All in for 2013!

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: All in for 2013!

In response to RockScully's comment:

Focus on Irrationals and Trolls.

You're the only one who thinks this is a competition, methinks you should focus on them less.  

Ironically you call them teenagers but the only one calling people names is you, the very definition of immature.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Babe (and nobody else),

If it's easy to be successful with a hall of fame QB, then why did Dan Marino and Fran Tarkenton, statistically the two best QB's to ever play the game never win a championship.  Until you can answer that there is no moving forward with that arguement.  And don't tell me it's because Don Shula and Norm Van Brocklin couldn't coach...

bump

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Right they could ban one and I would be happy...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

Half the time they complain that we take the character guy over the pure talent. Well the Pats took the better talent athlete. Let's not have revistionist history here. I do not know too many people who were not psyched about drafting Jackson "at the time". I was! He was a beast. I had no idea he was lazy. Which is what came out WAY later via a Troy Brown interview. He aparently did not want to put in thw work but on pure talent and ability alone you would never have questioned that pick "at the time". He was big, fast, strong, and never dropped a thing. People can't have it both ways. Can't complain we do not go for the talented guys then cry about it when they turn out to not have been worth the gamble on the character concerns.

This is all moot. Either the player was a good pick or he wasn't. The details are insignificant. It matters not one iota if a fan thinks the pick or the reasoning behind the pick was good. All that matters is if the pick was actually good as a reflection of the performance of the one actually doing the picking.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Half the time they complain that we take the character guy over the pure talent. Well the Pats took the better talent athlete. Let's not have revistionist history here. I do not know too many people who were not psyched about drafting Jackson "at the time". I was! He was a beast. I had no idea he was lazy. Which is what came out WAY later via a Troy Brown interview. He aparently did not want to put in thw work but on pure talent and ability alone you would never have questioned that pick "at the time". He was big, fast, strong, and never dropped a thing. People can't have it both ways. Can't complain we do not go for the talented guys then cry about it when they turn out to not have been worth the gamble on the character concerns.

This is all moot. Either the player was a good pick or he wasn't. The details are insignificant. It matters not one iota if a fan thinks the pick or the reasoning behind the pick was good. All that matters is if the pick was actually good as a reflection of the performance of the one actually doing the picking.

Not as far as evaluating the person responsible goes.

If you use that logic then you should be saying today that Joe Flacco is the best QB in the NFL and NOT TB.

Same thing. The circumstances are irrelevent you say. WHo had more TD's and less INT's in the post season? Who has the SB ring and super bowl MVP?

Nothing else matters right?

You can't have it both ways. I take TB but then I try to be consistent in my logic and take into account the whole picture when evaluating the player  or coach or GM etc.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Another thing that is an absolute joke that people do AND combine it with the argument trait I spoke of above is talking about missing on a player in the 3rd round or later that ends up being a stud. Picking Tom Brady was pure luck but somehow not picking Bowman over Price was some sort of egregious mistake.

A 3rd round pick is VASTLY more accountable for than a 6th round pick. In the 3rd round you are still looking at the top 100 players. It is still well entrenched in the realm of needing sound judgement. By the 6th round it is almost completely a crap shoot.

I certainly wouldn't criticize any GM for a poor 6th round pick, just as I wouldn't credit him for a great one.

The top 3 rounds (possibly 4) can be scrutinized as a measure of drafting skill. Beyond that it becomes a big stretch to give a thumbs up or down on the results as a measure of the caliber of the decision maker.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In 2010, BB started 4 rookies on D, 2 on offense and it was beyond clear going into the lockout what the approach was.

Of course he started rookies on D in 2010 dumbkoff. He had just blown SEVEN high draft picks on defense in the previous 3 years!

Meriweather, Crable, Wheatley, McKenzie, Butler, Brace and Chung.

Junior, please at least put up a fight here. Debating you on BB's great team building is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Wow, I forgot about some of those names...painfull to see. I think it's funny how Rusty goes on and on about how San Fran has  built their defense upon ten years of their top ten picks...very far from the truth. In fact the only top ten pick of theirs is Aldon Smith. Bowman was a third rounder. Justin Smith was a free agent signing. Dashon Goldson was a fourth round pick. Donte Wittner was a free agent signing. Ahmad Brooks was a free agent signing and a guy that went in the supplemental draft to Cincy. The only guy that was near a "top ten pick" was the best middle linebacker in the NFL, Patrick Willis at 11. San FRan is a perfect example of a defense built through multiple resources available to any team...draft, free agency, trades. And take a look at Baltimore's defense - now there's a defense built on the draft and none of them were "top ten picks".

Aside from the draft busts you mention - the free agent busts are even worse...Haynesworth, Gregory, Springs, Bodden, Fenene, Ellis, Banta Cain...we spent millions on these dopes...they did nothing to help. What are the total contract values in those names? 50 million? How much of that fifty million worked out for us? None. Money and resources wasted.

BB has just not gotten it done as GM. It's not that he has been terrible (except on D picks and some real dog FAs) but average or above average means you have an 8-8 team. Brady and no other stud QB in the division mitigates that but he alone can't carry that mediocrity to the promised land.

More and more people are seeing what a few of us have seen for years. Sad but true. The genius coach is sure as hell not a genius GM.

The party is just about over. I'm afraid unless BB gets very lucky we won't see a Lombardi before Brady hangs them up. Kraft shows no signs of bringing in somebody who can make better personnel decisions. And I doubt BB's ego would put up with that either.

Let's hope for a miracle.

Its definately time for BB to get a draft consultant in regards to WRs and DBs. 2 positions that he has def. failed at and it has nothing to do with WHERE we were drafting because I can site a player for everyone drafted that I had on my list that went AFTER we picked. The most glaring being Jackons over Jennings that set us back. More recently we picked Taylor Price over Navarro Bowman....lol

Explain that away Wozzy....

What are you even talking about? I can't say that you have done this before because I have no idea but people often want to talk out both sides of their face. Half the time they complain that we take the character guy over the pure talent. Well the Pats took the better talent athlete. Let's not have revistionist history here. I do not know too many people who were not psyched about drafting Jackson "at the time". I was! He was a beast. I had no idea he was lazy. Which is what came out WAY later via a Troy Brown interview. He aparently did not want to put in thw work but on pure talent and ability alone you would never have questioned that pick "at the time". He was big, fast, strong, and never dropped a thing. People can't have it both ways. Can't complain we do not go for the talented guys then cry about it when they turn out to not have been worth the gamble on the character concerns.

Another thing that is an absolute joke that people do AND combine it with the argument trait I spoke of above is talking about missing on a player in the 3rd round or later that ends up being a stud. Picking Tom Brady was pure luck but somehow not picking Bowman over Price was some sort of egregious mistake. Every other team in the league passed on Bowman 3 times practically. If they thought he'd play like he apparently has then he would have gone in the 1st not the 3rd. The team picking him got as lucky as the Pats did picking Brady. Also, you would not even make that argument if the Pats are looking for a WR in that range they are not looking for a LB in that spot. You would need to go look for some other WR that got picked after price who is some sort of stud. Then you would still be left with the idea that they got lucky because if everyone knew he was a stud he would not be going at the "end" of the 3rd round.

Lastly everyone always wants to assume that because a player plays well for some other team in their system and role that the same player would have exactly the same success playing in the patriots system and role he would be given by the team. It does NOT work that way.

Your arguments are misguided and off base at best. Most people do NOT add any context to everything going on in an organization at the time a decision is made on a player. What systems they are running, who is currently on the roster, what is the cap/mponey situation of the players on the roster. Is a particular position group aging. How many players are still on the board for the pistion group you are looking to add to as well as what is the disparity to your own organizational rankings of those remaining players. Time to impact of drafting a particular player. Etc, etc.

I guess you missed the part where I said BB cant take fault for Jackson cuz he looked the part and also recieved  a good recomendation from Meyers.. Gosh dont u people READ before you snap back with a response. Long winded at that. Sorry I stopped after the 1st paragraph.  If u have THAT much to say, its probably spin

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Another thing that is an absolute joke that people do AND combine it with the argument trait I spoke of above is talking about missing on a player in the 3rd round or later that ends up being a stud. Picking Tom Brady was pure luck but somehow not picking Bowman over Price was some sort of egregious mistake.

A 3rd round pick is VASTLY more accountable for than a 6th round pick. In the 3rd round you are still looking at the top 100 players. It is still well entrenched in the realm of needing sound judgement. By the 6th round it is almost completely a crap shoot.

I certainly wouldn't criticize any GM for a poor 6th round pick, just as I wouldn't credit him for a great one.

The top 3 rounds (possibly 4) can be scrutinized as a measure of drafting skill. Beyond that it becomes a big stretch to give a thumbs up or down on the results as a measure of the caliber of the decision maker.

In some drafts I  could see a reasonable argument. There have been PLENTY of drafts however that barely have players that produced studs or starters that barely filled 2 rounds. ...and they did not all come out of the top 3 rounds.

Plus we are talking studs in my statement as the person just cherry picked a certain player that happend to be a lucky find.

It also does not change the fact that if every team knew a guy was a stud that they would not have let that player go till the end of the 3rd round. 13 other LB's were selected before Bowman. I am sure the team did not think it was a throw a dart pick but there is no way they were certain of what they had either.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

This is garbage, pre-draft rankings mean nothing compared to the draft board of actual NFL teams and professionals.  Not for nothing but Mel Kiper's pre-draft picks hold no more weight to actual NFL war rooms than mine or yours; he never played, coached or worked as a GM.  His only claim to fame was he tracked measurables before the internet made them readily available to us.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In 2010, BB started 4 rookies on D, 2 on offense and it was beyond clear going into the lockout what the approach was.

Of course he started rookies on D in 2010 dumbkoff. He had just blown SEVEN high draft picks on defense in the previous 3 years!

Junior, please at least put up a fight here. Debating you on BB's great team building is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Wow, I forgot about some of those names...painfull to see. I think it's funny how Rusty goes on and on about how San Fran has  built their defense upon ten years of their top ten picks...very far from the truth. In fact the only top ten pick of theirs is Aldon Smith. Bowman was a third rounder. Justin Smith was a free agent signing. Dashon Goldson was a fourth round pick. Donte Wittner was a free agent signing. Ahmad Brooks was a free agent signing and a guy that went in the supplemental draft to Cincy. The only guy that was near a "top ten pick" was the best middle linebacker in the NFL, Patrick Willis at 11. San FRan is a perfect example of a defense built through multiple resources available to any team...draft, free agency, trades. And take a look at Baltimore's defense - now there's a defense built on the draft and none of them were "top ten picks".

Aside from the draft busts you mention - the free agent busts are even worse...Haynesworth, Gregory, Springs, Bodden, Fenene, Ellis, Banta Cain...we spent millions on these dopes...they did nothing to help. What are the total contract values in those names? 50 million? How much of that fifty million worked out for us? None. Money and resources wasted.

BB has just not gotten it done as GM. It's not that he has been terrible (except on D picks and some real dog FAs) but average or above average means you have an 8-8 team. Brady and no other stud QB in the division mitigates that but he alone can't carry that mediocrity to the promised land.

More and more people are seeing what a few of us have seen for years. Sad but true. The genius coach is sure as hell not a genius GM.

The party is just about over. I'm afraid unless BB gets very lucky we won't see a Lombardi before Brady hangs them up. Kraft shows no signs of bringing in somebody who can make better personnel decisions. And I doubt BB's ego would put up with that either.

Its definately time for BB to get a draft consultant in regards to WRs and DBs. 2 positions that he has def. failed at and it has nothing to do with WHERE we were drafting because I can site a player for everyone drafted that I had on my list that went AFTER we picked. The most glaring being Jackons over Jennings that set us back. More recently we picked Taylor Price over Navarro Bowman....lol

What are you even talking about? I can't say that you have done this before because I have no idea but people often want to talk out both sides of their face. Half the time they complain that we take the character guy over the pure talent. Well the Pats took the better talent athlete. Let's not have revistionist history here. I do not know too many people who were not psyched about drafting Jackson "at the time". I was! He was a beast. I had no idea he was lazy. Which is what came out WAY later via a Troy Brown interview. He aparently did not want to put in thw work but on pure talent and ability alone you would never have questioned that pick "at the time". He was big, fast, strong, and never dropped a thing. People can't have it both ways. Can't complain we do not go for the talented guys then cry about it when they turn out to not have been worth the gamble on the character concerns.

Another thing that is an absolute joke that people do AND combine it with the argument trait I spoke of above is talking about missing on a player in the 3rd round or later that ends up being a stud. Picking Tom Brady was pure luck but somehow not picking Bowman over Price was some sort of egregious mistake. Every other team in the league passed on Bowman 3 times practically. If they thought he'd play like he apparently has then he would have gone in the 1st not the 3rd. The team picking him got as lucky as the Pats did picking Brady. Also, you would not even make that argument if the Pats are looking for a WR in that range they are not looking for a LB in that spot. You would need to go look for some other WR that got picked after price who is some sort of stud. Then you would still be left with the idea that they got lucky because if everyone knew he was a stud he would not be going at the "end" of the 3rd round.

Lastly everyone always wants to assume that because a player plays well for some other team in their system and role that the same player would have exactly the same success playing in the patriots system and role he would be given by the team. It does NOT work that way.

Your arguments are misguided and off base at best. Most people do NOT add any context to everything going on in an organization at the time a decision is made on a player. What systems they are running, who is currently on the roster, what is the cap/mponey situation of the players on the roster. Is a particular position group aging. How many players are still on the board for the pistion group you are looking to add to as well as what is the disparity to your own organizational rankings of those remaining players. Time to impact of drafting a particular player. Etc, etc.

I guess you missed the part where I said BB cant take fault for Jackson cuz he looked the part and also recieved  a good recomendation from Meyers.. Gosh dont u people READ before you snap back with a response. Long winded at that. Sorry I stopped after the 1st paragraph.  If u have THAT much to say, its probably spin

Apologies, I did not go back to the beginning of your entire conversation with who ever you were speaking to. I wrote in response to only what you wrote last.

...but if you previously wrote it not being an issue because he looked the part why then go back and use it as an example of not being able to evaluate talent? odd. One minute its not an example and then the next it is? I would still say I am not sure what you are trying to say exactly.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Babe,

If it's easy to be successful with a hall of fame QB, then why did Dan Marino and Fran Tarkenton, statistically the two best QB's to ever play the game never win a championship.  Until you can answer that there is no moving forward with that arguement.  And don't tell me it's because Don Shula and Norm Van Brocklin couldn't coach...

Anyone, anyone...  Bueller, Bueller?

"crickets chirping"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Babe (and nobody else),

bump

Marino averaged 20 INTs a season in his first 6 years. He put up big numbers but also had big negatives with a 3/2 TD/INT ratio. (Meanwhile a guy like Montana was throwing half as many picks- and a 2/1 ratio). After that he reduced his turnover ratio but the Dolphin D by then was not often very good.

Tarkenton was a turnover machine. He threw 32 INTs in a single season. He is in the Hall based on career totals and an uncanny scrambling ability. That's it.

The great QBs who have championships for the most part are the ones who could put up numbers, take care of the ball and had a decent defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In some drafts I  could see a reasonable argument. There have been PLENTY of drafts however that barely have players that produced studs or starters that barely filled 2 rounds. ...and they did not all come out of the top 3 rounds.

Plus we are talking studs in my statement as the person just cherry picked a certain player that happend to be a lucky find.

It also does not change the fact that if every team knew a guy was a stud that they would not have let that player go till the end of the 3rd round. 13 other LB's were selected before Bowman. I am sure the team did not think it was a throw a dart pick but there is no way they were certain of what they had either.

I was just speaking in general terms, and not to your specific point.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Apologies, I did not go back to the beginning of your entire conversation with who ever you were speaking to. I wrote in response to only what you wrote last.

...but if you previously wrote it not being an issue because he looked the part why then go back and use it as an example of not being able to evaluate talent? odd. One minute its not an example and then the next it is? I would still say I am not sure what you are trying to say exactly.

Its called doing your JOB as BB sais. Do your do dilligence and SCOUT players instead of taking some fluffed up analysis from a guy who would NEVER give a bad evaluation about his players. James Sanders came from Fresno St. Recommended. He played a role here, that was nice. Its a 5th rd pick so no complaints from me but how many schools are involved in this process? how much talent do you lose out on by going to fresno st and picking players from your buddies system? I said he wasnt at fault for Jackson S*cking but he WAS at fault for beleiving Meyers without doing his own research and also had him in and supposedly raved about him so he MISSED something, no?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

High draft picks (especially before the current CBA with its rookie salary scale) and big FA signings are high-risk, high-reward strategies.  If they pan out, they can make you a great team.  If they fail, they can lock you up for years in salary cap hell, limiting your ability to make necessary moves and improve your team. 

Belichick's approach so far has been dictated by several facts. First, as a team that finishes high almost every year (and has also had to pay significant draft pick compensation for spygate and Belichick's own signing), pursuing the "draft-and-sign-stars" strategy has been less feasible for the Pats because we just don't have the best picks to work with. Given that, Belichick has taken a more conservative approach, which involves increasing the number of picks we have by trading down and keeping lots of cap space open to move mid-level free agents in and out.  He has signed a few big deals (Brady, Wilfork, Mankins), but mostly with players who are relatively safe because they've proven their value in his schemes already.  The rest of the roster is in constant transformation with different guys being brought in to fill needs; and the schemes employed each year are also constantly adjusted to match the available players. 

This strategy has produced a contending team for over a decade--an unheard of feat and Belichick deserves credit for it.  But like any approach, there are trade offs, and the approach has its weakneses.  Most important, it tends to produce a team with a lot of players who are solid but not great.  And if enough "hidden gems" aren't found among the lower draft picks, there can be a lot of busts among those picks.  The best teams have lots of young players--not just because young guys are in peak condition, but because they tend to be cheaper than good veterans so you can have more of them on your team without running into cap problems.  If you fail to get enough good young players in the draft, though, you are forced to build through free agency which is very difficult given the cost of good free agents and the cap. Busts like Butler and Tate do hurt.  And while they are in part compensated for by the Vollmers of the world, we still have had real trouble building talent at certain positions and remain weak at those positions. 

At this point, I think the Pats do need a few key quality signings (corner, WR, right tackle, and maybe safety, DL, and G/C) to get over the hump.  If I were Belichick, I'd go for quality more than quantity at a few key positions, then try to bring in lots of UDFAs, CFL players, and others to try to find some hidden gems to build depth.  But getting a top corner, WR, and right tackle (either in the draft or through free agency) all seem critical to me if we're going to contend for a Championship next year. 

better add pass rush or team aint getting far. seen tyhe pas rush against  a team like the ravens? like high schoolers against college players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dwhite1220's comment:

This thread has devolved into another anti-Belichick screed...

It is impossible to field a winning team every year, be in the Super Bowl or one game from it, and also be a bad GM.      Impossible.

Anyone saying this is no better than the jackazzs who say Brady is no good.  Show me a GM that hits on as many draft picks and undrafted free agents with the continued success of Belichick nevermind better than him?  You can't, so don't bother.

You all realize that Belichick is picking from the bottom of the draft right, that's because he wins.  Nobody hits on all their picks except the experts here who make their picks two years in hindsight.  

What this team needs is a defensive tackle from the top of the 1st round in the next draft because big three hundred pound tackles can't be found outside the first round.  "All in" in New England means packaging some picks to move up in the 1st round which is what BB did last year with Jones and Hightower, both of whom will be solid players for years to come barring injury. 

Baltimore picks from the bottom every year and they do well. FA's have been excellant and John Harbaugh may be a better coach than BB at this time.BB was out coached in the AFC game weith out a doubt. BB coached scared!!

i had the same thoughts during sb. who is a better gm ozzie or bb? its a good questiion

who is a better coach right now, jim h, john h  or bb?  it's another good question

comparing offensive coordinators, dont even ask.