Amendola drop costs game - he is Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Amendola drop costs game - he is Welker

There were so many issues and mistakes in that game it is absolutely hilarious but typical to read all the people talk about a single play or player who cost the game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you saw it closely enough the defender did a great job knocking the ball away. He didn't have any time to tuck it away. Give credit to the defender for making a great play. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're right and I was incorrect. I looked at the play closely on video a few minutes ago and yes Amendola had time to bring the ball in, possibly tuck it away, but the defender still gets credit for getting his hand in there making a very good play. It's easy to pick apart a play like that, but when it happens so quickly, it's easy to say Amendola should have tucked it away. The ball was thrown high by Brady to put it up away from the defender. Either way not a simple catch for Amendola who didn't catch it cleanly.

Hetch 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If you saw it closely enough the defender did a great job knocking the ball away. He didn't have any time to tuck it away. Give credit to the defender for making a great play. 

Hetch

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not enough folks here give credit to the opponent's D to make plays too.  When one of the Pats' defenders make a similar play, wow, what a great pass defense.  When the opponent makes a similar play, the Pats' receiver blew the catch!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not enough folks here give credit to the opponent's D to make plays too.  When one of the Pats' defenders make a similar play, wow, what a great pass defense.  When the opponent makes a similar play, the Pats' receiver blew the catch!

[/QUOTE]

While true, sometimes I think the play makes itself for the D player. For instance the Arrington break up which was caused by C. Jones. Wallace had Arrington beat bad but C. Jones caused the underthrow in which hit Arrington in the back of the head after which a friend of mine said great break up by Arrington. While yes Arrington "broke it up" it was due to an underthrow and not due to a great play by Arrington. In the case above. Yes the defender made the play but only because of the bobble and Amendola didn't secure it that the play was able to be made. If he had full hands on the ball Thomas would have had no shot to knock it out. But, holding the ball by your finger tips with arms above your head doesn't take much strength to knock it out. That's the difference a clean catch can make.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There were so many issues and mistakes in that game it is absolutely hilarious but typical to read all the people talk about a single play or player who cost the game.

[/QUOTE]

Well said. There are those who blame the offense for not scoring enough points or the defense for not making a crucial stop, for Ghost missing a FG or shanking the kickoff, but in truth it was not just one play but a lot of misplays by many on the team. A missed tackle finishing the first half allowing Wallace to score, a blown interference call by an official late in the game on the final drive, etc. 

Hetch

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

While true, sometimes I think the play makes itself for the D player. For instance the Arrington break up which was caused by C. Jones. Wallace had Arrington beat bad but C. Jones caused the underthrow in which hit Arrington in the back of the head after which a friend of mine said great break up by Arrington. While yes Arrington "broke it up" it was due to an underthrow and not due to a great play by Arrington. In the case above. Yes the defender made the play but only because of the bobble and Amendola didn't secure it that the play was able to be made. If he had full hands on the ball Thomas would have had no shot to knock it out. But, holding the ball by your finger tips with arms above your head doesn't take much strength to knock it out. That's the difference a clean catch can make.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is saying he couldn't have caught it. He could have but even if he didn't bobble the ball it is still possible the defender still could have ripped it out while he was in the act of bringing the ball down. Sometimes the defender just makes a good play. No opinion is right or wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Defense cost us the game

[/QUOTE]

Yup when the offense can't get out of it's own way it's the defense's fault.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Even if Danny = wes why is that HIS fault?? We are gonna blame Danny for being 5'9" 180?  I keep hearing people say he should have but when do we see other smurfs winning games for other teams in the endzone? Every week I see teams going to their big Superstar WR in the clutch. I saw V.Jackson make a big play for his team in the end. We dont have one at the moment. The closest thing is Dobson. Have you ever watched Chicago play?? They have TWO! Alshon Jefferies and watch Brandon Marshall when he catches the ball in traffic. He holds that thing high up in the air and it NEVER touches his body. Cutler has the strongest arm in the league and this guy plucks bullets out the air. STRONG HANDS! You can just see that noone is able to rip it out. They have the deathgrip. Danny is only so big. We are missing Gronk. We need a guy to outjump defenders when they are covered.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is saying he couldn't have caught it. He could have but even if he didn't bobble the ball it is still possible the defender still could have ripped it out while he was in the act of bringing the ball down. Sometimes the defender just makes a good play. No opinion is right or wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Possible yes but likely not very. Looking at the pics again, if he had his full hands on the ball instead of just finger tips his shoulder was in place to prevent Thomas from putting any force into trying to rip it out. Could he have, yep, but as I said 99 times out of 100 if Amendola had the ball squarely in his hands cleanly there is nothing Thomas could have done to break it up given he already had his arm completely stretched out, was in the air, and had no leverage to put any force into trying to rip it out. It's not right or wrong but the chances suggest a clean catch at that point was the game. Now as with the Welker plays in the SB that noncatch didn't cost them the game. There were a lot of factors that cost them the game. But, it certainly was a piece of it so it is interesting to see those getting on Welker not giving the same treatment for the guy they were saying was a superior replacement

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Possible yes but likely not very. Looking at the pics again, if he had his full hands on the ball instead of just finger tips his shoulder was in place to prevent Thomas from putting any force into trying to rip it out. Could he have, yep, but as I said 99 times out of 100 if Amendola had the ball squarely in his hands cleanly there is nothing Thomas could have done to break it up given he already had his arm completely stretched out, was in the air, and had no leverage to put any force into trying to rip it out. It's not right or wrong but the chances suggest a clean catch at that point was the game. Now as with the Welker plays in the SB that noncatch didn't cost them the game. There were a lot of factors that cost them the game. But, it certainly was a piece of it so it is interesting to see those getting on Welker not giving the same treatment for the guy they were saying was a superior replacement

[/QUOTE]

We can agree to disagree on whether the defender was a factor with the Amendola play but I agree with you regarding the many factors that contributed to the loss. The Amendola drop/strip, the missed FG, allowing the dolphins to score 7 at the end of the half, the poor 3rd/4th down D, A BLEEPING KICKOFF GOING OUT OF BOUNDS and just poor coverage by hightower on the last drive. Just to name a few.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even if Danny = wes why is that HIS fault?? We are gonna blame Danny for being 5'9" 180?  I keep hearing people say he should have but when do we see other smurfs winning games for other teams in the endzone? Every week I see teams going to their big Superstar WR in the clutch. I saw V.Jackson make a big play for his team in the end. We dont have one at the moment. The closest thing is Dobson. Have you ever watched Chicago play?? They have TWO! Alshon Jefferies and watch Brandon Marshall when he catches the ball in traffic. He holds that thing high up in the air and it NEVER touches his body. Cutler has the strongest arm in the league and this guy plucks bullets out the air. STRONG HANDS! You can just see that noone is able to rip it out. They have the deathgrip. Danny is only so big. We are missing Gronk. We need a guy to outjump defenders when they are covered.

[/QUOTE]

My point is this... Rusty and Rally have been on here since March telling everyone how much Amendola would help this team, especially in the redzone.  How him being taller then one of the Pats former WR's (1 inch, lmao) would be a much better option in the redzone.  I am still waiting.  Those two blowhards couldn't have been more wrong. Yesterday was sadly proof of how wrong they were.  And just wait, they will start the Edelman talk now to cover up them being wrong about Amendola. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Yep, that Amendola is a slug alright.  10 catches for 131 yards - what the he11 kind of production is that?

There are those on this board who are never going to give Amendola credit no matter what he does.  The guy's a w/r on the NE Patriots - a shame you can't deal with it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yep, that Amendola is a slug alright.  10 catches for 131 yards - what the he11 kind of production is that?

There are those on this board who are never going to give Amendola credit no matter what he does.  The guy's a w/r on the NE Patriots - a shame you can't deal with it.

[/QUOTE]

Does that surprise you? There are those on this board who will never give TB credit regardless of what he does and there are those on this board who will never give BB credit regardless of how this team performs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Deal with what?  That he isn't living up to everything Rusty and Rally said he was going to be?  I knew he wasn't going to be close to what they had built him up to be.  Sure he has a good game here and there, he has to.  Who else does Brady have to throw to besides Edelman yesterday?  Come on now, you can't tell me this guy hasn't been a disappointment this season.  Does he have talent? Yes, I watched him when he played for the Rams, I never said he didn't have talent.  I cheer for him every game.  But facts are facts, he isn't what many thought he would be this season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Deal with what?  That he isn't living up to everything Rusty and Rally said he was going to be?  I knew he wasn't going to be close to what they had built him up to be.  Sure he has a good game here and there, he has to.  Who else does Brady have to throw to besides Edelman yesterday?  Come on now, you can't tell me this guy hasn't been a disappointment this season.  Does he have talent? Yes, I watched him when he played for the Rams, I never said he didn't have talent.  I cheer for him every game.  But facts are facts, he isn't what many thought he would be this season.

[/QUOTE]

Please don't use the word 'facts' in any of your posts regarding Amendola, TFB.  You don't really care about them.  And I don't really care about your ongoing flame wars.  Amendola played a he11 of a game yesterday and the 'fact' that Brady had only Edelman to throw to is all the more evidence of how good a game Amendola had.  And, yes, I'll say it - Amendola has not been a disappointment to me this season.   

Face it, you're still pi$$ed because Welker (who's dealing with injury issues of his own) is with the Broncos and Amendola is the most convenient dog to kick over it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

Please don't use the word 'facts' in any of your posts regarding Amendola, TFB.  You don't really care about them.  And I don't really care about your ongoing flame wars.  Amendola played a he11 of a game yesterday and the 'fact' that Brady had only Edelman to throw to is all the more evidence of how good a game Amendola had.  And, yes, I'll say it - Amendola has not been a disappointment to me this season.   

Face it, you're still pi$$ed because Welker (who's dealing with injury issues of his own) is with the Broncos and Amendola is the most convenient dog to kick over it.

[/QUOTE]
    Yes, I will use facts in my posts when talking about him.  Of course I care about facts, I use a bunch of honest facts in a lot of my posts.  I do the research and post it.  I used facts all the time to prove Rusty wrong when he was telling his lies about Amendola stats back in March.

I have not mentioned Welker one time here until just now.  It's past that point. Amendola is not worth what he is being paid.  Same goes for arguments about Arrington on here.  Somehow you will probably turn that into something to do with my argument on how the Pats should have kept Welker too.   If you haven't noticed it's been a while since I have mentioned Welkers name on this forum.  But if you want to keep it up then feel free to do so.  My argument is that Amendola is making a ton of money here.  He has not been anything near what people have hoped he would be.  Rusty and Rally have tooted his horn since March.  Edelman at $1 mill is a much better deal.  You don't think Amendola is a disappointment at what he is getting paid?  Even so much as Edelman could be gone next season due to what the Pats are paying Amendola?  He has to make that catch yesterday.  Has to!!  That is the bottom line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

TFB, if you've refrained from mentioning the Welker matter recently then fair enough.  With respect to what others have claimed about Amendola I can't speak to that.  I understand that you think Amendola isn't worth what the Pats are paying him.  This is his first year and he's had 3 100+ yd games; that's not too shabby.  That said, it's a bit premature to make the assessment that the Pats overpaid.  We simply disagree.   

Should Amendola have made that catch?  Perhaps.  I can't say that that one play cost us the game, though.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

It's timing, i,e, time for a WR to run his route, time for Brady to throw.

Brady needed to throw quickly, hence not a perfect route or a perfect pass.

Would have been an amazing catch but it's so unfair to call it a drop.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Well the truth is Amendola is a nice player getting paid to be special, when he isn't. That would of been a nice catch - I won't go so far to call it special, but difficult/nice grab that players need to make to win games. For all the negativity around Welker, Danny did the same thing Welker would of done...not catch it. That's what shorter slot receivers do, they can't sky for a ball in the redzone and come down with what was a beautifully thrown ball (and that was a beauty...that's the differing factor with this team, one guy can do something beautiful and the others can't).

In my opinion I don't blame Amendola for the loss or even expect him to make that catch. It's not his fault he's too short to do that, just like it's not his fault we are paying him like he should be able to. This off season Amendola will be asked to take a pay cut/renegotiate to something more favorable to his limited skill set - he better give it some real thought - because the balls he's getting thrown to him right now aren't going to be as on target from some other QB somewhere else. That is a fact.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts