Amendola and Welker together?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Amendola and Welker together?

I believe the Patriots sign Welker. I believe Brady's contract was in part due to TB wanting WW back and really, why wouldn't he? 

I've heard others say that is the Patriots don't sing WW then they go after Amendola. But, what about going after Amendola after they sign WW?

Think about it. How about 2 slots receivers like WW and DA lined up? Can you imagine? Patriots have always changed things up with regards to conventional lineups. Look at the 2 TE's that can actually catch and run setup? How's that workin'?

Mike Wallace would be a huge catch for sure but, at what price? DA would also perhaps extend WW's productivity a little longer and ensure that if the Patriots signed WW to a 5 year deal, he'd be able to play healthy and at a high level. Yeah there are surely plenty of reason why this would never happen but, I get goosebumps thinking about it. 

I really wonder if the Patriots want Brandon Lloyd back. With the money freed up by TB's contract, they have some room to go after a good free agent or lock up players like Woodhead, Vollmer, WW and Edelman. Drafting Tavon Austin really intrigues me too. Yes, he's small but, his versatility surely has BB thinking about him. Waterbug like moves and olympian speed along with that versatility.....you have to consider him. Don't forget we also have Jeff Demps who didn't play a game this year. He'll be trying to make the cut. 

I think Mallet's time has to be coming to an end. Bring a veteran or even bring Hoyer back (he's a FA). Mallet may very well go on to be great but, this drafts weak QB crop makes his value higher. Get a big WR. We'll have enough smaller players so, get a big WR. If Wallace can be had? Be foolish not to consider him. Would be a dream target for TB and he'd also be that player that attracts double coverage. Now picture that WW/Amendola combo along with Wallace wide and Gronk lined up too. So we don't get Wallace, draft a WR like Terrance Williams or even Justin Hunter who could be had in later rounds. 

Let Talib walk. Sign Ed Reed. Edelman? I love the guy but, if he's asking too much let him walk and then it's time to go after Amendola. Draft a good SS and let him learn from Reed. 

Random thoughts for sure but, why not? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Re: Amendola and Welker together?

No. I personally expect the Pats to sign Welker (or find a replacement through FA or the draft) and go for 1 outside WR/deep threat. I don't see us drafting/signing 2 slot guys, especially with Amendola's injury history.

Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez is enough for the middle of the field...could even add Ballard. Pats need to get someone to help Lloyd on the outside. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Why not?  I can think of many reasons why not.  Brady's crappy postseason numbers in recent years, staring down the routes in the middle of the field, almost exclusively.

Why would we need like 5 or 6 mid field route runners at this point? We have a QB who throws in the shotgun, even in the red zone, where the degree of difficulty is higher, but you want to shrink the field from the side even more?

Why?

Here is the list of route runners who run mostly in and out of the hashes, never running around on the perimeters:

Welker, Hern, Gronk, Edelman, Ballard (when he gets here)

That's 5. So, you want to add a 6th?

Amendola will be a priority for STL because he's Bradford's favorite guy.   NE won't compete against itself.  Welker will sign first, either here or somewhere else, and then Amendola will negotiate off of that.  Putting so much money into these passing options for Brady is insane.

I would look a the cheapest options of guys like Hartline, Malcolm Floyd, Bowe.  Someone brought up the likely cheap David Nelson. Yes, sign me up.

Resign Edelman on the cheap, go after a Hartline to hurt Miami and get someone who can work the flank opposite Lloyd.  Bowe, I am not a big fan of because of the drops and the Chiefs having issues with him, but if he's cheap, then great.  Maybe Earl Bennett gets cut by Chicago, and if that happens where he doesn't want to restructure, jump all over him.

Mike Wallace will want huge money because he thinks he's better than he is.   I say no to that idea.  The last thing this team needs is someone like Wallace trying to channel Moss so Brady can try to relive 2007 even more than he has.

Floyd would be interesting, never really thought of him. He definitely has the size we need and he has had some decent-good years in SD. 

Is he a FA? I haven't heard his name floating around.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Wallace finally proved his ego was superior to his talent...he's not what we need here...let it go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

dont we have enough injury prone white guys on offense already? i like amendola, but i dont think he is the answer here.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Miami wants to keep Hartline

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

They certainly have the cap space.

I think they are also going to make a play for Jennings.

Depending on what they plan on running defensively they may also make a run at Kruger to put on the opposite side of Wake.

dolphins are definitely sold on tannehill and are definitely the team the pats need to be wary of in the afc east. it was obvious last year that they were the 2nd best team in the division. adding kruger and jennings would make them even more formidable.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dfitzp. Show dfitzp's posts

I would try to draft Tavon Austin. Wallace and Bowe want close to 10 mil per year. Austin would cost a fraction of that. Although he is small, he is very strong. He put up 14 reps of 225lbs at the combine. He does not have an injury history. The kid is untouchable in the open field and could take a 5yd slant and has the speed to take it 90yds. The Pat's could line him up all over the field, from the slot, outside, running back, kick returner and punt returner. Now that Demps is a question mark about returning to the Pats persuing a track career, Austin would be the answer. He is the most versatile player in the draft, and although he is not the 6'5" outside receiver we could use, he fills so many holes on offense and he has the blazing speed the defense would have to respect on the deep routes.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

No, I don't want Amendola.  I thought he would be a good option but after going out again last season he vanished off my wish list.

I'm not sure who I would like them to go after assuming they keep Welker.  I like Tavon Austin but if Welker is back for possibly 3 more years then they don't need Austin.

They need a mid to deep ball threat, but who could fill that role?  It seems like some of the WR's who were possibilities are going to stay put. 

Not sure the status on Lloyd and this week is the first time I have heard of him having "erratic behavior in the locker room and on the practice field".  What? was he falling down in the locker room?   Not sure who really is out there who the Pats can get to put up the 900+ yards he did last season. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Amendola and Welker are too similiar types of players and we already have to many middle of the field slot type  of receivers, no thank you

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Eng says it succinctly. Getting another slot would be like adding Drew Brees to the roster. We need diversity not duplication.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

dont we have enough injury prone white guys on offense already? i like amendola, but i dont think he is the answer here.

Is there an issue with white guys?

Read that sentence you wrot eback to yourself.  Substitute black for white.   Does it sound good?  No?

Didn't think so.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Read that sentence you wrot eback to yourself.  Substitute black for white.   Does it sound good?  No?

Didn't think so.

theres nothing wrong with white guys haha, im white. im just saying he fits the same mold as an edelman.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Didn't think so.

theres nothing wrong with white guys haha, im white. im just saying he fits the same mold as an edelman.

Don't worry about the overly sensitive people. I'm behind your statement 100% lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

No thanks.  Wes is awesome--we don't need Edelman 2.0.  I like Nelson from the Bills  6'5" from Florida--and he was great against us.  That is always an enticement for BB---a player who excels against the Pats--BB looks to see how he can use them.  Nelson would be great--another big target.  I would cut Lloyd---after the Bedard reports that he was erratic in lockerroom and practice--he needs to go.  Nelson should come cheap.  Austin would be a great addition---but after his combine #'s not sure he will be around at 29.  Sign Phillips from the Giants for safety---or Goldson if he isnt tagged by SF.  Kruger or Freeney would be great on the line. I was truly bummed to hear about Demps--I think he could have been huge for us.  I am pretty sure that Brady definitely had Welker and Vollmer first in mind when redoing his deal.  Draft CB/OL/DL in the draft.  Ballard/Gronk/Hernandez are great TE's.  Woody needs to take a team friendly deal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Seems to me the concern (at least on this board) has been for an outside/deep threat.  Lloyd is probably history at this point and didn't really pose that much of a deep threat in any case.  I don't see BB laying out big bucks for a wideout so where does that leave the situation?  I'm guessing there will be a couple of mid/lower level FAs in camp and perhaps a high draft pick.  Austin perhaps.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

In response to Iceman4's comment:

I know they do. Stop saying that. It doesn't mean they will.  Sheesh.

King...you keep bringing his name up as a realistic option. He's not. They have come out and said they want to keep him. His there a miniscule possibility they won't ? (of course as with any player)...but our chances of considering and getting him are a million to one. I can't stop saying that because you don't want to hear it....sheesh.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Miami Dolphins Make Chris Clemons, Brian Hartline Priorities, More AFC East News    By Erik Frenz (AFC East Lead Writer) on February 14, 2013

The Miami Dolphins have a number of prominent players with expiring contracts this offseason, but the question has been which players are the most important. It seems we may have our answer.

Armando Salguero of The Miami Herald says the Dolphins are prioritizing extensions for safety Chris Clemons and wide receiver Brian Hartline.

Behind the scenes, the front office has discretely targeted at least two starters—Brian Hartline and Chris Clemons—they hope to lock into contract extensions before the NFL’s new year begins on March 12. The club has had extensive discussions with Hartline and Clemons about a return in 2013, according to a league source.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

OK sombeobdy fill me in, whats the Amendola fascination about, is it because he's small and white and you're looking for the next Wes Welker?  This guy is no Wes Welker.

He has only managed to stay healthy for 16 games once in his career (2010) and he managed 85 catches for 689 yards for a miserable 8 yards a catch with only two catches more than 20 yards... he can't stay healthy and when he has isn't explosive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yes, sign Amendola, resign Edelman, trade for Percy Harvin and draft Tavon Austin...

That's what we need, more slot WRs! -_-...Jesus H. Christ, we'll never win a SB until the team learns that small WRs SUCK! They can't beat press and they don't help our running game because no one is afraid that that WR is going to go deep. 

Welker, Amendola, Edelman, Harvin, Austin and Hernandez...not sure we have enough.