Am I the only one?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Am I the only one?

I thought this thread could detract a bit from the influx of negative threads surrounding Hern and provide some interesting discussion regarding the new receiving corps. 

Am I the only one who, in a way, is excited that Brady has so many ‘unproven’ receivers heading into training camp?  Don’t confuse this with me being ecstatic that Brady doesn’t have his usual reliable targets and that I hope he goes into the season throwing passes to Joe Shmo from the local Burger King, but more that new, reliable targets will emerge from this transformation of receivers.

Having (possibly) Hern gone, Welker gone, and (possibly) Gronk out for the first 6 weeks will require these new receivers to establish a connection with Brady that will pay dividends when Gronk returns and when we need a deep corps going into the playoffs.  Brady has gone into several seasons with tons of question marks at WR, TE, OL, and RB before and guess what?  Every single year he has led that group to become a cohesive, dominant unit. 

There is a TON of young potential in this group.  I love the talent that both Boyce and Dobson display but they surely have a lot of work to do in understanding NFL schemes, our playbook, and connecting with Brady.  I think that is half the fun watching these guys establish connections and grow with Brady.   Amendola looks to already have a good connection with Brady in OTAs and that relationship will only develop which will help wash away the longing for Wes.  Also, by all reports in training camp, Jenkins has looked great.  He will be a solid veteran presence.  The potential of Sudfeld at TE while Gronk is out intrigues me as well.

Now, if we are going into the postseason with Gronk on IR, Amendola on IR, Hern not on the team, etc. then I will be worried.  But being that it’s only June and we have a full training camp and 17 weeks (of season) until the playoffs, I’m excited to watch the growth.  Sure, there will be some frustration along the way and the “he sux, he’s a bust, we shoulda signed so-and-so” will emerge but because we have Brady at QB and BB at HC, we don’t have to worry about missing the playoffs.  That alone, I hope, should provide some security to the worriers and just relax and watch Brady work his magic with the new unit.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Am I the only one?

I've thought that the complete makeover of the receiver corps was a good thing since it became apparent that that is the way it is shaking out.  Initially there will be some growing pains but I like the team's long term prospects with this group.  Apart from the entire group getting decidedly younger there is most definitely the potential for at least one deep threat emerging.  Yep, I, too like it overall.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

I thought this thread could detract a bit from the influx of negative threads surrounding Hern and provide some interesting discussion regarding the new receiving corps. 

Am I the only one who, in a way, is excited that Brady has so many ‘unproven’ receivers heading into training camp?  Don’t confuse this with me being ecstatic that Brady doesn’t have his usual reliable targets and that I hope he goes into the season throwing passes to Joe Shmo from the local Burger King, but more that new, reliable targets will emerge from this transformation of receivers.

Having (possibly) Hern gone, Welker gone, and (possibly) Gronk out for the first 6 weeks will require these new receivers to establish a connection with Brady that will pay dividends when Gronk returns and when we need a deep corps going into the playoffs.  Brady has gone into several seasons with tons of question marks at WR, TE, OL, and RB before and guess what?  Every single year he has led that group to become a cohesive, dominant unit. 

There is a TON of young potential in this group.  I love the talent that both Boyce and Dobson display but they surely have a lot of work to do in understanding NFL schemes, our playbook, and connecting with Brady.  I think that is half the fun watching these guys establish connections and grow with Brady.   Amendola looks to already have a good connection with Brady in OTAs and that relationship will only develop which will help wash away the longing for Wes.  Also, by all reports in training camp, Jenkins has looked great.  He will be a solid veteran presence.  The potential of Sudfeld at TE while Gronk is out intrigues me as well.

Now, if we are going into the postseason with Gronk on IR, Amendola on IR, Hern not on the team, etc. then I will be worried.  But being that it’s only June and we have a full training camp and 17 weeks (of season) until the playoffs, I’m excited to watch the growth.  Sure, there will be some frustration along the way and the “he sux, he’s a bust, we shoulda signed so-and-so” will emerge but because we have Brady at QB and BB at HC, we don’t have to worry about missing the playoffs.  That alone, I hope, should provide some security to the worriers and just relax and watch Brady work his magic with the new unit.

Mob, the fast track training, 1st team experience, and assimilation into the offense that these new guys are getting from day 1 until the other guys return, if ever, will be HUGE. Gettin all of the reps they will now get will make them so much more prepared for the season and comfortable with Tom. These advantages alone are reason to be excited. Change is good, especially when it is forcing immediate advanced training of new players, in the TEMPORARY absence of your star duirng the preason. In the end, they will be splitting time vs. only getting a few plays a game once everyone is back to health. Their value to the team is dramatically increased when it matters most, last half of the season and play-offs. Maybe a glass half full perspective, but a fact nonetheless.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to NedBraden's comment:

Obviously, you're not.  Everyone here knows my position on this and I've stood behind it since BB walked from Welkie.

I think BB feels that Brady got too comfortable with the talents of certain WRs since 2007.  I think it's why they are walking from Branch or even Stallworth. And, Gaffney. Stallworth can still play, but he just went back to the Skins.

Think about it. Moss is out there. Lloyd.  

We know these guys in some fashion can play in this system, were there for the taking and can be had for dirt cheap.  So, why aren't they at least invited into camp?  Not a coincidence.

This is a concerted effort by BB to weak what he sees as Brady's flaws as QB. If you see it, if I see it, if my entire family (and some of my Pats friends) see it, BB sees it.  Some here call this "bashing" Brady. It's not bashing. It's acknowledging what he wanted, what he preferred, did not work. Period.

It's so obvious.  He held onto Jake Ballard for an entire year, paid him, etc, too.  That's not a coincidence.  Trading for a bigger back like Blount is also not a coincidence (yes, I know he isn't a classic power back).

Next, I like Julian Edelman. I think he was playing very well all over the field last year early in the season, mostl being used as the X WR. He was abusing the Ravens in Week before Reed's illegal to the head knocked Edelman out in the end zone.  Clearly, it's all about health with him.

Further, the rookie WRs (Dobson, Boyce or Thompkins) or new FA WRs like Jones, Jenkins or Hawkins, all force Brady to work with all of those WRs like the old days.   Pre 2007, Brady didn't have a favroite WR or two.  He'd hit the guy who has open at ANY part of the field.  When was the last time he put a ball 15-20 yards outside of the hash into box, in between coverage? 2010 in Week 5 after Branch came back?  I mean, really. Think about that.  Brady used to hit Reche Caldwell like that in 2006.  Reche Caldwell. 

He knew the way Weis wanted the offense run was about deception and balance.   This is my main reason for excitement.  The return of knowing that is who you have to play because hitting Welkie over and over, while somewhat easy at times, compromises your approach over the course of the game and in the red zone. Think Seattle last year.  Welker was shut down in the second half.  He could only line up in the slot and be effective in the shotgun. It's a fact. I just watched Pats All Access last night from 6.14.  Amendola is lining up on the flanks, not just in the slot. I get it's only mini camp, but that's not a coincidence.  Welker NEVER lined up on the flank other than to get the D to show something or be used as decoy. Amendola not only will line up all over, he'll be effective on the flanks.

What the media will do is pretend this was a mistake by BB and the Pats are "doomed" and all this crap (John Clayton at ESPN is already using the premise), but the reshuffling of the deck, so to speak, is by design.  By design. Some of our fans right here, the many who are so clueless thinking Welker was lowballed or somehow wanted to leave here, don't realize this either.

It will force Brady to work with all instead of just practicing with the regulars whom know the system cold and where they just practice to practice. Brady lowered the drawbridge last year for the first time by allowing Edelman in. Lloyd, too, I believe.  I think BB forced that to happen instead of years before with Brady and Welker hanging out in LA and being the only ones practicing together.  This year, Amendola was out there doing it immediately. I don't think that is a coincidence.

Personally, as a diehard fan of this team, who feels Brady has been far worse in the intangible areas of the postion (game management, decision making, throws to all parts of the field with accuracy, etc) since 2007, I breathe a huge sigh of relief just like after BB dealt Moss in 2010.   It's been so frustrating watching Brady fall prey to falling into these bad habits every year in such a subliminal way, YEAR AFTER YEAR. Just painful to watch someone repeat the same mistakes where they don't know why it's happening or they think they themselves can fix it. It's clear BB has stepped in to shake the cage a bit here.

What will happen is, the D will be really good and all the drama about no Welkie (or possibly Hern) will be an afterthought because Brady will be the QB of old again. The pink helmets will be bored with it, but I don't care. I can't wait.

Anyway great post, Irish.  Hopefully, we can have football discussions in peace without being harrassed by the ones here who troll and look to derail honest Pats fans trying to be honest and objective.

Come on, Russ.  I didn't want this to open up as an opportunity at another Brady Bashing session.  It isn't needed or wanted in this thread.  Let's just discuss new connections, development, roster/stat predictions without taking a slight at Brady.  I don't want to get into it with you, dude.

I don't think BB is trying to weaken what he sees as Brady's flaws.  There's really only been one instance (Welker) where it seems that you could propose that theory.  I think the reason that Welker left was because BB/Kraft gave Welker a "take it or leave it" offer, he declined, so they went and sought after the nearest replacement for him (Amendola).  He's younger, a tad more versatile, and has played in Josh's system.  It's a perfect match if we couldn't resign Welker.  It's not like Stallworth, Gaffney, Lloyd were prime targets for Brady where you could show that he was 'addicted' to passing to them.  I just don't think Lloyd fit  in with the team well and Stallworth is pretty much done.   Not sure why they haven't brought back Gaffney or why he hasn't gotten much attention on the market.  I think he could come in and be a decent option.

I think you made a lot of great points outside of that.  I especially agree with the sentiment that having new receivers will force the receivers and Brady to establish connections and broaden Brady's arsenal so he's not zoned in on only 1 or 2 targets.  That is the reason I'm excited because we can see so many new connections grow instead of just Welker, Gronk and Hern.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

I

Mob, the fast track training, 1st team experience, and assimilation into the offense that these new guys are getting from day 1 until the other guys return, if ever, will be HUGE. Gettin all of the reps they will now get will make them so much more prepared for the season and comfortable with Tom. These advantages alone are reason to be excited. Change is good, especially when it is forcing immediate advanced training of new players, in the TEMPORARY absence of your star duirng the preason. In the end, they will be splitting time vs. only getting a few plays a game once everyone is back to health. Their value to the team is dramatically increased when it matters most, last half of the season and play-offs. Maybe a glass half full perspective, but a fact nonetheless.

Great post, Rally.  This was one of my main reasons for excitement.  I obviously want Gronk on the field at all times, but putting him on PUP if he isn't 100% healthy is NOT the end of the world and could actually benefit this team in the long run.  These rookies and new FA's are going to be getting a TON of work in TC and early in the season which, like I said, will pay huge dividends towards the end of the season heading into the playoffs.  I want this team to be back like it was in the early 2000s with several guys getting 40+ catches and Brady's favorite target being the "open man."  It was so fun to watch because it was so fluid and everybody contributed.

I hope that we don't need to rely on Gronk and Amendola for 160+ catches together.  In a perfect world, we would have 5 players in the 40-60 catch range.  But, this goes without saying that the receivers also need to work to gain Brady's trust so that he can rely on them during the games.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

bumped 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to Navin Johnson's comment:

Look at the queenies talking to eachother bwahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7LPaMqFP8

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

The toughest part of rookie develpment is ALWAYS being able to provide them with enough game speed reps and the opportuinity to build chemistry with the first team, especailly for a receiver and his chemistry and timing with Tom. This will also afford the coaches the opportuinity to better evaluate their performance against 1st team D-backs in 7-on-7 and skeleton non contact drills instead of going against second teamers thus losing the impression of a good catch being that the defender is usually of lesser standing. Nothing can beat the confidence that they will be forced to gain and the exposure and coaching from the staff as first teamers. Lots of pressure yes, but just like bootcamp in the military, they will be prapared for the game time battle much more than if they crawled, walked, then ran through their first preseason camps like rookies usually do. Its gonna be a lot of fun seeing who steps up in this group. I think Dobson is going to be very special for us, and for a long time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

31. 28. 21. 24. 26. 31. 24. 41.

8 games last year the Pats allowed the opponant to score more then 20 points. I dont care if Ned Braden, Buncker Sprinkles and Rusty Griswold line at at WR for the Pats, if the defense can keep the team in games.

You can blame, Brady, BB, JoshMcD or me...but last year this offense needed to score points for the team to win. Will this years offense change its stripes to a more conservative offense? Can this defense keep the team in games? As a tip of the hat to Rusty, will Brady keep the Pats defense off the field?

To not be concerned about the WR's is not trollish..it is being a true fan. If the mindset of BB, Josh McD and TB is to play a fast paced offense similar to years past, I will say it today..this group of WR's has me very concerned...however, I do think that if Amendola, Edelman and Jones are healthy all season, and Gronk plays the year, and Ballard is healthy...this offense can keep rolling.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

8 games last year the Pats allowed the opponant to score more then 20 points. I dont care if Ned Braden, Buncker Sprinkles and Rusty Griswold line at at WR for the Pats, if the defense can keep the team in games.

You can blame, Brady, BB, JoshMcD or me...but last year this offense needed to score points for the team to win. Will this years offense change its stripes to a more conservative offense? Can this defense keep the team in games? As a tip of the hat to Rusty, will Brady keep the Pats defense off the field?

To not be concerned about the WR's is not trollish..it is being a true fan. If the mindset of BB, Josh McD and TB is to play a fast paced offense similar to years past, I will say it today..this group of WR's has me very concerned...however, I do think that if Amendola, Edelman and Jones are healthy all season, and Gronk plays the year, and Ballard is healthy...this offense can keep rolling.

Thanks for hijacking my thread and opening it up to an offense vs. defense b*tchfest for the upteenth time on this board.  This thread is about the prospects in this new receiving corps.  It is not about the defense AT ALL.  If you would like to start another thread about how the defense needs to perform better, what players intrigue you, etc.,  do as you wish and I will gladly join you in discussion.  But I do not want this thread turning into the crap heap it always does when posters are trying to analyze one side of the ball, but instead detractors come in and start a flamewar interjecting the other side of the ball.

In regards to your last paragraph, I think you will see a different offensive philosophy.  I don't think we will see the hurry-up used as extensively as years past but instead, go back to a ground-and-pound and well-balanced offense with several receiving options contributing.  The days of seeing 100+ catches and 20+ touchdowns are over.  I really do think we can see 6-7 receivers with 45+ catches this season.  

There will be growing pains among the young/new receivers but I think because Brady doesn't have his usual reliable targets, it will force them to make a connection instead of just ignoring them as a whole.  We've seen it several times over the past few years where Brady and a receiver weren't on the same page and the receivers were basically shunned because they couldn't get it.  Having Moss, Welker, Gronk and Hern allowed this but because we don't have as many reliable weapons as years past, I think they will take the miscommunication head on and demand that the problem be fixed instead of looking to the main targets exclusively.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Pay attention, folks....RKrap is now attempting to derail Irish MOb's genuine attempt at discussion. I will quickly slap RKrap's agenda now:

RKrap, please tell us WHICH games and which opponents where those point allowed, occurred. I will easily slap at least half of those games off your list, if not more or ALL of them.

Go ahead. State the games. I'll tell you right now, one of them is Denver where NE was up 34-7 by the end of the 3rd qtr and BB went into a prevent to avoid showing anything else on film vs Gomer and Denver.  Does it all the time, every year in games like that, going back to the SB years.

Rusty, don't even engage him.  You know damn well that he's just going to keep on with it if you reply to him.  It's just fuel to the fire.  Let it go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

24, 30, 29, 43, 23, 31, 34, 23, 35, 31

What's this? It's the ten times the Ravens gave up more than 20 pts in 2012 (the last two were in the postseason). Kind of a random stat, wouldn't you say?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I've thought that the complete makeover of the receiver corps was a good thing since it became apparent that that is the way it is shaking out.  Initially there will be some growing pains but I like the team's long term prospects with this group.  Apart from the entire group getting decidedly younger there is most definitely the potential for at least one deep threat emerging.  Yep, I, too like it overall.

A very difficult balancing act for GM's and coaches in pro sports is how much youth and associated energy must there be added to a group of established veteran players each season to generate the right amount of competativeness in the enviroment to keep things interesting for all of them by offsetting  veteran complacency. The term as we all know it is "familiarity breeds contempt". This is very true in sports. In this area NFL football teams are no different than an MLB Team may be when it comes to the collective phsycological make-up and personality of the TEAM. As we see with the Red Sox, the infusion of new players and youth has had a major impact on the overall energy of the group and the enthusiasm with which they appear to play in comparison to the last two tragic results. This new group of Patriots and the likelihood that many of them will start thier season on the first team becasue of injuries, free agent entires, etc. will give a new level of excitement and energy to this PATS team over all. Our D got this type of boost last season from its youth and additions. The offense will benefit most from it this season. Change is good for everybody in sports....but as always, you gotta have a near perfect balance for it to work. I think this team is positioned extremely well in this area. I know I am excited about it. I imagine lots of the players, not just the new guys are too. There is something special about being the veteran who knows he is gonna have a new guy in the trenches on the first team with him that makes him want to be there for him as a teacher, leader, and in general a "This is how we do it here" type of guy. At least thats how it works on the GOOD TEAMS.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm very excited to see how the new receivers pan out.  I've been wanting the Pats to revamp their receiver corp and add youth for a while and it's nice to see them headed in that direction.

That said, however, it's still ridiculously early to get excited about any of the individual players . . . we'll need to see them perform in camp and preseason before we really can start to get excited about what they might do.  At this point, they are mostly relative unknowns who you could replace with a bunch of other guys and be just as excited, since it's all based on hope rather than actual performance . . . 

As far as Rusty's idea that BB is taking away receivers from Brady and giving him new ones to force him to throw to different people, that's just crazy talk.  I'm not sure even Rusty really believes what he's saying it's so crazy . . . 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Thanks for hijacking my thread and opening it up to an offense vs. defense b*tchfest for the upteenth time on this board.  This thread is about the prospects in this new receiving corps.  It is not about the defense AT ALL.  If you would like to start another thread about how the defense needs to perform better, what players intrigue you, etc.,  do as you wish and I will gladly join you in discussion.  But I do not want this thread turning into the crap heap it always does when posters are trying to analyze one side of the ball, but instead detractors come in and start a flamewar interjecting the other side of the ball.

In regards to your last paragraph, I think you will see a different offensive philosophy.  I don't think we will see the hurry-up used as extensively as years past but instead, go back to a ground-and-pound and well-balanced offense with several receiving options contributing.  The days of seeing 100+ catches and 20+ touchdowns are over.  I really do think we can see 6-7 receivers with 45+ catches this season.  

There will be growing pains among the young/new receivers but I think because Brady doesn't have his usual reliable targets, it will force them to make a connection instead of just ignoring them as a whole.  We've seen it several times over the past few years where Brady and a receiver weren't on the same page and the receivers were basically shunned because they couldn't get it.  Having Moss, Welker, Gronk and Hern allowed this but because we don't have as many reliable weapons as years past, I think they will take the miscommunication head on and demand that the problem be fixed instead of looking to the main targets exclusively.

If this thread is about the offense, what exactly excites you? The rookies are rookies in a Pats offense...when was the last time they grasped the offense and were able to contribute? Branch and Givens?

I am looking forward to Edelman and Amendola playing...I think if healthy they both are capable of big years. Jenkins, Hawkins and Jones to me are a step down from Lloyd...hard to get "excited" with these guys...

I saw Zudfeld at OTA's...I think he has a bright future. I did not see Ford...lets face it...Gronk and Hern are a huge part of the excitement

So like I said, after watching OTA's and watching the Hern situation unfold, and Gronks surgery unfold...I am hoping Ridley, Vareen and Blount/Bolden are good for 2500-2800 yards, and the defense takes that next step

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pay attention, folks....RKrap is now attempting to derail Irish MOb's genuine attempt at discussion. I will quickly slap RKrap's agenda now:

RKrap, please tell us WHICH games and which opponents where those point allowed, occurred. I will easily slap at least half of those games off your list, if not more or ALL of them.

Go ahead. State the games. I'll tell you right now, one of them is Denver where NE was up 34-7 by the end of the 3rd qtr and BB went into a prevent to avoid showing anything else on film vs Gomer and Denver.  Does it all the time, every year in games like that, going back to the SB years.

Ravens (L), Bills (W), Broncos (W), Seahawks (L), 49'ers (L), Bills (W), Colts (W), Jets (W), Cards (L)

Spin it anyways you want Russ...

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts