am i WRONG for now considering ELWAY as the BEST qb ever?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: am i WRONG for now considering ELWAY as the BEST qb ever?

not sure why you would suddenly think this, excluding the Johnny Unitas generation I've been back and forth in my mind with Elway and Montana for best QB ever for a long time. 

I usually give a slight edge to Montana in my mind because of the four rings and how he performed to get them. 

I tend to rank Brady 3rd (again excluding Unitas, Graham etc) and after that a number of guys. Peyton coming on strong but needs a win on Sunday for sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Number 4, imo.  Bazooka arm, great mobility, one of the most athletic QB's to play the game, not afraid to take a hit, 148 career wins, 51,000+ passing yards, went to 5 Super Bowls, won 2 of them.  Elway made the Broncos relevant every year.  Best ever?  Some people can make the argument, but he isn't the best ever in my book.  He was number 2 for a long time until Brady and Manning moved ahead of him. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I would have to agree with TFB12 Elway was a great QB but the guy who carried his Super Bowl teams was Terrell Davis, I'm not taking anything away from John he's a great QB and even ranking them is foolish because every franchise has had their great QB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

I would have to agree with TFB12 Elway was a great QB but the guy who carried his Super Bowl teams was Terrell Davis, I'm not taking anything away from John he's a great QB and even ranking them is foolish because every franchise has had their great QB.

Amen, brother! Elway wouldn't have sniffed a SB trophy without Davis. Davis carried those two Denver championship teams. I know that his career was brief due to injury. Nonetheless, Davis was a great player, who belongs in the Hall of Fame.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Being frank with you, there is no right or wrong answer about a subjective topic.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

Not to be disrespectful nor contrarian, but I was intriqued by this assertion, so I tried to name as many 'great' QB's per team.  Of course some teams enjoyed the good fortune to have had more than one 'great' QB, so I'm not rating them, just listing those that come to mind.

My conclusion, not every team has had a great QB.

Ravens      ?????

Bengals     Esiason

Steelers   Bradshaw

Browns     Graham

Texans     ?????

Colts       Manning

Jaguars   ?????

Titans     McNair (???)

Bills        Kelly

Dolphins  Marino

Jets        Namath

Broncos   Elway

Chiefs     Dawson

Raiders   Stabler

Chargers  Fouts

Bears       Luckman

Lions        Layne

Packers    Starr

Vikings     Tarkenton

Falcons     Bartkowski

Panthers   ??????

Saints     Brees

Buccaneers   Testaverde

Cowboys    Aikman

Giants      Simms

Eagles      McNabb

Redskins    Theismann

Cardinals    Warner

49 ers       Montana

Seahawks   Hasselbeck

Rams         Warner

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Not to be disrespectful nor contrarian, but I was intriqued by this assertion, so I tried to name as many 'great' QB's per team.  Of course some teams enjoyed the good fortune to have had more than one 'great' QB, so I'm not rating them, just listing those that come to mind.

Ravens      ?????

Bengals     Esiason

Steelers   Bradshaw

Browns     Graham

Texans     ?????

Colts       Manning

Jaguars   ?????

Titans     McNair (???)

Bills        Kelly

Dolphins  Marino

Jets        Namath

Broncos   Elway

Chiefs     Dawson

Raiders   Stabler

Chargers  Fouts

Bears       Luckman

Lions        Layne

Packers    Starr

Vikings     Tarkenton

Falcons     Bartkowski

Panthers   ??????

Saints     Brees

Buccaneers   Testaverde

Cowboys    Aikman

Giants      Simms

Eagles      McNabb

Redskins    Theismann

Cardinals    Warner

49 ers       Montana

Seahawks   Hasselbeck

Rams         Warner

You missed an obvious one.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to antibody's comment:

In response to dustcover's comment:

Ravens      ?????

Bengals     Esiason

Steelers   Bradshaw

Browns     Graham

Texans     ?????

Colts       Manning

Jaguars   ?????

Titans     McNair (???)

Bills        Kelly

Dolphins  Marino

Jets        Namath

Broncos   Elway

Chiefs     Dawson

Raiders   Stabler

Chargers  Fouts

Bears       Luckman

Lions        Layne

Packers    Starr

Vikings     Tarkenton

Falcons     Bartkowski

Panthers   ??????

Saints     Brees

Buccaneers   Testaverde

Cowboys    Aikman

Giants      Simms

Eagles      McNabb

Redskins    Theismann

Cardinals    Warner

49 ers       Montana

Seahawks   Hasselbeck

Rams         Warner

You missed an obvious one.

Senior moment or mental f*rt on my part.  BRADY for sure.  Thanks for keeping me on my toes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

My list

Manning

Montana

Brady

Marino

Kelly

Elway

Favre

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Statistically Elway isn't all that great...he's never thrown for over 30 TD passes in his career, he's thrown for over 4000 yards only once, he's had 19 17 23 and 18 interceptions in a single season. His career completion percentage is 56.9...56.9! He started at quarterback for 15 years - Brady has only started for 12 (when you consider the season lost to injury and a year behind Bledsoe), despite that he has 60 more td passes and 100 less interceptions, he will also destroy him in passing yards if he plays the same amount of seasons (as it stands now he only trails him by 1000 yards).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to CommyContrarianOnTwitter's comment:

i have to incl his work as GM in his overall ranking.

Don't let Rusty see you refer to Elway as a GM.  Hahaha!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Yes because you're pretty much always wrong with everything.

Elway, Favre, etc are the most overrated QBs of all time.   Running around and throwing doesn't mean you're a great QB.

Elway and Favre lost more games with wild, risky throws and INTs than they won big games. Truth.

Elways is also the worst SB QB I've ever seen.  His cap cheating 1997 and 1998 games weren't even good either. He just handed it off to cap cheating Terrell Davis each year.

It's insulting to even have him in the top 5 discussion.  He's a back end top 10 guy with Favre at best.

Go look at Elway's QB/INT ratio. You'll be stunned if you don't already know how poor it is.

The only part I dont get of your post is you saying all elway did was hand it off to Davis.ok no problem ,but isnt that what you want Brady to do?So if good for Brady then way not Elway?

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Yes because you're pretty much always wrong with everything.

Elway, Favre, etc are the most overrated QBs of all time.   Running around and throwing doesn't mean you're a great QB.

Elway and Favre lost more games with wild, risky throws and INTs than they won big games. Truth.

Elways is also the worst SB QB I've ever seen.  His cap cheating 1997 and 1998 games weren't even good either. He just handed it off to cap cheating Terrell Davis each year.

It's insulting to even have him in the top 5 discussion.  He's a back end top 10 guy with Favre at best.

Go look at Elway's QB/INT ratio. You'll be stunned if you don't already know how poor it is.

The only part I dont get of your post is you saying all elway did was hand it off to Davis.ok no problem ,but isnt that what you want Brady to do?So if good for Brady then way not Elway?

What was Elways passing numbers in his last SB vs the Falcons?

18/29 for 336 yards and 1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD.

Davis 25 carries 105 yards and 0 td's.

Elway did it back to back then retired like a boss!  Top 5 all time great.

Rusty is a fraud!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

My list

Manning

Montana

Brady

Marino

Kelly

Elway

Favre

wow interesting.

just wondering what puts PM #1 for you?

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytftwofive. Show jaytftwofive's posts

I love how people think Elway was a better QB at age 37 then 27 because he won a Super Bowl. Of course he was better at 27 then 37. He lost to better teams in all 3 of those SB losses. And in that Supr Bowl victory over the Packers he threw for 123 yards no TD's and one int. Favre threw for 256 yards, 3 Td's and one int. The next year against the Falcons he had a great game and threw for over 350 yards I believe. Everybody also forgets that Terrell Davis missed the entire 2nd qtr of that win over the Packers because of dizziness and headaches.  I would rate Elway up there but not ahead of Montana or Unitas or Graham or Manning or Brady or even Favre. Was Troy Aikman a better QB then Kenny Anderson because he played on better teams and won 3 Super Bowls? A lot of great QB's don't have rings like Marino and Tarkenton.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I would rank Farve ahead of Elway...

As well as Montana, TB, Manning, Rodgers, Unitas, Starr and Staubach. I tend to like Young more than Elway. I think Marino and Fouts were as good as Elway (better pure passers than Elway). I would tend to rate Jurgensen higher.

I would actually rate ARCHIE Manning higher... he is one of the very most underrated QBs of all time. I know that that is likely the most debatable but if you watched his career and how good he played with such a bad team every year....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

When I think of Marino, I always refer to, Drive for show, Putt for dough. Fouts up there too.

These 2 guys would have flourished in todays NFL.

Sections
Shortcuts