Alabama RBs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Alabama RBs

Under Saban these guys seem to have injury problems in the NFL.  Ingram has had problems since day 1.  Richardson played through injury last season and I just read that he is injured again.  Lacy fell on draft day because of injury concerns and it isn't clear that he is healthy right now.  Coincidence?  Interested to hear people's thoughts on this and I thought it might be a neat offseason topic.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Alabama RBs

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Under Saban these guys seem to have injury problems in the NFL.  Ingram has had problems since day 1.  Richardson played through injury last season and I just read that he is injured again.  Lacy fell on draft day because of injury concerns and it isn't clear that he is healthy right now.  Coincidence?  Interested to hear people's thoughts on this and I thought it might be a neat offseason topic.

No it's not a coincidence. But it's not a slight to Bama, as much as I hate them. It's an SEC thing. A lot of these backs have a ton of miles on them. It's a real run first division for the most part, and the defenses are big and play NFL fast. 

Bama is the biggest offender because it seems they use less platoon runners and really let one guy carry most of the load. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Bama is the biggest offender because it seems they use less platoon runners and really let one guy carry most of the load. 

I won't pretend to follow CFB as much as you do, but my impression is that they do split carries.  Ingram/Richardson, Richardson/Lacy, Lacy/Yeldon.  Maybe not as much as LSU, but still not terrible and frankly I don't think I can name another college program that has as many RBs get signficant carries as LSU.  Am I wrong on this?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

The SEC is tough and these backs take a beating. As someone mentioned above, most of these backs have a lot of mileage. Ingram in particular was a workhorse until he started getting injured and they subbed for Richardson .   Alabama always has a great offensive line which helps some of these backs put up the big yards. Belichick made a very smart move to pass over Ingram and wait for Ridley. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I won't pretend to follow CFB as much as you do, but my impression is that they do split carries.  Ingram/Richardson, Richardson/Lacy, Lacy/Yeldon.  Maybe not as much as LSU, but still not terrible and frankly I don't think I can name another college program that has as many RBs get signficant carries as LSU.  Am I wrong on this?

Yeah, thy have one main guy, and then another guy who spells him. The constant is that one guy (like Ingram) can go through a full grind before he was out. You need to keep in mind that half the SEC teams are rushing for 2250-2500 yards as a team. 

And this isn't the BIG10 where that number is practically guaranteed. You don't see too many SEC runners nailing 1800 yards and getting drafted in the third round unless there is some kind of injury concern. 

I know the Vols have a platoon situation, but in general, most of the teams do (basically) what Bama does ...  one main guy one guy who spells him.

The comment has less to do with the style of rushing than the caliber of defense you see in the SEC. It's a defensive conference. Yards are earned harder and you pay a dearer price sometimes for carrying the ball. It's much more common to see NFL sized guys like 325 pound lineman and 260 lb linebackers than in other conferences. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

All three aren't exactly make you miss types - these are big physical pounders who are taking a lot of contact...it's probably bound to happen. Out of the three I think Richardson is by far the most talented and the guy who might have the longest career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Two things. It's not uncommon for college programs to use a heavily recruited feature back, thus, more tread on the tires by the time he gets to the NFL. Alabama has one of the best offensive lines I have seen in recent years (80s Nebraska Cornhuskers?) so why wouldn't they run the ball if they want to win. It could quite possibly be that the Tide overmatches some of their opponents in this regard, whereas, it's less likely you'll see a huge mismatch in AFC North. Also think that programs like Alabama have highly rated NFL prospects due in large part to the quality of opposition in the SEC and solid reputation. What I mean by this is that SEC players could be rated higher based largely on reputation. If you have a WR, for example, that produces 8 catches 120 yrds and 2 TDs against the DBs at LSU (known for very good DBs) scouts know that. It's part reputation, part heavily scouted players. Contrast that with whoever led the MAC in rushing. He'll get looks, but not as heavily as the from players reknowned programs. I still think the NFL will inevitably find you if you are great football player (Kurt Warner, Cameron Wake), but things are still weighted towards the big conferences. If a player can produce there he'll get looks from the pro scouts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

All three aren't exactly make you miss types - these are big physical pounders who are taking a lot of contact...it's probably bound to happen. Out of the three I think Richardson is by far the most talented and the guy who might have the longest career.

That's a significant factor too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Yeldon, will be a star in the NFL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Yeah, thy have one main guy, and then another guy who spells him. The constant is that one guy (like Ingram) can go through a full grind before he was out. You need to keep in mind that half the SEC teams are rushing for 2250-2500 yards as a team. 

And this isn't the BIG10 where that number is practically guaranteed. You don't see too many SEC runners nailing 1800 yards and getting drafted in the third round unless there is some kind of injury concern. 

I know the Vols have a platoon situation, but in general, most of the teams do (basically) what Bama does ...  one main guy one guy who spells him.

The comment has less to do with the style of rushing than the caliber of defense you see in the SEC. It's a defensive conference. Yards are earned harder and you pay a dearer price sometimes for carrying the ball. It's much more common to see NFL sized guys like 325 pound lineman and 260 lb linebackers than in other conferences. 

Fair enough.  Although I'm still not completely satisfied with this explanation.  I know the average RB has a pretty short career, but most of these guys had 1 or maybe 2 seasons at most where they were leaned on heavily.  In addition I can't believe more than half of the teams in the SEC have defenses with NFL caliber players at a lot of positions.  I guess what I'm saying is the implication of an argument like this is that these guys hadn't been leaned on in college they still would have broken down pretty early in their NFL careers (given how quickly the broke down from their workloads in college which are pretty standard NFL fare).  Do you not believe this is the case?  Is the age at which these guys take a pounding a factor?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

agree with Zbellino. Most 'bama backs have alot of miles on them by the time they make it to the NFL. And coming from the SEC those arent "highway miles" they are city driving in a busy city with horrible dirt roads! haha

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Fair enough.  Although I'm still not completely satisfied with this explanation.  I know the average RB has a pretty short career, but most of these guys had 1 or maybe 2 seasons at most where they were leaned on heavily.  In addition I can't believe more than half of the teams in the SEC have defenses with NFL caliber players at a lot of positions.  I guess what I'm saying is the implication of an argument like this is that these guys hadn't been leaned on in college they still would have broken down pretty early in their NFL careers (given how quickly the broke down from their workloads in college which are pretty standard NFL fare).  Do you not believe this is the case?  Is the age at which these guys take a pounding a factor?

The age is a factor. Also, the extreme competition in highschool football too. These guys are mostly converted Iron Men from highschool where they play both sides. 

So last spring I had three FB players, all three top 10 recruits at their positions. 

One was a QB (good luck with that at LSU buddy), another a WR, and a third an OT. 

The OT, who was from Chicago area, played only OT.

The other two who were from Louisiana and Georgia, played Iron Man football. The WR was a WR and Safety, the QB was a QB only.

A lot of "skill" guys who play WR and RB also play another position too. That is a lot of abuse early on. 

Also, not NFL caliber, but NFL size and dimension is just far more common. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The age is a factor. Also, the extreme competition in highschool football too. These guys are mostly converted Iron Men from highschool where they play both sides. 

So last spring I had three FB players, all three top 10 recruits at their positions. 

One was a QB (good luck with that at LSU buddy), another a WR, and a third an OT. 

The other two who were from Louisiana and Georgia, played Iron Man football. The WR was a WR and Safety, the QB was a QB only.

A lot of "skill" guys who play WR and RB also play another position too. That is a lot of abuse early on. 

Interesting perspective as always.  I guess I never gave the impact of high school football much of a thought.   My sense was that the top recruits just outclassed the heck out of most of the competition so they couldn't be taking that much of a pounding.  Perhaps I'm not giving the high schoolers enough credit.  As a coach do you think there should be any kind of limits on what kind of abuse these kids should be taking.  They are mostly not legal adults.  That definitely seems to be a bit more in the spotlight lately here in Chicago (where I live now) although I can't say I've followed the issue that closely.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Interesting perspective as always.  I guess I never gave the impact of high school football much of a thought.   My sense was that the top recruits just outclassed the heck out of most of the competition so they couldn't be taking that much of a pounding.  Perhaps I'm not giving the high schoolers enough credit.  As a coach do you think there should be any kind of limits on what kind of abuse these kids should be taking.  They are mostly not legal adults.  That definitely seems to be a bit more in the spotlight lately here in Chicago (where I live now) although I can't say I've followed the issue that closely.

I don't know how skill factors into it. I was only a mediocre high school athlete. 

But I have a couple of issues that are related to it, the big one is my back, which is now always out of line. I was hitting up the chiropractor at 16.

My doctor told me I should have surgery on it, which I cannot afford. It's not so bad anyhow, you just live with the occaisonal pain, but I'll have to get something done as I press into my 40s. 

At any rate, if I were good, and did play college -> pros ... I'm sure I would have had surgery years ago. Plus other inuries. 

Coaches? Certainly coaches shouldn't lean so much on a few kids, but that is how it is.

When it comes to monitoring injuries that are just health related (i.e., not an obvious type like a broken bone or torn ligament) it is a lot murkier. You don't have team doctors that ask all the time and are capable of spotting what a dinged player moves like. At that age a coach doesn't monitor his players that way either, nor can he really. A lot of injuries that hurt bad down the road start small, and aren't, in fact, a cataclysmic impact type affair.

It's up to the parents, who as they do with teachers, look at HS football like extended daycare. My parents were up on it, and even sat me for the second game I was supposed to ever start. It was terrible then, but I can't say I'd do it any different if it were my kid. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Sections
Shortcuts