AFC - No dominant team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

AFC - No dominant team

It appears that teams in AFC are up one week and down the next.  Houston pummeled by Green Bay.  Ravens barely getting by Dallas and losing two,starters. San Diego is pounding Denver so far.  Pittsburgh not so good, and the list goes on.  I am holding out some hope that PATS can get their act together and string some wins together.  AFC is still anyone's to win.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

Re: AFC - No dominant team

In response to MasterHess-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Stick around and we'll see who is the best in the AFC East come this Monday morning.

pats 27 Jets 34

brady is old and your DB's are weak at best!

[/QUOTE]

We will see what happens Sunday.  I think the pats are really upset with themselves right now, and they will be fired up come Sunday.  Especially since it is against the Jets at home.  I see a big win coming.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The NFC is so much better than the AFC right now it is a little embarrasing. The Pats will be lucky to beat St Loius with the way their defense is playing now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]

Stick around and we'll see who is the best in the AFC East come this Monday morning.

pats 27 Jets 34

[/QUOTE]

The Jets have lost three games by 17 points, 34 points, and 6 points.  The Patriots have lost three games by a total of four points.  The Patriots could easily be 6-0 with a little luck.  The Jets could at best be 4-2.  Brady is not too old to hand the ball off to his running backs for 250 yards, and Sanchez is not good enough to take advantage of the weak NE secondary.  Patriots 35, Jets minus 10.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The NFC is so much better than the AFC right now it is a little embarrasing. The Pats will be lucky to beat St Loius with the way their defense is playing now.

[/QUOTE]

exactly.

better headline., will teh pats win the division and make the playoffs, never mind a bye.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

pats 27 Jets 34

[/QUOTE]

The Jets have lost three games by 17 points, 34 points, and 6 points.  The Patriots have lost three games by a total of four points.  The Patriots could easily be 6-0 with a little luck.  The Jets could at best be 4-2.  Brady is not too old to hand the ball off to his running backs for 250 yards, and Sanchez is not good enough to take advantage of the weak NE secondary.  Patriots 35, Jets minus 10.

[/QUOTE]

the jets are a worse team. the pats coaches know how to lose.

the pats have the best offense in teh nfl, but dont now how to use it or how to manage a game (or coach dbs).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

There is no clear dominant team in the AFC this year, that is definitely true. However, it is hard to argue that Baltimore and Houston are not both better than the Patriots. There is reason why they are 5-1 and the Pats are 3-3.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

What's strange is the Pats actually have a very good point diferrential after 6 games, better than the 5-1 Ravens. Only Houston is better in the AFC. The Ravens defense may be in big trouble for the rest of the year. Flacco may finally have to play consistent to win (not a lot of 9-6 wins on that schedule now). Cowboys really blew that game. That 2 point conversion was in his hands.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is no clear dominant team in the AFC this year, that is definitely true. However, it is hard to argue that Baltimore and Houston are not both better than the Patriots. There is reason why they are 5-1 and the Pats are 3-3.

[/QUOTE]

Well as far as Houston goes, one game a bad team does not make.  They played like morons last night. Bad penalties, I mean who punches a helmet? Its a lot harder than your hand.  Anyhow as far as Baltimore goes, against the Pats, pretty sure those 3 or 4 "Ummmmm I didn't see anything there" comments from the announcers as the Ravens were gifted timely phantom holding/PI calls that game isn't even close. The should have lost to Cleveland, but they got bailed out by the refs again. They finally may be done with Ray and Ladarius done.  But they still have a decent D, decent O and a great back in Rice. To say they are better than the Pats though or vice versa at this point, is a stretch IMO.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

What's strange is the Pats actually have a very good point diferrential after 6 games, better than the 5-1 Ravens. Only Houston is better in the AFC. The Ravens defense may be in big trouble for the rest of the year. Flacco may finally have to play consistent to win (not a lot of 9-6 wins on that schedule now). Cowboys really blew that game. That 2 point conversion was in his hands.

[/QUOTE]

Point differential is completely overrated. The outscored the Bills and Titans by a combined 45 points. Who cares. This is not college and you do not get style points for running up the score. They can pile on when they are winning and they have to, because no lead is safe with their defense.

Yes, the Ravens "may" be in trouble. They still essentially have a three game lead on the Patriots for a bye. I would argue that they way the Patriots have played in their losses, the belong in the large group of mediocre teams in the AFC right now. If you can keep it close for three quarters (apparently 13 points is not a safe lead with under 10 minutes to go), they are not good at closing out games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Point differential is completely overrated. The outscored the Bills and Titans by a combined 45 points. Who cares. This is not college and you do not get style points for running up the score. They can pile on when they are winning and they have to, because no lead is safe with their defense.

Yes, the Ravens "may" be in trouble. They still essentially have a three game lead on the Patriots for a bye. I would argue that they way the Patriots have played in their losses, the belong in the large group of mediocre teams in the AFC right now. If you can keep it close for three quarters (apparently 13 points is not a safe lead with under 10 minutes to go), they are not good at closing out games.

[/QUOTE]

Played in their losses? They've lost by 4 points total.  They lost the AZ game on a missed field goal that wasn't needed because they won with a touchdown. Oh wait Gronk "Held" a guy for .5 seconds and no more touchdown.  Mike Pereira stated regular refs wouldn't have called that. Then you have the Ravens game.  How many phantom holding calls that bailed the Ravens from what would have been 3rd or 4th and long and gave them 1st downs. Multiple times on a drive? When the announcers say "Ummmmm...dont know what that was", should tell you something. That is just obious instances of game changing calls that absolutely killed the Pats.  Its hard enough to win in the NFL and deal with that stuff. Sure if they hadn't missed the field goal against AZ they still win.  Point is, they should not have had to. The game is a composite of play on the field and officiating. 

To your final point, I agree, they need to close out games better. No matter. They should not have needed to be in that position. They need to be up by 20 with 7 to somewhat take any potential officating bias/inability out of the equation.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to AFNAV130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Played in their losses? They've lost by 4 points total.  They lost the AZ game on a missed field goal that wasn't needed because they won with a touchdown. Oh wait Gronk "Held" a guy for .5 seconds and no more touchdown.  Mike Pereira stated regular refs wouldn't have called that. Then you have the Ravens game.  How many phantom holding calls that bailed the Ravens from what would have been 3rd or 4th and long and gave them 1st downs. Multiple times on a drive? When the announcers say "Ummmmm...dont know what that was", should tell you something. That is just obious instances of game changing calls that absolutely killed the Pats.  Its hard enough to win in the NFL and deal with that stuff. Sure if they hadn't missed the field goal against AZ they still win.  Point is, they should not have had to. The game is a composite of play on the field and officiating. 

To your final point, I agree, they need to close out games better. No matter. They should not have needed to be in that position. They need to be up by 20 with 7 to somewhat take any potential officating bias out of the equation.

[/QUOTE]

All three times they had second half leads. Twice they had two score leads in the fourth quarter and still lost. 

Officiating bias is totall crap. There are bad calls on both sides of the ball in every game deal with it. I am sure Nate Solder never holds, but doesn't get called, and Gronk never uses his hands to get open. 

My point was that point differential is meaningless. The blew out a couple of teams and it totally inflated. 24 point wins do not count any more than 1 point wins.  Last week, they made the Denver game a lot more interesting then it should have been. They Broncos had a chance to pull within FG with 4 minutes left after being down 24 in the 3rd quarter.

When the game is close late, I do not have faith in this coaching staff to figure out how to stop anyone.  If the offense fails to continue piling on, this team is always in danger of losing...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to brazilnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

pats 27 Jets 34

[/QUOTE]

We will see what happens Sunday.  I think the pats are really upset with themselves right now, and they will be fired up come Sunday.  Especially since it is against the Jets at home.  I see a big win coming.

[/QUOTE]
    I hope that you are right.  I do agree that I don't see the Patriots losing at home to the rival Jets.  They have to be upset with their current record and all of their close losses this season. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Patriots isnt going to lose another home game.  Good thing that the Jets won the game last week against a very weak team while the Patriots lost to a good tough team.  Patriots will have more motiviation than the Jets.   Rex Ryan is now again running his mouth.  Every time he does that, his team lose!!!

Since Patriots secondary defense cant defend a long pass, but the good news that neither Jets QB can throw long.  They are more of a short passer QB.  Therefore, Patriots should win the game easily.

I am sure they will run the score up to p#ss Rex Ryan off just like they did it before!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The Patriots beat up weak teams as well. That is why they have the number one offense in the NFL.  When they can, they run up the score and pile up ungodly stats. It makes them look statiscally better than they really are...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to jri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Brady is washed up ....agreed but he still has a little gas in his tank. he'll throw for one your special teams will get one  sanchez will probably throw one to one of your guys and you'll get a couple of FG's.

Sanchez will pick apart your lackluster DB's and have a field day except for the INT he throws late in the game but NE would have run out of time by then....again.

Is this guy for real? sanchez has one decent game against a horrible colts defense. He looked real good against the 49ers. I got news for you, the Pats front 7 will give Sanchez all he can handle. The Jets Oline is still mediocre at best. Shonn Greene does not put the fear into anybody. Kiss the running game goodbye, The only thing I fear is somebody like Dustin Keller or Jeremy Kerley beating the Pats secondary. Unfortunately the Pats have been giving up big plays every game. I think Gronk and Hernandez have big days.

call me Nostradomus- i see things

[/QUOTE]

How can that be, the #5 pick in the 2009 draft who completes passes at a 49% clip is going to throw a pick 6 to the secondary that can't cover. Now you are talking blasphemy.

[/QUOTE]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Many thought, excepting the Niners, that the NFC West would be relatively easy and as CCBJD(?) mentions the rams D looks good.  Many of the good AFC teams have lost key players: ravens (Lewis, Webb) Pittsburgh's O line has been ravaged by injuries (and Troy), Houston lost Cushing and was exposed as a playoff team that might not win in the playoffs. The Pats have a fairly young team (how many are still only in the 3rd or 4th year, let alone rookies), but I think what we are seeing is alot of AFC teams that were legit contenders two years ago getting older and not acquiring young players to turn over their roster.  It is very difficult to replace players like Lewis, Suggs, bruschi, and Polamulu(sp)with a young pup with limited experience. Some NFC teams have drafted/acquired players very well (Dimitroff in Atlanta and Thompson in Green Bay, and ofcourse the giants and niners).

Sections
Shortcuts