Alex Brown Released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FranklynDR. Show FranklynDR's posts

Alex Brown Released

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/01/bears-announce-release-of-defensive-end-alex-brown/

I think this is a guy that the Patriots should go after... Some people said in an earlier discussion that Brown has never played in 3-4 and that he won't fit the system, but he is a veteran with tons of leadership qualities. He hits hard and can definitely play a positive role for the Patriots on the field and off.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Re: Alex Brown Released

i think he would be an interesting pick up however it would slow the progression of some of the younger players, maybe bring him in and use him as a backup/Plan B?  4-3 DE doesn't translate well into the 3-4 especially at his age though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

He is small for a DE in a 3-4.
     He was scedualed to make 5 mil this year.
    I would think he will want way to much money to play backup or situational.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mike Reiss said- "I haven't seen a lot of Brown, but my initial sense is that at 260 pounds, he wouldn't have the bulk they'd want at that spot. Seymour was 300-plus."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NovaScotiafan. Show NovaScotiafan's posts

He is too light for the Pats at DE and too heavy for OLB.

Rocky, BTW, I am pretty sure that quote is from Jeff Fisher coach of the Titans when the Super Bowl ended with them at the 1 yard line and no time left on the clock.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from krb1981. Show krb1981's posts

48 tkls  6 sacks. 6"3 260.  hmmmm. Big Willy was 6'5 270. this guy could work in the pats system.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

BB will pass I'm sure

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Alex Brown Released:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/01/bears-announce-release-of-defensive-end-alex-brown/ I think this is a guy that the Patriots should go after... Some people said in an earlier discussion that Brown has never played in 3-4 and that he won't fit the system, but he is a veteran with tons of leadership qualities. He hits hard and can definitely play a positive role for the Patriots on the field and off.
    Posted by FranklynDR

On the field? Perhaps.  Off the field?  Not in my opinion.  He chased my old girl friend down the highway to the Woodfield Mall parking lot in Schaumberg, IL, back when he arrived at Chicago.  He saw a piece he couldn't resist so he hit her up.  How randy do you have to be to chase a woman from the highway to a shopping mall? I would like to believe nothing happened, but I will never know for certain.  But I do know that he had a newborn kid and a stunning wife at the time.  I don't know about your values, but I would never cheat on a wife and think it would be doubly wrong to cheat on a wife with our newborn kid. The guy is a dog.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Alex Brown Released:
    48 tkls  6 sacks. 6"3 260.  hmmmm. Big Willy was 6'5 270. this guy could work in the pats system.
    Posted by krb1981

I don't follow your logic.

He produced those numbers as a defensive end in a 4-3 system where he was only asked to play one gap.

In the Pats' 3-4, he'd either be asked to play defensive end, for which he is undersized to handle the double teams that a 3-4 end is expected to draw and handle, or outside linebacker, for which he is somewhat oversized and at which he is completely inexperienced.  If he's been playing defensive end his whole career, how is he going to learn OLB techniques?  Chances are he's too stiff in the hips to help in coverage and would be strictly limited to rushing the passer.  

McGinnest spent most of his career being coached by Belichick's staff and being asked to perform a variety of functions, things that a defensive end in a Tampa 2 system are never asked to do (Tampa 2 DE's almost strictly play their gap, with rare stunts thrown in as changes of pace).

Stats in a a different system plus body type = nothing

I don't think he would sign anyway because he would have to be assured that his skills would be incorporated somehow - I don't see a fit at all.

Sections
Shortcuts