All the haters of our defense...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from qball369. Show qball369's posts

Re: All the haters of our defense...

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : You keep mentioning the Giants game as if the Pats D held the Giants from scoring on their GAME WINNING DRIVE! A great defense holds the line and wins that game, regardless of the PI call.....stop mentioning this game as if the won.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

He'll tell you that it was a bogus PI call against Sergio Brown that cost the Pats - after the O - who had definitely struggled - gave the D a lead inside the 2 minute warning - the problem is that Sergio Brown ran a receiver over who had no chance to catch the ball over - the refs will call that every time

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: All the haters of our defense...": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : See, this is my issue with the comments. Reads fine all the way down until the end. When on earth did I ever say "the D is our savior"?  I have said the D creates 2 turnovers per game on average and they set up a lot of our offense's points. Yes. They do!  Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE] Savior a bit too strong Russ, but the point I was trying to make is that many think the D wins us games. They may have a couple tomtheir credit, but as someone else stated, the biggest reason we are where we are today is because Brady and the o can put up points. If our d was more like the 49ers, then I would agree. Yes, they can force turnovers, but they can also let teams score at will. In order for us to win, our d will have to play well especially against teams like green bay and to an extend the giants. They don't have to win it for us, but they do have to limit points scored and get off the field once and a while. The giants game you continue to reference was a multiple turnover game for us, however, when handed the game to close, the d couldn't do it on 2 occasions when the giants marched like 80 yards twice at the end of the game. That is all I am saying. I am not trying to overly critical, just trying to point out this team goes the way of Brady. If you disagree, please let me know. I will ask you again the question I have asked you about a half a dozen times this year...with 2 mins left in the game, what unit do you trust more? Brady to march the team 80 yards for a td, or, the d to hold a team from marching 80 yards for a td? I will not tak anything away from them, yesterday was inspiring and made me down right giddy to see our d perform like that. All they need to do is deliver 2 more games similar and the big trophy is ours.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: All the haters of our defense...": Savior a bit too strong Russ, but the point I was trying to make is that many think the D wins us games. They may have a couple tomtheir credit, but as someone else stated, the biggest reason we are where we are today is because Brady and the o can put up points. If our d was more like the 49ers, then I would agree. Yes, they can force turnovers, but they can also let teams score at will. In order for us to win, our d will have to play well especially against teams like green bay and to an extend the giants. They don't have to win it for us, but they do have to limit points scored and get off the field once and a while. The giants game you continue to reference was a multiple turnover game for us, however, when handed the game to close, the d couldn't do it on 2 occasions when the giants marched like 80 yards twice at the end of the game. That is all I am saying. I am not trying to overly critical, just trying to point out this team goes the way of Brady. If you disagree, please let me know. I will ask you again the question I have asked you about a half a dozen times this year...with 2 mins left in the game, what unit do you trust more? Brady to march the team 80 yards for a td, or, the d to hold a team from marching 80 yards for a td? I will not tak anything away from them, yesterday was inspiring and made me down right giddy to see our d perform like that. All they need to do is deliver 2 more games similar and the big trophy is ours.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

+1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

For those of you mentioning the Giants game, don't forget, on those two late 80 yard TD drives, they were helped respectively by 50 and 30 yard PI calls.  No PI calls and no late game heroics by Manning.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

[QUOTE]Irrationals, please step forward. It's time. You rode the Mazz, Felger and gasper coat tails all year and took the bait. You were the pied pipers of the national media's journey to ignore GB and NOs Ds, attacking only BB's D here. You took the bait. Facts were pointed out to you, you ignored them, etc.  Who cares if 3 QBs throw for 5000 yards, right? Who cares that yards allowed is what "ranks" a D, right? LMAO Hell, I am still laughing at the only TD being scored was off a Brady INT from his 20. LOL!! Wouldn't it be easier to just confess at this point and get it over with, just for the board's sake? If Pitt lost James Farrior and Polamalu for 2 months at the same time, would their D have taken a hit? Irrationals, please step forward and have some semblance of dignity here.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Rusty, thanks for saving me a bunch of typing.  You guys all know how longwinded I can be.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : In that case, let's write off all of the 14 wins this year is the result of some excuse to be used why the other team couldn't play well against the Pats.  The Pats HAVE won games and STILL win games when injured players go down.  Look at the Pats O-line and the injuries there.  I find it incredible there are folks like yourself who simply can't appreciate how the D played last night without the need to make excuses for the opponent.  Why not accept they played that well and use that success as a jumping board to excel the next time??!! 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

May I suggest reading for comprehension??  I gave the D all the credit last night, as they FINALLY stepped it up and played a full 60 minutes. Appreciate the effort? What self respecting fan wouldn't ID that? They made a 1 dimensional team really 1 dimensional, one in which they are no good at being. Not many D's can do this. They did their job, Brady did his. It was a win/win. Now, let's see if they can do the same thing against a MULTI dimensional team. Just because I have SERIOUS questions about the #31 ranked defense doesn't mean you can blow rose colored smoke at me as if to say, "See? Things are JUST fine with the D!". I'll believe that IF they strap on another effort vs the Ravens. If they don't have the same success, they revert back to hemmoraging yards and points, and the team loses, will you readily admit that the D was NOT SB Championship caliber? And, do so without any excuses?

BTW, WHAT excuses did I make for the Broke Backs? They got hammered, as they should have. No big surprise, other than how they got manhandled by the D.

As for the 14 win stuff.....  Yes, we know what the Pats have done when faced with injury issues. Is every team supposed to do the same? I think not. Now, just why do you suppose the NFL is broken into 8 four team divisions? Could it POSSIBLY be to have 8 division winners? They automatically get in, no matter what, as division winners. Why mess with that? These teams did what they were supposed to do as the first step to qualify for the playoffs: they WON their division, just as the Pats did. Thus, division winners get seeded 1-4, based on record.

Let's play Pretend.... Pretend the Pats ended up 8-8, winning their division, and the Broke Backs had at least 10 wins (lost their last 3, 2 closely). Pats would be #4 seed, and host 12-4 Pittsburgh. Wait! Hold on! No playoffs for the Pats, because the 9-7 Titans had a better record, finishing 2nd in their division. They go, the Pats stay home, because your new rules say so.

Or, instead of making them #4, let's put them on the road all playoffs as the #6 seed. Doesn't matter if they won their division, they sukked by going 8-8, right?? How does that thrill you? Now, BE HONEST!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I've been a long time fan of the Pats, long before BB got here. The book on BB (2000-2005) was that he ALWAYS held stuff back during the regular season. He never showed anything other than vanilla unless he needed to win a game. He never put more on tape than absolutely necessary. Even the players would talk about it, that "nobody has seen anything yet". If it were up to BB, every defensive play, in the playoffs, would be a play no one in the league had seen the Pats use before. So, why is it so farfetched that this year he would do the same thing? It is his MO.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]I'm with the "let's not get too excited" people.  Yes, they were great.  They reminded me of the Patriots defense of the super bowl years.  The front seven stuffing the run, and flying all over the field and making playes.  But let's be real.  The scheme worked because the Pats were able to contain the run with only their front seven.  They didn't have to sell out like the Steelers did.  Several times, however, the commentators mentioned short and intermediate routes that were open that Tebow failed to find.  A better passing QB would have found those receivers.  And of course those short completions often open the door for the deep throws.  So I'm hopeful, but let's not get too excited about the Pats defense until we see them in action against a real NFL offense.  On a side note, I think it's ridiculous that people post knocking the people who have criticized the Pats defense.  A whole season of mediocrity (at best), and people want to slam the "haters" after one game.  ONE GAME?!  I honestly hope you guys were right all along about the D, but the initial posters on this thread are just being foolish. 
    Posted by joerock22[/QUOTE]

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

You may have just lost your credentials on this board. How DARE you say the 2011 Patriot defense was anything but glorious, spectacular, and stupendous, despite finishing #31 in the NFL?????  It was BB's plan all along to blow a late win in Buffalo! Same at home with the Giants! The Steelers loss? Why, he simplky didn't want to show his hand and played, well, "conservatively". 

Pay no attention to what was played out on the field this season! All is perfect and hunkie dorie with their defense, as it was all along. Missed coverages? Nonsense! Poor tackling? Overrated! Allowing huge chunks of real estate every game? FUGHEDABOUDIT! It was all a plan. 

Maybe I should invest in some of those rose colored glasses.......

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]For those of you mentioning the Giants game, don't forget, on those two late 80 yard TD drives, they were helped respectively by 50 and 30 yard PI calls.  No PI calls and no late game heroics by Manning.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

And you tell me that I make excuses!!!!!

LMFAO!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Irrationals, please step forward. It's time. You rode the Mazz, Felger and gasper coat tails all year and took the bait. You were the pied pipers of the national media's journey to ignore GB and NOs Ds, attacking only BB's D here. You took the bait. Facts were pointed out to you, you ignored them, etc.  Who cares if 3 QBs throw for 5000 yards, right? Who cares that yards allowed is what "ranks" a D, right? LMAO Hell, I am still laughing at the only TD being scored was off a Brady INT from his 20. LOL!! Wouldn't it be easier to just confess at this point and get it over with, just for the board's sake? If Pitt lost James Farrior and Polamalu for 2 months at the same time, would their D have taken a hit? Irrationals, please step forward and have some semblance of dignity here.

I love it when a guy that bashes the offense all season doesn't make any mention of the fact that they put up 45 points in what was mostly a hurry up spread offense!! Laughable. Instead of enjoying it as a fan you come out here and want to put fans in an awkward spot...arguing about what was an outstanding defensive effort against an absolute joke of an offense...ran by a guy that can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pass.

You know what? We're all happy today. Why bring on a debate of how good this defense really is?

On a day like today you don't see anyone saying, I told you so...Brady is the reason why we won.

Truthfully if the defense played like that last year, we would of beat the Jets and made it to the Super Bowl. God willing they play well next week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]^ Yeah a lot of hostility on this thread Russ( and I see your right in the middle of it again brother ) We should all be happy. Brady absolutely destroyed a very good defense. We looked like a well oiled machine on offense. Same for the other side, The defense executed a perfect game plan, I personally think Baltimore and Houston are very close in terms of offensive skill sets as the Broncos. I think our defense will continue to play well going forward by limiting a strong run game and taking advantage of playing with a lead. I like Prolate but absolutely disagree with him on the talent level of our offense. We have as many weapons as any offense in the league, We just don't get the chance to utilize that talent because Gronk/WW/Hern cannot be stopped. What a great way to start the post season. Go Pats!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I'm with you here brother, too much hostility amongst PAT's fandom?  This is only a joyous time for a Patriot, it was a dominating performance in all three phases of the game... hell I was impressed with Zoltan's punting, what little of it there was.

People seem to think because I praise the D or the enjoy the running game that somehow I'm knocking the offense or Brady, and they especially can't get past how one works best in tandem with the other.  Rusty certainly doesn't help, he's more polarizing than Tim Tebow.

Also for the people who seem to suggest I believe in a conspiracy involving Belichick running his "vanilla" defense, as if I'm saying he was putting his guys in the wrong position, that's just silly.

Watch last night's defensive game highlights again and tell me what was different between the regular season defense and what we saw last night; answer... more defensive tackles on the field on every play.  We brought the beef, the beef BB kept fresh by not playing them out during the regular season instead opting for a 2 man D line and two outside linebackers at end. Keep it simple for a group of new players and no camp to train them properly, by seasons end a working 3/4 defense.  

The three man front of Wilfork, Warren and Love together annihilated the Denver O line.  During the regular season the only time BB played the three man D line was inside the 20 or 30 yard line maybe, depending on game time situations. 

Last night we saw the 3/4 or the 3/3/5 on almost every play.  So you go from two 300+ pound guys, add one more and that's what I meant by "conservative." Gerrard Warren was a beast last night, could not be blocked by one man, Wilfork is of course the best nose in the game and every other defensive player was exploding off the ball.  

D tackles create pass rush, outside linebackers are the beneficiary of that pressure up the middle.  Complimentary football, synergy...

I love that it's all coming together, to beat San Francisco (?) we have to be the best we've been all year because they don't beat themselves, we have to be supremely balanced, explosive and unpredictable in all 3 phases.  

The only time I go all caps is when I say GO PATS!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Wozzy Our d line was great last night. They fired off the ball amazingly fast for a bunch of big guys. No doubt they are fresh..I wonder though if the schemes we saw last night had more to do with who we were playing vs BB saving his dts until the playoffs? I would imagine a similar game plan against the buzzards. Stop rice and pressure flacco.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]Wozzy Our d line was great last night. They fired off the ball amazingly fast for a bunch of big guys. No doubt they are fresh..I wonder though if the schemes we saw last night had more to do with who we were playing vs BB saving his dts until the playoffs? I would imagine a similar game plan against the buzzards. Stop rice and pressure flacco.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I think we'll see it for the remaining 2 games... it was nothing but a good use of personnel.  During the regular season we rarely brought more than 3 of these guys to a game on the gameday roster, last night we had more than that on the field for at least a play.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : Wait until you read the whole thread. Prolate and Schempter's Ghost are still trying to wiggle their way out of it. ZBellino, Hurlie, TomPenny, Babe Parili, Hang3XC and the other usual irrationals have been REALLY quiet, however. I still find it unebelievable weak that they simply can't conceded we've been right the whole time. I don't expect a troll like Phat Rex to come back and do a mea culpa, but I do expect Pats fans to pony up and confess a bit.  Even the lone TD NE allowed was on a boneheaded Brady throw on a short field. Spikes and Chung come back for the first time and 2 months and the D is clearly different.  Duh.

What exactly is your problem? I'm enjoying our first playoff win in years. Meanwhile, you're doing what you do best. Spinning for all you're worth to prove you "were right". You're such a child.

The D played well against the Donkeys. That doesn't mean they are now the equal of the '85 Bears. TRY to enjoy the win without being an anal tool.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...The scheme worked because the Pats were able to contain the run with only their front seven.  They didn't have to sell out like the Steelers did.  Several times, however, the commentators mentioned short and intermediate routes that were open that Tebow failed to find.  A better passing QB would have found those receivers.  And of course those short completions often open the door for the deep throws.  So I'm hopeful, but let's not get too excited about the Pats defense until we see them in action against a real NFL offense.  ...
    Posted by joerock22[/QUOTE]

it would not be smart for the players on the pats to get too excited. us fans, i am pretty sure it's okay to get really excited. the pats do not need us to be focused for next week's game.

also, while i agree that there are better qbs who might find open receviers more often that tebow did, i doubt it will be often that they get to throw the ball if last nights pass rush shows up,

during pass plays, tt had no more than 2 secs to throw most of the time. There was one play... the very first where had 5. after that, the DL was getting to him in less than 3 on practically every play. he was able to extend a handful of plays by scrambling.

on run plays the DL consistently engaged the runner behind the LOS.

i don't know what the split was but i thoguht they played 3-4 practically all night, relentlessly sending 4-5 rushers. i think the denver OL got worn out as the game progressed. they generated only 5 negative plays in the first half but finished the night with 13. with a good rotation of 300 lb kids (love, wilfork, deaderick, warren and ellis), the pats can keep putting pressure and the oline like last night, i don't know if there is an oline remaining that would not break.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: All the haters of our defense...": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : Absolutely!  It's about building towards something.  This is one of the many reasons why he;s so good. Please keep posting here.  You have a clue and we need more fans like you here. Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE] I didn't realize BB held back in previous years. If he was only giving us a taste of the defense during the regular season then I stand corrected. If what we saw last night was the real d, fantastic for us. I want to look at them when they go up against a good passing offense. They might get that chance against the giants if we beat the buzzards next week. That would be a good match up, us and the giants.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.