AFC East Breakout Player

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

AFC East Breakout Player

ESPN Bloggers tossed in their two cents today about their opinions on the breakout players by division. Tim Graham, who blogs for the AFC East, argued that it should be Dustin Keller.

I'm not trying to be a homer, but I am really on the Sammy Morris bandwagon. I posted before that I expect 1000/10 from him this year and it's not that far fetched when you look at his numbers in New England. I gave my thoughts on it here, but I can also see Brandon Meriweather bringing home this award.

Either way, I like Keller, but I can't see him being impactful enough to warrant this type of credit.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: AFC East Breakout Player

I dont think you are a homer, I just think you have drank too much kool aide lol Sammy Morris is great and he has been our best RB the last two years no doubt but the Pats are a runing back by committee and I dont mean one or two backs i mean we have like 4 RBs each year that we share the load with so not only will Sammy not break 1000 yards this year no Pats RB will. If we are lucky Sammy will get some where between 500 and 1000 yards and the same goes for Maroney and Fred taylor all 3 of those guys should get at least 600 yards this year. But none of them will have a 1000 yard season. That is just not the way they do it.

But as far as breakout players go I will throw Pierre Woods into the mix, I think he will shock people this year. I also think Brandon Merriwhether is going to have a pro bowl type season and turn some heads. Gary Guyton is another guy to keep an eye on and who knows maybe even a guy like TE Alex Smith. All of these guys have a good shot at a breakout season. And you can include Crable as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

But as far as breakout players go I will throw Pierre Woods into the mix, I think he will shock people this year. I also think Brandon Merriwhether is going to have a pro bowl type season and turn some heads. Gary Guyton is another guy to keep an eye on and who knows maybe even a guy like TE Alex Smith. All of these guys have a good shot at a breakout season. And you can include Crable as well.

All those guys could very well be a pleasant surprise (I'm hoping Guyton takes a big step, at least). But I wouldn't be surprised to see Mayo be a huge factor. He did very well in 08, and I'm hoping he can become a top 5 LB this time around. I'd love to see him step up and start making the key plays like Willie Mac used to. That is the biggest need on this defense, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Kellen Clemens

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Bub, I wanted to put Mayo down but he was teh rookie of the year so I dont really think we could call this his breakout season as he already had a breakout season last year. But I fully expect him to become a beast. He wont make teh same plays Will used to cause they are not playing the same LB spot but i agree it would be nice to see him make some clutch type plays.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Guyton could be an interesting pick here because nobody outside of New England realizes he's on the team but I really think Meriweather will make the leap to leader of the secondary. 

If you look at his numbers, granted it's a small sample, he had a bad first year with little in the way of stats but he did make his way onto the first string and his 2nd season he sort of picked it up quite a bit. 

I'll also note that his second season is nearly identical to Ed Reed's rookie season so, for the sake of optimism, let's assume he took an extra year to adjust to the NFL and say he's on track to being a big player.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I'll go ahead and say Vernon Gholston. Written off too soon after switching to a brand new position, Gholston will be better prepared, better trained, and better utilized by his new coach, and will work hard to prove his doubters wrong.

The Jets have a great secondary, so that'll give him extra time to get to the QB also.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Prairie Mike: Erik Ainge. Him or Ghoul-Ston. Na, My pick is Meriweather, however, it is tough to make the pro-bowl with players like Reed and Troy Poms Poms playing in the same conference at the same position. I expect one of the Pats young LBs to really step up: Guyton or Woods or Crable. Mayo will continue to get better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Mark Sanchez

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

In Response to Re: AFC East Breakout Player:
    [QUOTE]Bub, I wanted to put Mayo down but he was teh rookie of the year so I dont really think we could call this his breakout season as he already had a breakout season last year. But I fully expect him to become a beast. He wont make teh same plays Will used to cause they are not playing the same LB spot but i agree it would be nice to see him make some clutch type plays.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Since he was defensive ROY, if he did have a "breakout" season that would mean he'd be the defensive POY! That would be sweet. And I agree that he won't make the same plays as McGinest, but I meant it how you put it...making the clutch plays when they need them the most. Now that would help the team immensely!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

[QUOTE]Mark Sanchez
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]

I think he has a better chance at being the "bust" of the year...much like Gholston was in 08!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Dont mind Jbolt he is just holding out hope that someone stops the Pats from making the playoffs cause he is scared of playing us in the playoffs. Thats all that is, he does not care about Sanchez he just doesnt want to play us so he is hoping and wishing that the Pats some how miss the playoffs so of course he is now a Jets fan. Its ok though we all understand, we would be scared too if our team had never wona super bowl in their entire history and our window was closing the way it is in SD so no worries we all understand what you are going through little guy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

Sanchez will be spreading chips(more cheese sauce please)at the nachos stand across from the stadium by this time next year..break out year?...he'll be breaking out lawn chairs for new customers....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I like Gholston as a pick for breakout player.  The guy looked like an absolute stud coming out of school and never really caught up to NFL speed. I would be with an extra year under his belt he makes a big leap this year in production. Either that or he struggles again and basically falls off into obscurity forever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Oh, and yeah, I may have drank a little too much kool-aid, but it's not like we're talking about Morris getting 20-25 carries a game. He could reach 1000 yards by getting an extra 1.6 carries per game. We're talking 13.6 carries.  That's totally reachable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

No doubt about it: Brandon Merriweather. Safeties are like wide receivers. They really hit their stride in year 3. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

[QUOTE]Dont mind Jbolt he is just holding out hope that someone stops the Pats from making the playoffs cause he is scared of playing us in the playoffs. Thats all that is, he does not care about Sanchez he just doesnt want to play us so he is hoping and wishing that the Pats some how miss the playoffs so of course he is now a Jets fan. Its ok though we all understand, we would be scared too if our team had never wona super bowl in their entire history and our window was closing the way it is in SD so no worries we all understand what you are going through little guy.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

TAZ
    By no means are SD fans 'afraid' of playing NE in the playoffs, actually relish the opportunity should the Patriots even make the playoffs this year. We'll see if they can make it this year, although the rooks and 2nd year players could doom the Pats post season aspirations yet again. And Sanchez - very simply is a gamer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from paularnold. Show paularnold's posts

Fred Jackson of the Bills could become a breakout player in this division, even Trent Edwards with some more experience and another solid receiver.  For the Pats, maybe Bodden.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

It could also be Leodis McKelvin, second year CB/kick returner for the Bills.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Umm, didn't I just "go ahead and put Leodis McKelvins Name out there" in the post right before yours?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Saw Mc Kelvin in pre-season last year. Very good player with tons of potential. Heck that sounds like Mayock's pre-draft assessment.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

[QUOTE]Fred Jackson of the Bills could become a breakout player in this division, even Trent Edwards with some more experience and another solid receiver.  For the Pats, maybe Bodden.
    Posted by paularnold[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone would actually be surprised if Bodden has a good season, he's only 1 season away from his 6 int season in '07.

This year I think it might be Maroney though, the pressures on him. He has to prove he can play at this level and stay healthy if he wants to be on the team, and I think he's up for the challenge.

24. This post has been removed.