All the haters of our defense...

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Re: All the haters of our defense...

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense...:
    Saints 5 turnovers = Saints D gassed and lit up. Yep. Don't think for a second Brees's recklessness on the road didn't hurt his D. Also, don't think for a second Alex Smith;s ball control style doesn't HELP his D. YEP. It's over, trolls and irrationals. It's all over. lol
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII

I like what you said about Brady throwing 35 times and winning because Drew Brees threw it over 60 times and lost.  Good call, dude.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : Glad I could give you a chuckle, like so many you and others gave me over the season predicting gloom and doom for our terrible defense. All season I suggested BB was saving his D tackles for the post season, this isn't something I came up with after one playoff win, others here will attest to that I've been saying this all season.   And like a few others here I don't subscribe to fantasy stats as the end all be all, you don't get points for gaining a lot of yards.   If you feel a tad bit foolish because the defense held the Broncos to one TD, held the #1 rushing team in the league to 3 yards a carry, probably set a playoff record for stops in the backfield, sacked Tebow 5 times and intercepted him once looking otherwise dominant exclusively running a 3/4 base defense don't feel bad you are not alone. You were probably one of the lemmings parroting the national media and other posters all season about BB changing to a 4/3 defense, all the while I insisted he wouldn't.  I know it smarts when you're wrong, but I wasn't thinking of you when I initiated this thread, try not taking it personally.   As far as the rest of the post season goes, if the Pats run the ball and stay unpredictable on offense then we won't lose to anyone.  If we lose it will be because we passed 50 times, got sacked 5 and intercepted 3 times... that's not a prediction just a trend.   I have had San Francisco meeting them in the Super Bowl since before the playoffs began, though it won't surprise me if Green Bay gets there but then I don't claim to be an expert on anything, I just post my thoughts, try not to attack genuine Pats fans and admit when I'm wrong, something you should try and emulate.  I sincerely hope that makes you laugh as well, I love spreading joy...
    Posted by wozzy

Wow, I'm late to the party but I'll start by saying, "Nice Retort Sir" Anybody here trying to take away from what the defense(and the offense) just did must be trying to back up previous comments...as in they have an agenda.

This team looks like the most complete team left in the playoffs. It is not a coincidence we had one of our best defensive games of the year in our first post season game. We have talent, we have the best coach, and we have the best QB. If we can limit our own turnovers I believe we will win the big game this year.

A glorious time for the empire. Go Pats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

What we saw from Ellis is  akin to what he did to us in the playoff game last year and the reason they wanted him......

Spikes gets his nasty up and keeps it there he will be a huge asset for the remainder of this campaign....

Chung is Chung and he's been playing this way since he was a Duck.  Only now he's way better....Human missle....

Can't wait to play Baltimore....
    I think it's gonna be Blatimore anyway...

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^ Yeah a lot of hostility on this thread Russ( and I see your right in the middle of it again brother Surprised)

We should all be happy. Brady absolutely destroyed a very good defense. We looked like a well oiled machine on offense. Same for the other side, The defense executed a perfect game plan, I personally think Baltimore and Houston are very close in terms of offensive skill sets as the Broncos. I think our defense will continue to play well going forward by limiting a strong run game and taking advantage of playing with a lead.

I like Prolate but absolutely disagree with him on the talent level of our offense. We have as many weapons as any offense in the league, We just don't get the chance to utilize that talent because Gronk/WW/Hern cannot be stopped.

What a great way to start the post season. Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joerock22. Show joerock22's posts

I'm with the "let's not get too excited" people.  Yes, they were great.  They reminded me of the Patriots defense of the super bowl years.  The front seven stuffing the run, and flying all over the field and making playes. 

But let's be real.  The scheme worked because the Pats were able to contain the run with only their front seven.  They didn't have to sell out like the Steelers did.  Several times, however, the commentators mentioned short and intermediate routes that were open that Tebow failed to find.  A better passing QB would have found those receivers.  And of course those short completions often open the door for the deep throws. 

So I'm hopeful, but let's not get too excited about the Pats defense until we see them in action against a real NFL offense. 

On a side note, I think it's ridiculous that people post knocking the people who have criticized the Pats defense.  A whole season of mediocrity (at best), and people want to slam the "haters" after one game.  ONE GAME?!  I honestly hope you guys were right all along about the D, but the initial posters on this thread are just being foolish. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

I'm with the "let's not get too excited" people.  Yes, they were great.  They reminded me of the Patriots defense of the super bowl years.  The front seven stuffing the run, and flying all over the field and making playes.  But let's be real.  The scheme worked because the Pats were able to contain the run with only their front seven.  They didn't have to sell out like the Steelers did.  Several times, however, the commentators mentioned short and intermediate routes that were open that Tebow failed to find.  A better passing QB would have found those receivers.  And of course those short completions often open the door for the deep throws.  So I'm hopeful, but let's not get too excited about the Pats defense until we see them in action against a real NFL offense.  On a side note, I think it's ridiculous that people post knocking the people who have criticized the Pats defense.  A whole season of mediocrity (at best), and people want to slam the "haters" after one game.  ONE GAME?!  I honestly hope you guys were right all along about the D, but the initial posters on this thread are just being foolish. 
    Posted by joerock22

Agree with this post - really excited about what I saw last night - and I also like the D's chances against the Ravens(based on how the game is going now) as the Ravens will want to run and the Pats D looks very capable of stopping it - Flacco alone cannot beat the Pats in my opinion

But I am still nervous of the pass D of the Pats - and if the Pats win the AFCCG then we'll see - unless the Niners make it too - the Packers or the Giants have the ability to expose the Pats flaws in the passing game -

I am not coming here today to dog the defense in any way - they looked great last night and I hope it continues - but they struggled mightily against good passing teams this season - one game against a run first team like Denver does nothing to prove that the Pats have improved on pass D - we have to wait until next week to find out

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Agree the D looked good, but if the Pats got up early Denver's gameplan was pretty much diminished on O.  The Pats forced them to do what Tebow doesn't do well - pass, pass, pass. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : I like what you said about Brady throwing 35 times and winning because Drew Brees threw it over 60 times and lost.  Good call, dude.
    Posted by DoNotSleepOnThePats

The buzzword being bandied about is complementary football.  That was as good as an offensive gameplan that I can remember.  The Broncos' D couldn't have expected half of what they saw, and even when they knew things were coming they couldn't stop it.  And yes, the offense getting up big basically put the Pats' D in a good spot, which is what it's all about. 

I like this win.  It doesn't guarantee a thing, but it's encouraging.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : Take it out of their hands or just stop running a shotgun over and over into man coverage and staring down Welker and Gronk? Note how confused Denver's D was with all the personnel being used in different spots.   I am delusional?  Do you even know what that word means?  Apparently, not. You were wrong on the union debates as to who had leverage, the fact the owners weren't some evil entity and you've been wrong and arrogant ALL YEAR LONG, conceptually, about this offense. Keep making a fool out of yourself.  YOu just said AGAIN the "talent around Brady is not there". You're literally the only person here who believes that load of dung. PS BJGE didnt run well because he was subbed for in and out again. It just didn't matter in this particular game. Another concept you don't get. LMAO

I do think its funny that the Pats ran 50% of their play out of the spread last night - and lost the TOP battle - two things you have been harping on Rusty  -

Apparently the spread didn't kill them last night

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

They played great, swarmed to the football, real old school. We've seen them play great at times throughout the season but they really put it together for 60 minutes last night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : I do think its funny that the Pats ran 50% of their play out of the spread last night - and lost the TOP battle - two things you have been harping on Rusty  - Apparently the spread didn't kill them last night
    Posted by qball369

Rusty has no idea what he's talking about.  The shotgun was extremely effective (as it often is); they didn't run all that much more than usual early; and they threw 25 passes in the first half--on pace for 50 in the game.  The only reason they didn't throw more was because one half of the offense Rusty has been criticizing all year was more than enough to beat the Broncos. 

Rusty has some bizzarro idea that limiting Brady to 35 attempts is a good thing.  Who on this board thinks that BB sat down with O'Brien and MacDaniels before the game and said, "Okay guys, only way we win is to keep Brady from throwing more than 35 times, since he's gonna turn the ball over way too much if he throws more than that.  So what we'll do is throw all 35 of those passes in the first half!"  That's absolutely absurd.  What Belichick said is once we get up by two or three scores, Tebow has to throw and he can't do that effectively, so we'll have him beat.  SO . . . let's fire up the shotgun offense and have Brady throw like a madman in the first several series.  Once we're way ahead, then we'll trot out Ridley and BJGE . . . and heck have Brady punt just for fun.  

The real game plan was all about throwing and using the spread offense and going up-tempo to rack up points early and force the Broncos away from their strength (the running game).  It was a great game plan, but it wasn't what Rusty is saying it was.  In fact, it was exactly the game plan Rusty has been criticizing all season as ineffective.  Rusty is just so blinded by his own cockamamie idea that he can't see the reality.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : Rusty has no idea what he's talking about.  The shotgun was extremely effective (as it often is); they didn't run all that much more than usual early; and they threw 25 passes in the first half--on pace for 50 in the game.  The only reason they didn't throw more was because one half of the offense Rusty has been criticizing all year was more than enough to beat the Broncos.  Rusty has some bizzarro idea that limiting Brady to 35 attempts is a good thing.  Who on this board thinks that BB sat down with O'Brien and MacDaniels before the game and said, "Okay guys, only way we win is to keep Brady from throwing more than 35 times, since he's gonna turn the ball over way too much if he throws more than that.  So what we'll do is throw all 35 of those passes in the first half!"  That's absolutely absurd.  What Belichick said is once we get up by two or three scores, Tebow has to throw and he can't do that effectively, so we'll have him beat.  SO . . . let's fire up the shotgun offense and have Brady throw like a madman in the first several series.  Once we're way ahead, then we'll trot out Ridley and BJGE . . . and heck have Brady punt just for fun.   The real game plan was all about throwing and using the spread offense and going up-tempo to rack up points early and force the Broncos away from their strength (the running game).  It was a great game plan, but it wasn't what Rusty is saying it was.  In fact, it was exactly the game plan Rusty has been criticizing all season as ineffective.  Rusty is just so blinded by his own cockamamie idea that he can't see the reality.    
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Agreed - Rusty has become confused by his own rhetoric - the simple reality is that any successful team wins by playing to the strengths of their personnel - that dictates that the Pats will be a pass first team running the spread because that plays to the strengths of their personnel -

The o line clearly pass blocks better than run blocking
    The receivers the Pats have dictate the spread - hitting short/intermediate routes in space
    The QB feels that he sees the field better out of the gun

I am not sure why any of this is bad - you play to your strengths - and, since the Pats D is prone to giving up points (though not as bad as some teams I know Rusty) the O must carry the load if the Pats are to win games

I didn't log on to say anything remotely negative about the team after last nights destruction of the Broncos - but that game did not convince me that the Pats can win the SB this year relying on ball control/D - they need to score - plain and simple

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : You're a moron. Dan Marino used to throw 40+ times er game and he won jack squat. It was a great gameplan!  Who said it wasn't?  Where's it been, Prolate?  Where was it against 8-10 teams this year inthe first half of games? Where was it against the Giants? Cowboys?  Steelers? Chiefs? Colts? Dolphins? Bills? Hmm? The offense SHOWED UP FOR 4 QTRS last night.  Bout time!  lol Dumervil on one leg and Brady all day to throw into a zone D is a dream.  The point remains. Don't always expect that.  Denver had to play more zone down quality secondary players.  Good for us, bad for them. Expect Balt to play ton of physical man and let's hope if O'Brien is forced to adjust, he's got it together next week across 4 qtrs, too.

It might be wishful thinking - but I actually think the Hernandez wrinkle came from McDaniels - Not that he adjusted any better in SB42 then Obrien does

Maybe between them they'll figure it out quicker if things don't go well

Still - I like the same plan - take the ball first if they can - come out quick - get a score and get the Ravens on their heels early - that would help the D immensly

Get Flacco having to throw it and the Pats should get 1-2 INT's

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I often criticized the d this season because on many an occasion they deserved it. They have throughout the season showed signs of being capable, but the lack of consistency from game to game kept me a doubter Maybe it was injuries, maybe BB was holding back? I buy the injuries for sure, and I also buy 2 weeks off having helped a lot og the guys prepare and rest. I don't buy BB was holding anything back just some could spank tebow in the playlists, BB was experimenting with players and schemes all season. He almost treated 1/2 the regular season as training camp. It was a mix of musical chairs, and this coupled with injuries certainly hurt consistency. Fast forward to yesterday...the pats d played like a team with a common purpose, set on executing on a brilliant game plan. Players looked rested, motivated and I haven't see the pats as fast all season as they did yesterday. The dline from what I saw was simply lights out. The whole d played well. It certainly is encouraging heading into next week. Over the next 2 games, they will progressively play better pass offenses. We will see what they are made of when they go against a QB that can throw it. I have a feeling they will respond. I don't prescribe to believe BB was holding back or not revealing his hand. I think he was trying to find the right combos. After he finally landed on some things that would work, he worked into a game plan and the players had time to prepare. What don't agree with is Russ and others thinking the d is our savior. Tb and the offense enabled the d to play aggressive like that by putting Timmy in a corner. The d responded accordingly, but this team still goes and wins based on how tb and the offense go.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

I often criticized the d this season because on many an occasion they deserved it. They have throughout the season showed signs of being capable, but the lack of consistency from game to game kept me a doubter Maybe it was injuries, maybe BB was holding back? I buy the injuries for sure, and I also buy 2 weeks off having helped a lot og the guys prepare and rest. I don't buy BB was holding anything back just some could spank tebow in the playlists, BB was experimenting with players and schemes all season. He almost treated 1/2 the regular season as training camp. It was a mix of musical chairs, and this coupled with injuries certainly hurt consistency. Fast forward to yesterday...the pats d played like a team with a common purpose, set on executing on a brilliant game plan. Players looked rested, motivated and I haven't see the pats as fast all season as they did yesterday. The dline from what I saw was simply lights out. The whole d played well. It certainly is encouraging heading into next week. Over the next 2 games, they will progressively play better pass offenses. We will see what they are made of when they go against a QB that can throw it. I have a feeling they will respond. I don't prescribe to believe BB was holding back or not revealing his hand. I think he was trying to find the right combos. After he finally landed on some things that would work, he worked into a game plan and the players had time to prepare. What don't agree with is Russ and others thinking the d is our savior. Tb and the offense enabled the d to play aggressive like that by putting Timmy in a corner. The d responded accordingly, but this team still goes and wins based on how tb and the offense go.
    Posted by PatsLifer

Great post Lifer.....coudn't agree more. The D played a great game, but lets not make the mistake in thinking the D doesn't have problems. This wasn't the Saints or Green Bay offense we were playing against. Regardless of all the hype that came with Tebow, he is NOT a very good NFL QB and the majority of the games he won in the second half of the season were a direct result of their defense, not their offense.

I like how fans we can criticize the team we love to watch and suddenly we are haters. Isn't the love / hate relationship we have for our beloved teams simply part of being a fan? TP said Brady made a bad throw on pick......does that make him a Brady hater? I think not.

The fact is our Defense played great yesterday and deserves many kudos. By FAR the best they played all season. But for the majority of the season, the Defense deserved the criticism they got and anyone who thinks the D led us to a 13-3 season is simply looking through blinders. This team will go as far as  Brady and Company takes them.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

They didn't struggle mightily against Dallas or NYGs with Spikes and Chung. Nope, no they didn't. Continuity and experience on D are important things. NE's D just got that back.

You keep mentioning the Giants game as if the Pats D held the Giants from scoring on their GAME WINNING DRIVE! A great defense holds the line and wins that game, regardless of the PI call.....stop mentioning this game as if the won.

Sections
Shortcuts