Amendola

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Amendola

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

I don't care what his stats are. I care about how he fits into the offense.  That's the point here. Obviously, Welkie has been playing all along and with a QB who plays with what he has and makes it work vs our QB who whines like a girl that he isn't spoiled to the moon and back with HOFers at WR, 1-5 or two HOF TEs in front of a top 5 O Line.

I saw a much more deliberate Brady yesterdaym by the way.  Look at how he dropped back in that pocket with a purpose.

As you can see, his hand is fine, too. It was all hogwash.  Media hogwash.

Comparing Amendola to Welker after 23 receptions as a Patriot is like comparing Arrington to Talib!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

I think TB misses WW more as a friend and someone he knew would always be on the field. As we all know the fustration he has shown is due to the rookies not yet being up to speed with the more seasoned veterans and both Gronk and Amedola not being available. Now it's all starting to come together and lets hope it continues with the rookies continuing to improve each week and everyone stays healthy. TB is also smart enough to know that Amendola is more athletic and can do things WW can not. If Amendola stays healthy TB will be happy.

What I'd like to see IF this offense can stay healthy is to see what they can do against a good defense. Again if healthy I think it will be a difficult offense to stop. But like some mentioned yesterday's game is just 1 game. IF it does continue we just might be fortunate enough to see them go deep into the playoffs.

More than WW or Amendola this offense lives and dies with Gronk. We all know the outcome if Gronk isn't playing and playing healthy. They need him more than they need Amendola. But having both makes it extremely difficult for any defense to defend.

I really like how they used every part of the field yesterday, sidelines, seems in the middle short and deep, deep routes, and slants long and short. This is something they have never done because either they had good wideouts and slots or good TEs and slots, never both! The only thing we didn't see much of yesterday was screens. But Vereen might change that... 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Even Brady's getting over Welker, why are you ladies still crying over him?

why are you dingbats still beating up on him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Really?  Going down this trail again?  How many time did WW move the chains for the Pats?  

More time than anbody in football, I'm going to guess.  Were we happy when he did it?  Bet your butt we were.

Did he have some drops we hated? Yes.   Has Brady thrown any bad passes?  Has Vince missed any tackles?  Has Mankins missed any blocks?  Don't get me started on the db's

Welker is one of the best and I'm glad he was a Patriot.  He is a tough son of a gun too!

I would like him to still be here but Wes and the Pats couldn't come to an agreement.  The Pats did the best they could to fill the void.  As a Pat's fan I hope it works out.  I actually think it will.

Danny Amendola will be a big part of that.  If Hernandez didn't think that killing people was a good idea, Wes's absence would have hurt much less.

Good luck to Wes on a limited basis.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Anyone trying to compare WW to Amendola is just fooling themselves at this point. Is Amendola bigger, faster? Yep sure is. However, WW was shiftier and had a better knack for getting open when he needed. Something we haven't completely seen with Amendola yet from play to play. You need proof just look at 3rd down efficency. Of course is a tiny set of data for when Amendola is actually on the field. Overall on paper Amendola should be the better WR however the game isn't played on paper and unless the guy can stay on the field an be effective then it's impossible to say they are better than another player who puts up the same numbers week in and week out for 6 seasons and missed less than a game a season during that tenor. Amendola has put up Welker type of numbers for 2 games out of 9 so far this season. That's almost half a season where he made almost no to completely no difference on the field. When healthy he'd be a great replacement the problem is he's never healthy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Welker also dropped the ball more than Amendola in 6 consecutive seasons and played for one of the best franchises in that time span.

I thought this was Brady's fault.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Wes Welker is the greatest ever in the slot.  Jerry Rice probably couldn't play the slot as well.

BUT Amendola got deep not once but twice... I like the verticle game.  I never cared much for the extension of the running game, but their third down offense has surely took a hit.  Amen got his 100+ yard game with only 4 catches.  That would take 10 catches for Welker to get those yards.  They're Different players that play the same position.  Amendola is between a Cruz and Welker as far as play style.  Let's stop the comparisons.

Use Ridley like they did yesterday, and look down field.  I like it.  

Moving on...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Umm, I am pretty sure he looks as good as Welker ever did here"

Agreed. It's too bad he seems to have such trouble staying on the field. (Though I don't hold the concussion against him). 

Hopefully better things are ahead. Between him and Edelman it's tough to make the case that Welker's loss really hurt this team....though Welker's ability to get open easily (and in rhythm with Brady) would have helped us in the Jets game IMO. 

My frustrations with the offense are not as much about Welker as long as Amendola/Edelman are generally profuctive. 

It will take a full season to assess this one completely as we also have to take into account Welker's impact in Denver and that will take time to get a handle on also as playoffs will count a lot as we know in terms of Welker's value (and/or tendency to drop big playoff balls).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Amen got his 100+ yard game with only 4 catches.  That would take 10 catches for Welker to get those yards. "

Another key dimension here. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Amen got his 100+ yard game with only 4 catches.  That would take 10 catches for Welker to get those yards. "

Another key dimension here. 

Right, it's how they're different that's the intriguing part of all this.  It starts with Gronk opening everything up, and making other guys make plays.  Dobson and Amen did a great job of those opportunities.  

Again, Ridley adds so much to this and when Vereen gets back... awesome.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"Umm, I am pretty sure he looks as good as Welker ever did here"

Agreed. It's too bad he seems to have such trouble staying on the field. (Though I don't hold the concussion against him). 

Hopefully better things are ahead. Between him and Edelman it's tough to make the case that Welker's loss really hurt this team....though Welker's ability to get open easily (and in rhythm with Brady) would have helped us in the Jets game IMO. 

My frustrations with the offense are not as much about Welker as long as Amendola/Edelman are generally profuctive. 

It will take a full season to assess this one completely as we also have to take into account Welker's impact in Denver and that will take time to get a handle on also as playoffs will count a lot as we know in terms of Welker's value (and/or tendency to drop big playoff balls).

I actually think it's fairly easy:

#1 - 3rd down efficiency has dropped off the map. Welker was a huge part of the efficiency. Of course Gronk and Hern were too but I haven't seen Amendola or Edelman come up as often as Welker did on 3rd down.

#2 - RZ efficiency. Like the 3rd down efficiency Hern and Gronk have their effect too but Welker always had a way to find the open spot in the RZ something we haven't seen Edelman or Amendola do at this point yet as Brady seems to be holding the ball for longer periods of time.

#3 - 2 spots taken for 1 player. The team is limited to 53 men. When you have to field 2 players to make up for one you are eating into your depth. In a season with so many injures that extra depth could have helped

#4 - Total salary. The total cost of Edelman and Amendola is actually more than Welker got by himself. Now we do have cap room now but could that little bit extra have been used for that depth player at a different position, say DT or CB?

Frankly I'm not even sure why we are even counting Edelman as part of the replacement for Welker. No one said Edelman was a replacement until Amendola got hurt then suddenly it became Amendola isn't Welkers replacement it was Edelman all along. Then when Edelmans numbers dropped it became, well they used a combination of Edelman and Amendola to replace Welker so you have to combine their numbers. Does anyone in their right mind honestly believe that 2 for 1 is a fair deal? If you are driving a nice BMW would you take a trade for 2 civics worth the same price combined? One that performs well for the first month, provided you only drive it, then disappears and the other one breaks down consistently but when it's running can give you almost the same performance as the BMW half the time when it starts.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

As good as Wes was in NE, Gronk has 5 more TD catches from Brady, and in fewer seasons. 

The real deal here is, and always was, Gronkowski.  He could make an average QB look phenomenal.   Welker needs a top gun to succeed. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to soups' comment:

As good as Wes was in NE, Gronk has 5 more TD catches from Brady, and in fewer seasons. 

The real deal here is, and always was, Gronkowski.  He could make an average QB look phenomenal.   Welker needs a top gun to succeed. 

So you are saying Matt Cassel was considered a top gun QB in 2008?

2008 Wes Welker had 111 receptions for 1165 yards.

Your thinking is flawed here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Except the argument isn't Gronk vs Welker it's Amendola vs Welker or Edelmendola vs Welker as it's become. Gronk was on the team when both options were so he's a non factor in this debate and with the exception of pretty much 1 game Gronk's been on the field the same time as Amendola. Now if you want to bring in Hernandez or Woodhead adding dimension to the passing game which would effect Welkers performance vs Amendola that's a good debate but not sure Gronk fits in this one

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

So you are saying Matt Cassel was considered a top gun QB in 2008?

2008 Wes Welker had 111 receptions for 1165 yards.

Your thinking is flawed here.

Cassel today and Cassel then aren't the same guy.  And if you remember that season, the Pats strength of schedule helped them along, too.  They didn't face a top 10 pass defense until week 12.  

No offense, TFB, but the thought process ain't that flawed.  Actually, check out Cassel's numbers.  They don't lie.  He had a good season (his best),  but their 11 wins were only partly due to Cassel.  Defense helped.  It took Cassel having his best season for Welker to put up those numbers, and Cassel never came close again.  

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CassMa00.htm

Do you really think Wes would do this well with an average QB? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

X versus Welker, Y versus Welker, Z versus Welker, Welker versus Welker, Schmelker versus Welker.  The Pats and Welker couldn't reach an agreement and Welker plays for the Broncos now.  What is so flippin hard to understand about that and why is the dead horse being repeatedly beaten to the point where P.E.T.A. is about to send in a SWAT team?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

PatsEng... the Homers are never going to admit this. 

LOL at the first few weeks when Edelman was having production and the homers were on here with the Edelman > Welker talk..... Where is that talk now?  What has Edelman done on offense lately?  Not much.  Welker continues to be productive week in and week out, moving the chains and scoring TD's.  But who would want that.

LOL at all the Amendola talk before the season and partly through game 1 then he is hurt 2x and has done very little in the past 7 weeks.  Has a good game yesterday with 4 catches 122 yards with 34 of those from blown coverage.  Now the Welker talk comes up again, lol!  Why not wait until Amendola can do that week in and week out for a complete season, with and without Gronk in there.

It's embarrassing to have so many homer fans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Edelman?  Is that the kick returner that Brady was forced to use as a receiver?

He of the 1 catch yesterday?

He of the 18 yards over the past two games?

He of the two touchdowns this season?

That guy?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Cassel today and Cassel then aren't the same guy.  And if you remember that season, the Pats strength of schedule helped them along, too.  They didn't face a top 10 pass defense until week 12.  

No offense, TFB, but the thought process ain't that flawed.  Actually, check out Cassel's numbers.  They don't lie.  He had a good season (his best),  but their 11 wins were only partly due to Cassel.  Defense helped.  It took Cassel having his best season for Welker to put up those numbers, and Cassel never came close again.  

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CassMa00.htm

Do you really think Wes would do this well with an average QB? 

Hey, no offense taken this is just a discussion.

Please tell me what Cassel did prior to 2008?

Maybe it was Welker and Moss that gave Matt Cassel the season he had.  What do you think about that?

in 2006 with the Dolphins Welker had pretty much an identical season as pro bowler Chris Chambers had for the team with QB's Joe Harrington and Daunte Culpepper.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Are we ripping Edelman for admirably filling in when he was forced to?  I see nothing in the guy's game that leads me to think he can't be a productive NFL WR.  He will be heard from again this year.   

I agree with those that say Amendola is more physically gifted than Welker.  But Welker was one of the toughest mugs I've ever seen catch a football.  Talent aside, there is a lot to be said about the guy who gets drilled week to week and just plays and is productive.  Amedola's talent is intriguing, and the Pats had a need at WR, but unless he can reverse the injury trend he will always be the guy that failed to replace WW.

We should just accept that both the Pats and WW decided to move on.  If Hernandez was still here, I am sure Wes wouldn't be missed as much as he was.  The Patriots couldn't have planned for Hernandez's loss - they clearly planned to feature their TEs and WW got lost in the numbers game. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought he had a good game, but to say he is at Welker's level is just dumb...plus we all know every game there's the real possibility he will get hurt. He most likely will be asked to rework his deal if he wants to stay here next season - I imagine he will because there aren't many teams that will now pay him what we did this time around.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:

Are we ripping Edelman for admirably filling in when he was forced to? 

Never!  The dude has heart and is willing to do anything to get on the field and help this team.

We are ripping on the people who constantly bring Welkers name up every time Edelman or Amendola has a good game as they feel they need to justify a very questionable call the team made in letting Welker go.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

We are ripping on the people who constantly bring Welkers name up every time Edelman or Amendola has a good game as they feel they need to justify a very questionable call the team made in letting Welker go.

I think you mean person.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Gronk stirs the drink

da cannot replace what WW did here in one season, but if he is on a SB winner the comparisons will stop,  

and there is a 5 yr difference ib age

and no one knows what happened between the pats and WW, if I re beer Kraft wasn't too happy with what went down and he wasn't po d at BB

and TB said da could catch 130 balls and he and WW are great friends, not so much Giselle, lol

In the end if we win a SB there can be no complaints

the Denver game will be hi drama

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Losing Wes was (or is) a problem but the lose of AH and Woodhead made a bad situation worse . . . I'm sure when they let Woodhead walk they had no idea that Vereen would be gone for 1/2 the season and Washington would not be able to get himself on the field.

Sections
Shortcuts