An Open Letter to Bill and Bob

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Re: An Open Letter to Bill and Bob

MVP:
    "So when we had Seymore and Vrabel we were too old and "NEEDED" to get younger at any cost and now that the team has gotten younger you want to complain about how these young guys cant play the same as the old guys? You cant have it both ways, you cant call for the team to rebuild and then act all surprised when they have a down year. You know what kind of teams have fans writing letters to the owner and renting addspace off the highway and stuff like that? The Oakland Raiders, The Buffalo Bills. We are not those teams, we had a bad year and we lost in the PLAYOFFS! but we still made it, we still won the div so I dont think its time for us to start writing letters to the owners asking for a change. Get a f*cking grip. "

I am all for bringing the new blood, but they should have made moves to secure guys like Samuel, Washington, Branch and even Hobbs (as a returner) well before the negotitations broke down, say two years before their contracts expired, or signed them to longer contracts to begin (Washington).  Had Branch, Samuel and Washington remained, is there any doubt they win it all in 2005, 2006, 2007 and go deep in 2008?  The move to new blood should be gradual, not sudden. Now they've lost leadership all at once.  Think of a brood of tiger cubs that loses its mother.  How do you think those cubs will fare?  Look waht happened to the Bulls of Jordan when they did it this way.  Disaster.  Look what happened to the Celts of Bird when they did it this way.  Disaster.  It doesn't work.

Not only that, but they have lost their mystique.  Good luck attracting star vets to play for a discount for a chance at a ring.  Why do you think Moss had such a weird year?  Injury? Perhaps in part.  But he must also have thought, "Hey, I came here to win a ring and they dump a future HOF DL and star LB in 2009, after the retirement of a HOF LB and HOF S?  So I am supposed to wait quietly another year after having to endure a year with a QB who never even started a college game?  This s@cks!" 

They have offically lost their cache.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

Hail Caesar!
    (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    "Guyton is a good third linebacker."
    My observation this year was that he seemed unsure at lot of the time as to what he should be doing.  He has great speed but, I didn't see him being able to effectively use it.
    He was, apparently, separated at birth with Jar Jar Binks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I like it!  Particularly if you mention the fact that he's raised ticket prices almost every year!

Listen: I'm more than willing to go on my merry way supporting the Pats' moves and cheering for them almost unconditionally because playing football for 11 years doesn't even p*ss on the rim at the bottom of the pedestal on which the monument that is Bill Belichick's football career sits.

BUT

If they're going to let free agents go and sign crappy replacements all while raising ticket prices, I EXPECT SOMETHING BETTER THAN THE TURD I WITNESSED ON SUNDAY.  THEY F*CK*NG QUIT!!!!  THEY LAID DOWN AND F*CK*NG QUIT!!!!!  Either roll back ticket prices or spend the money more wisely, but I don't think you can justify charging more money for a team that did the one thing that is completely and utterly inexcusable (QUITTING).  You have to pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Forget Assante his play has gone downhill since he got his big contract. In his case management was right. He got his rings here and got his money from Philly and he doesn't have to put out 110% anymore.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

JohnHannah...I don't think they would have let Vrabel go if they hadn't been forced to as part of the Cassel package.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Bill Parcells now all his players are gone back to the Pre BP days for patriots nation

another coach about to enjoy a Parcells team... Wade Phillips.... core of the team all parcells players

Belicheck no good without parcells players

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

It's always difficult to assume that we have the inside track on what's going on.  Most likely, we only have a few bits, making the analysis all too easy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Did anybody hear anything about any of those guys after they left the Pats? I do agree with the last paragraph of your post however.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

No STP43FAN I would try to bring those players back. They are very important cogs for your team. About the only player I might let walk is Gostowski and only if his contract demands are too far out there. Still I'd rather see him in a Pats uniform then to let him go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

STP43Fan:

Never said they didn't want to win. Just that they think they can win based on coaching and management philosophy alone.

Also, I was at the game. Lots of empty seats. And not just club seats. Third level.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JR822. Show JR822's posts

There need to be operational improvements at Gillette. Most of the people who travelled to the game via the MBTA train from Boston had to wait to be cleared by security lines that were so long that they missed the opening kickoff. That is simply unexcusable, given the price of tickets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

DEAR BOB AND BILL:  DON'T LISTEN TO THIS FOOL WHO STARTED THIS POST!!!  DO WHAT YOU THINK IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP THIS TEAM TOGETHER.  I HAVE WATCHED OTHER TEAMS GO DOWN IN FLAMES TRYING TO KEEP "WINNING" GROUPS TOGETHER.  I AM OLD ENOUGH AND MATURE ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND SOME YEARS DONT WORK AS WELL AS OTHERS.  I WILL CONTINUE TO SUPPORT YOU AND THIS TEAM THROUGH IT ALL, WITHOUT ANY OF THE FOOLISHNESS ESPOUSED BY THE ORIGINATOR OF THIS POST.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Gee Davedsone, I'm very sorry I expressed my opinion. It's too bad you couldn't communicate your own opinion is a more civilized way (and without all caps).

STP, don't care what Dale Arnold said - I was there and have been at every playoff game at Gillette since 2003. There were more empty seats than I have ever seen. Second, I have spoken to two former players. Players that I think had much to do with the team's success. They love the organization, but remain convinced that management thinks that they don't need the best players and can coach anyone up. How has that gone lately? Also that they don't show much loyalty (by lowballing and not extending before the contract is up) to players that they drafted and developed - Branch, Graham, Samuel, Wilfork, Brady, Law, Hobbs, etc.

So they need to reevaluate their way of doing business because a lot of good players have left. And in order to do that, they need to realize (if in fact they don't) that good players are more important always winning a negotiation.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmikejohnson. Show mrmikejohnson's posts

"After all, judging by the empty seats at the playoff game, you don't actually expect people to keep coming to Patriot Place"
    ------------------------------------------
    Most of the Patriots' fans are fair weather fans who only became fans when the team started winning.  No one who was a fan of the Patriots in the 80s or 70s would ever make a statement like that.  The team won the division, but we're going to pout because we didn't win the SB. 

The guy posting this letter seems to be representative of the average Patriots' fan.  They only became a serious fan after Brady led the team to a SB.  After Brady's gone and the team's not that good, like he said,.....people won't keep coming to the stadium.  They're all fair weather fans who bail on the team.  If guys like this are crying and pouting after winning the division, imagine what they'll be like when the team goes 4-12 several years down the road.

Look at Green Bay when their team is bad.  The stadium if full.  Same thing with Pittsburg.  Seattle even pulled in a few good crowds with a miserable team this year.  The average Patriot fan is a whiny, crybaby who will abandon the team as soon as Brady's gone and they post back to back losing seasons.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Hey, Mr. Mikejohnson:

I was a fan back when Marc Wilson was handing off to John Stephens. Back when Jon Vaughn was returning kicks. Back when the Giants fans overran Sullivan Stadium in 1990 season finally. Back when Hugh Millen was chucking passes and making out with Lisa Guererro. So maybe, just maybe, you should look before you leap pal.

Again, its not pouting. It is a message to management to take some of the money you are making and, in this uncapped year, sign those that helped get you a mall - Brady, Wilfork, etc.

Why is this so hard for people to understand? Can you not read the WHOLE POST?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

It's a fine line deciding when to part with a player. The last big contract with an aging player can turn out to be a mill stone around the teams neck. The issue I have with the Pats is letting highly productive "known commodity" players that you drafted leave. Deon Branch, Assante Samuel to name a couple. The Colts lock up their top notch players. I like that approach. I liked Richard Seymour and if they two parties could have gotten together for a team friendly contract than it would have been good to see but often the third contract can be a burden for the team.
    The Pats got Seymour's best years and now get a first round pick for him. That's usually a good deal. What worries me is the Pats have missed on some high picks and the last few drafts and hopefully Floyd Reese will help correct that. Last years draft looked good to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pfeels59. Show pfeels59's posts

Patriot Place isn't going anywhere, people are crazy tho think the teams win and losses are reflective of this food/shopping area.  This is a destination spot in between Boston and Providence, there are thousands of people in neighborhoods who find this place a god sent ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoutheastGuy10. Show SoutheastGuy10's posts

I am a season ticket holder.  I was there for last week's game.  And let me be perfectly clear: there were THOUSANDS of people dressed as empty seats at that game.  Level 3 was about 65% full. What's more, people were still filing in at 1:45, like they were Dodgers fans.  I was beyond shocked.  I know Gillette has become a terrible "home field" but I thought once the playoffs arrived, the spirit would return.  It didn't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

i agree with MVPKILLA2009!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

If you don't like the mall, don't go to the mall. Do any of you realize that most of these billionaire owners have very complex portfolios? Should Paul Allen not invest in software startups so he can resign Deion Branch? Don't think so.

The Patriots model is the envy of the league. The problem is that the execution of that model hasn't been up to par in the past few years. We as fans are paying for a few bad drafts--that's execution, not the model. Had 06-08 drafts been stellar, no one would be crying now.

Speaking of crying, stop whining about washed-up old has-beens. Willie Mac? Are you kidding me? Great player, thanks for everything you did. Here's your gold watch. Bruschi? He was DONE. Maybe if McKenzie didn't blow up his knee no one would lament Tedy's retirement, but it happened.

You can't keep everyone. Choices have to be made. The philosophy is sound, but some of the individual choices weren't. That's life.

And to call out Kraft. Wow. If I were him I'd stage a duckboat parade right down Comm Ave and have a middle finger extended to anyone calling for his head. He's one of the best, most powerful owners in the league.

Sections
Shortcuts