Agent, David Dunn

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Agent, David Dunn

This is just as silly as the posts that are calling for Belichick to be fired for not knowing Hernandez's tendencies. 

Dunn's career is in no more jeopardy than Belichick's or Kraft's . . . 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Naw, I think you are reaching here.  I really don't think agents are nearly as involved in backgrounds of their clients, let alone their personal stuff as much as say... the player's boss would be. 

---------------------------------------------

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I agree with rusty on this one. I think the agent is getting off surprisingly quietly, I'm not saying he should be headed off to jail, but he has remained invisible in the background. These agents are very involved with their clients...he knew he was a thug.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to NedBraden's comment:

Your immaturity continues to shine. Did you just say that you don't think agents aren't involved in their clients' backgrounds?

Are you kidding me? Of course they are involved!  These agents are also their agents in college, too! THey go to their houses! They meet the parents, see where they grew up, etc. DUnn is the guy who negotiated Hern's promotional contracts, too.   So, if those rumors are floating around in that industry, and you can guarantee the corps he signed on with for his sponsors asked about what their client is all about, too.

When Hernandez signed on as a rookie, Dunn had little leverage. Reason?  Red flags like weed, immaturity and high school gang associations (now we know about it).

Hernandez only had 200K guaranteed in his rookie contract. Fact.  200K. That was MILES away from any other player taken in the pre cookie cap 2010 draft of Rd 4.  And, that somewhat proves it's a bit more than just the weed, so it's safe to say not only the agent that "gang life" element at least existed.  Kraft and BB knew it too, but they clearly thought it was in his past.  But, to deny the agent didn't know?  Please, TFB12.

So, BB knew of the red flags and used it. Who knows if they protected themselves with certain language in his new deal (you'd have to think every deal an NFL franchise lays down has something, especially within this new CBA).

But, come on, your're so naive, TFB12, it's becoming embarrassing to read.

Rusty . . . I thought you were in sales?  Visiting the parents is just part of the sales process . . . the agents aren't doing background checks, they're just trying to sell their wares to the player and his parents (who usually have a major influence on the player's decision). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Naw, I think you are reaching here.  I really don't think agents are nearly as involved in backgrounds of their clients, let alone their personal stuff as much as say... the player's boss would be. 

check out my Patriots photoshops @ patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com for some good laughs.

Photobucket

Your immaturity continues to shine. Did you just say that you don't think agents aren't involved in their clients' backgrounds?

Can you read very well or do you let getting flustered ruin your ability to read as well as think?

I believe I said "I really don't think agents are nearly as involved in backgrounds of their clients, let alone their personal stuff as much as say... the player's boss would be. "

Please show me where I said the agents aren't involved in their clients background. You won't be able to because I didn't say that. 

I would assume that a multi billion dollar company who is going to invest $40 million dollars in someone that they would completely check out a player.  Trying to pawn this off on the agent is silly!  Like you!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Agents are salesmen.  They acquire the exclusive rights to market a product.

Then they get paid.

Why would they...oh forget it.  Absurd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Jerry Maguire would have known

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

Jerry Maguire would have known

No, Jerry Maguire didn't know much about Rod Tidwell's personal life.  Not even when Rod was his only client. 

LOL at Rusty's failed attempt to push and type of background goof up on Hernandez's agent instead of the Patriots.  Personally, I really don't fault the Pats but, if you are going to put the blame on someone then there is by far more blame on the Pats then his agent.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

This is just as silly as the posts that are calling for Belichick to be fired for not knowing Hernandez's tendencies. 

Dunn's career is in no more jeopardy than Belichick's or Kraft's . . . 

That's not even remotely close to what I said or what I was going for.  Hernandez's name isn't even mentioned in original post.

"BB had an amazing early run with the Patriot’s thanks in large part to the greatness of Tom Brady.  But all good things come to an end.  I am embarrassed to be a fan and Kraft should be ashamed of what’s going on in his house. 

We have all witnessed poor coaching and horrible personal decisions over the past ½ decade.  We have now become thug central and the landing spot for low character players.

BB has used up the last of his House Money with me and now I believe it’s time to move in a different direction.   Bring on the Haters"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

[QUOTE] 

Are you kidding me? Of course they are involved!  These agents are also their agents in college, too! THey go to their houses! They meet the parents, see where they grew up, etc. DUnn is the guy who negotiated Hern's promotional contracts, too.   So, if those rumors are floating around in that industry, and you can guarantee the corps he signed on with for his sponsors asked about what their client is all about, too.

When Hernandez signed on as a rookie, Dunn had little leverage. Reason?  Red flags like weed, immaturity and high school gang associations (now we know about it).

Hernandez only had 200K guaranteed in his rookie contract. Fact.  200K. That was MILES away from any other player taken in the pre cookie cap 2010 draft of Rd 4.  And, that somewhat proves it's a bit more than just the weed, so it's safe to say not only the agent that "gang life" element at least existed.  Kraft and BB knew it too, but they clearly thought it was in his past.  But, to deny the agent didn't know?  Please, TFB12.

So, BB knew of the red flags and used it. Who knows if they protected themselves with certain language in his new deal (you'd have to think every deal an NFL franchise lays down has something, especially within this new CBA).

But, come on, your're so naive, TFB12, it's becoming embarrassing to read.

Rusty . . . I thought you were in sales?  Visiting the parents is just part of the sales process . . . the agents aren't doing background checks, they're just trying to sell their wares to the player and his parents (who usually have a major influence on the player's decision). 

[/QUOTE]

all thumbs up. perfectly said.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from makinbiscuitz. Show makinbiscuitz's posts

you're way over thinking this dude.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Photobucket

Can you read very well or do you let getting flustered ruin your ability to read as well as think?

I believe I said "I really don't think agents are nearly as involved in backgrounds of their clients, let alone their personal stuff as much as say... the player's boss would be. "

Please show me where I said the agents aren't involved in their clients background. You won't be able to because I didn't say that. 

I would assume that a multi billion dollar company who is going to invest $40 million dollars in someone that they would completely check out a player.  Trying to pawn this off on the agent is silly!  Like you!

Umm, what is it about your statement of saying  "I really don't think agents are nearly as involved in backgrounds of their clients, let alone their personal stuff as much as say... the player's boss would be"... is somehow not saying that the agents don't care or want to know about their own clients background, whether it be strengths or weaknesses?

Listen to yourself.

The agent has to sell the player to the organization, know the player's background cold so he/she can negotiate properly.  There is no way the team knows MORE than the agent, because the agent would look completely unprepared and come off losing leverage out of the gate in the negotiation. 

Do you think Hernandez's 200K guaranteed for his rookie deal was by accident? NO! BB had all the leverage, held Dunn's balls to the fire and Dunn had nothing. Why? Because each side knew of the red flags! THat's why, COrky. 

Christ, you have ever negotiated for anything? Even a new car? You're utterly clueless.

Yes, agents like to go in blind and know nothing about the clients they represent. LMAO

[/QUOTE]

I negotiate a lot, sometimes being on the selling side, sometimes being on the purchasing side, and let me tell you something, if I was going to spend $40 million dollars on something I wouldn't be going off of someone (agent, salesperson's) elses word, that's for sure.  You show me someone like that and I will show you a very foolish person.  I take what they tell me then I do my own homework.  If you think I just take somebody's word on something, especially if it was that kind of money.... you gotta be crazy! 

And you can bet your bottom dollar, pal, that the Patriots knew more about Hernandez then Dunn did, I just don't see Kraft and BB having it any other way.  They are kind of control freaky like that,  and I wouldn't blame them especially talking $40 million here.  Hernandez had a perfect score on his psych test, I'm sure the Pats did even more checking into his background and at the end of the day they felt comfortable enough with what they knew.  They were wrong, all of them, but you can't predict stuff like this is going to happen. 

Like I said, if your looking to place blame on someone here, you looking at Dunn as that person then lol at you, you foolish man.

Next time you want to buy a new car let me know, I know a few salespeople that would probably like to take advantage of you since you don't do your homework on what you will be buying.  

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I am not looking for blame. What is your reading comprehension level? A 2 out of 10?  Hernandez is to blame.

I simply pointed out his agent is having a rough year.  His agent reps Sanchez, Hernandez and Chip Kelly. Not the best start of 2013 for David Dunn.

And, if I am a franchise knowing Dunn is working deals for sponsorship like he had for Hernandez, I'd be skittish in the future working with Dunn.  Again, he would know a lot more about Hernandez's daily life than a team would. He's the agent.  An agent is a lawyer for crying out loud. 

BB is a GM and a football coach, mainly leaning on the agent during the negotiations for honest info and seeing if it matches.  Dunn didn't know his own client. That's a MAJOR problem.

He's selling something he isn't sure of.

Um, here is what your original post said...

"his clients include Mark Sanchez and Aaron Hernandez.I am pretty sure his career might be in serious jeopardy. If the media was worth anything, they'd look into just how much David Dunn knew about his own client in terms of the off the field activity like we've seen from Hernandez."

Why would his career be in serious jeopardy?  Unless of course one is trying to blame Dunn for hiding or not knowing everything there is to know about Hernandez.  I promise you, not every agent knows everything their client is involved in, who they hang around with, every move they make.  You think Dunn knows all of this about Aaron Rodgers? I bet not.

You are acting like Dunn is at fault for "selling" the Patriots on a questionable person.  LOL @ you!  You know what you were trying to imply with your original post, maybe you should learn to write or learn to better express your opinions.  Apparently I'm not the only one who is taking it the way it was written.  And now it looks like you are just backpedaling and trying to turn it all around... just like you do with all the other garbage you post here.

The bottom line is, everyone knew the risk of signing Aaron Hernandez.  Everyone knew of his past problems.  That is why several other teams passed on him in the draft.  The Patriots ending up signing him didn't have anything to do with Dunn not informing them of things he did or didn't know about Hernandez, that's a foolish statement.  The Patriots knew they were getting a questionable person and they took the chance.  And now you are being foolish here. Troll!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Dunn is President and CEO of Athletes First, which is one of the bigger agencies.  They have dozens of clients, including Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers.  I believe they represented Drew Bledsoe. They also represented the other prominent NFL player accused of murder, Ray Lewis. In addition to Hernandez, they represent several Patriots (or ex Patriots) including Welker, Mesko, Bequette, Cassell, Dennard, Mallet, Merriweather, Solder, Tate, and Vereen. They also represent coaches like Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, Jason Garrett, and more. 

This is kind of a mega agency . . . Hernandez is a blip on their screen.  They probably still get their commission for the deal they negotiated for him.  They did their part, after all.  It was Hernandez who messed up . . . 

http://www.athletesfirst.net/clients/athletes/

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Dunn is President and CEO of Athletes First, which is one of the bigger agencies.  They have dozens of clients, including Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers.  I believe they represented Drew Bledsoe. They also represented the other prominent NFL player accused of murder, Ray Lewis. In addition to Hernandez, they represent several Patriots (or ex Patriots) including Welker, Mesko, Bequette, Cassell, Dennard, Mallet, Merriweather, Solder, Tate, and Vereen. They also represent coaches like Jim Harbaugh, Chip Kelly, Jason Garrett, and more. 

This is kind of a mega agency . . . Hernandez is a blip on their screen.  They probably still get their commission for the deal they negotiated for him.  They did their part, after all.  It was Hernandez who messed up . . . 

I agree that it was Hernandez that messed up and this will not hurt Athletes first at all or Dunn for that matter, but I think it is sleezy that they have not even made/released a statement in all this.

Being an agent is a little bit different craft than just being a salesman - these guys get involved with their client - they get them into parties, put them in the hotels, help their families, friends, get the limo to pick them up when they shouldn't be driving, set them up with suits, gifts, endorsements, go out with them, introduce them to people, tell them where to go on vacation and how to get there, and much more. Before they sign (and before they are pros) these guys do all sorts of shady things with these kids to get them to sign on their dotted line.

I just think it's kind of strange they haven't so much as commented on all this. Not saying they are guilty of anything...not saying they are in the wrong for getting all they can for their clients...I'm just saying for a big businesss like Athletes First to not make a peep regarding a client of theirs is weird. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I am in sales, but I also do things ethically. If I was an agent and knew a client was running with a bad crowd or doing questionable things, I'd say something.  Not saying Dunn needed a crystal ball but he likely knew a lot more about Hernandez's high school life in Bristol than Urban Meyer or Bill Belichick.

"Forty million?  Listen, he's good and all, but it's important to let you know that his friends are some pretty bad people."

Or

"My client agrees to your terms.  Anyone seen the keys to my Lambo?"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree that it was Hernandez that messed up and this will not hurt Athletes first at all or Dunn for that matter, but I think it is sleezy that they have not even made/released a statement in all this.

Being an agent is a little bit different craft than just being a salesman - these guys get involved with their client - they get them into parties, put them in the hotels, help their families, friends, get the limo to pick them up when they shouldn't be driving, set them up with suits, gifts, endorsements, go out with them, introduce them to people, tell them where to go on vacation and how to get there, and much more. Before they sign (and before they are pros) these guys do all sorts of shady things with these kids to get them to sign on their dotted line.

I just think it's kind of strange they haven't so much as commented on all this. Not saying they are guilty of anything...not saying they are in the wrong for getting all they can for their clients...I'm just saying for a big businesss like Athletes First to not make a peep regarding a client of theirs is weird. 

[/QUOTE]

What would they say?  I think there's sort of a knee-jerk dislike of agents by regular fans, which leads to blaming the agents for all sorts of things.  The reality is anyone--whether an athlete, movie star, musician, or CEO--who has rare skills (and therefore a very unique, individualized market for those skills) uses an agent to negotiate salaries.  But that's all the agent is--a professional negotiator.  They aren't mentors or parents or buddies or coaches.  They are there to negotiate pay.  Sure they wine and dine their clients, they try to get in good with people (parents, coaches, etc.) who might influence a potential client's decision to choose a particular agent, and they have an ongoing relationship with the client as they continue to try to arrange endorsement deals and keep the client happy until the next contract is ready to be negotiated.  But fans act as if agents are somehow surrogate parents for athletes.  That's just not the case.  They perform a business service, like a lawyer, an accountant, or a financial advisor.  No more.  No less. 

Sections
Shortcuts