Alfonzo Dennard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

Alfonzo Dennard

I almost feel more confident with his tackling/coverage skills then Talib on the other side. He makes plays constantly with nice pass breakups and is good at bringing the reciever down right after the catch is made. He plays with high intensity which was lacking the past few years in our secondary.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Alfonzo Dennard

He was given a starting role when Talib came in. You could argue he's been better (though to be fair he's had more safety help). 

At any rate ... statistically .... it's vastly improved the defense getting McCourty and Arrington out of there. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He was given a starting role when Talib came in. You could argue he's been better (though to be fair he's had more safety help). 

At any rate ... statistically .... it's vastly improved the defense getting McCourty and Arrington out of there. 

[/QUOTE]

Lets be accurate about al this. First of all McCourty has been "outa there" by playing well at FS. Second, the pass rush, due to a whole lot more blitzing, has made a big big.. and did I say big difference. SO while I like Talib and Dennard a bit more and I like McCourty at FS it is not simply about McCourty and Arrington being outa there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lets be accurate about al this. First of all McCourty has been "outa there" by playing well at FS. Second, the pass rush, due to a whole lot more blitzing, has made a big big.. and did I say big difference. SO while I like Talib and Dennard a bit more and I like McCourty at FS it is not simply about McCourty and Arrington being outa there.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, it helps not having Arrington play on the outside. Guy is not very good there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

Better secondary makes D-line look good, and vice-versa. It goes both ways and the blitzing more is caused by BB and Patricia feeling much more comfortable doing so with the guys in our secondary

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I always liked Dennard from back when he was at Nebraska. He's got first round talent and makes the secondary much much better. His first game when they stuck him out against Denver Manning went after him right away and Dennard made the play every time. For the first time in a long time we saw a Patriots corner turn around and look for the ball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First of all McCourty has been "outa there" by playing well at FS.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we knew that.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to leatherhelmet's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Arrington had a facemask on Tannehill that wasn't called and was burnt only to dodge a bullet on the rookies underthrown ball. He blows........everyone else...BIG IMPROVEMENT

[/QUOTE]

Marquice Cole is the best slot CB we have, but Belichick's pride won't allow him to make the switch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

In response to sporter81's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I always liked Dennard from back when he was at Nebraska. He's got first round talent and makes the secondary much much better. His first game when they stuck him out against Denver Manning went after him right away and Dennard made the play every time. For the first time in a long time we saw a Patriots corner turn around and look for the ball. 

[/QUOTE]

yes

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to In_BB_We_Trust's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Better secondary makes D-line look good, and vice-versa. It goes both ways and the blitzing more is caused by BB and Patricia feeling much more comfortable doing so with the guys in our secondary

[/QUOTE]

Ditto. IT's probably why they started throwing the kitchen sink a lot more often ... they have more faith in Talib and Dennard. 

DMC is ok at safety ... I won't pretend he was good at corner. H311 even his interceptions came on passes where he was beaten (one real bad) and the QB just underthrew it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from In_BB_We_Trust. Show In_BB_We_Trust's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to In_BB_We_Trust's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ditto. IT's probably why they started throwing the kitchen sink a lot more often ... they have more faith in Talib and Dennard. 

DMC is ok at safety ... I won't pretend he was good at corner. H311 even his interceptions came on passes where he was beaten (one real bad) and the QB just underthrew it.

[/QUOTE]

haha yea that was his signature move

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Dennard plays like his life depends on it - guy competes like hell on every play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dennard plays like his life depends on it - guy competes like hell on every play.

[/QUOTE]

A tiny bit like a previous number 37 Pats had at safety.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The kid's done well...His body type reminds me of Ty Law...quick feet, fluid hips and the ability to close and tackle in the open field...What's not to like.

That said with He and Talib on the outside it allows McCourty to play FS and moves Arington into the inside where he's better suited to play. In watching them play on Sunday vs Miami. I saw some good things but also with the new additions. The entire secondary is still a work in progress. Talib in particular needs to continue to learn the nuances of the defenses zone disiplines. The question that remains un-answered is will they improve as a unit or regress. We shall see on Monday night against the Texans and each game thereafter...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Against the Jets the safety was not favouring Talib or Dennard and just playing the pass. Dennard got targeted repeatedly. Against the Dolphins Pats adjusted to have the safety always favour towards Dennard to give him more help. So Talib got targetted a lot more and infact there was more confusion since 3-4 times Talib thought he had help from safety over the top but the safety was out of position since he was protecting Dennard more. Luckily some easy catches were missed by the Dolphin WRs in these situations (and 1 was made).

But Talib was definitely targetted a lot more and Dennard a lot less when Safety was helping Dennard. I think having a balance or atleast better communication between these guys is essential. If the safety has been told to help Dennard then Talib should be aware and not let the WR release expecting safety help when the safety could be too far out of position etc. 

Clearly as a group they are all still settling into the new roles but the Dennard (R Corner), McCourty (SS), Gregory/Wilson (FS), Talib (L Corner) combo with Arrington in slot is a lot better than than the Arrington/Cole (R Corner), Gregory/Wilson (FS), Chung (SS), McCourty (L Corner) with Cole/Wilson/Dennard in slot that we were doing earlier.

Sections
Shortcuts