Allen beats out Mesko

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

Re: Allen beats out Mesko

I'm outta here for the day...can't have a single thread without it being about Rusty...I'm going to enjoy this day..by all...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Maybe the Pats are in cap hell, having to cut their punter.  Sort of like Green Bay.

Lol that's gonna leave a mark.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to APpats21's comment:

Im gonna miss Mesko. Good player, Great person.

Zoltan Mesko statement on release August, 31, 2013 Aug 31 12:10 PM ET By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com

Punter Zoltan Mesko posted the following statement to his Facebook page:

“First and foremost, I want to thank the New England Patriots for everything they have done for me. I have nothing but love in my heart as I depart this great organization. Mr. [Robert] Kraft, the coaches, the strength staff, the trainers, the media personnel, the marketing department, the rest of the amazing staff members at Gillette, and especially my teammates…THANK YOU for all that you have given and have done for me. I want to say that I see the silver lining in things now more than ever, and am a true believer that things DO happen for a reason. This goes out to anyone that will ever come across a mere bump in the road; be thankful, be positive, because there’s a deeper purpose of WHY things happen that we may not yet, or may never come to understand. Just believe. I will miss New England, and more than anything, I’ll be missing the smiles on those kids whom I visited and acted like a goofball in front of. It was ALL worth it. God bless.”

he won't be unemployed long. Great punter, great guy did tons of charity work in the area.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It makes no sense to save money this year considering how much they have available right now but it does make sense after this year when they have Allen cheap for 3 more years vs Mesko in a contract year. Still how much can a punter actually make? The one thing Allen needs to learn is he has a strong leg but he needs to learn the directional kicker a bit more and get a better feel to not out kick the coverage. The latter being his biggest issue imo. It doesn't matter if you can boot it 70yrds if you out kick your coverage and the returner gets it all back. But it was a close competition in camp

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .

There certainly was rampant discussion around here when the Pats went what can only be considered "out of their way" to draft Mesko where they did when they did, and I haven't seen anything in the ensuing years to question that strategy (and bear in mind here that the only Pats' gear I've ever worn that had a number on it was a Steve Grogan practice jersey), but regardless of cost, what we need to understand is that punters might be reasonably interchangeable if you play in a dome or a predominantly domey or sunshiny division . . .  which the Pats don't . . .   but beyond all that -- and beyond what you can't learn in the summer that will come back to bite you in the winter -- (and beyond this increasingly run-on sentence) I don't think you can overestimate the simple generic power of having a guy named Zoltan on your team.

Hear me now and believe me later . . .  the Pats' brain trust (and, perforce, most of you guys), will come to rue this decision.

Now you look here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

Exactly. NAS is too stupid to see that was contract related, it wasn't that Allen was punting in superior form in camp.

What a moron.

You know you have cap problems when you jettison a superior player in order to save $921,000.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Allen was beating out Mesko at the end in the games. He had that rough first game, but came on. 

At any rate, Mesko was average, Allen could just be average at a savings. 

I do hope Pmike isn't prescient here, and that Allen turns out to be a mudder. But hey, when was the last time Mesko turned a big game around with a punt anyway?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You had to see it as a possibility because Allen was there through the 4th game.

If Mesko had backed down from whatever his asking price was for the extension, they likely would have walked from Allen a couple weeks ago.

BB and Kraft don't allow players to dictate extensions and even though this is a punter, I still applaud them for looking out for the greater good, economically, not straying from the formula.

I readily admit, I am confused  why on earth he didn't have another kicker in here when Gostkowski has been POOR and is handsomely paid, to boot.

I haven't read anything about Mesko's contract demands.  Can you please provide a link to a story that mentions anything about it?

Thank you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Maybe the Pats are in cap hell, having to cut their punter.  Sort of like Green Bay.

Bwahahahaha!

I found that funny.  Makes poor Rusty look silly.

BTW, I'm very surprised by this move.  Thought Mesko was the better punter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Allen was beating out Mesko at the end in the games. He had that rough first game, but came on. 

At any rate, Mesko was average, Allen could just be average at a savings. 

I do hope Pmike isn't prescient here, and that Allen turns out to be a mudder. But hey, when was the last time Mesko turned a big game around with a punt anyway?

It's been my experience that most people only remember punters and kickers when they don't do the things that make them "average."

I live on the prairie, where people remember one of the greatest kickers the game has ever seen because he missed once.

My primary objection to the jettisoning of Mesko is that the Pats no long have the guy with the coolest name in the league.

But that's just me . . .     I'm funny that way.

Wink

(oh . . .  and thanx for the "prescient" drop. I'm not going to bother explaining why that's important to me. You seem like a pretty sharp guy. You'll figure it out)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No.  They assign a price to the player and if the player is belligerent, they're gone. Ty LAw, Samuel, Seymour, Welker, Mesko...

PLain and simple.

Belichick:  We'll give you $x, which is the alloted money for your position.

Player:  Okay, but you stink.

Belichick:  You belligerent fool.  You're cut.

NAS:  That doens't make any sense.

--

Beyond that, when did Mesko become a problem player?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

I mentioned that I heard on the radio that Mesko might be challenged by Ryan and was taken to the shed for it by Belichick's Guardian Angel.

Now, we have to see how this spins.  I honestly can't wait.

He can't admit that Mesko was outplayed because he spent that thread talking about the money.

He can't talk about the money because just created a thread making fun of Green Bay for restructuring the kicker to save cap space.

He can't say that Mesko wasn't good enough because he was drafted by Belichick.

So, what will it be?  I can guarantee you one this:  It won't be "Hey NAS, sorry for being such a loser when you posted some about this three weeks ago."

Is Rusty's response the only reason you come and post here? Do you hold Rusty in such esteem that you are now trying to not only antagonize him, but are now becoming him with such BS in an attempt to engage him. Dude, go lay down, wake up and forget about Rusty and think NE Patriots, please. Then maybe Rusty won't be targeting you all of the time. IN OTHER NEWS, I liked Mesko, but a good busines decision seems to be the trump. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Have you read Pats Managament Secrets Vol 1 and 2. No, you haven't. It's pretty obvious Mesko's askin price was not really close to what BB allocates for a Punter.

Get over it.

He was probably looking for Lechler money which is ridiculous. Mesko is very good, but he's not 3 mil per good.

Once BB sniffs out the player is using the Pats brand name as leverage, you're gone.

Yep.  Vrabel 12 sacks in 2008, didn't really play well in any other fashion, but he wanted those sacks to hold BB's feet to the fire for one last big contract. Nope. Gone.

Oh my.  None of this actually exists, does it?  Are you just 100% creating a story here?  I haven't read or heard anything about Mesko's asking price or him being belligerent.

Can you provide any proof at all that any of this exists?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Ghost has not been the same since his iinjury is Ryan the new holder?

If ther is a kicker in the drafty He may be in trouble

So far only surprised by zoltan. And ffells

no jjake B yet?

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Refresh my memory...wasn't there a thread started yesterday about the dire straits Green Bay must be in if they had to cut their punter for cap space? LOL!

That was classic!

Perhaps we should all read Patriot's management strategies volumes 1 and 2 for a better understanding of why a team (GB) was 14 million under the cap and cut their punter...and us too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Just another wasted draft pick, replaced by a street scrub. SOS, different day.

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Go ahead . . .   make your little jokes . . .

Zoltan remembers!

You've never even stopped to consider what he did to Josh Baskin, have you?

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Cost must have been a factor.

I don't think so.  Why would Ghost (higher salary) still be here and face no competition?

Allen seems better at the newer style of holding/punting the ball that allows you to get the backspin near the goal line.

[/QUOTE]

Because Ghost is one of the best kickers in the league. Kickers > Punters

[/QUOTE]

No he's not, and please don't ring off some stats. I don't trust him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Well . . .

There certainly was rampant discussion around here when the Pats went what can only be considered "out of their way" to draft Mesko where they did when they did, and I haven't seen anything in the ensuing years to question that strategy (and bear in mind here that the only Pats' gear I've ever worn that had a number on it was a Steve Grogan practice jersey), but regardless of cost, what we need to understand is that punters might be reasonably interchangeable if you play in a dome or a predominantly domey or sunshiny division . . .  which the Pats don't . . .   but beyond all that -- and beyond what you can't learn in the summer that will come back to bite you in the winter -- (and beyond this increasingly run-on sentence) I don't think you can overestimate the simple generic power of having a guy named Zoltan on your team.

Hear me now and believe me later . . .  the Pats' brain trust (and, perforce, most of you guys), will come to rue this decision.

Now you look here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

Oh cr@p! I hate rueing the day or rueing decisions.  I hope your wrong but it only takes on bad punt.  It could be that we rue this for something more insidious like bad karma.  I have a bad feeling about this.   Are there any other guys named Zoltan available?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

@jeffphowe Patriots save $921,500 against the cap by keeping Ryan Allen over Zoltan Mesko, and they don't have to worry about Mesko's contract year.

cost always a factor but Allen can knock the c//ap out of the ball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Just another wasted draft pick, replaced by a street scrub. SOS, different day.

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

What is your opinion of Thompkins and Sudfeld?  Are they wasted roster spots or picks?

Who the hell knows, they're rookies? You are dense.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I don't think so.  Why would Ghost (higher salary) still be here and face no competition?

Allen seems better at the newer style of holding/punting the ball that allows you to get the backspin near the goal line.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ghost is a suckball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

What I find interesting was that Allen was 1. Available as a FA, and 2. signed as a FA with a team that had Mesko still on his rookie contract. The guy won the Ray Guy award the last two years as the best punter in college football so it isn't like he was a street guy brought in for camp reps.

As soon as he signed on he was serious competition for Mesko. Mesko was a surprise draft pick when the Pats made the selection, but I was also surprised this year when no one selected Allen late in the draft. Once he proved he was good enough in camp, it became all about the money - not so much for this year, but for the following three years - why pay top dollar for a punter when you can get a good one for minimum. And why release a good punter on minimum when you don't know what will be available next year other than your current good punter as a FA looking for 2+M.

As I posted elsewhere - this also dates back to Robbie Gould situation - Pats signed him as a rookie FA in Vinatieri's contract year - they cut him and he ended up getting picked up off the street by Chicago that fall - and he has since become the 4th most accurate kicker in NFL history. BB regretted not keeping him on the roster that year but carrying two punters or two kickers is tough. Pat's obviously liked Allen enough to feel comfortable with him and cutting a good guy and a good punter in Mesko.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No stats, I just go by what Belichick just said. I do trust him, although I realize that goes against the general feeling on this discussion board lately. For whatever insane reason.