Agent maintains...."Patriots didn't want Welker"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Agent maintains...."Patriots didn't want Welker"

Agent maintains Patriots didn't want Welker   March 17, 2013, 4:30 pm         l    

Wes Welker's agent says that the Patriots were after Danny Amendola, not Welker, all along.

(USA Today Sports)  

PHOENIX -- At the owners meetings last March in Florida, I asked Wes Welker's agent David Dunn if a four-year deal worth about $32 million would satisfy Dunn and Welker and keep Welker in New England.

"How much guaranteed?" Dunn asked.

About $18 million?

"Add about $2 million and that would work," Dunn said. "I don't care about the years, I care about the guaranteed money."

As it turned out, the extension never came. Nor did the contract with $20 million guaranteed.

Welker worked for $9.5 million in 2012 and will now work in Denver for $6 million in 2013. If the Broncos pick up his option next March, Welker will make another $6 million

The gap between the desired $20 million of last March and the $12 million he settled for this March underscores to me the obvious conclusion that Dunn and Welker misjudged the market for the wide receiver.

Sunday in Phoenix, I asked Dunn how that happened.

We spoke cordially for several minutes. He didn't want to be quoted, saying the situation was still "too fresh" but Dunn OK'd my characterizing the conversation and his version of things.

Dunn disputes the idea Welker's market was misjudged.

The Patriots simply didn't want Welker is the contention. The two-year, $16 million offer the Boston Globe reported Welker having dangled during the 2010 season that would have covered Welker in 2011 and 2012 never happened, said Dunn.

No offer was ever made, Dunn contends. Period.

If that were the case, there was no two-year, $10 million offer plus incentives that could have pumped the deal up to $16 million. 

That offer was reported by Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston, who wrote on Friday, "The last proposal from the Patriots was a two-year, $10 million pact that could have been worth up to $16 million with incentives (although in Welker's eyes a good chunk of those would have been tough to reach)."

If there were no offer, it confounds how Reiss would be able to report that the incentives in a non-existent offer were unattainable in the eyes of Welker.

Welker is at peace with how things turned out, according to Dunn. 

I asked Dunn why Welker would contend he went to Denver because he wanted to be with a winner when he was leaving a team that is 39-9 over the last three regular seasons. He returned to the notion the Patriots didn't want Welker.

Amendola was the plan all along, he believes.

Sources on the other side have told me Amendola was Plan B. That if Welker could have been secured long ago, he'd be finishing his career in New England. But the financial gap between the two sides was one the Patriots believed may not be bridged. And, instead of winding up without Welker or Amendola or any established threat to play the slot, the Patriots went after a player that they saw as attainable in Amendola.

The Welker camp will point to Welker's reduced role at the start of 2012 as proof New England was moving away from Welker. The Patriots will counter that A) the game plan in the first two weeks was run-based and why have Welker out there delivering blocks when Julian Edelman was bigger and stronger, B) Welker still played more than 50 plays in the opener and C) preserving Welker for the 16-game schedule and the playoffs was a team priority after a 2011 season in which Welker seemed ground down by the end of the season.

When we concluded talking, Dunn cautioned me to not believe everything I hear.

Given the disparity between the two versions, that's an impossibility

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Agent maintains....

In response to Godvernment's comment:

"When we concluded talking, Dunn cautioned me to not believe everything I hear."

thanks Dunn. i don't believe what i just heard from you.

a reach by the agent when welker was upset at not being signed.

did he fire his agent too?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I could understand the Pats not wanting Welker if they are going to move away from a offense that relys heavily on the slot position.  Based on the moves so far it doesn't look like that was the case.  So I really question why they decided to move on in the first place.  Amendola is not a proven player, he is injury prone, and although he is younger then Welker, he isn't exactly young at 28 yrs old.  If he was 23-24 then I get it.  But with everything I posted I just don't get it.  No way Amendola makes this a better offense then Welker did.

Had the Pats wanted to keep Welker it would have just cost a little more, they could have easily done it. But since they were trying to do the Moss phase out last season and then signing Amendola before Welker got an offer then the writing was on the wall.  Big mistake, and if they don't do something "BIG" with this receiver situation before the season starts then I just don't see how the offense will be what they need to get over the top this season.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

So why not a hand shake and a " Wes, thanks for the past 6 years, we are moving in a new direction. Good luck, lets not bad mouth each other while we part, and lets be professionals" 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Well the Pats clearly wanted him last year, since they franchised him.  The question remains whether they wanted him for more than one year and, if so, for how much. It's also unclear what Welker and his agent would really have settled for.  The agent is going to show his hand to a reporter while he's in negotiation. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

So why not a hand shake and a " Wes, thanks for the past 6 years, we are moving in a new direction. Good luck, lets not bad mouth each other while we part, and lets be professionals" 

In case Amendola started playing games with the contract he was offered. If he had, you may have seen them bring up Welker's offer to beat Denver's.

You act like they didn't offer him a generous 2 year deal last year or that they have to let Wes dictate their offseason strategies.

If I read Curran correctly, the agent denies that last year's reported offer ever occured. Who knows?

From the article:

The Patriots simply didn't want Welker is the contention. The two-year, $16 million offer the Boston Globe reported Welker having dangled during the 2010 season that would have covered Welker in 2011 and 2012 never happened, said Dunn.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Well the Pats clearly wanted him last year, since they franchised him.  The question remains whether they wanted him for more than one year and, if so, for how much. It's also unclear what Welker and his agent would really have settled for.  The agent is going to show his hand to a reporter while he's in negotiation. 

he dropped the SB. they counted it as a fluke and gave a year to prove himself. what did he do? drop another key playoff pass.... now he's a bronco.... 

Hahaha! 

How are those rose colored glasses!  Sure...It was all Welkers fault they lost the SB and the Ravens game!!  Cough, cough, wink, wink.  What a fool!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Dunn is lying. Absolutely lying. There is no way Kraft would be talkign to the press after Welker rejected the reported 16 million guranteed. Also, he had to have rejected the deal because NE decided to tag him instead which Welker said he was fine with ay the time. Again, his choice.

Now, Dunn is claiming the 16 mil guaranteed neveer happened? Please. I don't buy his lawyer speak for a second.

Dunn is a moron.

Did Kraft say that was the offer?  I remember it being reported, but I don't remember Kraft being the one who gave details.  Who knows.  Dunn, by the way, is a pretty experienced agent.  I think he knows what he's doing.  Here's his client list:

http://www.athletesfirst.net/clients/athletes/

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Anyway, if you scan through this you can see the timeline.  The extension he was offered was in the fall of 2011.  It was a great deal. It almost doubled his base and gauranteed him through 2013 here. Once he rejected it, I think BB was seriously considering moving on after 2012, which he just did.

Remember when people were making jokes about BB loading up on TEs?  Welker sealed his fate here by bad advice from Dunn and miscalculting the market.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2012/05/patriots_playing_mysterious_ga.html

4 Days later, it almost appeared Kraft was countering the perception NE is trying to stock it to Wes, which obviously isn't the case.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/05/kraft_it_takes.html

It's still not clear, though, what was really offered.  That's the problem with these things.  Unless you're in the room, you really don't know the truth.  If 16 million guaranteed for two years was the most the Pats offered, though, Welker and his agent probably were smart to take the franchise tag and try again this year when Welker at least had the opportunity to negotiate with other teams.  Last year, he was constrained by not being able to negotiate with anyone else.  

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In my opinion the Patriots were miffed Welker spurned their offer last year - they probably didn't like his age either. And Welker probably didn't like the offer he got this year (and I don't blame him). In the end this offense needs more than just Welker catching a million short passes - they need to spread the ball around and get better/younger on the outside. Hopefully Amendola will be able to be a litle more dynamic than Wes and hopefully we will get some guys that are smart and can run on the outside.

I'd be willing to bet Welker would NOT of accepted the same 2 year 12 million dollar deal that Denver offered him...and I don't blame him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

My reaction to what Dunn says is "so what?" So what if they didn't want him and wanted Amendola all along?  Is that something sinister?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Anyway, if you scan through this you can see the timeline.  The extension he was offered was in the fall of 2011.  It was a great deal. It almost doubled his base and gauranteed him through 2013 here. Once he rejected it, I think BB was seriously considering moving on after 2012, which he just did.

Remember when people were making jokes about BB loading up on TEs?  Welker sealed his fate here by bad advice from Dunn and miscalculting the market.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2012/05/patriots_playing_mysterious_ga.html

4 Days later, it almost appeared Kraft was countering the perception NE is trying to stock it to Wes, which obviously isn't the case.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/05/kraft_it_takes.html

It's still not clear, though, what was really offered.  That's the problem with these things.  Unless you're in the room, you really don't know the truth.  If 16 million guaranteed for two years was the most the Pats offered, though, Welker and his agent probably were smart to take the franchise tag and try again this year when Welker at least had the opportunity to negotiate with other teams.  Last year, he was constrained by not being able to negotiate with anyone else.  

I suppose, but you have multiple, consistent beatwriters having corrboration on the numbers.

We disagree. It wasn't smart because Denver can not bring him back or pay his bonus at the end of this year, so he'd only get 15.5 million over 2012 and 2013, and that doesn't count the incentives NE had in their offer.

Reiss said the incentives were things like catching 80 balls and things like that. Attainable things.

What I find interesting is the new info abou the 3 years, 24 million asking price this FA offseason. That shows you how out of it Dunn and Welker were.

You'd be correct if Welker got 8-10 million per from some team for 2-3 years.

I don't see where Welker turned down an offer that was much better than what he ended up with.  Yeah, he seems $500,000 short for 2011 and 2012, but that's a fairly insignificant difference and doesn't seem to be a big enough loss to make accepting the franchise tender and going back to the market in 2013 a mistake.  I think the agent (probably rightly) thought Welker (because of his age) would be more desirable in 2013 than in 2014 and therefore prefered to get to the competitive market earlier rather than later.  The franchise tag prevented them from getting to a competitive market in 2012, so the best they could do was accept the franchise tag and hope to get to the market this year. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

When all is said and "Dunn", the agent screwed up and will never admit to it.  We all recall Welker stating his "agent" is handling everything.  So, what has Dunn said and NOT said to Welker?  Only Dunn knows and the Patriots are too good of an organization to say anything negative.  It simply moves on.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts