Alex Smith for Second Round pick + more

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Alex Smith for Second Round pick + more

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Look, KC's pick in the 2nd round is pick # 33, first pick in the second. Next years pick is protected for SF in that if KC has a poor season the they will surrender the early 2nd rounder again next year. If KC has a turn around season and is picking later in the rounds then they will surrender their 1st round pick next year as well.

So, it's 2 very high second round picks

or

1 very high 2nd round pick and 1 later 1st round pick.

And all this when SF had zero leverage as in a few weeks they would have had to make an 9 million dollar payoff to Smith and with Smith calling for his release AND with everyone in the league knowing Smith was not coming back to SF.

And Mallett ain't worth one second rounder?

Really....

while i agree mallett may be just as talented physically at the qb position as smith, there just hasnt been a big enough sample size imo for a team to give up a 2nd round pick for mallett.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Look, KC's pick in the 2nd round is pick # 33, first pick in the second. Next years pick is protected for SF in that if KC has a poor season the they will surrender the early 2nd rounder again next year. If KC has a turn around season and is picking later in the rounds then they will surrender their 1st round pick next year as well.

So, it's 2 very high second round picks

or

1 very high 2nd round pick and 1 later 1st round pick.

Where are you getting this info from?  I have seen nothing that indicates the 9ers are getting anything more than a 2nd rounder this year and a conditional mid round pick at best.  I find it hard to believe KC gave up 2 2nd rounders or a 2nd rounder and a 1st for Smith.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

So the Patriots made a bad pick with Mallett with a 3rd?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

So the Patriots made a bad pick with Mallett with a 3rd?

no, i like mallett. but i just dont think he has shown enough for a team to give a 2nd rounder away for him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

And people here think the Pats can get a first or second rounder for Mallet!!

And why not? Smith is a former 1st round talent who stunk for 6 years, had a average year in 11' with a great D, and had a good (not great) half year before being replaced by a rook with no experience and what the 49ers got back was the #34 pick and a possible 3rd next year or essentially a mid-late 20's pick worth of value. Mallett has 1st round talent, younger, and a much smaller contract. The difference is Mallett doesn't have that below average 6 years, 1 average year, and half a good year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Get Sirius Radio

Folks on KC sports lines are saying that SF insisted on next years pick having similar value. The pick next year must have similar value so it's going to be a late 1st rounder or an early second round pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Get Sirius Radio

Folks on KC sports lines are saying that SF insisted on next years pick having similar value. The pick next year must have similar value so it's going to be a late 1st rounder or an early second round pick.

I have been reading it is a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the chiefs win a certain number of games.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/2/27/4036544/alex-smith-trade-details-chiefs-draft-picks-49ers

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

GM's in football don't play with Monopoly Money. You want a QB, Pony up, even average is gonna cost ya.

I think Smith in 6 years was below average, so did San Fran.

Still, I'm not surprised at what he fetched.

Mallett is 24, 2 years left on a rookie deal, 3 rd pick with 1st round value. The so called stories against him were no different than the stories against half the kids in this years draft.

If the Patriots take a 3rd or less for Mallett then it was a mistake to draft him.

Is was not a mistake and the bank deposit has earned interest and he is worth a second all day long.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

GM's in football don't play with Monopoly Money. You want a QB, Pony up, even average is gonna cost ya.

Mallett is 24, 2 years left on a rookie deal, 3 rd pick with 1st round value. The so called stories against him were no different than the stories against half the kids in this years draft.

If the Patriots take a 3rd or less for Mallett then it was a mistake to draft him.

Is was not a mistake and the bank deposit has earned interest and he is worth a second all day long.

well i hope you're right, but i dont see anyone giving up a 2nd rounder for him. i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

15 picks in 2013 to be exact. 

SF fans must be drooling

FUDGE!!!!  That's a lot!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Get Sirius Radio

I have been reading it is a 3rd that becomes a 2nd if the chiefs win a certain number of games.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/2/27/4036544/alex-smith-trade-details-chiefs-draft-picks-49ers

We'll have to wait for the official trade to be announced as no one know for sure. The radio I was listening to said SF was insistent on next years pick having the same "value" as this years high second rounder.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Translation: Way too many which means they could trade picks for players that other teams can't afford.

That would mean they'd be a possible landing spot for Darrelle Revis. 

A lot of people have put this out there, but I don't see it.  They don't  have the space to pay him so it would have to be a one year rental.  I doubt they want to do that.  I think it makes more sense for them to aggressively move up in the draft or try and acquire future picks.  They could use another DT so that may be worth trading up for.  Their D really struggled once Justin Smith got injured.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

How many "below average" QBs win player of the week honors multiple times? Ludicrous. The guy had literally 6 different OCs his first 6 years.  You can't judge a draftee at the QB position with 5 or 6 differrent offenses and playbooks. They completely and totally mishandled the coaching staff situation. I think even the 49ers FO would admit that.

They were a mess.  That's his fault?  Can you even name the best WR he had when he was drafted? I can't.   They just got Crabtree, what 3 years ago?

It has nothing to do with it. They drafted Kaepernick, they think his style will work long term, so they're moving on.  I don't think that Pistol offense is a long term solution, as you probably know, but that's another discussion.

The last 2 years when Smith got stability in there, a better O Line, more weapons, etc, he was not "below average". Below average is the bottom 3rd of the league.

Just recently, people were claiming Flacco was "average". 

As for Mallett's value we agree. 

Well...I'm a firm believer in you are what you are. When you get a chance to drive the family car you better not screw it up.

Brady came in cold and led his team to the SB.

Smith came in and did nothing when he was handed the wheel. The OC ain't the one throwing the ball or running the offense.

Smith is average and will be another dissapointment in KC.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

well i hope you're right, but i dont see anyone giving up a 2nd rounder for him. i guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Hey, I'm also perfectly fine taking 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks that add up to a mid second round value. The Pats actually may be better off with this option anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Translation: Way too many which means they could trade picks for players that other teams can't afford.

That would mean they'd be a possible landing spot for Darrelle Revis. 

A lot of people have put this out there, but I don't see it.  They don't  have the space to pay him so it would have to be a one year rental.  I doubt they want to do that.  I think it makes more sense for them to aggressively move up in the draft or try and acquire future picks.  They could use another DT so that may be worth trading up for.  Their D really struggled once Justin Smith got injured.

A lot if people don't believe the jets could net anything more than a second rounder for Revis considering his injury and contract situation.

Considering Justin Smiths age and that Kaepernick is still at a cheap price, it wouldn't surprise if the 9ers traded a 2nd for one year of Revis

They could do that and significantly improve their chances for next season. And it wouldn't kill them long term because they would still have 14 picks left over.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

San Fran will take a page from BB play book. Some of their picks will be traded for future picks. San Fran looks to be in the cat birds seat going forward thats for sure.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Jeez I hope this doesn't affect our future trade with Cleveland for their 6th pick for Mallett - especially considering Alex Smith is better than Brady and a former number one overrall pick. Bawahahaha!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Smith isn't worth what the chiefs gave up, but they were somewhat desperate. Being the draft is thin at QB, what choice did they have if they want to give the impression they are turning thing around? Not much .

mallett and his worth could be a 2nd or it could be multiple mid round picks. I think if the pats deal mallett, it would be for a 3rd and some conditional pick in 2014. Maybe another 3rd. Is that worth trading him? Given the pats needs and depth of this draft in the pats areas of need, I would say yes. They could potentially end up with an early 3rd this year and next. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Jeez I hope this doesn't affect our future trade with Cleveland for their 6th pick for Mallett - especially considering Alex Smith is better than Brady and a former number one overrall pick. Bawahahaha!

You said it, I didn't. Leave it to you to think Alex Smith is better than Brady. lol

LOL!

Sections
Shortcuts