And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands.

Who are the jets?  Do they play football?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The Bills are a pretty good team ...  And the Phins might win a few games this year ... can't think of anyone else the Pats should be concerned with. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

This is great and I also believe the Jets have a good shot at not making the Playoffs. Their schedule isn't all that easy this year. When I scanned down the list of games I thought there was an outside shot they could be 2-5 after their first 7 games. That'd be sweet seeing Ryan Break down during a press conference. He'd hit a Chinese buffet and blow the staples out of his stomach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I have to say I dont think the jets are as bad as some of you are saying.  They can be solid on D, their run game has potential, but is unproven, but their O really rests on their boy Dirty Sanchez.  If he improves a bunch, they can challenge, if he doesnt, they can be 6-10 or worse.  Now in 2 years, they should be worse because they should lose a few quality young guys due to new contract demands. In 2 season (assuming a full season) I can see them 4-12.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Let see they have Mangold, Revis, Harris all wanting to be the highest paid player at their position. Plus throw in Ferguson and your looking at around 50 million a year for 4 players.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Im so tired of these corners getting so much money. QBs, Pass Rushers, and WRs are the people who should even be sniffing money like this and really I only think QBs should but sadly thats not how this market works anymore.

Nnamdi got overpaid and now Revis wants to get paid even more than that? The Jets need to hold damn ground on this kid because this makes it worse for every other team in the league. Dont get me wrong because I have so much respect for Revis as a player and what he does on Sundays but dont inflate the market because your being greedy.

Because when it comes time to resign our corners and if they get outpriced boy oh boy its going to be tough to replace em or even sign em for that matter. I think if the Pats knew the market for corners was going to get so expensive they would have just resigned Asante.

Fact-Terrence Newman CB for the Cowboys earns more than 10 mill a year. Pathetic

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands.:
    Im so tired of these corners getting so much money. QBs, Pass Rushers, and WRs are the people who should even be sniffing money like this and really I only think QBs should but sadly thats not how this market works anymore. Nnamdi got overpaid and now Revis wants to get paid even more than that? The Jets need to hold damn ground on this kid because this makes it worse for every other team in the league. Dont get me wrong because I have so much respect for Revis as a player and what he does on Sundays but dont inflate the market because your being greedy. Because when it comes time to resign our corners and if they get outpriced boy oh boy its going to be tough to replace em or even sign em for that matter. I think if the Pats knew the market for corners was going to get so expensive they would have just resigned Asante. Fact-Terrence Newman CB for the Cowboys earns more than 10 mill a year. Pathetic
    Posted by Pancakespwn

Great post. I COMPLETELY agree.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla-2010. Show MVPkilla-2010's posts

agreed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

It seemed like the owners were going to do fairly well at not going crazy in an uncapped year.  Chicago went a little overboard, but that was it.  If the Jets cave in, it's only going to create more pressure on other clubs to cave in.  How will the league re-institute a salary cap in a new CBA if teams have such big deals on the books?  I guess they could always grandfather the deals made this year.  IMHO, if the owners break ranks and even a few teams hand out mega deals this year, the players will smell blood and not agree to a salary cap in the new CBA; at least not without fighting to within an inch of death.  I think the salary cap was a good thing for the NFL in general.  I guess if your team is in a good market, you might not like it.

This possible move by the Jets risks creating a negative ripple effect throughout the NFL.  Of course, as with anything else in the economy, when costs go up, so do prices.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Where does it end? There is plenty of money in the NFL to go around. How does an owner justify paying that much for one player? Revis deserves a hefty raise, but $100 million?

Next, you'll have offensive lineman demanding $7 million or more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Hey Leon,

Personally, I'm sick of all the Jets talk on these boards.

No news on Mankins. As for the Celtics, I was very impressed with their run through the playoffs after being written off by many. They fought to the end and came up a little short. Give props to the Lakers.

Edit: Lol, I was responding to a post by Leon, then poof it was gone!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands.:
    It seemed like the owners were going to do fairly well at not going crazy in an uncapped year.  Chicago went a little overboard, but that was it.  If the Jets cave in, it's only going to create more pressure on other clubs to cave in.  How will the league re-institute a salary cap in a new CBA if teams have such big deals on the books?  I guess they could always grandfather the deals made this year.  IMHO, if the owners break ranks and even a few teams hand out mega deals this year, the players will smell blood and not agree to a salary cap in the new CBA; at least not without fighting to within an inch of death.  I think the salary cap was a good thing for the NFL in general.  I guess if your team is in a good market, you might not like it. This possible move by the Jets risks creating a negative ripple effect throughout the NFL.  Of course, as with anything else in the economy, when costs go up, so do prices.
    Posted by carawaydj

I may be wrong, but haven't the Bears shelled out some big money this off season? I agree with you. If the Jets dish out some big money a ripple effect throughout the NFL seems very likely. It wouldn't help the Mankins situation (if it can be helped at all), the Chris Johnson situation, and would trigger many more holdouts.

And of course, fans would be rewarded with higher prices.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

100 million dollars is alot of money for a deal but the word that really matters is "guararteed".  I hope the Jets are dumb enought to sign this guy to a huge deal because of one good season.  Nothing would be better than having to watch the Jets squirm when they are forced to make tough roster cuts because of salary cap limitations.  Go Pats!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

100 million dollars is alot of money for a deal but the word that really matters is "guararteed".  I hope the Jets are dumb enought to sign this guy to a huge deal because of one good season.  Nothing would be better than having to watch the Jets squirm when they are forced to make tough roster cuts because of salary cap limitations.  Go Pats!
    Posted by wonderdrums

How great would it be if they ended up making Revis and Mangold the most paid players at their positions? They'd have a couple good players and a ton of scrubs under a salary cap. Ha, I'd love it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I know we all hate the Jets and would love to see them implode, but ANY mega buck deal in the NFL will come back to haunt us.  If not for the reasons I stated in my post above, for this very simple reason...

If Revis gets $100 million, the amount it will take to re-sign any good DB will skyrocket.  We are all hoping Butler and McCoutry will be studs.  Fat chance we will be able to re-sign them if the market for good DB's ends up being priced like a franchise QB.  Since our 2nd rounders are being signed for 4-year deals, it doesn't give them many years are real production with us.  Maybe a slight exaggeration but you get the point.  Nothing good can come of this in the long term.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarylandFan. Show MarylandFan's posts

Today is Father's Day, how could we forget Antonio Cromartie who has fathered 7 children in 5 states. Happy Father's Day Antonio. BTW, his contract expires at the end of the 2010, he'll want big bucks too like Revis, another $100 mil man? He has a large extended family that needs his support. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I think if there's a salary cap again this would be a GREEEEAAAAT idea for the Jets to tie $100 million to a cornerback!!!! :-D

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Yep...either the Jets pay him some un-Godly money, or they can expect a long holdout: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/06/19/2010-06-19_makes_no_cents_for_revis_not_to_hold_out.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Hey guys, let's change up the offense a bit here. Start talking about how GREAT the move of paying Revis 100 mil. is!
    I think he is the ultimate NFL player and worthy of being the highest paid player not only at his position but the highest paid of ANY position, he's worth it! <revis, are you reading this? />
    Personally, I think it would be GREAT if the Jet's paid him that kind'a dough. Fork over 10 mil per year at Mangold too!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Jets will be better with Revis than without this year, especially if he's happy.  I don't think it would be a good long term decision to give him a 100mil contract but they seem to be going for broke this year anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

PatStats, you blame the Agents for the holdouts of players with overinflated perceptions of there own worth. It's not the players, it's the agents that hear a Head Coach say I have the best at such and such position and demand that the player they represent gets paid like the best.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands. : You do realize that's not all in the same year, right?
    Posted by PatStats

Yea, I do.

$20million is a bigger cap hit than any QB in the league.  Not a smart idea at the cornerback position.  Corners shouldn't take up 10-20% of your cap space.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands. : Who is getting 20 million?
    Posted by PatStats

Revis is demanding $16-20 million a year.

He wants to be paid more than Asomugha, who is being paid $15-16 million a year.

If there's a salary cap in place, I don't think one cornerback is worth 10-15% of your cap space.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands.:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818b57f9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true That is the link to the story on Revis becoming a $100 million dollar player. This will be one of the worst moves ever I am sure of it. He is a great young CB that is for sure but so was Champ Baily and he never got that kind of cash. They will be handcuffing themselves for years to come by paying this kid $12 million dollars per season! Thats a 12 million dollar cap hit every year for one guy who MAYBE has 3 or 4 years of good play in him before he starts to decline. On top of that Mangold is holding out and D Brick is getting a new deal oh yea and their second inside linebacker David Harris I think his name is also wants a new deal. It looks like they went from having a humble group of young players that Mangini drafted and taught to be humble turning into a bunch of money grubbing wh*res after ONE good season. Blame Rex Ryan for all of this. If you tell the whole world you have the best players and thats all you do is brag about your team this is what happens it goes to their heads and now you have your entire young nucleus of that team demanding new deals. The Jets WILL MISS THE PLAYOFFFS.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Mr Burns says "eeeexxxxcellent..."!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: And the Jets might just have a $100 million dollar man on their hands. : That's the funny thing. The pick they gave up to Green Bay, they got back from the Saints.  So, essentially, they gave up nothing.  I mean who trades up in the first round to pick a tight end but gets their own pick back from a third team?  If either of our tight ends this year are close to what Keller has been we'll be lucky (and good).
    Posted by PatStats

Keller isn't a good blocker.  I think Gronkowski has a chance to be a far better all-around threat than Keller.

Sections
Shortcuts