Anatomy of a Choke.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Re: Anatomy of a Choke.

In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke. : - Yes, let's use euphemisms like some people do around "death"  as in "Pat "passed away" on Sunday.", instead of,  "Pat died on Sunday." So the Pats "failed" or "played scared" and these, my agreeable cohorts, are euphemisms for choking. It's not the end of the world, it's happened to lots of great players, great teams, and the great ones always pick themselves up and go out there and try to improve next playoff game through better preparation.  Step one is recognizing what happened and admitting that it was a failure of nerves when their preparation proved inadequate, and they realized they had a formative foe on their hands.  They had the talent to win and barring the well documented mistakes it was an imminently winnable game.  But, unfortunately, they choked . . . oops,  I mean the Pats "passed away" on Sunday. Hopefully, we will be in as good a position next year, but this year's playoff performance will be lingering in the back of our minds.  I see long-term ramifications like the ones that still linger after losing the SB to the Giants.
    Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

i dont think you know very much about football.  i think you think you do, but you dont.  also, people dont seem to like you.  you will prolly say you dont care, but its a sign that youre driving on the wrong side of the highway, man. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE] I have a dumb question: Is there any Patriots fan out there even passively rooting for the Jets?  I mean comon we have not even sniffed a Super bowl in 42 years.. In a sadistic way i really was happy to see the Sox finally win in 2004.  
    Posted by bronxlcsw[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, Ryan's obnoxious personality makes it hard to like the Jets.  If they were humbler, I think they'd get more support.  But Ryan (and the players following his lead with the trash talk) turn a lot of people off.  If they do win, they'll be insufferable I'm afraid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]

In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke. : i dont think you know very much about football.  i think you think you do, but you dont.  also, people dont seem to like you.  you will prolly say you dont care, but its a sign that youre driving on the wrong side of the highway, man. 

Posted by TroyBrown80

[/QUOTE]

-

I know I shouldn't stoop low enough as to respond to tripe like this, but since this misguided soul actually appears to, live in New England, even if from the farthest reaches, I will grant him audience.

"i dont think you know very much about football."  you write, with the "I dont think. . . "  being the key words there.

That's your opinion and you know what opinions are like --- we all have one.

Actually, I want very much for people to like me.  Just not here on this forum where a fascist state of affairs has taken root perpetrated by intolerant, ignorant bahstids, many of whom do not even live in New England, yet come on here and tell us New Englanders how to think and how to behave on our own board.  They want to tell us that they are the "Real" the "True" fans and any one who disagrees with them gets called names and attacked.  I don't care if the fascists like me or not.

Do you really want to associate yourself with those kind of people, TroyBrown80?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

In Response to Anatomy of a Choke.:
    [QUOTE]What is the definition of "choke" in sports? Here is one definition: "In sports , a choke is the failure of an athlete or an athletic team to win a game or tournament when the player or team had been strongly favored to win or had squandered a large lead in the late stages of the event. Someone who chokes may be known as a choker or, more derisively, as a choke artist . Choking in sport can be considered a form of analysis paralysis ."   -Wikipedia Here is another definition: 'To choke' is a phrase used to refer to athletes who are typically very good in their sports but fail to deliver in key situations. The immense pressure of these key moments tends to overwhelm them and they end up making an uncharacteristic mistake. Although this phrase is used most often in the context of American Football, it can apply to any sport when a normally reliable athlete fails. For example, this phrase is often used to describe Peyton Manning, who as the revered quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts has failed multiple times in big moments (for instance, when he threw an interception to lose Super Bowl 44 late in the game).  -Sports Definitions The opposite of choking is to be clutch . A clutch player or team rises to the occasion under pressure rather than collapsing.  -Wikipedia No one enjoys seeing their team choke, but if the opposite of "choke" is "clutch" then what happened to the Pats and Belichick Sunday against the Jets? Were the Pats clutch against the Jets last Sunday? No.  The Pats, and especially Belichick and Brady, choked under pressure and coughed up the biggest game of the season, the only one that really counted for anything. There is no better example of choking in the 2011 NFL season than the Pats v Jets game:  in fact the Pats should now be considered the Poster Boys for choking and coughing up a big game. After beating the Jets in a blowout a few weeks earlier did they forget the "on any given Sunday" mantra:  did they believe the media spin:  did they fail to take the Jet's bluster and mouthy, trash-talking seriously:  did they think that they only had to show up in order to win? All that bye time to prepare, and BB could not get his team ready?  That trick play at an inopportune time that should never have been on the table, then trying to throw a player under the bus for the coaches blunder?  A slow drive to nowhere with the clock running down?  A symbolic benching of Welker for even one series that sent the wrong message to your team (thank you Mr. Wilfork for being a man and speaking truth to power)?  Now the spin-miester, the Patriot Way, with Brady's foot?  Ridic-u-bobble! Organizational choke from the top down. Of course Belichick and Brady don't bear sole responsibility for the loss and are not the only ones who choked, in fact, it was a long term organizational choke that was a longtime coming. But Tom "Happy Feet" Brady and Belichick drive the train and are the men at the controls, so when the train runs off the track and crashes it's primarily the engineers who must bear the brunt of the blame. It's difficult for some fans to "fess up" and admit that their heroes choked and coughed up a big game under pressure, but this is not the first time: look at the playoff record of recent years:  It's choke after choke after choke, and I call that a trend, a distinct, disturbing trend.  But the Kool-aiders will never fess-up and admit that their infallible heroes choked and stunk up the place but will instead rest on the cliche that the Jets simply outplayed them.  No, the Pats choked. In Belichick you can trust all you want, but show me the money, show me why we should still trust him and Brady.  Because they won 3 Super Bowls many years ago?  And the Kool-Aid fans still insist that we should be grateful for a good regular season of 14 - 2, when everyone understands that the regular season only exists to get to the playoffs where it's a new season, where it's one and done, and its been done for the Pats for many years now. How many years can they coast by on past accomplishments while the Krafts print profits from their money machine by putting a decent product out there but always trying to win on the cheap while fans line up to hand over their hard earned money for the some of the highest ticket prices in the NFL, if not the highest. In Bill we trust?  Pleeeese!  Pahsahw!  Such naive BS! They say a fish rots from the head down.  Something stinks in Foxboro. Nuff said.  End of story. 

another one added to my ignore list !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke. : - I know I shouldn't stoop low enough as to respond to tripe like this, but since this misguided soul actually appears to, live in New England, even if from the farthest reaches, I will grant him audience. Posted by RajonRondowski[/QUOTE]

And where do you live?  Apparently the Vatican . . .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]

All I know is that the Pats did not play well.  Whose fault was it? The Jets?  The mistakes by Brady in holding the ball too long? Some of the sacks were on him. 

Were the receivers covered, and that is why he held on? The O line did not play well.  The D got no rush.  Sanchez did not get touched or dirty.  How could that be?  We saw how bad he is with the slightest pressure.

The D giving up the last 2 TD.s and long plays?

What happened to all our offensive weapons? How did they stop the run, the pass, the screens, the quick slants, and so on? Was it bad play calling?  

Do you call it a choke?  Last 2 years teams came in to our field and kicked the Pats around and out of the playoffs.  

Is it mental, in their heads?  Something has gone wrong.  You cannot say this is a rebuilding year after the Pats had the best record this year, beat all the remaining teams in the playoffs recently and then play like crap.  

Call it what you want, but they failed.

Posted by boomerst3

[/QUOTE]

-

Boomerst3, that's about as succinct an analysis as I've seen on this thread for all the "choke" deniers to digest.

So much great content here:

Why is the general answer to these threads.....Who you gonna get in here besides Billicheck????

The point is, he is the best guy for the job, he is supposed to be the best in history....so yes, its head scratching that this guy comes out with that gameplan...this is the same guy who goes over every situation from purposely performed safeties to win the game, to what do you do if you run out of Db's.,train Troy Brown..... but we are to believe he got outcoached by some fat, foot loving Slob who drops more f bombs then he does knowledge...c'mon y'all, atleast you should have indepentant thinking....all everyone sais...Who should be coach then...You are not a coach!!???    Bill is the best, and since he brought us 3 rings, I wil live and die by his everey word,,.he just had a bad day...!??!  Really, this guy just picked the biggest game of the season to have an off day?   Its not an off day, its called panick under pressure!

Absolutely!  When will the spin coming out of foxboro tell us that Belichick was being treated for panic attacks, a la Tony Soprano. 

Yep, every good, honest coach said its up to him to have his team prepared.  What did Rexy say after we pasted the Jest 45-3?

He said, this is on ME!  I fudged it up...I didnt have the team prepared, and I gotta step MY game UP! 

How come Billy B cant come out and say this and protect his players..?  Oh, I forgot, thats for eediot , feet smelling fatso's....but that never works....right?

I don't know if you will ever catch Coach Belichick taking a hit to protect his players.  He's always been more likely to throw his player's under the bus. 

Here's a funny one:

A few questions if you please:  if the Jets lose this weekend, will we see you back on these threads on Monday?  Will Ryan and Sanchez be fall into the "choker" category as you view the Pats?  Or are you just a pimply teenager with nothing but a computer and time on his/her hands?  Oh one last one, if after a decade-long period of SB victorys and playoff appearances - this is a Pats choke job - what have the Jets been thus far?  No SB, so did they choke last year as well?  Get a life loser.  Sorry.  Nuff said.  End of story

Does this guy assume I'm a Jet's fan or is he just unable to read very well or is he off his rocker?  Who cares if the Jets choke or the Steelers.  If they do I'm sure they will be called on it.  I'm not even sure I will devote my Sunday night to watching the game.

Absolutely. We're lucky to have TB and BB. They're the reason for the 14-2 record in the first place. All I'm saying is that they didn't do a good job last sunday, and I'm P o'ed about it. They are the best in their field, but I'm disappointed that their worst day happened at the worst time. Like some of the other posters, I'm dumbfounded that they didn't prepare for any and every situation.  I agree that there are many fairweather fans who want to can BB. Idiots. I know it's tough to distinguish bc the volume of stupid must be unusually high right now.  in terms of next year, I think this team could go undefeated. They will be stacked. All their rookie and second years players will be better, and, if they draft well, look out. They certainly have the ammo to find some difference makers. I just worry that the regular season success won't match the postseason success. This may sound silly, but at times I wonder if they need the underdog or disrespect moniker to succeed in the playoffs? Whatever happens I'll be there every step of the way. Hopefully the next championship is that much sweeter bc of this year.

I love this comment, especially where he says our Pats could go undefeated next season.  Now that I think about it, I think he has a valid point.  We may very well be stacked next season. that's our own Rockdog, I believe. 

How about these guys listing their bona-fides as New Englanders.

Sorry stupid, but yes I've lived out of town for 6 years but I still catch any Pats, Red Sox or Celtics games when ever they are on national tv. I don't rip my teams just because they had one lousy game. I go back sulk for a while and hope they figure out a way to improve. I support my team unlike "fairweather fans" like you who accuse our team of choking. You're the Facist Pig on this site, not I.    
    -
    Born, 1961 Bridgeport CTMoved to Worcester Ma 1968Moved to Wentworth NH 1971Left from 1980 - 1987 travelling with U.S. ArmyReturned to Worcester Ma 1987Moved to Pennsylvania 2000.   So, I'm pretty much FROM New England.  Not that it really matters, I am a Patriot fan, and where I live is immaterial.  YOU are the issue here.  Let's talk a bit about YOU.  YOU are losing credibility, and exposing yourself as an irrational moron.  Now YOU want to say if someone doesn't live in NE they aren't a REAL fan.  YOU are not a good advertisement for fans from New England.  YOU are an irrational, overreacting, self involved, bombastic, short sighted crybaby.  YOU are the problem here, not where someone else lives.  

If you do the math, one guy has spent about 6 out 50+ years living in NE, he now lives in PA, but still roots for the Pats instead of the Eagles or the Steelers.  The other guy has been gone for 6 years and must live near a team he could root for but claims to be a "Real' Pat's fan.

Root for whatever team you want, it's a free country, just don't come on this board, located in Boston, MA, from Kansas or MN or Arizona or where-ever, declare yourself a "Real" fan and try to tell us New Englanders how to act and relate to our team, on our board, in our city. 

And this is a good place to stop, because I agree with the commenter 100%.

Im not going to knock any Pat fan who says they choked, I know they are good fans, they are concerned.
    I just hope they give this regime another chance, it will bounce back. Remember the hardest thing is sticking with a team when something like this happens.

I suggest you look at the years prior to ALL the Superbowls, check out the old days.

I must be crazy, still a Pat fan thick or thin.

I'm sure you are too.

You got to stick with your team through thick or thin, even when they choke, even when you don't agree with the way the owner does business, or with the way the coach handles people. 

They are still our New England Patriots.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Your ability to type far outstrips your capacity to think.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]Your ability to type far outstrips your capacity to think.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

Funny how you omit the first and most important line of that speech.

We at the height are ready to decline.

I guess that in context it must make you uncomfortable given the decline of the Pat's prospects and their propensity to choke in the playoffs.

But to do so is to commit an unforgivable error of scholarship in taking lines out of context to wield them for your own evil purpose.

What happens in the play (Julius Caesar - William Shakespeare) when the characters fail to heed clear warning signs, to change immoral ways, to seize the high-ground, and to recognize the need to adapt to a changing environment is a tragedy and a failure.

This is how the quote should read in it's entirety.

There is a tide in the affairs of men
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
    On such a full sea are we now afloat,
    And we must take the current when it serves,
    Or lose our ventures. (IV.ii.269–276)

This should be interpreted as follows:  it's time for the Patriot organization to change their ways or be left behind and become the perennial Colts.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I used the part I wanted, In fact, was going to leave it with the first 3 lines.  Then I decided to keep the others.  Your point of view? You are standing in the street, screaming at the top of your lungs that the sky is falling.  The rest of us are just pointing out the fact that it's just hail.  But you enjoy screaming about doom and making long rambling posts.  Have fun.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]

I used the part I wanted, In fact, was going to leave it with the first 3 lines.  Then I decided to keep the others.  Your point of view? You are standing in the street, screaming at the top of your lungs that the sky is falling.  The rest of us are just pointing out the fact that it's just hail.  But you enjoy screaming about doom and making long rambling posts.  Have fun.  

Posted by Davedsone

[/QUOTE]

-

I used the part I wanted, In fact, was going to leave it with the first 3 lines. Then I decided to keep the others.

That's exactly the problem.  You used the parts you wanted.  That's considered intellectually dishonest.

You don't even write about football, just attack another forum user. 

The interpretation of the verse is clear and has been documented in scholarly circles ad infinitum, yet you, like the Pat's, decide you have to put your own twisted spin on things.

Read it again and this time try to comprehend it's meaning within the context of the play.

There is a tide in the affairs of men
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
    On such a full sea are we now afloat,
    And we must take the current when it serves,
    Or lose our ventures. (IV.ii.269–276)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

"If you do the math, one guy has spent about 6 out 50+ years living in NE, he now lives in PA, but still roots for the Pats instead of the Eagles or the Steelers.  The other guy has been gone for 6 years and must live near a team he could root for but claims to be a "Real' Pat's fan"

YOU wrote this.  Don't attempt to lecture me on intellect.  You don't change teams like zip codes, if YOU can, then you are precisely the kind of fan I accuse you of being, which is, a BAD one.  A fishwife of a fan, as it were.  And you post too long, like you are attempting to bore your audience into submission.  If you have something to say, you should be able to be succinct about it.  BAH HUMBUG on you, RajonFishwife.  BAH.

Oh, and you are bad at math.  Even if you dont count Connecticut, I lived in NE for 25 years.  Not 6.  Or did you NOT know that Worcester is the 2nd largest city in Massachusetts?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]"If you do the math, one guy has spent about 6 out 50+ years living in NE, he now lives in PA, but still roots for the Pats instead of the Eagles or the Steelers.  The other guy has been gone for 6 years and must live near a team he could root for but claims to be a "Real' Pat's fan" YOU wrote this.  Don't attempt to lecture me on intellect.  You don't change teams like zip codes, if YOU can, then you are precisely the kind of fan I accuse you of being, which is, a BAD one.  A fishwife of a fan, as it were.  And you post too long, like you are attempting to bore your audience into submission.  If you have something to say, you should be able to be succinct about it.  BAH HUMBUG on you, RajonFishwife.  BAH. Oh, and you are bad at math.  Even if you dont count Connecticut, I lived in NE for 25 years.  Not 6.  Or did you NOT know that Worcester is the 2nd largest city in Massachusetts?  

-

You live in Pennsylvania, don't you.  That's not New England last time I checked.

Nuff said.

End of story.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

"one guy has spent about 6 out 50+ years living in NE"

25, not 6.  with this amazing grasp you have on the facts, it is not wonder everything else you say sounds like it does.  It will be the end when I TELL you it's the end.

And the point still is, you don't change teams because you change zip codes.  Maybe that is something  a weak troll like you does.  Not me.  It's my team, forever.  

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]"one guy has spent about 6 out 50+ years living in NE" 25, not 6.  with this amazing grasp you have on the facts, it is not wonder everything else you say sounds like it does.  It will be the end when I TELL you it's the end. And the point still is, you don't change teams because you change zip codes.  Maybe that is something  a weak troll like you does.  Not me.  It's my team, forever.  

-

Wrong!

"And the point still is, you don't change teams because you change zip codes.  Maybe that is something  a weak troll like you does.  Not me.  It's my team, forever."

Wrong! Gong!  Your team is somewhere in Pennsylvania.  You live in Pennsylvania, and that makes you a Pennsylvanian.

You see, you abandoned New England, where you never really belonged in the first place.  You are not part of the cultural zeitgeist here nor are you a part of the cultural zeitgeist in PA.  You are a real nowhere man.

When I walk into a diner or a coffee-shop I can talk to any stranger, and all around me the football talk is of the New England Patriots. 

When you walk into any local joint in PA the talk is of the Eagles or the Steelers or maybe the Browns, but it's not about the New England Patriots.

When you changed your zip-code you gave up the cultural zeitgeist of New England, you are no longer a part of New England culture, yet you failed to adapt the local culture where you live making you a real nowhere man.

I suspect that you, and other out-of-towners like you, who have adapted the Pats as your team, and announced yourselves as the "real" fans on this board, based in Boston, MA, really adopted the Pats because you want to back a winning team. 

"You just want to be on the side that's winning." 

I looked it up.  It's a song by Bob Dylan. It's called Positively 4th Street.

Here are a few selected verses for you:

You got a lotta nerve
    To say you gotta helping hand to lend
    You just want to be on
    The side that's winning.

Do you take me for such a fool
    To think I'd make contact
    With the one who tries to hide
    What he don't know to begin with.

I wish that for just one time
    You could stand inside my shoes
    And just for that one moment
    I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
    You'd know what a drag it is
    to see you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Hey there- I didn't read your post, 
    As I told you, it was  too verbose
    I wish, if you had a point to make
    500 words or less you'd take

You're crazy- and you rant and rave
    Especially when you see its  Dave
    You then pretend that you behave
    but from your lunacy you can't be saved

Its getting late- I'll go away
    I'll stomp you down another day
    When I'm gone tonight- please don't be bummed.
    I'm sure tomorrow you'll say something dumb.

AND I WILL STILL BE HERE 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey there- I can't read your post, 
    As I told you, I'm as dumb as toast 
    I wish I had point to make
    but I'm about as dumb as a wooden stake. 

I'm crazy- and I rant and rave
    I don't know my name but you can call me Dave
    I can't pretend that I can behave 
    from my lunacy I can't be saved

Its getting late- I'll go away
    I'll rant and rave another day
    When I'm gone tonight,  please don't be bummed.
    I'm sure tomorrow I'll say something dumb.

AND I WILL STILL BE HERE 

Posted by Davedsone

[/QUOTE]

-

Well said from PA.  LoL

You got a lotta nerve
    To say you gotta helping hand to lend
    You just want to be on
    The side that's winning.

Do you take me for such a fool
    To think I'd make contact
    With the one who tries to hide
    What he don't know to begin with.

I wish that for just one time
    And just for that one moment
    I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time
    You'd know what a drag it is
    to see you.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Nice little rhyme.  Didn't think you were bright enough to write one.  Oh, right.  You aren't, you just took mine.  THAT is you, exactly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]Nice little rhyme.  Didn't think you were bright enough to write one.  Oh, right.  You aren't, you just took mine.  THAT is you, exactly.

-

Don't be bitter just because mine is much funnier.

BTW, you wrote post #100 on this thread. 

You and me, Dad, we taking this thread alla da way ta ad infinitum!  LoL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

You scared everyone else off with your book length posts.  This last one was a record setter for brevity.  I'm beginning to turn you.  Search your heart, you know it is the truth.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

[QUOTE]You scared everyone else off with your book length posts.  This last one was a record setter for brevity.  I'm beginning to turn you.  Search your heart, you know it is the truth.

-

Now you speaking for everyone?  The hubris of a Belichick combined with the IQ of a horse.  I can't help it if you have the attention span of a flea. 

Keep scratching.  LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke. : - I was going to respond to mthrul's points, but you've done it so much better than I could, I won't even try. More talented?  You got to be kidding.  The Pats misfired on about 4 plays that cost them the game and that's where the Jets got lucky.  If the Pats hadn't been choking up almost the entire game after the 1st quarter interception and playing scared they would have won the game and this discussion would be moot. If they hadn't choked they would have won the game: it was winnable even late into the 4th quarter. Give me a break! This is the typical revisionist history these Kool-Aiders like to engage in, so thanks for calling them on it. The Pats didn't choke, they just got outplayed by a more talented team.  Yeah, right, and I got some swamp land in Florida for sale, too, a good deal just for you. Nuff said. End of story.
    Let's see how this looks on paper...talent wise:
    Holmes and Braylon Edwards- both first round picks vs.   Welker (was he even drafted?) and Branch (was he even considered an NFL player before the trade?)
    LT vs. Green Ellis- Ahh, do I really need to go there?
    Harris and Scott vs. Guyton and Mayo- as good as Mayo is, when you add the both of them....nope.
    Pace and Thomas vs. Banta Cain and Nincovich- Really?
    Their Secondary vs. Ours- Come on, you can't be serious?
    We are much better at QB and tight end!! Other than that it's not like they had chopped liver. As far as Pro Bowl players go...it's a cyclical popularity contest, nothing more. For god's sake Merriweather made it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

uh oh mthurl presents another common board theme - draft placement equals talent. 

Thus, with the pats playing players of lower draft placement, their success demonstrates overachievement and their failure demonstrates expectation.

Its as if the pats never had high round draft picks, ever.  Here are 10 names 06-09 drafted by the pats in the first 3 rounds - Maroney, Jackson, Thomas, Wheatley, Crable, O'Connell, Brace, Butler, Tate, McKenzie. 

I think 7 of those are no longer on the team and the other 3 have yet to impress.   That's not all high draftees.  Some have hit, but lets not act as if the pats didn't have their opportunity to either draft or pick up via FA high draft picks. 

The fact is Branch and Welker were two players specifically acquired by the pats. The pats went to get them.  That is equally as valuable as the Jets picking up Edwards and Holmes. LT vs. BJGE - who had a more effective year for his team?  the latter.  

I could go on, but why?  This common refrain from pats fans is simply a way to ineffectively rationalize losses or overstate wins.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

That's such a silly argument. Suddenly the pats aren't talented. I guess this team scored over 30 points per game with smoke and mirrors. Brady can't be talented because he was a sixth round pick. Maybe he's one of the best two QB's ever, but that doesn't mean he's any talented. You need a first round pick like Sanchez or Alex Smith to be considered talented.

If only the pats had a guy like Vernon Gholston at OLB, and a guy like McKnight at RB. Who needs guys who actually produce like Woodhead and Ninkovich. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anatomy of a Choke. : Let's see how this looks on paper...talent wise: Holmes and Braylon Edwards - both first round picks vs.   Welker (was he even drafted?) and Branch (was he even considered an NFL player before the trade?) LT vs. Green Ellis - Ahh, do I really need to go there? Harris and Scott vs. Guyton and Mayo- as good as Mayo is, when you add the both of them....nope. Pace and Thomas vs. Banta Cain and Nincovich- Really? Their Secondary vs. Ours-  Come on, you can't be serious? We are much better at QB and tight end!! Other than that it's not like they had chopped liver. As far as Pro Bowl players go...it's a cyclical popularity contest, nothing more. For god's sake Merriweather made it!
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts