AFC Playbook on NFLN

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Re: AFC Playbook on NFLN

Gotta agree...the empty backfield is getting old....also, stop mixing & matching RB's with the same skill set...they need to get into a rythem....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Did Joe have any suggestions for a D that gives up the most yards per play in the league?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Also, the RB in the backfield sets up the screen pass or can go through the line for a dunk pass.  Either way, when you have an RB in the backfield, it ALWAYS presents a run opportunity and the defense needs to protect against that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

theismann is right on with that analysis. some have been saying this since week one when everything looked good. sooner or later the league would catch up with the shotgun spread and this offense would become anemic.  it's surprising that it took this long, but the league has caught on and its either change or finish 9-7. if the patriots open up with brady in the shotgun with an empty backfield look for a long ugly night. they would have a better chance even if they run the ball 3 straight times and go three and out on the first series. 

the defense has played better, obviously they need to get better but they held the steelers to a couple of fg in the 2nd half and shut down the giants for most of that game. if they could have scored a couple of td's it would have changed both of those games. add the numerous interceptions and fumbles to the equation and its tough on any defense. it's past time to blame the defense for the decline and look at the offense, the scheme in particular. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to AFC Playbook on NFLN:
    [QUOTE]Joe Theismann lays out why NE's pass offense is successful against NY. The key? BJGE as a lead back. Do not empty the backfield in a 5 man shotgun spread, lean on BJGE or Ridley as lead backs. Do not sub for the lead back on the respective drive. They showed BJGE TWICE easily picking up the blitz or just sitting back in extra pass protection on two totally different pass plays. One was a mid field throw to Hernandez in mass protect and another was a wide sidleine route for about 15 yards to Branch on a blitz by NY.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Yes - they have to respect the run and the screen in order for the pass to work against the Jets' man coverage disguised blitz scheme

Against zones, spreading the field can open things up.  Pat Kirwin explains here:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d818e0966/article/spread-offense-has-ability-to-help-teams-in-pass-protection-

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: AFC Playbook on NFLN:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AFC Playbook on NFLN : Exactly. The scheme sets up the likelihood of successful execution. Jets fans worst nightmare right now is that the offense is scaled back, simplified down and the JEts D can't disguise man or zone, because their D's ability to disguise man or zone with Brady either not caring or gambling on executing in man, is what D's bank on. That's it. If Brady checks to a run, maybe a designed checkdown, a screen or a designed short pass (slant, quick curl, etc), and I don't even care if the result is 3 yards. If he does that, it's going at some point to force into a zone, where they're overmatched by our personnel. The only thing that Kirwan column leaves out is subbing your RB unnecesarily, and leaving an empty backfield. You can still spread in the shotgun with 4 WR/TEs and a lone setback. The key is not to sub our backs.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Kevin Faulk will be helpful, too.  He can motion out to WR or back into the backfield, blitz pick-up, and run draw plays and screens.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Agree to all of this

As to Woodhead - i have seen him get run over
    by the blitz - so we hve to watch that scheme

Trent dilfer also said taht there are WR routes against MTM that the Pats aren't using - crossing patterns

The Jets down here are pretty quiet.
    thye expect to win

Getting the early lead will really be helpful

Do we want to KO or Receive Qtr1?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I see the brain trust is hard at work here figuring out where the HOF coach and HOF QB are going wrong. But don't worry, that HOF D will save us! LMFAO

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AFC Playbook on NFLN : Kevin Faulk will be helpful, too.  He can motion out to WR or back into the backfield, blitz pick-up, and run draw plays and screens.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I thought Kevin looked fine in his game, but he may not have made it through unscathed? I admit if we will continue to audible to the spread as much as we do I would rather have Faulk/Woody out wide then Benny. I HATE it when we send Benny out wide. We will never throw to him, it kind of takes away one offensive player.

Btw if I had a list of 100 people to get my NFL analysis from Pat Kirwan would be near the top.

You should all get his book, "Take your eye off the ball"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I see the brain trust is hard at work here figuring out where the HOF coach and HOF QB are going wrong. But don't worry, that HOF D will save us! LMFAO
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

the hof coach's specialty is d.people here figured he's got that covered. since you want to focus on the d, why don't you start a thread focusing on ideas for how to fix it with the current roster?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]Did Joe have any suggestions for a D that gives up the most yards per play in the league?
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Thats a tough one, they are what they are.

I think they are relatively good against the run. Thy are very easy to move the chains on when trying to stop the long pass. Look at the entire Pittsburgh game and the last drive from the Giants among other examples.

SO, I say force the other team to take chances with the long ball and take away the 10-15 yards from scrimmage with passing. On 3rd and long keep the pressure on with a good pass rush...and don't lay back near the first down marker, disrupt more at the line of scrimmage.

Take more chances on D and force the other team to take more chances with their passing game. Yes , they will get burned mightily on long plays once in  a while..but long plays just get the other team to the red zone faster where I also don't think they are that bad.

So..I say play for the other team to get a FG, throw a pick and NOT to have clock eating drives...thats the best expression of this D.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I am worried about the Jets having Mankins back - their MVP Offensive player
    and we lose Spikes -

As far as double guessing our HoF coach
    i don't look at it that way
    Except for the Steelrs his plan was good enough to win but we had turnovers
    I also think with the change in the rules , it takes away from the BB defensive coaching advantage.

With the lack of Offense in the last 3 weeks, teams have adjusted to us and we have to adjust back. especialy w/ the MTM we are getting

In terms of our D
    Its a work in progress
    Even Eli said that alot of the yds against us were based updon
    us having a lead and playing soft.

To me its al about the RED Zone and gettimg a few 3 and outs
    which we are capable of - there is no great D in this league
    which means the Offense has to step up and at least make no TO's

and lastly =
    I never guarantee a win - ever

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]I am worried about the Jets having Mankins back - their MVP Offensive player and we lose Spikes - As far as double guessing our HoF coach i don't look at it that way Except for the Steelrs his plan was good enough to win but we had turnovers I also think with the change in the rules , it takes away from the BB defensive coaching advantage. With the lack of Offense in the last 3 weeks, teams have adjusted to us and we have to adjust back. especialy w/ the MTM we are getting In terms of our D Its a work in progress Even Eli said that alot of the yds against us were based updon us having a lead and playing soft. To me its al about the RED Zone and gettimg a few 3 and outs which we are capable of - there is no great D in this league which means the Offense has to step up and at least make no TO's and lastly = I never guarantee a win - ever
    Posted by seawolfxs[/QUOTE]

u mean mangold? i'd hate to see mankins on the other side.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: AFC Playbook on NFLN : I thought Kevin looked fine in his game, but he may not have made it through unscathed? I admit if we will continue to audible to the spread as much as we do I would rather have Faulk/Woody out wide then Benny. I HATE it when we send Benny out wide. We will never throw to him, it kind of takes away one offensive player. Btw if I had a list of 100 people to get my NFL analysis from Pat Kirwan would be near the top. You should all get his book, "Take your eye off the ball"
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

thanks for the book recommendation!

I'll get to that after I read Jaworski's 10 games that changed the game

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I rather see Ridley as lead back