AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP PICKS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP PICKS

Let's start with the NFC ... SAN Francisco 49ers vs NYG. Which team is a more unlikely SB TEAM? The Jints are an irritating 9-7 team that thinks it can flip a switch and be a great team... Notsomuch... This ain't 2007 and lucky Eli is a mediocre QB who will be exposed against a tough SF defense in a tough road game in wet conditions. SF will not throw upon themselves and give the game away like GreenBay. SF will run the ball better with frank Gore and win the turnover battle. Pick: 49ers (-3) AFC ... Which team has momentum ? Which is on the rise? NE right now is scary ... The offense, particularly the no-huddle, speaks for its dominating self. There are too many dynamic moving parts for even a top tier defense to account for. They will score enough points... However, the NE Defense wins this game. The 3-headed monster DL(Wilfork,love,Warren) will stuff the middle, the edge guys(nink,Anderson) will get to flacco. The secondary will blanket Raven receivers and produce multiple INTS. MCC will play great at safety making plays on deep balls. Mayo and Spikes are a dynamic duo at LB. This defense is peaking at the right time having found itself in week 17 IMO. BB found the right mix and these guys have gelled... I see the intensity from last week carrying over into this game with another dominating effort. Intangibles favor NE also... Crowd noise, revenge factor, and Brady as a leader getting over that hump last week. Showing his young maturing team how to win and raise the level of play in the postseason. This team is the real deal... Excellent football players with a good mix of young energy and veteran leadership still in their prime combined with great coaching... What's not to like...? Pick: Patriots (-7.5)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Re: AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP PICKS

Sorry can't take you serious when you refer to Eli Manning as mediocre and lucky. I m not a Manning fan but he is a top tier QB ...Go Pats!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

In Response to Re: AFC/NFC CHAMPIONSHIP PICKS:
    Sorry can't take you serious when you refer to Eli Manning as mediocre and lucky. I m not a Manning fan but he is a top tier QB ...Go Pats!
    Posted by null

I agree. I dont like the Mannings but I respect them. And Eli has had a very good season. The Giants seem to have our number, I would like to see the 49ers and us in the Super Bowl.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Eli's had a good season, but he is way too inconsistent, game to game and season to season for me to consider him great. 

He could just as easily come out and throw another 25 picks next season. That's not top-tier to me. 

He has his flashes though, and is certainly a better option than a bunch of other stiffs in this league. 

I like SF and NE. Home field will be huge this Championship round, mostly because Baltimore won't have crowd noise on their side, and SF will, which can drastically aid a defense. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Posted by null

I agree.. Eli is not mediocre, but, before I would anoint him "elite", he needs to put together a few more seasons like this one.  He is having ONE great year right now.  Sort of like Rodgers from the end of last season into this one.  Eli and the Giants are the flavor of the moment.  What is surprising, the Giants, winners of "FOUR" straight games, are considered HOTTER than the Pats who have won NINE straight games.  Go figure!!

As for my picks:
    The last time the Ravens faced an offense remotely like the Pats, they lost on the road against the SD Chargers 34 - 14. They are on the road again against a Pats' offense present problems the Ravens have yet to face in spite of all their bluster. They are good, but, this time may be overmatched. IMHO, the X factor is the play of the Pats D, can it carry over from last week and I think it will. I like the Pats at home.
    On a sloppy track, I like the 49'ers at home.  Their D will stuff the Giants run attack and Manning does not present the same passing problems Brees and the Saints did last week.  If the 49'ers can do to Brees what they did, they can easily do that to Manning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

The lucky part is the Tyree catch (he stunk on that last drive and was aided by horrible officiating), and the hail Mary at the end of the half last week. Without this pure luck and gift fumbles by green bay, Eli has no SB and is more likely sitting at home this weekend like other average QBs not named flacco or Smith. Most Eli lovers or apologists are infatuated with the manning name .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Hard not to go with the home teams in both games.

Despite most of what I keep hearing from people who claim to know, the Ravens are going to have to shoot it out with the Pats. That defense, while rock solid at a couple key spots, is not the devastating Ravens defenses you've heard so much about in the past. The Pats will move the ball against Baltimore, and Flacco is going to have to put up something close to 30 to win this one.

He'll never do it.

Pats: 31-17

Chan Sanfrisco is something of an enigma to me. I had them all lined up for the "Nice Try, See You Next Year Bracket" when old friend Alex Smith did that thing that everybody said he couldn't do. At a glance, New Jersey appears to be "peaking at the right time," but I'm more inclined to believe that they simply match up well with a Green Bay team that some of us knew all along didn't have the bones to match its bluster (well . . .  really . . .  the bluster of its fans). Of course, if the Niners are as careless with the ball as Green Bay was, the Jints will simply stroll away with this thing, but I expect an old-school dogfight in this one and that, ultimately, it will be Manning (suddenly, there's only one Manning again, but it's a different one . . .   weird) who tries to do more than he's capable of. This will be one for all those among us who miss football the way it was meant to be played.

Niners: 20-16

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

"What you really really want" (quoting the Pussycat Dolls)

Gints, Patriots.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

I disagree, I think Eli has slowly become an "elite" quaterback. If he beats the 49ers the Giants will be a tough team to be. The Giants rely heavily on their momentum and their pride. But when they have neither, they lose twice to teams like the Redskins. So I will pick the two home teams Patriots and 49ers. Home field advantage is the key, and I see the home teams advancing to the superbowl.

I know I didn't talk about the Patriots to much, but any argument I have is a wash because I'm just a die-hard fan, and this is a Boston board. And I don't believe in spreads or picking scores.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

The lucky part is the Tyree catch (he stunk on that last drive and was aided by horrible officiating), and the hail Mary at the end of the half last week. Without this pure luck and gift fumbles by green bay, Eli has no SB and is more likely sitting at home this weekend like other average QBs not named flacco or Smith. Most Eli lovers or apologists are infatuated with the manning name .
    Posted by coolade2

The Tyree play was mostly lucky; however, if Brady made a play like that, here's guessing you would have extolled its virtues and called it clutch.

You mean the Hail Mary play had absolutely no skill involved?  Really?

How about the NFL Record 15 4th Quarter TDs this season, some game changing? Was that lucky too?

The 4900+ Passing Yds?

Eli may have been average (or worse) in the past, but certainly not this yr.

The experts seem to agree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Posted by coolade2

No one here is infatuated with the Manning name is New England. We just respect Eli Manning as a good NFL QB. Certainly better than Flacco or Smith right now. I wouldn't place him with the elite, but certainly would consider him a very good QB. And I'm not a Giants fan. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

I think that Eli has grown as a QB but still is not consistent. I hear Giant fans ripping him apart throughout the year. So picking the NFC game to me is harder to pick, I think the 49 ers are not going to be as easy as the Giants think, it will bea sloppy and low scoring game I think the 49ers will pull out a win final score SF 17 Giants 14 The AFC will be a higher score game PATS 31 Ravens 17, I just think we know the players on the Ravens so well and will be able to stop them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

Popularity wise for the country, a West coast/East coast will generate the most interest. Pats and 49ers. I would love the revenge factor with the Giants, but I don't see them getting by the Home team. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Popularity wise for the country, a West coast/East coast will generate the most interest. Pats and 49ers. I would love the revenge factor with the Giants, but I don't see them getting by the Home team. 
    Posted by xBruzer77

Plus, a win by Brady gives him 4 rings and surpasses his boyhood QB idol Montana for career playoff wins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I think that Eli has grown as a QB but still is not consistent. I hear Giant fans ripping him apart throughout the year. So picking the NFC game to me is harder to pick, I think the 49 ers are not going to be as easy as the Giants think, it will bea sloppy and low scoring game I think the 49ers will pull out a win final score SF 17 Giants 14 The AFC will be a higher score game PATS 31 Ravens 17, I just think we know the players on the Ravens so well and will be able to stop them.
    Posted by laurienyc13

Good guesses. I agree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

NFC - SF

I think NYGs get shut down

AFC - NE

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The more I'm reading, the more I lean toward the Patriots. 

Grandpa Ed Reed has to be horribly out of cardiovascular conditioning at this point.  I got more cardio than he did this week on his bad ankle, and he's been forced to take it soft all season except in games.  He's the last guy you want defending against the no-huddle, except for me.  So, the Pats are going to line up fast and hike the ball fast 10 times in a row going down the field, just to see Gramps wheeze like crazy and lose two or three steps of acceleration.  Brady loves a target like that.  Reed is historically good on run support, but he can't defense a pass if he's three steps behind the receiver.

The Ravens have been a clownfest this week.  They have much better things to do than worry about the Patriots.  Ray Rice had an elaborate scam set up for his benefit.  Ed Reed tattled on Joe Flacco to the brass because Flacco was on a skateboard and that's against the Ravens' insurance policy.  Also, Reed called Flacco out for his "bad" performance against Houston.  Actually Flacco did pretty good last week, and the rest of the team might have lost the game for Flacco, but Houston had a genuine rookie QB with only 5 starts who gave the game away.

My hard numbers are Patriots by 9.5 points, and if I'm backing away from that call, it's a bit further in the Patriots' direction.

Free touchdown celebration snow with every seat purchase.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BILLB50. Show BILLB50's posts

Donn't get depress if Pat 's fall behind,Ravens had 14 pt lead at halftime last year against Pitts.then choked. This team doesn't know how to win big games, will find way to lose. They find ways to self destruct, then ways to win.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I think the NFC game will be low scoring 13-10 game with the Jints winning but it could be the other way around as these two teams are equal on defense but the deciding factor in the game will be Goober one way or the other he'll either throw a pick or TD but either way it will decide who wins. As for the Patriots vs. Ravens everyone seems to think the Ravens will be competitive I just don't see it. Patriots 38-17. My prayers go out to 85 and his family for their loss of their Father.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I think Pats and SF, although Giants wouldn't surprise me either.

Eli has some terrific weapons with Nicks and Cruz, who has really come on this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rodimus77. Show Rodimus77's posts

Pats Vs Gi Aint's

"Payback time"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Im the REAL KING. Show Im the REAL KING's posts

How wonderful a Patriot vs San Fran Super Bowl be!

You have the golden boy Tom Brady, whose boyhood idol Joe Montana and his ex-team go head to head.
    Mr. Brady breaking NFL records against his childhood favorite team, surpassing some of his idols NFL records, as well as East Coast vs West Coast NFL!

Its a media day dream event and circus style atmosphere! Ahhh, the money the NFL would garnish from such an extravaganza..... Its a win win win!!!!

All they need is a half time show with Rex Ryan dressed in his clown suit and licking Mr Brady's boots!!!!
    Oh the Humanity!!!Surprised

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Eli is coming off the flu. He wont be feeling 100%. Give him a bunch of heat and excitement, same ole Eli. Flacco cant put up 30, Pats win big 34-17

Pats/SF Superbowl.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

49ers/Patriots. My two favorite teams in the Super Bowl.

Sections
Shortcuts