Alright, The TEBOW Thing: Smoke and Mirrors OR A Clear Reflection of what's to come?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Alright, The TEBOW Thing: Smoke and Mirrors OR A Clear Reflection of what's to come?

I agree with most of your statements with the exception of a couple.

OL - I'd move this into the critical need area. We have enough players to fill the starting spots but you and I both know at some point Neal and Light are going to get hurt and the drop in level to replace them is pretty large. This is not to mention that Neal and Light won't be around for much longer so long term replacements are needed. Unless you are trying to keep it to 3 positions per catagory then I'd like to move it up.

CB - I might move this down to only somewhat desperate need. The reasoning is that Butler and Bodden seem durable so injury isn't as high of a issue. Though nickle is hurting getting help underneath with a good olb and having 2 coverage SS in Merriweather and Chung over top that provides enough help to hold for a couple seconds. Of course this is provided we can fix the rushing issue and not force nickles to cover like starters. Of course depth is needed bad so That's why I kept it in the somewhat desperate need.

TE - I'd move this up to simple critical need because we only have 1 TE. What if Crumpler gets hurt you can't run with no TE's. This is also not to mention Crumpler is a 2 year stop gap. The need for the future bumps TE up one spot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Re: Alright, The TEBOW Thing: Smoke and Mirrors OR A Clear Reflection of what's to come?

I have to disagree with you and say there is a huge difference between the skills of McCoy and Tebow at this point. McCoy has had to learn how to make reads and pass in the pocket, and is much more NFL ready. And he can throw. Apparently Tebow's got such a great attitude that he'll learn how to throw in 3 years and become a great QB, but I doubt he can do it.

I think it's obvious that the dinner with Tebow was a smokescreen. Guys like Belichick and Shanahan don't want us to know what they are thinking. So they have dinners with guys like Tebow to take peoples attention away from guys they would want. Think about it. Belichick knows PLENTY about Tim Tebow, so I doubt there's any information the Pats need to justify having dinner and a pre-draft workout with the guy. 

When Shanahan drafted Cutler a few years back he didn't even work him out. It's in a coaches best interest to have people confused about who they do and don't want.

As for Tebow in round 1, if you use your eyes it's clear he's not a round 1 talent. Maybe a team like Jacksonville panics and picks him? Stranger things have happened.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Great post!

I agree with your needs. So many holes to fill.

I love the drama leading up to the draft. The Tim Tebow story is making this fun. Something big is gonna happen. I can feel it.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Belichick had lunch in public with Tebow so people would think he is NOT interested in him.  He knows the public KNOWS he is so secretive that he would never be so public with Tebow.
    So, where does that leave us?  We have no idea until draft day.  Chalk one up to BB again. Other coaches are now scratching their heads.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

~PatsEng: Admittedly, It is a subjective account of positional needs, In terms of varying in importance, by simply categorizing them in 3 simple groups.  The Important Aspect to note however is thus:
         1) NE has a TON of positional needs (moreso than any year within several years prior.
         2) A project QB is NOT 1 of those ALL-too-Important mass of positional needs, and... 
         3) Further, a project QB that cannot project to being an extremely undersized TE (a further NON-fit in NE's system @ TE), OR an extremely slow, upright running RB (IF anyone thinks RB outta Tebow, please don't respond to me...lol, ever). 
         4) NE's mass number of critical needs include (here, I'll break it down into 2 groupings this time, with the ONLY order being between 1 group and the 2nd...NOT within each group): DE, OLB, WR, then perhaps O-Line (OL is the single-most position in terms of quality and numbers that a good scouting team can "more often than other spots" find a guy later on), CB (It's a deep CB class overall, and with ANY sort of pass-rush, maybe 1 of the W & W cr#ppy duo CB tandem can survive at nickel, but depth is ALWAYS an issue here and NE has 4 CBs with 2 being pretty crummy), TE (yea, even though NE has 1, but NE doesn't use them much...still, 1 roster TE=depth?), RB (#1 RB would be nice, even a powerful back, with power backs doing very well in NE, and furher-considering NE's current 2 "power" backs Taylor/Morris, are old and injury-laden), SILB (Guyton and a smaller McKenzie ain't the answer here...sorry), Punter (ours, ahh-s#cks). 
         5) THAT now, In terms of Draft Selection and Tim Tebow, It would VASTLY benefit NE either: a) Jaguars doing some totally desperate rade to NE themselves, because Jags NEED to come away with Tim Tebow, OR b) Jaguars doing some regular trade to Draft Tim Tebow BEFORE NE "selects" him in Rd 1, to another team, BECAUSE c) It will either get 1 or even multiple of those teams surrounding NE, Teams that oddly enough have extremely similiar positional areas of need in terms of importance that NE does, AWAY from a draftee that NE might be very much looking at (Jags will be gone, because hey-They're selecting Tebow, and either Steelers, Atlanta, Houston, or Cinci will be gone-because hey-1 of those teams that trade with the Jags under this scenario, will be targeting a different higher up player...maybe some great BPA who has slipped from Top 5-8, in a position they do not need...overall, a different player than BB wants IF he'd like to stay @ #22, OR in the previous case, maybe BB wants a guy he's lovin' around the 10 spot that the Jags have and wants a desperately willing trading partner...
         EITHER way, NE would benefit, see?  

~Rockdog:  I very much agree that at least IF I were GM of some franchise, I'd target McCoy over Tebow any and every day...  The Jacksonville Jaguars however, ARE a different caseThey NEED a QB and Jags NEED revenue and to have more than 3 people in their stands.  Tebow's BOTH a QB and a minor God in those parts...Jags NEED Tim Tebow.

~bobbysu:  In most if not MANY by-gone years, BELIEVE me...I'd beg for NE to target more of these BPA, rather than targeting a player who's a far less overall talent, BUT who's a "Belichick-Type" guy...  PLEASE, look up my past thread-something entitled such as (can't recall the first part), "The Myth about trading down and a tale of value" (something like that).  I expound on those successful franchises who within particularly those Rounds that BB does MULTI-Round reaches on draftees within Rds 2-6 in particular...Guys who should make up your "core" team, but aren't in NE because BB drafts mass-reaches for cr#mmy "Belichick Guys" within those Rds (especially in 5 years prior-esp. 2008, '07, '06, and '05...and even '09 too), These guys who are Projected 6th rders, that you're taking in Rd 3 or 4, fail far more than selecting a Projected Rd 2 guy, that has slipped to your Rd 3 or Rd 4 spot.  Trust me, Read that thread of mine... 
         Overall though, In THIS 2010 Draft, Bill Belichick can neither afford to take the BPA nor do multi-rd reaches in Rds 2-6, In order to target a guy who he likes some perhaps, more intangible aspect of...In THIS 2010 Draft, Bill Belichick HAS to do Excellent Quality of Players at Specific Positional Needs.  Ya get sorta handicapped, when you fall behind in a few drafts...scarry with limited options due to exacting needs...

~Boomer:  You sayin' THIS is a hard sell, In Total:  "Belichick had lunch in public with Tebow so people would think he is NOT interested in him." 
    I mean BB scheduled private workouts with him, meeting of various staff, etc., etc..  SO what you're saying is sort of Reverse-Reverse Belichick Psychology...  I hear ya that ALL recent BB 1st rders were guys, BB did not bring up to NE...  Q: Still though, IF I'm the Jags, and even IF I knew that aspect, Would I take that gambleA: The Jags CANNOT afford to.  Not here...

~digger:  Thanx kindly my fellow cr#zy brethren!  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

probably a good post but to long to read.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Smoke and Mirrors, identical twin pretty stage assistants, thin black wires, stuff up the sleeve, stuffing the assistant into a small compartment, and a fake puppet rabbit. 

Remember how the Jets were stupid enough to draft shrimpy-arms DeWayne and then stone-hips Gholston too?  Well, BB has to keep up appearances this year.  The Bills want to draft a quarterback.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I completely agree with you, Laz. 

You support my beliefs in what New England needs to do to become a better team.

1.) I would take Brandon Graham if he is available with pick 22, but I hear ATL wants him. If Graham is off the board, I'd take Sapp in the second round and trade pick 22 to KC for their two second round picks. 

2.) On WR, although I think it's a major need, I think the Patriots could sign a veteran WR (Owens, Holt, Walters) and draft Scott Long in the late rounds and let him learn from one of these FHOF --or Walters-- to take over. 

3.) DE- In my opinion, this is almost a big a need as OLB. The Ravens exposed that need in the playoffs. They ran the ball at the RE, not once, not twice, but three times in a row, and the Pats still couldn't make a stop to get Brady the ball back in the waning minutes of the first half. To fix that need, I have the Pats going with Alex Carrington. The man is a run stopper. He takes up space, like Warren and Wilfork, and he is intelligent (3.85 GPA)

4.) SILB - Couldn't agree with you more, Guyton isn't a very good ILB from what I saw last season. He either needs to hit the wieghts or switch to WOLB. His 4.4 speed would make for a great edge rusher. One prospects appeals to the most in this year's draft. Sean Lee. His intelligence and leadership make him sound like a Bruschi-type LB. 6'2, 236 (although, Mayo weighted 235 when he first came to NE, now he's 245.) I think Lee can gain 10 more pounds with good conditioning.  

5.) I agree with you, CB needs to be addressed. But I wouldn't draft one until the fourth round. I would go with Perish Cox, CB, OSU. 

6.) OT is also a need. Kaczur and Light are bums. If Veldheer is anything like Vollmer, he should solidify our OL for years to come. I hope they trade Light away for a third round pick if they get Veldheer.

Tebow just doesn't fit into the Patriots, we have needs to fill and there are players who can fill those needs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I think Bill's pulling a double reverse. He's publicly recruiting Tebow and hoping to get the rest of the league to think he's posturing. But I think he's publicly recruiting him because this time, he actually plans to pick up the player.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Lots of Info there but I break it down this way as far as Tebow.. They have a certain level of intrrest in him but not round one or two... if he fell to the mid third then maybe they try to move up to get him but still I say they wouldn't unless they could "Blow" a 4th for him which we own. I don't put past Bill that he is being so open about his interviewing of Tebow because he wants to have a team take him early (one it helps Tebow which Belichick wouldn't mind doing cause he likes him as a person, and two it will be a team with simmilar needs to Patriots that likely takes him meaning they don't spend one of their early picks on a position the Pats really need).

As for how you break down what we need... it is close to what I see but here is how I break it down...

OMG Need- DE/OLB elephant position ie. McGinnest type player; RB a player that can hit a home run is what we lack and that and many other reasons makes our possible move up to 8-11 spot likely a move for Spiller. (we get a guy like Spiller WR is not as big a need and you can sign a FA thats let go later in camp.)

Critical Need- ILB Might have him already on the team if McKenzie is what I think he is. (Bad luck with an injuryHe'll be ready to go this season I think and will be a monster for us on the inside)  If not we have a need there; OL I put it Ol not OT or OG because I think we need one of each but not neccessarily both this year. I think we can be ok With Light at LT for this year and use Vollmer at RT this year if we draft a monster OG to take over for Neal. I think Koppen would be ok if we added another stud to his other side; TE- pretty obvios need there as we know Crumpler will be a good teacher for a couple years we need his replacement in place.

Basic Need- P, Someone who can get it inside the 20/directional punt with the winds we have in New England that means a guy like Zoltan or Boone from Penn St. My personal favortite due to he kicks in bad weather and has exceptional directional and inside the 20 numbers. WR- I think this is a developmental pick year and if we draft this position kind of high it will be 2011 or 2012 when you can afford to take a flier when the draft will be weaker. I expect a FA signing at that position.

Basicly I am in agreement with a few tweaks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from erichard. Show erichard's posts

Tebow was one of the greatest college quarterbacks of all time, and he will become one of, if not the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time. NE should package their #1 pick from Oakland and Wilfork who is now expendable with the pickup of Lewis, to move up their 23 pick in this years draft as high as they can to make sure they get Tebow. With Tebow, it won't matter how gimpy Brady becomes. It will assure superbowls for the next 10 years!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Wow. You're kidding, right?

In Response to Re: Alright, The TEBOW Thing: Smoke and Mirrors OR A Clear Reflection of what's to come?:
    Tebow was one of the greatest college quarterbacks of all time, and he will become one of, if not the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time. NE should package their #1 pick from Oakland and Wilfork who is now expendable with the pickup of Lewis, to move up their 23 pick in this years draft as high as they can to make sure they get Tebow. With Tebow, it won't matter how gimpy Brady becomes. It will assure superbowls for the next 10 years!
    Posted by erichard

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Alright, The TEBOW Thing: Smoke and Mirrors OR A Clear Reflection of what's to come?:
    I think Bill's pulling a double reverse. He's publicly recruiting Tebow and hoping to get the rest of the league to think he's posturing. But I think he's publicly recruiting him because this time, he actually plans to pick up the player.
    Posted by apdynasty23

or helping his buddy urban meyer by taking some heat off him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

The amount of buzz he created by having dinner with Tebow has inflated his stock, so I don't think BB had dinner with him in the hopes of picking him. You can't deny Tebow's stock seems to be rising, and, if BB wanted him, the last thing he would want is to inflate his stock.

Posted by apdynasty23

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

You've obviously put a ton of thought into this post, and I admit I haven't read all of the responses, but I think it needs to be said that the idea that a team like the Pats will or ever could fill all of its needs, critical or otherwise, with draft choices is just not correct.  Rookies are usually not impact players.  Most will make their biggest contributions on special teams or in otherwise limited roles. Even the ones that eventually become all-pros are not usually key contributors in year one.  Guys like Mayo and Vollmer and Richard Seymour are the exceptions, not the rule. 

So if they get one or maybe two of those guys out of this draft, and a couple of other guys who can help in a limited way this year and will be ready to contribute more significantly way in 2011 (if there's football then), they're doing pretty good.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Tebow was one of the greatest college quarterbacks of all time, and he will become one of, if not the greatest NFL quarterbacks of all time. NE should package their #1 pick from Oakland and Wilfork who is now expendable with the pickup of Lewis, to move up their 23 pick in this years draft as high as they can to make sure they get Tebow. With Tebow, it won't matter how gimpy Brady becomes. It will assure superbowls for the next 10 years!"

Tebow get-the-heck off this board and get to practicin', So IF NE does pick you, I won't have to cry myself to sleep for too many years...  Tim, Brady's suppossed to play til he's 40, and IF he's gonna be about @ 33 when the season begins, that'll give ya 7 full years to work on:  standard mid-route accuracy; strength of deep throws; not telegraphing your multiple reads in the NFL; hiking, setting, and playing within the shotgun formation; your painfully slow and slinging release when you pass; and finally-Having any sense of timing and prescence in your passing-pocket...  SEE Tebow, That gives you 1 year to work on each and every QB shortcoming that you'll get k!lled without mastering in the Pros, AND 1 extra year to learn NE's overly complicated playbook.  See ya under center, In 2017...NOW please, please, Let Us ALL get back to Paul_K talking more about placing identical twin, pretty stage assistants in dark places under some form of hypnosis, o.k.?  Paul, you may proceed sir 8^)   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

LoL, The one thing no one has an answer to is the fact that BB has never really tipped his hand on any of the NE drafts. I think no matter how good a reciever may look or a running back may look, (after being burned by CJ and LM) BB will go after Lb, OL, and DE. He must sure up his lines and get this team going with getting at other teams QB's. I see BB causeing a MEdia Stir so that he may trade out of the first round for 2nd and 3rd rounders, maybe even using next years 1st round and AT to get another pick or trade. This teams defense has to be able to manage teams in the late 4 quater or else. I think Im going to stay drunk until the draft.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

First lets talk needs , major/miner. For the past two years Ive been saying that the PATS have many major holes , while 99% of the people on here just talk about the lack of pass rush that kills this team. Not surprising because 99% of the people on here dont know what their talking about. If I ask you on the spot and didnt give you time to look it up on the net what type of 3-4 we run 99% of you wouldnt know. 99% of the people on here dont know that the PATS like to use their S's interchangeably or why taking a WR coming out of college that only played in the spread is more risky than usual. So it doesnt surprise me that most of you think " all we need is a pass rush and we'll be fine ". That couldnt be further from the truth.
     As I said before this team has many big holes to fill if they want to be a real contender. There is one good thing about having so many needs IMHO. Its the fact that you can almost go " best available " for most of the draft. With so many holes to fill we dont need to just focus on one area. Thats when teams gamble and miss because their so driven on getting that one guy. I mean the Ravens threw for 26 f'in yards and kicked our azz. Il start on D first. IMHO we have major needs at O/ILB , both positions absolutely need to be addressed. Ive been saying it all year since last years draft and will stick w/ me for the next 10 years. Whatever you think of last years draft I really think we blew it. I/OLB were needs last year and we could have had Matthews and/or Maualuga/Lauriniatis to fill those voids. We had those wants last year and still have them today. Yes we need a pass rush , my 11 y/o nephew could have told me that after watching the rumor that was our pass rush. But the ILB position is just as big of a need as any on D. Teams occupy Mayo w/ TE's and T/G's and do their best to take him out of the play w/ multiple blockers. Last year teams did everything but post it on the evening news that they were going to run at what would have been Sey's side and consistantly got the edge and beat us to it.  So the two backer positions are major needs for us. Again Im sorry , I hate being the " I know more than you guy " , but most of you just have no clue. You guys want to draft any OLB in the first just because its a hole that needs filling. So even if theres no-one worthy you guys still want to take someone there? That just shows your ignorance. And I keep hearing how deep this draft is from everyone and I really believe none of you have any idea what your talking about here and just repeat what you hear on TV. This draft isnt nearly as deep as many of you like to believe. If this draft was as deep as all of you like to believe then why is everyone dying to get out of the first , wheres the depth in the first round? If it was that deep then teams wouldnt care about the money , teams would be trying to get between picks 10-20. But there not because theres alot of medicroity this year. Take the OLB position , theres no-one here that completely stands apart from the next. Everyone keeps talking about Graham , and yes he has tons of potential , but you cant tell me that hes head and shoulders above Hughes/Washington or Bowman. I mean Selvie has as much upside as anybody when your talking about projected OLB's. Listen nobody needs to tell me that we need to get pressure on the QB in the worst way , but you dont take a guy that isnt worth it just to take him. So I agree w/ you on that , just not on where to take one. Something else Ive been hoping for is the possibility of trading up around 10/12/15 or so , and getting a stud in Haden , McClain , Berry , or Thomas. This team really needs a couple studs and all of those guys and a couple others would be great fits here. If we cant grab a playmaker then Id do everything possible to get into the early 2nd round , say 33-35 and go best available. That would be a great place to grab a Huges/Washington or Bowman , not to mention great value. So we have I/OLB as major needs and you can add DE to that list as well. Get all the pass rush you want , w/out a big , solid ,athletic bulldog to play the 5 technique teams will continue to burn us on that side. It amazes me when I hear people discredit and take shots at Sey , the guy was an absolute beast and one of the best ever to play the 5 tech. DE , OLB , ILB are MAJOR NEEDS. The others arnt exactly minor needs , not at all. We need help at CB and S. Maybe he will , but I think Butler needs a at least one or two more years to become a real starter. And Im sorry , but right now as we speak hes no where near being ready to take that role. In this day n age of complex , athletic and versatile D's you can never have to many CB's. Especially when you think about important the nickel has become , Kyle Wislon will be a first rounder on that fact alone. Look at Asante Samuel , he made a career and built on it playing out of the nickel. And I cringed when I heard someone post that " we're loaded " at the S position last week. Listen Im a fan of Meriweather , but theres just no denying the fact that he hasnt progressed the way we hoped he would and even took a step back last year. His tackling , wrapping up , angles are all suspect to say the least! And like I said before the PATS are one of the teams in the NFL that use their S's interchangeably , one play someone will drop back in coverage or play the TE if he's in the slot etc and the next play you could be in the box and having to read draw/screen/sneak etc and play up front. The PATS dont use a traditional FS like a Rhodes , Reed or a traditional SS like a Sanders , Williams etc. So IMHO a guy like Berry or Thomas , who I think is just as good and have been screaming about all year , would be invaluable. Both are ballhawks , can/will and like to tackle/hit , IMHO Thomas might even be a better tackler. Both are amazing and have all the ability in the world to become superstars and all pros for years to come. I laugh when people discredit the idea of taking a S early on in the draft. You really mean to tell me the next Reed , Polu , or Taylor(rip) isnt worth snatching up in the early-mid first. These guys make/made their respected D's and are as big of playmakers as you will ever find on that side of the ball. 

Next we have the O , many needs there , but not as many. We " mosdef " need to address the WR position and if it were up to me Id go after Marshall in a second. Hes a top 5 rec. whos in his prime and can do absolutely everything you would want. If not him then we have to address this position once w/ our first 4 picks. Receivers are extremely risky in the first , take Thomas for example. Yea tons of ability and upside , but the guy has ran 2 routes his whole time in college , the deep post and seem. Taking a guy that early could be a huge mistake , look at everything your asking him to do and learn. The D's in the NFL are so much better m bigger , faster , athletic than in college. Your talking about man coverage , press coverage etc , its very very tough to come in and make a difference in the NFL. The list of bust is most likely longer than any other position there is. Your just asking so much of these kids early on , but again like I said maybe more important is the type of O's these teams/receivers run in college. Next up Id go after a RG for our line. I guy I love is Mike Johnson from 'Bama , very athletic , versatile , smart , tough kid that w/ a lil' help could come in and make a difference this year. As I said hes smart , versatile and can also play both G positions. To my surprise hes still under the rader and I think we could grab him in the 3rd or 4th (assuming we get a 3rd) , IMHO getting him after the 2nd would be a huge steal. I really believe hes going to be a starter for many years to come. Another guy you have to like is Pouncey from Florida , another tough , versatile , athletic kid who can play multiple positions in the NFL. Most everyone Ive heard and talked to , along w/ myself believe he can play the C/G positions. This is a guy who definiitely isnt under the rader and will absolutely be gone by mid second , I think hes going in the late first. I hink we're ok at the T positions for the next year , but a guy like Brown from USC. Its very possible he goes in the first , but if he fall taking him in the second would be a great pick up. Other spots that have to be addressed are the TE and RB positions. Im not crazy on this years RB class , I see few every down backs so Id wait until the later rounds or try and trade into the 3rd and grab Gerhart , I believe this kid will be a real player/thumper in the league. I also like Best , maybe w/ our last 2nd , I think this kid will be as good as any of the backs graded high.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

On the first part I would mostly agree.  Personally, I would move O lineman up higher as a need.  OLB and WR are interesting because the team has some young talent that needs experience.  Will AD, Mckenzie or Crable see playing time next year?  If BB thinks so then how much of a priority will he put on drafting that position? 

On the Tebow posturing, I think it's entirely possible that those meetings have nothing to do with the Pats wanting to draft or mislead teams about who they draft.  BB and Meyer are good friends, maybe Meyer asked them to meet with Tebow and talk to him about what it takes to become successful in the NFL.  It would make sense for any young QB to want to meet with Brady and Belichick to pick their brains.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm not sure what BB thinks his biggest need is nor will I guess but Ketchup is my favorite condiment.

Sections
Shortcuts