And Now It Begins - Revis To Hold Out

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: And Now It Begins - Revis To Hold Out

If history holds, any player who pulled this stunt and wound up getting "paid", never had the same success again!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Early in the year, they will work this out. Revis will get his big money.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: And Now It Begins - Revis To Hold Out:
    In Response to Re: And Now It Begins - Revis To Hold Out : Are you stupid?  He can play for 3 years/21 mil or he can hold out for 3 years.  So, is it only other teams players holding out who are a distraction?   Is it a distracton when Mankins claims he was lied to by Kraft and BB?  I wonder if Brady wants to play behind a shakey line the rest of his career.  May want to invest in a left tackle.  For a good one, the going rate is 9 mil a year.
    Posted by PatStats

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: And Now It Begins - Revis To Hold Out : Are you stupid?  He can play for 3 years/21 mil or he can hold out for 3 years.  So, is it only other teams players holding out who are a distraction?   Is it a distracton when Mankins claims he was lied to by Kraft and BB?  I wonder if Brady wants to play behind a shakey line the rest of his career.  May want to invest in a left tackle.  For a good one, the going rate is 9 mil a year.
    Posted by PatStats

Don't know why this troll is fed. The Kraft family runs a very loyal and honest operation. I has been proven that RK did not lie to Mankins, he was offered a very good contract, but Mankins thinks he should be paid as QB, good luck with that one he's not that good. RG & RT have the easiest job on the line.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I knew that, just f@@k up, to much W Turkey 101.  LOL

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

A guard is a glorified FB. Easily replaceable, but a CB in Rex Ryan's defense is a need. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

i hope he holds out.  he is damn good, no denying it.  i hope this escalates into a real issue and he doesn't play.  they have a history of telling players they would take care of them, and then hosing them, see Chris Baker and Leon Washington.  I would love to see this team of over-inflated egos tear itself to pieces over the summer and fall.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that no matter what happens with Revis and his contract status, Green New Jersey blows.

That is all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I would just like to take this opportunity to point out that no matter what happens with Revis and his contract status, Green New Jersey blows. That is all.
    Posted by p-mike

Yeah, that is a given, I just assume everyone knows this as part of growing up. Kind of like, "We need oxygen to live."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Phoenix125. Show Phoenix125's posts

I have no empathy for the unrestricted free-agents who do not have enough playing time to stay away from being listed as restricted free-agents.  As an example left tackle Logan Mankins was suppose to be an unrestricted free-agent but because of no salary cap he is a restricted free-agent.  Sign the offer sheet.

I become very upset when players sign a contract and do not complete the contract without both ownership and player agreeing on resigning the player to a new contract.  Cornerback Darrelle Revis has not completed his contract and ownership does not want to resign him a new contract.  With three years left on the current contract Revis should get into camp immediately or start being fined for every day he does not show up.

The difference between Mankins and Revis is Mankins completed his contract like a professional, maybe Revis can learn something from Mankins.

-Matthew 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I knew that, just f@@k up, to much W Turkey 101.  LOL
    Posted by southnpatsfan

Let me recommend the switch to Knob Creek. It's a nice clean Bourbon Buzz.That will straighten out your linemen for you. LOL

I couldn't tell you left, right, guard or tackle. O-Linemen all look the same to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

if i were revis i would hold out to. but i don't think he is right to demand a record-breaking contract

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: And Now It Begins - Revis To Hold Out : Do you see the irony here?  Mankins says he was told the same thing.  The Patriots made him an offer which apparently he does not consider "being taken care of'  The Jets did the same for Baker, Leon and Revis.  Let this be a lesson to those players who think that 'we'll take of you' means 'here's a blank contract, fill it out any way you'd like.'
    Posted by PatStats

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Reevis is in the middle of the 6 year contract he signed as a rookie. This is not the time to be holding out but he wants to "renegotiate" to become the highest paid player at his position, so he violates the contract by holding out.

Mankins played out his entire rookie contract, like a man with integrity. Now he wants to get paid on his next contract. This is the appropriate time to be doing that. No NFL player is going to come to camp without a contract.  Nothing whatsoever wrong with that, as I see it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

Will Revis be a distraction this year? He already is and it's only mini camp.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Revis will probably hold out some of the pre-season this year and next but still play the regular season if the Jets don't renegotiate, but I can see him sitting out the final year then bolting to another team afterwards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

LOL, the media can't be serious about the jests be a true contender, their team is nothing but patchwork.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

IMHO neither players have any leverage here , especially not Mankins LOL.  Cmon now , we dont even need to go into his situation , he plays for the Pats , 'nough said. Some people seem to think that the jets absolutely must pay Revis and give him some monster deal. I couldnt disagree more w/ that train of thought. If he was in our " read and react : type scheme I'd probably feel a little different. Obviously not because he's w/ us , because he would being doing it much more on his own. The jets play a " read and attack " style of D , where pressure is constant and a absolute must. His system is all about the front 7 , not the back 4. Sure it always helps when you have a guy like Revis , but anyone that knows football can see that their success comes from playing great TEAM D. Theres no doubt in my mind that they would still be a top 5 D w/out Revis. Id love to have this " good " problem though. Revis is a great player and should be paid like a top 3-5 CB. Again Ill give the guy his props all day , but lets get a couple things straight here. There are NO shutdown corners in todays game. Revis doesnt play guys man/one on one for more than a couple plays a game , maybe 4-8 plays. This is something that kills me , I hear people talk about him as if the guy lines up across from someone and shuts him down in man coverage all day. Not true , not even close to being true. If a nobody like me can manage to see most of the all 22/coach/game tape , then the losers that make up that dogchit sandwhich known as Felger and Mazz , NFL LIVE etc should be able to see it as well. One show that I really like and think is great is Playbook on The NFL Network. Every week they go over all the games that were played and show you the "all 22" from the "sky cam". I was at the first jets game when Revis allegedly shut down Randy , which couldnt be further from the truth. Moss actually beat Revis off the line and had steps on him multiple times. Moss beat him that day , I was there , I saw it happen and playbook did a very good at showing it. Of coarse you would never hear this from the "Media" because they absolutely su ck at life. Moss doesnt have 135/2 TDs and hes dogging it or he got shut down. I swear people on here do the same thing as well , they'll just repeat what some other loser-azzhole said , right after he just stole the same idea/thought from some other sh muck muck. Instead of actually looking at the tape and finding out for yourself that 12 was hurried all day and hit over 20 times , 21 to be exact. No WR/QB/RB is going to have a good day w that type of pressure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

In Response to Re: And Now It Begins - Revis To Hold Out : Let me recommend the switch to Knob Creek. It's a nice clean Bourbon Buzz.That will straighten out your linemen for you. LOL I couldn't tell you left, right, guard or tackle. O-Linemen all look the same to me.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I'll have to check out "Knob Creek", but I have to warn you I love my Turkey, wake up clean an clear.

And your right left or right, what difference does it make, just get the damn job done!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Let me recommend the switch to Knob Creek. It's a nice clean Bourbon Buzz.That will straighten out your linemen for you. LOL
    I couldn't tell you left, right, guard or tackle. O-Linemen all look the same to me
    ."
         ~ewhite

First things first...I gotta get the most insightful post outta the way.  Ewhite's recomendation is worth it's weight in gold.  I don't drink anymore, but IF I start up ever again, you can bet I'll be hittin' the smoky & rich, but unbelievably smooth, clean taste that Knob Creek offers.  Everyone that still drinks, should really consider buying a barrel or two of this fantastic bourbon.  ALSO, his ast line unintentionally speaks volumes RE: Logan Mankins (more on that later).  Gotta debunk some of Patstats misconceptions first:

"Are you stup#d?  He can play for 3 years/21 mil or he can hold out for 3 years.  So, is it only other teams players holding out who are a distraction?   Is it a distracton when Mankins claims he was lied to by Kraft and BB?"
         ~Patstats

Patstats (and ALL):

Firstly, Mankins and his agent have stated this as the main point of contention RE: His Deal... 
         "Mankins says he approached the Patriots following the 2008 season regarding an extension. Citing the uncertain labor situation, Patriots owner Robert Kraft reportedly told him he would extend his contract following the 2009 season."

Further NOW, Mankins has given the following quote for the media:
         "Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how   you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."
    ...And he's in the wrong (and so are you here on this one).  Here's WHY:  Ya see, Anybody can "claim" anything really.  Mankins, upon saying that he was "lied
    to" by Kraft and NE, Has given ZERO further statement denying The Patriots news release to The Media, THAT this deal offered by NE to him, IS in fact a false report...and he certainly WOULD have IF this were th case (further details I offer later).

"Why would Mankins sign the offer sheet.  There is close to zero benefit for him to do so right now.  For doing the bare minimum, he loses very little money and still is a FA next year.  He is one of many guys in that position in the NFL.  When they signed their contracts, they had expected to be UFAa this year and then the rules changed."

Mankins SHOULD sign NE's offer sheet, and here's WHY:  Regarding Mankins specifically, Logan Mankins in being offered a 5 year contract for 35 million, IS thus and WOULD thus be paid amongst the Top 5 Offensive Guards in the NFL (and this has been noted several times here).  NOW, What HASN'T been noted (except barely in passing), IS the position Logan Mankins plays:  Offensive Guard. 
         NOW, Have you ever seen a Positional Pyramid for the NFL?  The gist is extremely simple:  We ALL know that certain positions on the NFL field of play are more important than other positions...  Although, We'd like to believe it takes 11 men counting on each other and playing as a team, to be Victors...deep down, we know the reality to be quite different.  Certain spots are harder to fill with a good player, certain spots see more action, and thus are subject to BOTH more injuries on the negative side, But/And subject to make more of a game-playing/changing "Impact" on the positive note...  The largest point being that NOT all positions are equal, and thus NOT all positions are PAID the same (no duh, right? 
         Positional Pyramids are always at least somewhat subjective, YET they aren't ever that far off in terms of WHAT position are Higher (i.e. More Important) than other spots.  I won't go into detail, but here's just 1 example of the tier breakdown from top to bottom (should be read in terms of having/finding an EXCELLENT player at that spot):
    ~Quarterback (Tier 1)
    ~Offensive Left Tackles, Defensive Ends (at least 4-3 strongside), Rush Linebacker, Cornerback (Tier 2)
    ~Defensive Tackles, No. 1 Wide Receivers, 3-4 Nose Tackle, 3-4 Defensive End (Tier 3)
    ~No. 2 Wide Receiver, Right Offensive Tackle, Runningback (Tier 4)
    ~Safety, Defensive End (4-3 weakside), 3-4 Outside Linebacker (Strongside), 4-3 Inside Linebacker (Tier 5)
    ~No. 3 Wide Receiver, 3-4 Inside Linebacker, Tight End, Offensive Guard and/or Offensive Center (Tier 6)
    ~Kicker, Punter (Tier 7)

/>Now man, I do NOT wanna go into detail of who's where (not my point).  The Greater point being that Yes-Positional Players jump up or down a notch, BUT look man, A QB ain't NOwhere near a Punter in value, importance, replacement, and/or pay.   LIKEWISE, A shutdown #1 CB ain't even close to an Interior Offensive Lineman in these factors...sorry, no way.  FURTHER, RE: Logan Mankins, and his team and system...Mankins plays for one, If not the very best pocket-savy QBs in the entire league.  And lately, The Patriots have been (like many in this league), A Pass-First Offense=Easier for overall protection.  Systematically, Mankins plays in a zone-scheme run-defense=Easier job than a man-blocking team system (like Jahri Evans for example).

~Finally, RE: "Logan Mankins signing his Rookie Contract with the expectation of being an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of it... 

The POINTS are 
    #1-NFL Players Association are the ones who wanted an UNcapped year this year (i.e. HIS teamates and opponents)...They did NOT sign the bargaining agreement (not even the 1 year one)=MORE Players per team were allowed by each team to be RESTRICTED Free Agents. 
    #2-Logan Mankins was a FIRSTRound Draft Selection...and he got paid as one.  Jahri Evans was a 4th Rd Draft Selection...and HE got paid as one.  Also, in light of this: Logan Mankins and his agent "hedged their bets" so to say.  Mankins was nowhere close to a Projected 1st rder in his draft class, YET when he was elected IN Round 1, Mankins and his aget made the MOST outta it:  Signing a Rookie Contract for an extra year (when he didn't have to, but wanted to in order to secure that 1st rder $).

Possibly now, Mankins is insulted that he doesn't get as much for a contract offer for a better offensive guard (Evans), WHO has been paid far less already (4th rder cmpared to 1st rder), AND NOW, Mankins wants the SAME or more than Evans or else he's "insulted."   Alas, In the end, Is it even possible that New Orleans either A) Is rewarding Evans a little extra for having a 4th rd contract as a rook, OR maybe even that New Orleans happens to be OVERpying Evans in EITHER case?

"Revis believes that he was promised something this year, regardless of where he is in his contract.  Mankins believes he was promised something, as he has stated.  The problem is, I doubt Kraft or Johnson ever said that they'll pay X dollars for X years.  So, the player and the ownership interpret being taken care of very differently.  Mankins has greater leverage because he can sit for 10 games play for 6, lose just a little bit of money and walk away next year and get 8 mil a year from someone.  Revis will have to sit out for a long time and will leave 21 mil on the table."

Alright, RE: raft lying:  New England reported the deal to BOTH the Boston Globe, which reported it @ 7 mil for 5 years, AND NE's front office corrected the number when they reported it next to Te Boston Herald (which says now that the deal was a little OVER 7 mil a year).  With ZERO correction or denial from Mankins camp.  So now, Mankins has leverage to sit out until week 10 this year (or he WON'T even be a Free Agent), SO next year as it looks like they'll be an NFL work-stoppage (thus=Mankins 2 years removed from playing).  And even IF there's zero work-stoppage, Do you honestly believe that teams will be lining up 10 deep for a zone-blocking Offensive Guard, whom has turned down top 5 OG Money, and has bad-mouthed the Owner AND Franchise as well...?  Yea.

"Jizzy, you are such an idiot.  If you had any brain at all, you'd have realized this is just a stupid premise.  Revis has almost no leverage unless he is willing to 1)sit out for 3 years or 2)lose the guarantee of 21 mil.
    This is for you, you retaaad."
     ttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8190da1c/article/contract-option-will-compel-revis-to-attend-jets-camp

I don't know- You say Kraft and NE "probably didn't offer Mankins the money" (although it was reported to be true by BDL Bos. Globe, CBS, NFL.com, and USA Today).  Yet, you offer an article RE: Revis...Did you even read it?

This is the main premise quote of the article RE: The Jets Front Office and a new contract for Revis:
    "The Jets are prepared to make Revis the richest defensive back in NFL history with a contract offer worth more than $100 million, sources recently told Newsday."
    I mean, did ya even SEE any problematic wording in that phrase, or is it just now scripture for you?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Thanks Laz, I was waiting for your take on Mankins.

Great post!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

excellent.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

I didn't delete anything. I'll take your irrational Jets defensiveness as a sign of outright and total defeat on this.  Case closed. Final statement: Revis isn't done barking in 2010.
    Posted by russgriswold

Russ, why are you such an insightful poster on these pats boards and such a troll on the bruins boards??? LOL

Anyway, I think Revis will hold out. He's that type of player with a bloated ego who just wants to get paid. He is starting to become a distraction for the jets, which is good for us. I think NYJ is so overrated and will be exposed this year. They restocked their team with a bunch of washed up scrubs. I think they will implode and finish around 8-8. I also agree that gholston has been a major bust. That Rex Ryan defense should have helped him, and he hasnt done anything

Sections
Shortcuts