Anatomy of a Choke.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Anatomy of a Choke.

What is the definition of "choke" in sports?

Here is one definition:

"In sports, a choke is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event. Someone who chokes may be known as a choker or, more derisively, as a choke artist. Choking in sport can be considered a form of analysis paralysis."   -Wikipedia

Here is another definition:

'To choke' is a phrase used to refer to athletes who are typically very good in their sports but fail to deliver in key situations. The immense pressure of these key moments tends to overwhelm them and they end up making an uncharacteristic mistake. Although this phrase is used most often in the context of American Football, it can apply to any sport when a normally reliable athlete fails. For example, this phrase is often used to describe Peyton Manning, who as the revered quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts has failed multiple times in big moments (for instance, when he threw an interception to lose Super Bowl 44 late in the game).  -Sports Definitions

The opposite of choking is to be clutch. A clutch player or team rises to the occasion under pressure rather than collapsing.  -Wikipedia

No one enjoys seeing their team choke, but if the opposite of "choke" is "clutch" then what happened to the Pats and Belichick Sunday against the Jets?

Were the Pats clutch against the Jets last Sunday?

No.  The Pats, and especially Belichick and Brady, choked under pressure and coughed up the biggest game of the season, the only one that really counted for anything.

There is no better example of choking in the 2011 NFL season than the Pats v Jets game:  in fact the Pats should now be considered the Poster Boys for choking and coughing up a big game.

After beating the Jets in a blowout a few weeks earlier did they forget the "on any given Sunday" mantra:  did they believe the media spin:  did they fail to take the Jet's bluster and mouthy, trash-talking seriously:  did they think that they only had to show up in order to win?

All that bye time to prepare, and BB could not get his team ready?  That trick play at an inopportune time that should never have been on the table, then trying to throw a player under the bus for the coaches blunder?  A slow drive to nowhere with the clock running down?  A symbolic benching of Welker for even one series that sent the wrong message to your team (thank you Mr. Wilfork for being a man and speaking truth to power)?  Now the spin-miester, the Patriot Way, with Brady's foot?  Ridic-u-bobble!

Organizational choke from the top down.

Of course Belichick and Brady don't bear sole responsibility for the loss and are not the only ones who choked, in fact, it was a long term organizational choke that was a longtime coming.

But Tom "Happy Feet" Brady and Belichick drive the train and are the men at the controls, so when the train runs off the track and crashes it's primarily the engineers who must bear the brunt of the blame.

It's difficult for some fans to "fess up" and admit that their heroes choked and coughed up a big game under pressure, but this is not the first time: look at the playoff record of recent years:  It's choke after choke after choke, and I call that a trend, a distinct, disturbing trend.  But the Kool-aiders will never fess-up and admit that their infallible heroes choked and stunk up the place but will instead rest on the cliche that the Jets simply outplayed them.  No, the Pats choked.

In Belichick you can trust all you want, but show me the money, show me why we should still trust him and Brady.  Because they won 3 Super Bowls many years ago? 

And the Kool-Aid fans still insist that we should be grateful for a good regular season of 14 - 2, when everyone understands that the regular season only exists to get to the playoffs where it's a new season, where it's one and done, and its been done for the Pats for many years now.

How many years can they coast by on past accomplishments while the Krafts print profits from their money machine by putting a decent product out there but always trying to win on the cheap while fans line up to hand over their hard earned money for the some of the highest ticket prices in the NFL, if not the highest.

In Bill we trust?  Pleeeese!  Pahsahw!  Such naive BS!

They say a fish rots from the head down. 

Something stinks in Foxboro.

Nuff said.  End of story. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Re: Anatomy of a Choke.

In Response to Anatomy of a Choke.:
    What is the definition of "choke" in sports? Here is one definition: "In sports , a choke is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event. Someone who chokes may be known as a choker or, more derisively, as a choke artist . Choking in sport can be considered a form of analysis paralysis ."   -Wikipedia Here is another definition: 'To choke' is a phrase used to refer to athletes who are typically very good in their sports but fail to deliver in key situations. The immense pressure of these key moments tends to overwhelm them and they end up making an uncharacteristic mistake. Although this phrase is used most often in the context of American Football, it can apply to any sport when a normally reliable athlete fails. For example, this phrase is often used to describe Peyton Manning, who as the revered quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts has failed multiple times in big moments (for instance, when he threw an interception to lose Super Bowl 44 late in the game).  -Sports Definitions The opposite of choking is to be clutch . A clutch player or team rises to the occasion under pressure rather than collapsing.  -Wikipedia No one enjoys seeing their team choke, but if the opposite of "choke" is "clutch" then what happened to the Pats and Belichick Sunday against the Jets? Were the Pats clutch against the Jets last Sunday? No.  The Pats, and especially Belichick and Brady, choked under pressure and coughed up the biggest game of the season, the only one that really counted for anything. There is no better example of choking in the 2011 NFL season than the Pats v Jets game:  in fact the Pats should now be considered the Poster Boys for choking and coughing up a big game. After beating the Jets in a blowout a few weeks earlier did they forget the "on any given Sunday" mantra:  did they believe the media spin:  did they fail to take the Jet's bluster and mouthy, trash-talking seriously:  did they think that they only had to show up in order to win? All that bye time to prepare, and BB could not get his team ready?  That trick play at an inopportune time that should never have been on the table, then trying to throw a player under the bus for the coaches blunder?  A slow drive to nowhere with the clock running down?  A symbolic benching of Welker for even one series that sent the wrong message to your team (thank you Mr. Wilfork for being a man and speaking truth to power)?  Now the spin-miester, the Patriot Way, with Brady's foot?  Ridic-u-bobble! Organizational choke from the top down. Of course Belichick and Brady don't bear sole responsibility for the loss and are not the only ones who choked, in fact, it was a long term organizational choke that was a longtime coming. But Tom "Happy Feet" Brady and Belichick drive the train and are the men at the controls, so when the train runs off the track and crashes it's primarily the engineers who must bear the brunt of the blame. It's difficult for some fans to "fess up" and admit that their heroes choked and coughed up a big game under pressure, but this is not the first time: look at the playoff record of recent years:  It's choke after choke after choke, and I call that a trend, a distinct, disturbing trend.  But the Kool-aiders will never fess-up and admit that their infallible heroes choked and stunk up the place but will instead rest on the cliche that the Jets simply outplayed them.  No, the Pats choked. In Belichick you can trust all you want, but show me the money, show me why we should still trust him and Brady.  Because they won 3 Super Bowls many years ago?  And the Kool-Aid fans still insist that we should be grateful for a good regular season of 14 - 2, when everyone understands that the regular season only exists to get to the playoffs where it's a new season, where it's one and done, and its been done for the Pats for many years now. How many years can they coast by on past accomplishments while the Krafts print profits from their money machine by putting a decent product out there but always trying to win on the cheap while fans line up to hand over their hard earned money for the some of the highest ticket prices in the NFL, if not the highest. In Bill we trust?  Pleeeese!  Pahsahw!  Such naive BS! They say a fish rots from the head down.  Something stinks in Foxboro. Nuff said.  End of story. 
    Posted by RajonRondowski

I'm tired of the negative BS on Boston.com by fairweather fans like you. We had a great 14-2 season that was by a team that was suppose to be in a rebuilding year and most folks thought might be 9-7 or 10-6 at best. I nstead we had a great season that unfortunately ended early. Because of BB's coaching and Tom Brady's leadership this team was much better than expected. With an upcoming bunch of draft choices and a year of experience for the many rookees this year this team has great future ahead for atleast another 4-6 years. Stop whining. 

Asfor chocking you fool please choke on your word and move to New York where you belong.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke.:
    In Response to Anatomy of a Choke. : I'm tired of the negative BS on Boston.com by fairweather fans like you. We had a great 14-2 season that was by a team that was suppose to be in a rebuilding year and most folks thought might be 9-7 or 10-6 at best. I nstead we had a great season that unfortunately ended early. Because of BB's coaching and Tom Brady's leadership this team was much better than expected. With an upcoming bunch of draft choices and a year of experience for the many rookees this year this team has great future ahead for atleast another 4-6 years. Stop whining.  Asfor chocking you fool please choke on your word and move to New York where you belong.   
    Posted by Hetchinspete

-

You must be the poster-child for for what I'm talking about. 

Congratulations.

This is the quality of your discourse from another thread:  "Gonzo, Crawl back in your hole where you belong, and stay off of Boston.com you MORON."

I'd bet you don't even live in New England, like many of these facists who call themselves "Real Fans" on this board and can't tolerate a contrary opinion.

You simply mouth the party-line and the same old tired cliches.  Who cares about rebuilding?  About draft picks, in the wake of that big joke of a choke?  Who cares about 14 - 2, when they choke and stink up the playoffs again and again and again?   You play the regular season to get to the playoffs, don't you?

Because of BB's coaching and TB's failure of leadership the Pats blew a great chance to go to the Super Bowl after winning the bye and home-field advantage.  Is that what you want fans to be grateful for?

Don't tell people how to react.  Think what you want and write what you want, but when you devolve into the usual name calling, like "fair-weather fan" and "fool" you simply reveal yourself to be who you are, yourself, and I'm afraid you are stuck with that.  Sorry.

Nuff said.

End of story.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

its typicle pink hat dribble...some one biatch slap her...er him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Choke is a term used by people who don't really understand the game and therefore can't figure out what really happened. 

What really happened (mostly) is that Ryan figured out how to shut down our short passing attack, which is really the only strong point of our offense.  This is (as we thought at the beginning of the season) still a rebuilding year for us.  The team is getting good, but it's not great yet. What happened is the team over-performed and some bandwagon fans began to think the team was better than what it really was. Only those fans who had inflated expectations would see this season as a failure.  Fans who understand the game know it was a great accomplishment even to get to the playoffs with this team--never mind go 14 and 2 and get a first round bye.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rajon - is correct here.  This board loves this word.  This board has bought into the concept of choke as it relates to anything outside of Foxborough hook line and sinker.  Now this board must see its team as what it truly is - chokers.  Two of the last 4 years the pats have held the best record in the league not to seal the deal.  In each of those years, the pats have engaged in a little bit of their own pregame trash talk and it has bitten them in the butt.  

In each of the last 2 years, the pats have had home playoff games and been beaten soundly.  This year the pats were heavily favored.  

Here's some good news.  The pats regular season home win streak is still intact as is Brady's regular season passes without an int streak. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Rajon - is correct here.  This board loves this word.  This board has bought into the concept of choke as it relates to anything outside of Foxborough hook line and sinker.  Now this board must see its team as what it truly is - chokers. 
    Posted by UD6

Translation: Stop picking on Peyton!!!

The Patriots are 21-15 in the playoffs. Good for fourth best among teams with at least ten playoff appearances.

Indy (and generously including Baltimore Colts games) are 40-40.

If the Pats are Chokers, what does that make the Colts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke. : You simply mouth the party-line and the same old tired cliches. 
    Posted by RajonRondowski

This from a guy who just cut and pasted someone else's work and then stuck a timeworn adage on the end of it.

In the immortal words of Will Hunting . . .

Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

according to this board (until about 8PM on sunday), the same.  

Personally, I have a different take on this matter, but my opinion here on the subject has consistently been dismissed.  

So, sticking with the boards historical take on choking, its important for the sake of posterity that we don't allow any revisionist attempts to take hold. 

Right?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

according to this board (until about 8PM on sunday), the same.   Personally, I have a different take on this matter, but my opinion here on the subject has consistently been dismissed.   So, sticking with the boards historical take on choking, its important for the sake of posterity that we don't allow any revisionist attempts to take hold.  Right?
    Posted by UD6

That's the best you can do? A general, "that's this board's take"?

Your opinion has been dismissed because you attempt to equate the accomplishment of a certain team with those of the Patriots.

Your opinion has been dismissed because you continually suggest a record of .583 is equivalent to .500.

I don't know where you were taught math, but they botched the job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rochfan. Show rochfan's posts

It all depends on what defines a successful season for the Patriots. Is it postseason success ? it used to be...after a run of Super Bowls ..nothing short of the Lombardi trophy would be considered successful or even acceptable.
    Now it seems ..it is to beat expectataions..ie..we were suppossed to be 8-8..9-7. The expectations seemed to have slithered down a bit..particularly recently. 
    I think it is reasonable to say that losing 2 consecutive home playoff games as "choking". There does not seem to be any more post season "magic". Tom Brady not getting any younger. The clock ticks.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

according to this board (until about 8PM on sunday), the same.   Personally, I have a different take on this matter, but my opinion here on the subject has consistently been dismissed.   So, sticking with the boards historical take on choking, its important for the sake of posterity that we don't allow any revisionist attempts to take hold.  Right?
    Posted by UD6

you talk out both sides of your mouth which also sides as your other hole ....thats why noone takes you seriously... oh ya and your a troll

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Niz - there's no need to do anymore.  The standards have been met.  Your specifics don't grant you any freedom from the title.  Its time for you to own it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Niz - there's no need to do anymore.  The standards have been met.  Your specifics don't grant you any freedom from the title.  Its time for you to own it.
    Posted by UD6

Coming from you, it means so little...

14-5 = choker, try bringing that to a 49ers forum. Thats Joe Montana's playoff record also. Let me know how that works out for you.

9-10, now that's a choker's record.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

this is another NY team beating Boston! I hate that! We did not win, it starts from the coach down. He needs to let his team express not suppress! I am sure that put a damper on the team before they came to play... Brady had very little emotion. Post season is when it counts. i can call it a choke! 
    Posted by bballfan99

Do you remember the Patriots doing a lot of talking during their runs to three SBs? I don't ...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

"choosing to be introduced as a team......

*still gives me moosebumps....It's a Vermont thing lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

YOU ARE RIGHT.  SOMETHING SMELLS.  IT'S YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  BIG SMELLY, WHINY, ENTITLED BABY.  GO CRY IN A CORNER, SCREAM AND HOLD YOUR BREATH AND KICK YOUR FEET.  YOU ARE PATHETIC, AND DON'T DESERVE SUCCESS.  YOU ARE CHOKING ON YOUR OWN BILE.

Oh, and there hasn't been a game in the 2011 season.  That will be next year.  Are you PREdicting failure?  Bet you are.  You don't have an argument, you have a series of spit punctuated rants.  No, actual fans of the team don't like you.  Why?  The only think about this team you like is the Logo.  Probably don't like that either.  So, by your very words, you are not a fan of the team.  People tell you that, and you say you have a right to be critical.  NO.  Not at the level you are at.  LIONS fans, no, PANTHER fans don't have a right to be critical at the level you are at.  So, when we say pi$s off, it is not because we aren't finding things that need fixing, it is because we don't rant and blame the ENTIRE team, structure, pricing, attitude, helmet color, location, beer prices, and radio announcers of the team.  You freak.

Posted by Davedsone

-

I love you, Man, you always make me smile.

PLAYOFFS!?!?!  Are you kiddin' me??!!!!?!  PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?!?!

But, Dad, when you yell at me in all CAPS and call me names it makes me look moderate and you look . .  er . . . crazy?

I love the Pats and will always support them.

It's you fascist Kool-Aid drinkers on this board that I can't stand.

Listen to you:  "You don't have an argument, you have a series of spit punctuated rants.  No, actual fans of the team don't like you.  Why?  The only think about this team you like is the Logo.  Probably don't like that either".

Dad, you're beginning to sound rather like a paranoid schizo -- you don't own any guns anymore, do you?

What do you mean actual fans?  You mean like "the True Fans"  or the "Real Fans" as you fascists self-define yourselves on this board.  Most of you don't even live in New England.

Awwww, my feelings are hurt.  They don't like me.

But it seems like it's the Nazis here that are always crying to mommy, as if they were spoiled rotten children playing in a sandbox in a public playground and crying to mommy, "Mommy, Mommy, he's playing in MY sandbox."

And Mom has to gently explain, "It's not YOUR sandbox, Little Johnny, it's for everyone." 

"But Mommy, Mommy,  (sniff, whine) I don't want him in the sandbox with me."

Fess up and say it like a man.  Our team choked big time and stunk up the 2011 playoffs.  See, that didn't hurt too much, did it? 

--------------- 

Sday4x4

rajon,

maybe the jets win was "tainted"?

No!  Say it ain't so, Sday4x4.   LoL  wit youse.

(to the tune of that Who song(?):  They're All Tainted! 

Patsfaninpa420

So what are you saying? We should fire Belichick and trade Brady?

No, Pat's fan, not saying that at all.  I'm saying that we should all bite the bong, like you.  LoL.

------------

Jcour382 

its typicle pink hat dribble...someone biatch slap her...er him.

Jcour must be one of those "Real Men" who does not, I repeat, does not wear a pink hat . . . except in the closet.

I love how he almost makes a slant rhyme of typicle (sic) and dribble.  He's got himself in quite a pickle.  LoL

-------------------------------

prolate0spheroid  -(I'm not making this up)-  wrote:

Choke is a term used by people who don't understand the game and therefore can't figure out what really happened.

Thanks for checking in , Doc Prostrate.  That sounds like yourself you are describing.  Enjoy your self-examination.

Huh?   LoL

-----------

p-mike writes:

in the immortal words of Will Hunting 

do you have any original thought on this matter?

Yes, I do, pee-mike the pea-brain:  movie quotes are not immortal . . . and . ..  are you still living out there in Minn or some other backwater?

----------------

rochfan says:

it all depends on what defines a successful season for the Patriots.

Yes, it depends on what "is"  is -- heard that one before.

For the Krafts I'm sure it was very successful, but for the team itself, they ended the season in abject, choking failure coughing up the biggest game of the season, after winning the bye and securing home-field advantage and being favored to win the Super Bowl.  That defines failure and choking in one sentence.

--------

Now that I've been thoroughly chastened by the resident mental midgets, I have only two more things to add. 

Nuff said.

End of story.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Now I understand Rondo is a celtics board regular so hence the fairweather comments, and the tone of the thread suggests he is not a fan, but I tell you what. I am a die hard fan, but I call it like a i see it.  I dont think Rondo told a lie.  Our team choked.  If this were the Colts, we would have been giving underoos an ear ful, and thats why he is here gloating, cuz he can put Brady in the same convo as his choker QB manning.. Yo know misery loves company...but for yu guys to sit here and be deluisional....no wonders trolls make their home here, you guys give them ammo, by blabbing all week about being the better team,. having the better qb, coach, etc, but after that stinker you make up stuff like the Jets really had the better team, or great game plan...no it was a shytty gameplan by our coaching staff that lost the game...BIllicheck outsmarting himself...why else would Crumpler get 2 balls thrown to him in the endzone after having one all year, but the guy with 10 TD's doesnt get a redzone look??   yeah, ponder that...  Lets man up,and be real, We choked!, we stunk up the joint...we were frontrunners...Yes.. WE were!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke. : - I love you, Man, you always make me smile. PLAYOFFS!?!?!  Are you kiddin' me??!!!!?!  PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?!?! But, Dad, when you yell at me in all CAPS and call me names it makes me look moderate and you look . .  er . . . crazy? I love the Pats and will always support them.   It's you fascist Kool-Aid drinkers on this board that I can't stand. Listen to you:  " You don't have an argument, you have a series of spit punctuated rants.  No, actual fans of the team don't like you.  Why?  The only think about this team you like is the Logo.  Probably don't like that either". Dad, you're beginning to sound rather like a paranoid schizo -- you don't own any guns anymore, do you? What do you mean actual fans?  You mean like "the True Fans"  or the "Real Fans" as you fascists self-define yourselves on this board.  Most of you don't even live in New England. Awwww, my feelings are hurt.  They don't like me. But it seems like it's the Nazis here that are always crying to mommy, as if they were spoiled rotten children playing in a sandbox in a public playground and crying to mommy, "Mommy, Mommy, he's playing in MY sandbox." And Mom has to gently explain, "It's not YOUR sandbox, Little Johnny, it's for everyone."  "But Mommy, Mommy,  (sniff, whine) I don't want him in the sandbox with me." Fess up and say it like a man.  Our team choked big time and stunk up the 2011 playoffs.  See, that didn't hurt too much, did it?  ---------------  Sday4x4 rajon, maybe the jets win was "tainted"? No!  Say it ain't so, Sday4x4.   LoL  wit youse. (to the tune of that Who song(?):  They're All Tainted!  Patsfaninpa420 So what are you saying? We should fire Belichick and trade Brady? No, Pat's fan, not saying that at all.  I'm saying that we should all bite the bong, like you.  LoL. ------------ Jcour382  its typicle pink hat dribble...someone biatch slap her...er him. Jcour must be one of those "Real Men" who does not, I repeat, does not wear a pink hat . . . except in the closet. I love how he almost makes a slant rhyme of typicle (sic) and dribble.  He's got himself in quite a pickle.  LoL ------------------------------- prolate0spheroid  -(I'm not making this up)-  wrote: Choke is a term used by people who don't understand the game and therefore can't figure out what really happened. Thanks for checking in , Doc Prostrate.  That sounds like yourself you are describing.  Enjoy your self-examination. Huh?   LoL ----------- p-mike writes: in the immortal words of Will Hunting  do you have any original thought on this matter? Yes, I do, pee-mike the pea-brain:  movie quotes are not immortal . . . and . ..  are you still living out there in Minn or some other backwater? ---------------- rochfan says: it all depends on what defines a successful season for the Patriots. Yes, it depends on what "is"  is -- heard that one before. For the Krafts I'm sure it was very successful, but for the team itself, they ended the season in abject, choking failure coughing up the biggest game of the season, after winning the bye and securing home-field advantage and being favored to win the Super Bowl.  That defines failure and choking in one sentence. -------- Now that I've been thoroughly chastened by the resident mental midgets, I have only two more things to add.  Nuff said. End of story.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

Actually, it isn't the "end of story".

If it's true that things "rot from the head down" (which, by the way is biologically incorrect), then what should the Patriots do about it?  Who would rather have leading this football team?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikeyyy. Show mikeyyy's posts

Anatomy of a Choke.

Rajon,

Minor point, you should not continually end your posts with the same quote
    "Nuff said. End of story."  It makes you look confused. 
      There should only be one "end of a story". . . . like I said, a minor point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

Get over it - we lost and it hurt like hell. But it's still a game. I mourned for 2 ,3 days- even had trouble sleeping couldn't get the game out of my head. But I am done with it. I still love the Patriots and Tom B and Bill B. We'll just have to try again next year. Just goes to prove how hard it is for a team to go all the way and just try and appreciate the fact that we won it three times.
    All the players and all the coaches are just human beings and don't give me the crap oh, but they get paid millions -- it is a stupid post.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts