to D line and Cut Bequette loose.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Sweet, I need to pay more attention to him in games.  Didn't realize he was so dominant.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I have enjoyed watching him play this year. I noticed some people knocking him for his IN ability to set the edge but he DOES play some pretty good run defense. I havent noticed a great many of runs going his way but its the WAY he defends which probably isnt fundamentally right here. He likes to duck inside the tackle and blow up the play in the backfield which is great when it works but when a guy bounces out, you better hope the CB has good force on the WR or its a TD. I think because he is so important, you still see him out there but Buchanan for instance cant see the field because he loses contain all the time. All in all he is a great run defender by my estimation for a DE but just doesnt play it the way we like and maybe thats due to lack of strenght but im happy with his play in year 2. Hightower not so much. Not gonna debate about that anymore. I heard three diff. authors mention it this week alone about his poor play. Others can wish its not the case. Time to move him to D line and Cut Bequette loose.

I'm not talking about setting an edge, he does that much better. I'm talking about gap discipline, which is what contain really means. Setting an edge and contain are different.

Against read-option offenses, even if you ahve the opportunity ... you can't head upfield, you can't com inside. It seems like a straight line to the QB, but it gives a mobile QB a point of egress. The tactic is for every front defender to man their ga and push the pocket back without giving the QB a point of retreat. 

It was a discipline issue, not a strength or skill issue. And Nink did it once, Jones and Vellano did it too a few times. On a couple of the big scrambles, he came inside his blocker. Against a normal QB it was likely a sack .... Newton got away and had clear field outside and up the seam to run. 

The object is to force him to take a sack or throw into a zone he's not comfortable with.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I'm not talking about setting an edge, he does that much better. I'm talking about gap discipline, which is what contain really means. Setting an edge and contain are different.

Against read-option offenses, even if you ahve the opportunity ... you can't head upfield, you can't com inside. It seems like a straight line to the QB, but it gives a mobile QB a point of egress. The tactic is for every front defender to man their ga and push the pocket back without giving the QB a point of retreat. 

It was a discipline issue, not a strength or skill issue. And Nink did it once, Jones and Vellano did it too a few times. On a couple of the big scrambles, he came inside his blocker. Against a normal QB it was likely a sack .... Newton got away and had clear field outside and up the seam to run. 

The object is to force him to take a sack or throw into a zone he's not comfortable with.

Totally get what you are saying. I noticed Nink started doing it too. I think I was more or less talking about how he defends the run but Yes he is mostly in position with containment of Qbs or he wouldnt be on the field ala Buchanan. Thats the 1st thing I noticed. He (buchanan)got in played well and the next week he went upfield and the QB broke contain. He hasnt been on the field since. CJ has made the mistake a few times but is too valuble to benched, thats the main difference but I was just pointing out that he ducks under to make tackes on the RB alot which is more than I can I say for other lineman. He is the only guy outside of Spikes I see constistently making plays at or behind the  LOS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

he made me cheeseburgers when he worked at mcdonalds.  Did he ever get employee of the month?  i wonder

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Nice. After a promising rookie year stymied a bit by injury he has made his mark. If only that other 1st rounder Hightower didn't suck, it would have been an awesome one two punch from that draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Nice. After a promising rookie year stymied a bit by injury he has made his mark. If only that other 1st rounder Hightower didn't suck, it would have been an awesome one two punch from that draft.

Too bad Hightower weighs 270 and can't run worth a sh1t, has no football instincts and constantly decides to run behind our DT's leaving his hole assignment wide open. 

Kid needs to lose 10-15 pounds to gain speed and needs to study the game more

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

He's a bust. 

Yep and T. Wilson is an all-pro..... seriously True I don't think I've heard a single person say Jones is a bust so no need to go the extremes here 

Oh, I dunno, PatsEng; folks on this board are awfully quick to drop the 'bust', 'flop' or 'he's garbage' label on players.  Nothing wrong, IMO, with a good natured jab once in awhile.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Totally get what you are saying. I noticed Nink started doing it too. I think I was more or less talking about how he defends the run but Yes he is mostly in position with containment of Qbs or he wouldnt be on the field ala Buchanan. Thats the 1st thing I noticed. He (buchanan)got in played well and the next week he went upfield and the QB broke contain. He hasnt been on the field since. CJ has made the mistake a few times but is too valuble to benched, thats the main difference but I was just pointing out that he ducks under to make tackes on the RB alot which is more than I can I say for other lineman. He is the only guy outside of Spikes I see constistently making plays at or behind the  LOS.

Well, I ge the instinct. You have to beat back the tendency to do one thing you've been doing all along for just one gameplan. 

That said, BB's coached them better, with lesser OLBs, for other running Qb's. He absolutely stymied Vick that one time. The players were so prepared and just sat on their gaps. Vick didn't have anywhere to run to.

Jones is still young. He is dominant as a pass rusher at times, and I think his bulk has aided him in becoming a better edge setter .. though Nink still struggles there at times. 

Spikes? He gets wailed on here ... but he grades out as the second best LBer in football at making consistent plays ... only behind Patrick Willis. He's not the best cover man ... thogh he is not the total liabilty people label him as either. He is such a  davastating tackler against the run and in the open field though. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

in a different defensve scheme Jones is on par with Ware and Miller

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Oh, I dunno, PatsEng; folks on this board are awfully quick to drop the 'bust', 'flop' or 'he's garbage' label on players.  Nothing wrong, IMO, with a good natured jab once in awhile.

I agree ATJ, esp with a controvesal player like McCourty or Nink or Hightower but I don't think anyone has ever called Jones a bust and True (who use to come in and actually have discussions) now seems to come in and post these one line sarcastic jabs in every positive post about a player for no other reason but to dig into anyone who questions anything about the Pats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I take a dig because as was alluded to above, Nink, DMC, Hightower,  Spikes, Even Mayo are slammed on this board, and not by trolls but regulars. Actually I won't waste my time looking for who said what, but I distinctly remember somebody quesyioning Jones's impact on the season a few weeks ago. 

Actually Talib is probably the only player that hasn't been the target of nonsense on this board.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

He's a bust.

You're a bust as a poster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

He's a bust. 

Yes, but its no worse than the folks who say "Give Ras I a chance to get healthy" for 3 consecutive seasons and then once he's finally cut they still lash out at other posters that say he was a poor pick.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I agree ATJ, esp with a controvesal player like McCourty or Nink or Hightower but I don't think anyone has ever called Jones a bust and True (who use to come in and actually have discussions) now seems to come in and post these one line sarcastic jabs in every positive post about a player for no other reason but to dig into anyone who questions anything about the Pats.

Won't get in the middle of a disagreement between you and True but I will offer that I seem to recall True making a positive and lengthy contribution in the Hightower thread that appeared shortly after the Carolina game.  

That said, not my place to defend or speak for anyone else on the board.  Just offering what I recall seeing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Won't get in the middle of a disagreement between you and True but I will offer that I seem to recall True making a positive and lengthy contribution in the Hightower thread that appeared shortly after the Carolina game.  

That said, not my place to defend or speak for anyone else on the board.  Just offering what I recall seeing.

Eng and i agree on most topics, I am just against the recent popular view point that BB has failed us in some way shape or form. I get as mad as the next guy when we pass on popular players, but as Ty Law was just saying with Troy Brown, the Pats put a cap on what they feel you are worth and they will not go over it. Hard to argue with the results.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Eng and i agree on most topics, I am just against the recent popular view point that BB has failed us in some way shape or form. I get as mad as the next guy when we pass on popular players, but as Ty Law was just saying with Troy Brown, the Pats put a cap on what they feel you are worth and they will not go over it. Hard to argue with the results.

For the most part I agree we do tend to agree on BB the coach and general game plan but differ on some players and signings in particular. At least we keep it civil which I have great respect for you for

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

For the most part I agree we do tend to agree on BB the coach and general game plan but differ on some players and signings in particular. At least we keep it civil which I have great respect for you for

And I for one appreciate reading threads where two posters disagree but keep it civil.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Me too Eng. Your still one of my favorite posters to read, despite your BB blindersCool

Sections
Shortcuts