Alex Smith for Second Round pick + more

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Alex Smith for Second Round pick + more

2nd round pick is also top 2 in the second round, errily similar to the Cassel deal!

SF already had like 100 picks in this years draft. Good for them

Chiefs traded second-round pick, the second pick in the second round, to SF. Niners also got another conditional mid-round pick in 2014.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Alex Smith for Second Round pick + more

15 picks in 2013 to be exact. 

SF fans must be drooling

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to alfred-e-bob-neumier's comment:

I find it hard to believe that KC will be willing to pay both Smith and Cassel starting QB $$$ when they are attempting to rebuild...I wonder if Cassel willl be available if we move our #2...hope so!

Cassel will get cut. I think that became evident when Quinn began to start over him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Speculation is that the conditional pick in 2014 could be a first rounder. Wow, what robbery by the 49ers.

I like Alex Smith as a guy, but he played okay behind one of the best offensive lines in the game. Reid also doesn't like to run the ball, so Smith will probably be throwing more now too.

Let the Revis to 49ers talks intensify. 49ers could conceivably give up 4 picks for Revis and still have 11 left over.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

2nd this year and 2nd next year. That's about the value of a mid teen to very early 20's pick. Not bad value for Smith at all, esp considering he's really the only option in the market right now and there is no one in the draft. Mallett's value as a 2nd round pick might not be that far off after all

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

2nd this year and 2nd next year. That's about the value of a mid teen to very early 20's pick. Not bad value for Smith at all, esp considering he's really the only option in the market right now and there is no one in the draft. Mallett's value as a 2nd round pick might not be that far off after all

That is great value for a guy who has been a bust for about 6 seasons, and good for 1.5 seasons.

Here's the issue with Smith, I think he can be good for a GOOD team. From what I saw, the guy cannot bring his team back from a 2 score deficit. Unless the Chiefs turn their D around, it doesn't look like they'll be playing with a lead a lot.

Smith can play well with a lead because he's efficient and minimizes mistakes. Didn't it take the Chiefs half a season to get a lead in regulation?

This trade makes sense on the short term to try and stabilize the offense. But trading 2 seconds is a pretty steep price for a short term solution.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Niners have what 5 picks in first 3 rounds. Jezus. It might backfire if CK regresses, but this team is stacked for the foreseable future.

Chiefs draft Joekel?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I just looked at their draft order.  They've got amazing flexibility in this draft should they wish to move up in any round or rounds.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Read these Chiefs' fans reactions LOL:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270464

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

And people here think the Pats can get a first or second rounder for Mallet!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

SF fans must be drooling

What they have is a lot of "potential" for "trying" to focus on the few key guys they really want.

First, the team is already loaded. You have to be able to find players at positions that will make your team.

Two, even if they try and package stuff to move and get a guy they want, when they want, they have to have a willing dance partner.

Patriots fans do this all the time here. They say we should go get this guy or that guy in some round 3 through 7 and the guy they mention plays a position where the guys the Pats have might not be superstars but the guy they are suggesting to pick up has no better measurables or college level stats then the guys they already have on the roster had coming out of college.

Granted it is still an enviable drafting position of flexibility and potential to be in.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to AyyyBoston's comment:

Read these Chiefs' fans reactions LOL:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270464

My god their fans are so whiny. They want a SB in the snap of a finger and haven't paid for a legit coach there since Hank Stram or Marv Levy.

I get their frustration but when your best QB is Elvis Grbac since an old Montana or Len Dawson, I am pretty sure Smith is the 4th best QB they've seen there in the last 40 years at this point.

Don't change the coaching staff and give it 2-3 years. Some of these fanbases want this immediate winner and it just doesn't work that way.

I disagree with you. If anyone understands that it takes a while to build a winner, it's the Chiefs.

I think they understand Alex Smith isn't the savior, he's a short term solution. In that regard, it doesn't make sense to trade all of that for a stop-gap QB.

KC fans realize they need a franchise QB. If I'm a KC fan, I'm upset too. I would rather them use the picks to build the other parts of the team...and then when a franchise QB is within reach, maybe make a big trade to get that QB.

Instead, they traded potentially long term pieces, for a probably short term fixture...and I think most realistic Chief fans know that they probably aren't winning a Super Bowl in 2-3 years. Trading for Smith isn't a move to make the Chiefs good, it's just a move to prevent them from being terrible.

Best thing the Chiefs could have done, in my opinion, would have been to use those picks to build long term core player, brace myself for another bad season, and hope the QB crop is better next season.

Smith trade was more of a move to prevent Andy from getting fired after one season

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Eh, Rusty. Let's not forget Bill Kenney and his single 4,000 yrd season. This deal could work well for both teams IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

dapats1281: "15 picks in 2013 to be exact. 

SF fans must be drooling"

49ers do not have that many holes on the roster now, so many of the 15 picks for one year will likely be wasted. Look to them to trade some of the picks off to future years and spread out their numbers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

SF fans must be drooling

What they have is a lot of "potential" for "trying" to focus on the few key guys they really want.

First, the team is already loaded. You have to be able to find players at positions that will make your team.

Two, even if they try and package stuff to move and get a guy they want, when they want, they have to have a willing dance partner.

Patriots fans do this all the time here. They say we should go get this guy or that guy in some round 3 through 7 and the guy they mention plays a position where the guys the Pats have might not be superstars but the guy they are suggesting to pick up has no better measurables or college level stats then the guys they already have on the roster had coming out of college.

Granted it is still an enviable drafting position of flexibility and potential to be in.

All a draft pick ever is is "potential".

Here's how I see things for SF.

1. They are absolutely loaded. Not too many pressing needs except WR and DE depth. Yeah, they're DBs got a bit exposed in the playoffs, but I still think they have one of the better secondaries in the league.

2. This is a flat cap period, and most teams are tight when it comes to cap room. Draft picks are always valuable. They are even more valuable as teams will find themselves unable to afford FA's, and will opt to go for guys on their rookie contracts.

3. This is a deep draft. Which means they will get good value deeper into the draft. But it also means more teams are more likely to trade back because there are a lot of good players.

49ers can afford to trade up for picks in '14 draft (3rd round this year for 2nd round next year, etc), trade up in this years draft, or trade for veteran players.

I don't know what Revis' value is, but I can't imagine it would be high. His ACL injury and unreasonably high contract demands will probably prevent any team from giving up a high pick for Revis.

49ers are in a position where they could trade for a year of service for Revis without hurting their long term sustainability. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Why? What is so special about Geno Smith or Matt Barkley in 2013 as a QB of the future?

First they will be under team control for a lot longer meaning there is less pressure for them to start right away and gives them more time to evaluate the player before deciding whether or not to give an extension.

In addition I don't think you are correctly assessing the politics of trading a high pick that could have been used on a QB for a backup.  It doesn't matter that Mallett was once considered to have first round talent.  If a GM pays a significant price for the backup of another team and then that guy bombs he will be roasted by the fans and media.  Those are the kinds of decisions that can get you fired.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

And people here think the Pats can get a first or second rounder for Mallet!!

As opposed to Geno Smith for more money? What aren't you getting about a crappy 2013 draft class at QB and Mallett being a 1st rd projected pick in 2011? That was only 2 seasons ago.

In those 2 seasons, Mallett has learned in NE's complex system under BB and Brady. 

Geno Smith is a better option? Why? What is so special about Geno Smith or Matt Barkley in 2013 as a QB of the future?

Again, if Lombardi likes Mallett, which we know he does, doesn't like Weeden, which we know he doesn't, and picks 5-25 are the same quality in Rd 1 (per Mayock), then how is Lombardi getting his QB just by moving back and keep a 1st rder (NE's 29th), such a bad move?

It's actually a total no brainer if you are the Browns.  You could then turn and deal Weeden in a thin market, maybe get a 3rd back and just keep rolling right along with Mallett and some back up to push him in camp.

I am trying to figure out why people are acting like Mallett to the Browns is so far fetched. Or to the Cardinals in some kind of a package.

JaMarcus Russells was number 1 overall pick. Ryan Leaf was number 2. Vince Young was a number 3 pick. Mallett was a projected first round pick in the minds of the talking heads, where did he end up in real life?

Holding the clip board in NE does not necessarily enhance your ability as a player or trade value. Look at where Cassel, Hoyer, O'Connell, Gutierrez, Davey are now and what did the Pats get other than for Cassel (with Vrabel thrown in).

Just continue to hold your breath for a team to come to the Pats with a first or second offer for Mallett.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Look, KC's pick in the 2nd round is pick # 33, first pick in the second. Next years pick is protected for SF in that if KC has a poor season the they will surrender the early 2nd rounder again next year. If KC has a turn around season and is picking later in the rounds then they will surrender their 1st round pick next year as well.

So, it's 2 very high second round picks

or

1 very high 2nd round pick and 1 later 1st round pick.

And all this when SF had zero leverage as in a few weeks they would have had to make an 8 million dollar payoff to Smith and with Smith calling for his release AND with everyone in the league knowing Smith was not coming back to SF.

And Mallett ain't worth one second rounder?

Really....

Sections
Shortcuts