All the haters of our defense...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: All the haters of our defense...

Yeah, real funny Russ.

However, I wouldn't classify it as a concern with our offensive approach, it's simply going against a fast, attacking D, how do we adjust our gameplan to protect Brady to still score points. I think BB will have a nice gameplan this week against the Ravens. He'll mix it up, but if the TE's need to stay home once and a while, so be it. Branch, Ocho and Welker will have to step up as will our running game.
    The good thing about having 2 TEs that produce is we don't have to swap personnel per se to either run or pass. If you see the Ravens loading up or showing blitz, you could bring Gronk and Hern in, and run it or throw a screen to Ridley, BJGE or Woody.
    To me, that is the biggest difference with this Pats team than 07'. 07' we were like the Packers of this year. 4 good to great wideouts and our attack was vertical. This year, we can better mix it up, and play the short/medium game to offset attacking defenses.
    This is why I want to face the Gints again. They won't have all day to tee off on Brady while the receivers get open, and the OLine won't have nearly as much pressure on them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Patslifer... The Ravens' most difficult choice will be to pick the poison of who to double cover and who to let go with single coverage.  That choice has never shut down all three of Gronk, Herny or Welker.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense...:
    [QUOTE]AZ.. here is the problem.. all the Patriots' D nay-sayers are quoting stats.  I wish there was some way to factor out all the late TDs and yardage an opponent gained against the Pats D when the game was not in doubt the Pats would win.  Granted, this is no excuse for their play, but, it all rolls up statistically to make that D look bad.  Classic case is the Dolphins game.. the Pats were up 31 - 3 about 5 minutes into the 4th quarter and the D totally went super soft!  Plus, how many games did the D start out slowly only to shut down the other team in the second half, but, those early stats looked horrible.  Another classic case, the first quarter of the Denver game.  This D is better than the stats claim and they make the plays at the right time to win! 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

So, the 2nd Bills and Dolphin game didn't matter? Going down 17-0 and 21-0 are not reflective of a 'slow starting defense", but rather a 32nd ranked one. And then there's that pesky give it away loss to the Bills and Giants. Slow start or a 32nd randed D showing how they got ranked #32?

The ony stat I talked about is being DFL in the NFL. They were ranked there for a good reason. So were the Saints and Packers, and look what happened to them. Want any more proof that defense wins playoff games and championships? Slow starting defenses lose games. The Saints and Packers started slow, got behind by double digits, tried to play a fast catch up, and went turnover crazy. Have the Pats turned the ball over this year? I seem to recall Brady with multiple INT's. And that wasn't against a Ravens quality defense.

Was I pleased with their showing vs he Broke Backs? You betchya! I was pleasantly surprised, as they FINALLY played a full 60 minutes. But I temper this knowing who they played, taking away the Donks one dimension, forcing them into something the world knows they stink at. Still, a good defensive effort will do this. Now, let's see how they do vs the Ravens. Will we see more of the Donks treatment or a revert back to two years ago when they got absolutely clobbered before the 1st qtr was over? Again, I will be pleasantly surprised if they maintain their play vs the Donks, but won't be totally surprised if they play like they did against the Bills and Fins on the 2nd go-round.

Being #31 out of 32 is NOT a good thing. It scares the bejeesus out of me. It just amazes me that when this point is brought out, some folks take it personally. The Pats, Saints, and Packers were lucky to have quality QB's and offenses that quite often bailed out poor defensive performances. Now, the Saints and Packers are sitting home. The Pats need to be concerned. So should the fans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : So, the 2nd Bills and Dolphin game didn't matter? Going down 17-0 and 21-0 are not reflective of a 'slow starting defense", but rather a 32nd ranked one. And then there's that pesky give it away loss to the Bills and Giants. Slow start or a 32nd randed D showing how they got ranked #32? The ony stat I talked about is being DFL in the NFL. They were ranked there for a good reason. So were the Saints and Packers, and look what happened to them. Want any more proof that defense wins playoff games and championships? Slow starting defenses lose games. The Saints and Packers started slow, got behind by double digits, tried to play a fast catch up, and went turnover crazy. Have the Pats turned the ball over this year? I seem to recall Brady with multiple INT's. And that wasn't against a Ravens quality defense. Was I pleased with their showing vs he Broke Backs? You betchya! I was pleasantly surprised, as they FINALLY played a full 60 minutes. But I temper this knowing who they played, taking away the Donks one dimension, forcing them into something the world knows they stink at. Still, a good defensive effort will do this. Now, let's see how they do vs the Ravens. Will we see more of the Donks treatment or a revert back to two years ago when they got absolutely clobbered before the 1st qtr was over? Again, I will be pleasantly surprised if they maintain their play vs the Donks, but won't be totally surprised if they play like they did against the Bills and Fins on the 2nd go-round. Being #31 out of 32 is NOT a good thing. It scares the bejeesus out of me. It just amazes me that when this point is brought out, some folks take it personally. The Pats, Saints, and Packers were lucky to have quality QB's and offenses that quite often bailed out poor defensive performances. Now, the Saints and Packers are sitting home. The Pats need to be concerned. So should the fans.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

First of all the Patriots defense was ranked 18th not 31st, that is your first problem.  Yards is an indicator of nothing, if opposing teams don't score or only get field goals then why does it matter how they got there.  In the end people remember who won and maybe the score, not how many yards the QB racked up against us...

For every game that proves your point of the Pats needing to get ahead and stay ahead I can recall games where our defense won it outright for us or were dominant until garbage time like the poster you were responding to first stated. I can also recall in losses (only 3 by the way) where our offense turned the ball over with multiple interceptions in enemy territory, do you hang those points on the defense as well? 

What you weren't watching apparently was how in the red zone BB inserted his 3/4 defense and clamped down more often than not holding teams to a field goal.

If this is all too much to digest, one thing to consider, the best defense in the post season currently in points allowed, yards given up, sacks per game, is the Patriots.  

If my theory that maybe Belichick didn't play some defensive tackles max snaps during the regular season as to keep them fresh for the playoffs flies in the face of what you and the national media thought about the defense all season, ask yourself why have they only now switched to a true 3/4 on every down for the playoffs, then possibly reconsider what you've thought about our D all year because BB is playing for the post season and he could give a rats a$$ about stats.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Brady has been absolutely lights out since the middle of the season, as well as with protecting the ball. He's just playing with a different level of fire and confidence right now.

It wasn't the offense they were playing, it was how they did it. 15 plays for loss. Swarming to the ball. Being pumped up. Hard hitting.

If you really think we saw ANY of those things this year, you're kidding yourselves.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Also don't forget about their special teams.....they were OUTSTANDING.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]AZPat and his ilk simply do not get Wozzy is suggesting.  I also love how AZPat mentions the Miami game this year when BB has scrapheap guys in different spots, but NE's offense in that MIami game had like 5 3 and outs, couldn't keep Brady upright and average like 8 1 minute drives, unable to cross the 50 yard line. Gee, I am confused why Miami may have thrown caution to the win playing for jobs next year and played well. LMAO AZPat and his ilk are no different than people like Rob Parker on ESPN. They purposely leave out reality to pump an agenda.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

Please stop sticking up for me, I try awfully hard not to be divisive or insulting to other Pat fans, I certainly don't lump them together as common "ilk" and I can also recall some insightful posts by AZPat so I don't consider him or many others who I have spirited discussions with as enemies.  I enjoy this exchange of ideas and try to keep it friendly, I think you have some good points but your volume posting and insults are a little much...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

AZPat.. you are TOO focused on the season long stats of the Pats D and ignoring how this D is playing NOW and how they STILL keep the other team from scoring LESS than their team, therefore resulting in a WIN!!!

Let's take a look a those two final games of the season in which the Pats started out horribly and slow.   If the same 17 and 21 points were scored over the course of the entire game, we would not be having this discussion.  Did you forget what the FINAL score was in those horrible start games?  Let me refresh your memory:  Pats 27 - Miami 24 (MIA with a garbage time score) and Pats 49 - Buffalo 21.  Because it all happened in the 1st quarter or so, you are applying that sort of start to an entire game!!  At the end of the game, the D put it together and shut them down.  Give them CREDIT for that!!  I would be in your corner if that horrible start continued throughout the game AND THE PATS LOST!!  They didn't.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I believe there is also a small pocket here who take what I say and repeat it ad nauseum until the message is lost completely.

A good example has been my 4 year campaign that running the ball and balance be a priority for our team to be successful overall... since I suggested this, SOMEBODY took that message and blew it up with about a million repetitive threads and posts, at one point almost saying passing the ball is bad or worse that Tom Brady stinks or is the reason we're losing.  

I don't like being lumped in with a side, right or left, conservative or liberal, red/blue... this kind of thinking stagnates original thought and the free flow of discussion here. I hesitate to post sometimes because I know my thread will be hijacked by sycophants looking for a cause or trolls looking to instigate.

Please don't lump me in with any "ilk" or worse fight my battles for me, we're all Patriot fans, some people just need to lighten up and possibly use fewer words and more well chosen... try posting with less emotion and more simple logic.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]I believe there is also a small pocket here who take what I say and repeat it ad nauseum until the message is lost completely. A good example has been my 4 year campaign that running the ball and balance be a priority for our team to be successful overall... since I suggested this, SOMEBODY took that message and blew it up with about a million repetitive threads and posts, at one point almost saying passing the ball is bad or worse that Tom Brady stinks or is the reason we're losing.   I don't like being lumped in with a side, right or left, conservative or liberal, red/blue... this kind of thinking stagnates original thought and the free flow of discussion here. I hesitate to post sometimes because I know my thread will be hijacked by sycophants looking for a cause or trolls looking to instigate. Please don't lump me in with any "ilk" or worse fight my battles for me, we're all Patriot fans, some people just need to lighten up and possibly use fewer words and more well chosen... try posting with less emotion and more simple logic.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Wise man, indeed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

bump

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

They did what they had to while the offense failed to take advantage of some good scoring opportunities.  The INT returned to the 50 screamed for the O to punch it in for at least a FG...   D stepped up in spite of some spotty play and poor tackling.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

The D deserves props.  There were only 3 plays that I think really qualified as bad that I can remember.  The long completion to Smith, the TD to Smith and the catch and run by Boldin.  My only real concern was in the second half almost all of the pressure seemed to come from Vince.  The D line did an outstanding job stuffing Rice, but I thought Flacco had too much time to throw when Vince wasn't collapsing the pocket.  It looked like they weren't putting as much beef on the line in the 2nd half, but who knows.  Overall a gutsy performance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]They did what they had to while the offense failed to take advantage of some good scoring opportunities.  The INT returned to the 50 screamed for the O to punch it in for at least a FG...   D stepped up in spite of some spotty play and poor tackling.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

There were way too many tackles that weren't finished off, hopefully we can improve that by the Super Bowl. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]The D deserves props.  There were only 3 plays that I think really qualified as bad that I can remember.  The long completion to Smith, the TD to Smith and the catch and run by Boldin.  My only real concern was in the second half almost all of the pressure seemed to come from Vince.  The D line did an outstanding job stuffing Rice, but I thought Flacco had too much time to throw when Vince wasn't collapsing the pocket.  It looked like they weren't putting as much beef on the line in the 2nd half, but who knows.  Overall a gutsy performance.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

Towards the middle of the game BB starting giving breathers to his big defensive tackles going with the 2/4/5 look again, with Wilfork and Warren paired up they still got pressure, less so when Love or others were in but they kept moving and got some coverage sacks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]The D deserves props.  There were only 3 plays that I think really qualified as bad that I can remember.  The long completion to Smith, the TD to Smith and the catch and run by Boldin.  My only real concern was in the second half almost all of the pressure seemed to come from Vince.  The D line did an outstanding job stuffing Rice, but I thought Flacco had too much time to throw when Vince wasn't collapsing the pocket.  It looked like they weren't putting as much beef on the line in the 2nd half, but who knows.  Overall a gutsy performance.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

That catch and run by Boldin(which was at a CRUCIAL TIME) was made because of defensive communication or lack there of. Edelman didn't know who to cover and Chung bumped the TE at the LOS. Edelman took T Smith on a crossing route. Boldin was uncovered. That was a scary play and I felt the coaching staff should have taken a time out. It was 3rd and 1 at the time.

Anyway our defense played a good game. The Spikes INT was huge. I could not believe we drew up a play for a 50 yard bomb to Slater on the very 1st play???? We had the lead and the clock on our side. Again I think we are too enamored with the pass. The run was given to us all game but we refused to ride it? Why?

I think the Giants will use the same game plan the Ravens/Jets have used. I hope we recognize the need for a running game.

Back to the SB baby Go Pats!

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: All the haters of our defense... : That catch and run by Boldin(which was at a CRUCIAL TIME) was made because of defensive communication or lack there of. Edelman didn't know who to cover and Chung bumped the TE at the LOS. Edelman took T Smith on a crossing route. Boldin was uncovered. That was a scary play and I felt the coaching staff should have taken a time out. It was 3rd and 1 at the time. Anyway our defense played a good game. The Spikes INT was huge. I could not believe we drew up a play for a 50 yard bomb to Slater on the very 1st play???? We had the lead and the clock on our side. Again I think we are too enamored with the pass. The run was given to us all game but we refused to ride it? Why? I think the Giants will use the same game plan the Ravens/Jets have used. I hope we recognize the need for a running game. Back to the SB baby Go Pats!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Definitely spreading them out and running Law Firm up in there was an offensive catalyst, hopefully we'll do the same to the Giants. They're an extraordinarily talented 4/3 defense and the blockers up front will have to win this battle for us to be successful.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

The D is what it is. ...and what everyone already knew. They are what we thought they were.

1) OK-Good against the run
    2) terrible against the past (still have WR as a DB)
    3) Opportunistic, living by the big turnover
    4) Stiffen in the RedZone
    5) Give up 20 or more points per game

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]2) terrible against the past (still have WR as a DB)
    Posted by Low-FB-IQ[/QUOTE]

Troy Brown was nickel corner when we won a Super Bowl...