Am I crazy to think signing your own players can be better than signing FA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

Am I crazy to think signing your own players can be better than signing FA

My thought is that all teams lose and acquire players during free agency.  Think of it as weight on a scale they lose 20lbs gain 20 lbs,  some teams though lose more than they gain and so forth.  The pats would have lost huge not to sign VW, Neal and Bodden.  On top of that if they did lose them and signed big money guys to replace them the risk of these new players fitting into our system/locker room etc is huge.  So signing your own guys has a much lower failure rate and is good for the locker room.  On top of that we did sign a great backup DL Williams and Holt who will compete for starting wide out opposite Moss for shorter lower $$ contract so we don't handicapp ourselves trying to resign more of our great players down the road.  On top of that we don't lose this years or future draft pics. 

The grand scheme of this is that you build your team thru the draft and from keeping as many of the best players you can.  The Pats are the leaders in this area and it's acknowledge throughout the league. 

Am I right or just lying to myself????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Am I crazy to think signing your own players can be better than signing FA

No you are not crazy. If talent and all things equal resigning your own player gives you the advantage. This is do to them already knowing the system and they already interact with the players around them. This is of course provided that the guy is wanted back and gets along with the teammates.

VW was the top NT on the market, Bodden was the 2nd best cb on the market, I would consider Faulk the best 3rd down back on the market. And since they were already on the team all the better. On the other hand would could have used a WR upgrade (Holt wasn't the best wr out there but you can't always get the best) and at OLB TBC I wouldn't consider any better if not worse then Taylor.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Am I crazy to think signing your own players can be better than signing FA:
    Except that retaining your own quality players helps you not get worse.  If you have those same needs as before you stayed even, would you expect different results? 
    Posted by bjesuss

OK since the Pats signed almost the same amount of FA's as anyone else lets clean the slate and say they didn't sign Crumpler, Holt, Wilfork, TBC, Faulk, and Bodden. You have 6 players to pick, and given the salaries they ended up getting try to keep it realistic (in other words Peppers + Robinson + Marshall is a bit unrealistic). Have fun pick 6 and tell me who you would rather have. I'll even give you 1 extra signing.

Here's mine:

no TBC rather have Taylor. My extra signing would be T Jones. And I'd rather have Walter or Boldin over Holt except the difference in pay is so much not sure if that wold work

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Am I crazy to think signing your own players can be better than signing FA:
    In Response to Re: Am I crazy to think signing your own players can be better than signing FA : I don't get your point.  If you have 5 or 6 decent players that are FAs and you don't resign them, you get worse (unless you have depth at that position or sign someone else.  So, who is better off?  A team that signs (trades etc) 3 or 4 decent FAs and doesn't have many of their own (or signs them too) or the team that keeps their own decent FAs?   
    Posted by bjesuss

The point is we've made 7 pretty decent FA signings (Wilfork, Bodden, Faulk, Holt, Lewis, Crumpler, TB) that's more then almost everyone else. There are only so many spots on the team and only so much cap space (yes I know there isn't one this year but we all know a new cba will have to include one). Signing a ton of FA's is not the best thing in the world for your cap and there is no reason to believe they will work out either (ala AD and Galloway and a host of others out there). When there is a critical need they did go out and grab a couple FA's, Crumpler(the best blocking TE in FA), Lewis(a Green replacement) and Holt(not the best #2 but you can't always get the best) which means they didn't get worse resigning tere own guys and improved by slightly upgrading a couple of positions. But you still didn't name the 3 or 4 players you wanted to sign.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The Patriots have lost only Watson,Baker,Green,and Hanson. They gained Crumpler,Patten,Holt,Lewis,Murrell and the Aussie rules punter David King. They also retained the services of TBC,Woods,Neal,Gostkowski,Bodden,Faulk,and Alexander. They are far and away a better team than they were at the end of last season without having drafted or even acquiring anyone via trade that would have cost them draft choices. This will be a great draft and camp will be a beast as these guys will be fighting for jobs from jump street. Also before you jump on me about Alexander or Woods they are both intricate members of the return team and they are valuable substitutes at their positions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Definitely not crazy.  If we didn't re-sign our FA's, we'd only have more holes to fill.  In fact, some of our current holes are the result of not re-signing some of our past FA's.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Yes we do have many holes but there is a thing called the system and not every player fits that system. BB likes to find certain players to fill those roles and tends to draft kids he can mold into that fashion. Considering the same system made us the winningest team this past decade (including playoffs) I might be less likely to stray away from his line of thinking then to head more into the Washington system of damn the torpedos full speed ahead. I also would like to cite with the Jets (since you dhave it as a reference) that switching Jones for LT is a downgrade, losing Rhodes but gaining Cromartie was a plus, losing Feely wasn't the smartest move, and getting Holmes might be good or bad depending on both if he cleans his act up and if Sanchez can become a lot better then he was. Without Jones, Sanchez needs to be a lot better. All in all I'm not sure if the Jets have improved that much more then the Pats did this off-season so far and the Pats are setup for much better draft. I'm just saying the off-season isn't over and there is a limit to the amoun of players you can get. Given the quality of the players they resigned and the position they have placed themselves in the draft they might be in better shape to improve overall then most teams have or will.

Sections
Shortcuts