After 4 Games.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

After 4 Games.....

Well it’s been 4 weeks of ball and I have hardly been on the board… well I have been reading stuff but I have not been exactly eager to post anything contingent of what is being talked about.  I have noticed some good and not so good as most of us have; however, what I find puzzling is the hate on some of players.  Now let’s look at some of our concerns heading into the season.

Nink…. Reiss literally gave a shout to the guy for how he has played and played during the Buffalo game in particular.( http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731306/picked-up-pieces-from-second-half-review-4)  Now I want to see Cunningham play more myself, but Nink has more versatility to his game at the moment.  I would also like to add I was always high on Cunningham while everyone else wanted to see him get cut, but now he gets to the QB (here and there) and he should replace Nink?  Honestly, I would rather see his pass-rush skills in there, but he set the edge like Nink?  I already see the responses coming in on that one…. I’ll take that heat.

DMC – well… seems like everyone hates the guy, but if you ask me he has only truly played ONE bad quarter of football (And it probably costs the Pats one game).   He dropped a few int’s, but I guess that’s why he’s a DB and not WR?  I don’t, but I am sure we could do worse at the position.  I don’t think any CB has been ‘shut down’ this season to be honest.  Some CB’s have had great games and some not so great just like DMC.  This brings me to my next thought…

Safeties – I believe this group is the real problem in the secondary, but I feel it’s one that will improve.  Buffalo exposed some issues, but I feel that can be buttoned a bit and will not be as big as an issue as it seems to be after one game.

DL- Pass-rush is not where we want it to be, but they got the run plugged up.  Hopefully pass-rush continues to improve.  This group IS better than last years, and we need to be happy about that. 

OL- It looked pretty solid against a solid pass-rush, and should be one of the best in the NFL.  Even if they are not number 1, they are more than capable of doing their jobs.    

RB-  What a great stable back there.  I still believe Vereen can and will contribute.  Between Ridley, Bolden, Woody, and Vereen it is something nice to see with the balance.  Ridley looks like a true Number 1, and Bolden is a nice surprise.

Everything else is business as usual.  Brady is Brady… Welker is picking up his pace.  Even when Gronk is off, he’s catching touchdowns.  Hernandez is not even playing (And they dropped 52).  Llloyd is holding down the outside the numbers role as we hoped and expected.

My point to all this? Moral of the story is let’s not be too quick to jump to conclusions. This team is 2-2 and could be 4-0 with better play.  They are only going to get better as the year goes on, and I like the fact that they are not playing their best ball yet, because I want them to hit their stride come playoffs.  I feel this team has peaked too early the past few seasons.  Can’t wait for the Denver game.  Let’s reassess the secondary after facing Manning.  I say Pats pick Manning twice…..

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: After 4 Games.....

In response to Getzo's comment:

Well it’s been 4 weeks of ball and I have hardly been on the board… well I have been reading stuff but I have not been exactly eager to post anything contingent of what is being talked about.  I have noticed some good and not so good as most of us have; however, what I find puzzling is the hate on some of players.  Now let’s look at some of our concerns heading into the season.

Nink…. Reiss literally gave a shout to the guy for how he has played and played during the Buffalo game in particular.( http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4731306/picked-up-pieces-from-second-half-review-4)  Now I want to see Cunningham play more myself, but Nink has more versatility to his game at the moment.  I would also like to add I was always high on Cunningham while everyone else wanted to see him get cut, but now he gets to the QB (here and there) and he should replace Nink?  Honestly, I would rather see his pass-rush skills in there, but he set the edge like Nink?  I already see the responses coming in on that one…. I’ll take that heat.

DMC – well… seems like everyone hates the guy, but if you ask me he has only truly played ONE bad quarter of football (And it probably costs the Pats one game).   He dropped a few int’s, but I guess that’s why he’s a DB and not WR?  I don’t, but I am sure we could do worse at the position.  I don’t think any CB has been ‘shut down’ this season to be honest.  Some CB’s have had great games and some not so great just like DMC.  This brings me to my next thought…

Safeties – I believe this group is the real problem in the secondary, but I feel it’s one that will improve.  Buffalo exposed some issues, but I feel that can be buttoned a bit and will not be as big as an issue as it seems to be after one game.

DL- Pass-rush is not where we want it to be, but they got the run plugged up.  Hopefully pass-rush continues to improve.  This group IS better than last years, and we need to be happy about that. 

OL- It looked pretty solid against a solid pass-rush, and should be one of the best in the NFL.  Even if they are not number 1, they are more than capable of doing their jobs.    

RB-  What a great stable back there.  I still believe Vereen can and will contribute.  Between Ridley, Bolden, Woody, and Vereen it is something nice to see with the balance.  Ridley looks like a true Number 1, and Bolden is a nice surprise.

Everything else is business as usual.  Brady is Brady… Welker is picking up his pace.  Even when Gronk is off, he’s catching touchdowns.  Hernandez is not even playing (And they dropped 52).  Llloyd is holding down the outside the numbers role as we hoped and expected.

My point to all this? Moral of the story is let’s not be too quick to jump to conclusions. This team is 2-2 and could be 4-0 with better play.  They are only going to get better as the year goes on, and I like the fact that they are not playing their best ball yet, because I want them to hit their stride come playoffs.  I feel this team has peaked too early the past few seasons.  Can’t wait for the Denver game.  Let’s reassess the secondary after facing Manning.  I say Pats pick Manning twice…..

I agreewith your observations Getzo. I dint see much from ninko the 1st few games but he made some noise last Sun. I too think he and JC should besplitting time. Safety play is still a concern in the secondary but as BB increases the amount of times he sends extra rushers I think we will see an increase in consistency of secondary. We can't leave them out there for 5 seconds allday.

I agree on both lines. They can stop the run and run the ball which has always been a staple to a championship team. The Lb core is approaching top 3 status. spikes is a wrecking ball in the Ted Johnson mold. Mayo is bruschi and Hightower is a player we've never had before. An Adaluis Thomas in his prime type of versatile weapon. He is only scratching the surface and will take time to develop.

As long as we continue to mix things up on offense with a balanced attack I think we will continue to play complimentary football. Brady will get more comfortable as he had some struggles in the Arizona game and for a spell in the 1st half last Sunday. I think 7 incompletions in a row.

Anyway very excited for how well this team could be playing in November!

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: After 4 Games.....

In response to bobbysu's comment:

I think this team is better than past few years. We played a terrible game and almost won it. Ravens game, I dont care what anybody says, we outplayed them.

This team is only going to get better, thats how BB's teams go. They get better as season moves on.

The Ravens game and more to the point the 4th quarter highlighted the greatest issue with this team and it's that's it's ability to finish games vs quality opponants...Not unlike the last two Super Bowls vs the Giants. We had the lead and the ball with less than 5 minutes on the clock and failed to sustain a drive to force the opposition to use thier timeouts and then our bend but don't break defense allowed them to march down the field for the winning score.

The question that begs to be asked is why in such situations we chose to pass the ball. Where incompletions result in clock stoppages vs putting our heavy packages out on the field and placing more emphesis on the run, thus forcing the defense to use timeouts.

Then once we do "kick them the ball" perhaps we might look at playing a little more pressure defense and let our ends rush the QB with an occasional middle linebacker-safety blitz mixed in. The two gap system is why we don't get the type of pressure we could or should, on obviuos passing downs.

Finally, One of the greatest quotes I've heard attributed to Belicheck is that he's not afraid to lose. I've seen countless times where that phylosophy has shown success on the offesnive side of the ball and also there are occasioans when it doesn't work..who can forget the 4 & 1 vs the Colts...My querry is why doesn't he also take the same approach on the defensive side of the ball late in game?

Sections
Shortcuts