Amendola The worst signing by the Pats, considering the cost, ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

Re: Amendola The worst signing by the Pats, considering the cost, ever

Hard to argue with the OP on this one. Amendola has been a complete bust and was never going to replace Welker.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Back to the destructive Amendola contract. It always seems to come back to that. But can someone please tell us how it's so awful? How did a $3.5 mil cap hit cripple this team?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to aussiewill2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When they signed the injury proned Danny A as a free agent, I thought they had rocks in their collective heads. I wonder whose idea it was by the way. BB must have had imput, for sure. Which begs the question, did who ever wanted Danny look at his profile? Or was it a hissy fit because they knew they were letting Welker go.

What a collosell flop Amendola has been, even when he's on the field , he can't catch the football. Oh well, you win some, you lose some, and some get rained out. Danny Boy falls into the later two. He got the money though, so he's smarter than the stiff who wanted him.

[/QUOTE]

Just a few weeks ago Pats fans on here were screaming Welker Who?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They had great recievers:  Gronk and Hernandez.  They also had Edelman, Amendola + 3 rookies.

You think they should have added more to that?  Maybe they should sign 8 WRs this off season?

Crime and injury screwed them. 

Tell me - who were they supposed to pick up in September?  Were their all pro WRs available?

Your bawling is understandable - you are emotional.  But instead of repeating your yoga mantra "we need a WR" - why don;t you explain how and why a team that had Gronk and Hernandez locked up with huge contracts would pay for #1 WRs?  They had already signed Amendola to save money.

What exactly did you expect?  The team with ytwo all pro 23 year old TEs and two excellent slot recievers and 3 rookie WRs to go out and sign more?

Idiotic.

[/QUOTE]

I expect the Greatest GM of All Time to know a little about the character of the guys he's drafting and giving long term contracts to.

I expect him to refrain from giving long term contracts to major injury risks.

I expect him to sign quality guys he has to contracts instead of going out and signing injury risks from other teams.

I expect him to draft ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE...JUST FRICKKIN' ONE quality wide recevier in a decade.

I expect him to look at his lineup and say, "Let's see, we have Gronk who is always hurt, Hernandez, who is a frigggin' punk, and three rookies.  This is a problem.  I should sign or trade for a wide receiver who has a proven track record of success."

[/QUOTE]

So you expect BB to see the future.  Because you knew that Hernandez was a criminal, right?

When they signed Amendola - this team was stacked with talent:

Gronk, Hernandez, Amendola, Edelman, 3 rookie WRs, Ridley, Vereen, Brady

That is better than the Broncos offense.  Better than the Broncos.

If BB had added more to that we would have thought he was insane.  Now in january, you can whine all you want but the plan as constructed was a championship plan.

Reality is - Hernandez is a psycho (not predictable); Gronk took forever to heal arm (not predictable), Gronk blew out knee (not predictable); Amendola blew out groin (predictable because he gets hurt a lot); Vereen broke his hand (not predictable); Ridley became a fumble machine (not predictable); Brady can't throw beyond 35 yards anymore (predictable - he is getting old).

Plans vs Reality is why you play sports.

Your plan - sign nothing but WRs no matter how much offensive talent you allready have - is a stupid plan.  But I get it, you are emotional.  You've been crying; crying a lot. 

Pull yourself together.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Back to the destructive Amendola contract. It always seems to come back to that. But can someone please tell us how it's so awful? How did a $3.5 mil cap hit cripple this team?

I think the big problem (if I remember his contract right) is the dead money that results if we cut him this offseason.  He's looking like a wasted roster spot. He's got something like a $4.7 million cap hit next year, but cutting him creates $6.8 million in dead money.

We're stuck with the guy.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It;s the little things that kill muzz. What is Amendola going to cost this season? What does a guy like Vollmer cost, because he signed a reasonable deal too, yet he didn't help one bit. Then you have Adrian Wilson...didn't cost much of anything, yet he never made it past camp. Tommy Kelly was awesome for two games, then him and his little contract did nothing to help this team. Talib is a relative bargain, yet you can count on him to go down in the biggest game of the season (and many others)...how did his "cheap" five million dollar deal help us yesterday? Or last January against Baltimore? I'm going to be driving in my car today and I'm going to hear the exact same radio people talk about the exact same stuff regarding Talib as they did last year...imagine that? We signed a injury prone corner and what happened? He got injured every single time we needed him.

What do all these reasonable contracts add up to? Garbage...expensive garbage. I'm not an expert in contract totals, but by my count that is 17 million dollars in cap money for this season and this season only. Now that is how the little things kill, because 17 million could of bought us at least one player that could of helped us win yesterday, and I'd be willing to bet two. We just spent 17 million dollars on 5 players THAT DID VIRTUALLY NOTHING TO HELP US THIS YEAR. I'll say Talib helped when he was healthy, but it's a guarantee he won't stay healthy.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the big problem (if I remember his contract right) is the dead money that results if we cut him this offseason.  He's looking like a wasted roster spot. He's got something like a $4.7 million cap hit next year, but cutting him creates $6.8 million in dead money.

[/QUOTE]

He caught 54 passes in 12 games, 11.7 ypc (a career high). His stats are in line with what he did in STL, what was everyone expecting?  He's an average NFL receiver. That's how he's being paid, contrary to the hysteria over his contract.

He can't be cut until after 2014, dead money wise.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of him next season.  He wasn't very productive and didn't contribute much to the Patriots.  Not sure if they can cut him and his salary will count against the cap. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Cloudyandrain's comment:
    [QUOTE]

off topic...

are we cap hell?

with the Hernandez situation and a few bust like Talib, do we have enough money to get a player from Free agency?

A user told me that we don't have enough draft picks. I don't pay attention to the draft/college that much.

[/QUOTE]

Wait Talib is a bust holding down next years cap? He was the best DB last year while being hurt most of the season, he is also an FA.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

[QUOTE]

this siging hurt Belicheck.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think it hurt Belichick as Edelman picked up the slack. What needs to happen is Amendola needs to restructure the contract or be released and Edelman needs to be resigned. We also need a veteran to strech the field. Dobson will hopefully continue to progress

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It;s the little things that kill muzz. What is Amendola going to cost this season? What does a guy like Vollmer cost, because he signed a reasonable deal too, yet he didn't help one bit. Then you have Adrian Wilson...didn't cost much of anything, yet he never made it past camp. Tommy Kelly was awesome for two games, then him and his little contract did nothing to help this team. Talib is a relative bargain, yet you can count on him to go down in the biggest game of the season (and many others)...how did his "cheap" five million dollar deal help us yesterday? Or last January against Baltimore? I'm going to be driving in my car today and I'm going to hear the exact same radio people talk about the exact same stuff regarding Talib as they did last year...imagine that? We signed a injury prone corner and what happened? He got injured every single time we needed him.

What do all these reasonable contracts add up to? Garbage...expensive garbage. I'm not an expert in contract totals, but by my count that is 17 million dollars in cap money for this season and this season only. Now that is how the little things kill, because 17 million could of bought us at least one player that could of helped us win yesterday, and I'd be willing to bet two. We just spent 17 million dollars on 5 players THAT DID VIRTUALLY NOTHING TO HELP US THIS YEAR. I'll say Talib helped when he was healthy, but it's a guarantee he won't stay healthy.  

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that once you after 17 dollars got hurt the replacements were not good. So you want one or two great player and 3 or 4 crap players. You can't build a team like that. The injuries were insanely high and most happened because of a single play not because of nagging pre existing injuries. The best way to build a team is too find value. Which is exactly how Denver is built. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's an absolute bust so far - Amendola was not good at all.

But there is one lingering issue - the guy had a severe groin injury at the start of the season.  There was talk that he needed season ending groin surgery and HE went out got a second opinion and played hurt.

That is probably the reason why he never got separation.

When he played in St Louis he was extremely difficult to cover.

He may end up panning out next year.  If the Patriots don't cut him.

[/QUOTE]

Wait, so you are telling me an injury prone player got injured and affected his playing ability? Who would have guessed it considering he never cracked 700yrds for a year previously because he was injured. What was more likely, he'd get injured and not play all that well or he'd be healthy all year and give us as much as Welker did. Considering the latter never happened in his entire career I'd go with the former. Well worth the price for Mr. Clutch as people around here dubbed him after we signed him.

I hate being right on this one, but really I got killed for calling this one right after he was signed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it's $3.5mil they didn't spend on someone else. But, lets say he does the same thing next year. Do you dump him because after two years you save more then it costs you to keep him. Then, looking at the contract it would have cost (average) $5.5mil/yr for 2 years. Would you say we got any return on that contract at that point? That contract was only good if Amendola is healthy and productive. Otherwise that was a bad contract if he's cut after 2 years 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

He played 30 of 32 games in his first two seasons, got hurt in the first game of his third season and missed the rest of the year. Played in 23 of 32 games between this year and last, which is more than Vince Wilfork or Mayo or Talib. Played in one fewer game this year than Welker.

He is what he is, the same as he was in STL which is an average NFL receiver. His contract is in line with that. If you expected more, then you're not being reasonable. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

He played 30 of 32 games in his first two seasons, got hurt in the first game of his third season and missed the rest of the year. Played in 23 of 32 games between this year and last, which is more than Vince Wilfork or Mayo or Talib. Played in one fewer game this year than Welker.

He is what he is, the same as he was in STL which is an average NFL receiver. His contract is in line with that. If you expected more, then you're not being reasonable. 

[/QUOTE]

Muz, did you watch the games? His last year in Stl he left 4 games before the 1st half was over with injures. It counts as he played them but he never really played in them. He's been injured his entire career and if you actually counted games he completed he's about 60% of his games. He's an average WR but that's not what he was paid as. You don't pay an average WR ~$5.5 mil a year on average and even $3.5mil in his first year is expensive for what he gave to replace a 100+ rec WR and 1000yrd receiver. And please don't give me Edelman replaced Welker because they could have had both and if they knew Edelman was going to have this type of year they wouldn't have signed him for 1 yr and waited a full month while letting him visit with the Giants. This was a miss plain and simple. BB made a big mistake not only taking Amendola over Welker but also not spending the little bit more to get another durable vet WR in Sanders after he signed Amendola. Why is Amendola ~$3.5mil this year a deal but offering $3mil to Sanders instead of trying to underbid too much to spend?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

this signing hurt Belicheck.

[/QUOTE]

What is sadder... even if BB ponied up another million or two to keep Welker, Welker was gone.  He would not have resigned with the Pats as it became personal.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Muz, did you watch the games? His last year in Stl he left 4 games before the 1st half was over with injures. It counts as he played them but he never really played in them. He's been injured his entire career and if you actually counted games he completed he's about 60% of his games. He's an average WR but that's not what he was paid as. You don't pay an average WR ~$5.5 mil a year on average and even $3.5mil in his first year is expensive for what he gave to replace a 100+ rec WR and 1000yrd receiver. And please don't give me Edelman replaced Welker because they could have had both and if they knew Edelman was going to have this type of year they wouldn't have signed him for 1 yr and waited a full month while letting him visit with the Giants. This was a miss plain and simple. BB made a big mistake not only taking Amendola over Welker but also not spending the little bit more to get another durable vet WR in Sanders after he signed Amendola. Why is Amendola ~$3.5mil this year a deal but offering $3mil to Sanders instead of trying to underbid too much to spend?

[/QUOTE]

Agree, but sanders cost them a 3rd round pick as well vs amendola costing them just cash. 

Dont get me wrong, I would much rather have sanders, but the scenario also includes not picking Ryan or Harmon I believe. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Hey look all the Football know it all's are out.  Always enjoy this part of the off-season.  Funny these are all the guys saying Welker was old and needed to move on...These are all the same guys saying to let Edelman go, he can't play a full season....All the same guys who yell you can't judge a draft pick off just one year (but I guess you can free agents).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He caught 54 passes in 12 games, 11.7 ypc (a career high). His stats are in line with what he did in STL, what was everyone expecting?  He's an average NFL receiver. That's how he's being paid, contrary to the hysteria over his contract.

He can't be cut until after 2014, dead money wise.

[/QUOTE]

I think that's fair . . . My concern is only that an "average" slot receiver isn't what this team's receiving corp really needs.  I think Amendola is a fine complementary player, but we still need some true x-type receivers.  Dobson and Thompkins are supposed to provide that, but are they really any good? Still to be seen . . . 

Also, I thought Amendola really kind of disappeared as the season wore on.  May have been because of injury, but he was pretty ineffectual later in the year I thought. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Dobson and Thompkins are supposed to provide that, but are they really any good? Still to be seen . . . 

And yet you think Cordarrelle Patterson is some great player because he made the pro bowl as an alternate KR.  Bethel freaking Johnson could return kicks and Patterson put up roughly the same numbers as Dobson while playing all 16 games.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Watching pats fans literally eat their young is great entertainment-keep it up. It's a laugh fest!

[/QUOTE]

Watching Jets fans talk about "eating their young." is better entertainment.  Got Sanchez?  A literal laugh-a-minute.  The only thing better:  watching, listening, or reading Jets fans try to bust chops on the Pats, when their own team hasn't won a SB or a conference championship since the summer of love.  Literally - the highest comedy!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We traded the Patterson pick away for picks that produced Collins, Ryan, and Boyce, plus a seventh round pick that was eventually part of the Blount deal.  Now I like Collins and Ryan, but I think we could have gotten them in other ways,

This is insane.  If Collins and Ryan sucked then everyone would be whining about how we traded Patterson for them.  If they don't suck "we could have gotten them anyways".  Basically you can spin the trade down as a bad deal no matter the outcome.  Great.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts